Matrix Games Forums

Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual previewThe fight for Armageddon begins! The Matrix Holiday sales are starting today!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A Brief Something

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> A Brief Something Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A Brief Something - 5/20/2011 6:48:11 PM   
AlanBernardo

First off, let me just say that ATG is a fantastic, fun game. Though I had AT I never really played with it that much. But since the release of ATG, I've been trying to get things down. Generally, the AI seems to always get the better of me, though things aren't that easy for it the more I understand the game.

This is just a little progress report on my latest attempt to ground the AI into fine pepper. I suspect things will happen the other way around, but at least I'm enjoying myself. I'm not even close to a PBEM challenge, at least not one where I'll not totally shame myself and family. Even my dog often sits near me while I'm playing ATG, and his eyes show a certain amount of commiseration, the way dogs often do.

So here is where I stand, on the brink of something big happening:

This scenario is between myself and two AI. The AIs have been at war with each other since the first turn, in a game that is probably ten turns old. While the AIs were at war-- a war in which the Empire has certainly gotten the upper hand-- I have steadily move my forces to the border with the Empire.

That's where things stand right now. Just on the other side of the Empire is the Dragon Empire, probably trying to hold on. I've considered allying with the Dragon Empire, but right now I am have not been given that option. I would dearly want to pinch the Empire from both sides, as, in looking at how far ahead the Empire is in production, etc., that would seem to be my only chance of surviving.

I'm in good shape with oil and raw materials, and supply has been maintained. My feeling is that I need to create another defensive line behind the two forming, with a corresponding HQ.

I'll need to scan the manual to find out why it is I cannot form an alliance with the Dragon Empire, but I suspect it is because I have never actually come in contact with it. If the Empire gives me time, I'll attempt some sort of sea operation to try and get in contact with the Dragon Empire, if that be the reason why I can't form an alliance.

Alan

< Message edited by AlanBernardo -- 5/20/2011 7:49:56 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: A Brief Something - 5/20/2011 7:48:45 PM   
Webizen

First, it is not possible to ally with the AI. You can only ally with another human player. Secondly, I wouldn't wait to long to attack one of the AI, especially if it is the weaker one you are facing. Defense is important but also remember that the best defense is an offense. The AI will build lots of stuff if given the time to do so. In fact it will overbuild to its on detriment at times. That is something Vic may tweak in 2.04 before it is released in final or it may wait to 2.05.

If you want to play a 2 human vs 3 or 4 AI game, let me know and we'll ally in that game and see what we can do.

Tac2i

(in reply to AlanBernardo)
Post #: 2
RE: A Brief Something - 5/20/2011 7:59:05 PM   
AlanBernardo

Oh, no allies in solitaire. That's kind of a bummer.

Of course I have to make a decision here. The nation I'm facing is the stronger one, with the weaker just to the northwest of the stronger. I'm going to have to attack sooner or later, of that I'm positive. The big question is how long do I wait. It certainly seems to me that the Empire has a bucket-load of forces. In bringing my fighters close to the front, the intention was to do some reconnaissance, to see just what is there.

Your suggestion might be fun about PBEM. Maybe I can learn something, though I'm not sure about how swift I can turn my turns. I'm slightly pressed for time.

Thanks,

Alan

< Message edited by AlanBernardo -- 5/20/2011 8:01:51 PM >

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 3
RE: A Brief Something - 5/20/2011 8:13:55 PM   
Webizen

You could, of course, set up a 2 human vs three of four AIs game and play both the human spots. When you are ready for a PBEM just PM me and we'll get one started. Game doesn't have to be fast. I get fairly busy at times myself.

< Message edited by Webizen -- 5/20/2011 8:15:28 PM >

Tac2i

Post #: 4
RE: A Brief Something - 5/20/2011 8:32:08 PM   
Josh

Webizen couldn't be more right, you won't win the war with a defensive strategy... at least I haven't played it that far. Attack as fast you can while still holding some sort of line... because the AI *will* outflank you.
It is adviseable to have indeed some sort of defensive line behind your lines, but that can be a fast moving group, or a few Inf units well dug in (in woods and cities, hills, behind rivers).

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 5
RE: A Brief Something - 5/20/2011 11:01:31 PM   
henri51

Note that in ransom scenarios, because of the advantages given to the AI, a "weak" AI is an illusion; contrary to a human, an AI player can build a force comparable to your own with only a couple of cities. In my AAR "Random take 2", I made the mistake of considering the British with their 2 or 3 cities a negligible force while I dealt with the Japanese, and the British almost overwhelmed me when they hit my flank, despite my holding over 12 cities and a large number of resource hexes.

When fighting 2 AI enemies, find a choke point where you can hold on with a minimum force (the AI is very good at flowing around your flanks), and throw your whole force on the other enemy, preferably one who is at war with another AI.

Henri

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 6
RE: A Brief Something - 5/21/2011 4:31:24 AM   
AlanBernardo

I've decided that there is no time better than the present, taken the advice of some here, and attacked the Empire. So far, after two turns of the war, I've made good progress. The Empire has to have more than it's showing. I looked into doing some air reconnaissance, but my fighters don't seem to have the needed range, though they are not far from the front. Maybe they just need more APs.

Here's a look from the main front:

Now a zoomed-out view:

The AI tried to land a force in the northeast, but some of my air units stationed in a city apparently took care of them. I've added a new HQ with some divisions to deal with this invasion. There's not much room at the main front, so the Empire has to find a different avenue of attack. Either that or an attempt to just plow through.

Oil and RAW are still good. I'm producing more supply, some LT IIs, and more dive-bombers and fighters.

Alan

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 7
RE: A Brief Something - 5/21/2011 4:28:58 PM   
AlanBernardo

The war with the Empire continues:

The target here is the city to the southwest, Jiaxian. And there to the northwest, I want to hold the line, with other forces coming as support. I'm bringing in a lot of armor: the AI has some ACs and a few tanks, but mostly rangers and riflemen. It has some air in the area, but not nearly as much as I have. The statistics show the pendulum swinging my way.

To the northeast, the threat has for now disappeared:

The Empire brought in a stack of units, mostly rifle, which my armor quickly disposed of.

Right now I'm pretty confident buy wary.

Alan

Post #: 8
RE: A Brief Something - 5/21/2011 8:12:30 PM   
AlanBernardo

It's a bit of a strain trying to stop playing this game. But I've come across the fuel issue, it not being a good idea to attack with 15 dive-bombers before getting situated with the troops. I've learned my lesson.

Here's the scoop, with supply level turned on:

Nothing else is happening anywhere else. So far it has been a struggle. I got caught with a few situations where certain units could not attack into certain hexes, like paddies and jungle. I desperately want to take the city just to the southwest and roll up on the enemy, which just keeps moving from narrow flank to narrow flank in a frenzied effort to break my lines.

I've learned to use my dive-bombers and fighters effectively, I believe. But doing so without keeping an eye on oil has caused some delays in the movement of the front. Producing a bunch of aircraft simply doesn't work without the necessary stuff to keep them flying and working effectively.

As the Empire is just pouring troops down from the northwest, I really don't know what the Dragon Empire is doing. It would seem that the Empire, saddled as it is on two fronts, is slacking off somewhere. Maybe the Dragon Empire is helping me by siphoning troops or I am helping it.

Alan

Post #: 9
RE: A Brief Something - 5/22/2011 3:24:54 AM   
AlanBernardo

The war continues. The AI continues to shift back and forth from one flank to the other. It has now shifted up north, leaving the south apparently not as well defended.

Getting rather tired of this seesaw strategy, the plan is to seal things off and hold the line defensively there, and bear down on Jiaxlin. If I can capture and hold that city, rolling up entirely on the Empire's northern army is a distinct possibility. This back and forth could go on indefinitely, so I must make a move to put a stop to it. I've got two divisions of artillery in place for defense. Some AT guns have been moved in, and more reinforcements are coming to support the attack on Jiaxlin.

Another consideration is whether to disband some of my airforce, bring an engineer in, construct an airbase or air factory (both of which, I believe, support air units), in a consolidation effort to get my airpower more concentrated. It is probable also that a new HQ will be formed in support of the attack on Jiaxlin.

Here is a bird's eye view of the main action and what's behind the Empire:

From this shot it looks as if the Dragon Empire is eating up a little of the Empire's territory. If I could switch the Dragon Empire to human owned I'd have certain victory. :) I have no idea what they are doing, if anything.

Alan

Post #: 10
RE: A Brief Something - 5/22/2011 4:28:09 AM   
springer

Keep at it Alan!

Why would you disband your airforce?  Why not just move the planes you need where you want them.  If you disband them, they'll lose valuable experience.

Post #: 11
RE: A Brief Something - 5/22/2011 5:06:41 AM   
AlanBernardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: springer

Keep at it Alan!

Why would you disband your airforce?  Why not just move the planes you need where you want them.  If you disband them, they'll lose valuable experience.

Yeah, I considered it, but decided against it, especially after I found the city I was going after full of all sorts of high-tech aircraft. I'm going to need to upgrade my aircraft and simply use them more judiciously. The city itself is not guarded with a lot of troops, so the feeling is that I can start to force the aircraft to scatter, and then try to pound at the Empire's oil hexes. I only wish the Dragon Empire would do something, if it isn't already. :)

Alan

Alan

(in reply to springer)
Post #: 12
RE: A Brief Something - 5/22/2011 6:42:26 PM   
AlanBernardo

The war continues. Command is getting a bit nervous and frustrated, to say the least. The Dragon Empire does appear to be chewing up Empire territory. For its part, Empire is now swinging to the other flank. It doesn't seem likely that it will be able to do anything on the right flank. There is a group of low mountains that makes ingress near impossible, with alleys even narrower than they are.

I do believe I can hold that part of the front, and maybe the Empire feels the same way. There is some artillery on the right and some ACs and a few tanks, but nothing that appears to be over-whelming.

It also seems apparent that the Empire might be worried about Jiaxlin. What I'd like to do is seal off the area and cut Empire supply. In the city itself a nice-sized airforce, with some powerful units, is really causing problems. I'm considering a possible update to Divebomber II. I already have Fighter IIs.

What is also distinctly possible is that eventually the Empire is going to get squeezed pretty tight, with the Dragon Empire swinging down from southwest.

Offensively, I'm still acting a bit timidly. It will be a long war if I attempt to take Jiaxlin by force. It's all about where the AI is going to use up its manpower and how I can exploit that. I'm thinking also that I might upgrade my infantry and start to build some units that are cheap and use no fuel. Right now I have very few of these units. I have, however, quite a number of Flak units: right now it's the only way to protect my troops from the Empire's air onslaught.

In all, I've probably run about 20 turns. This war could last into the next decade.

Alan

< Message edited by AlanBernardo -- 5/23/2011 3:35:08 AM >

Post #: 13
RE: A Brief Something - 5/23/2011 3:42:56 AM   
AlanBernardo

It looks like I've completely sealed the area. With the Dragon Empire getting closer and closer it is doubtful the Empire will be able to crack the seal.

In the meantime I'm aiming at Jiaxian. The Empire still might have something south of the city, and the plan is to transport some units over to inspect.

Here's the situation immediately after the turn:

My artillery are pounding away at Empire positions. The outlook looks good. I now might have to think about what will happen once the Dragon Empire comes down from the south. We have a Berlin situation in the works (more diplomatic options in ATG, besides declaring war or allying, would be very cool).

Alan

Post #: 14
RE: A Brief Something - 5/23/2011 1:09:18 PM   
Webizen

Nice to see you using my NATO counters and you appear to be learning to play the game effectively. This game is a lot of fun.

< Message edited by Webizen -- 5/23/2011 6:44:59 PM >

Tac2i

Post #: 15
RE: A Brief Something - 5/23/2011 5:24:05 PM   
AlanBernardo

Somehow I knew the Empire had more to offer as far as stiffening in defense. They've brought down a lot of armor and its airforce, though destroyed at Jiaxian, is still strong.

The situation at the beginning of a turn, a few turns later:

Jiaxian has been captured, and there doesn't seem to be much of a threat in that area. There is a tank factory, just to the southwest of the city, that I need to capture. Also I've built a shipyard, for naval creation, to see what if anything the Empire is doing off the coast.

I've upgraded to medium tanks, and am still producing AT units, to hold a defensive line on the main front. My airforce, relocated, is completely in charge in the area. However, I'll need to move it closer to the front to contend with the Empire's airforce, more than likely running raids from Sheffield.

Sometime soon I am going to have to begin to hit key production cites and cities with my divebomber IIs.

Besides AT guns, mentioned above, I still have a huge amount of artillery, which has been pounding away and destroying Empire armor. I do believe that once I move my air arm closer I can take control of the front and push farther to the northwest.

I really have to be wary of any Empire landings way up north. I'm going to need to get some naval units up there to protect the area.

Alan

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 16
RE: A Brief Something - 5/23/2011 6:48:00 PM   
Webizen

What AI level are you using? A-, A, A+?

Tac2i

Post #: 17
RE: A Brief Something - 5/23/2011 8:06:40 PM   
AlanBernardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webizen

What AI level are you using? A-, A, A+?

I think I mentioned earlier, possibly, that it was AI-. Looking at the charts, the AI was behind initially in production but soon soared beyond. After a few more runs at the AI-, I'll certainly even things up.

Back to the war, naval operations have begun. I'm still sealing things and pinching the Empire. I've found the source of Empire reinforcements and am developing a plan to take care of it:

Deliberation is the key here. I want to pinch the Empire and continue a somewhat defensive stand while my navy, airforce, and artillery take care of the trouble spots. I also want to roll up on the enemy, if I can, through amphibious attacks.

Alan

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 18
RE: A Brief Something - 5/23/2011 9:11:17 PM   
springer

I think AI- is a nice way to get the hang of the game.  You'll be thoroughly challenged, but also have high odds of winning. The AAR is looking good: It looks like you are continue to expand your strategic repertoire!

< Message edited by springer -- 5/23/2011 9:13:23 PM >

Post #: 19
RE: A Brief Something - 5/24/2011 2:13:41 PM   
AlanBernardo

The situation a few turns later:

Alan

Post #: 20
RE: A Brief Something - 5/24/2011 6:05:07 PM   
Webizen

It doesn't appear that you landed an engineer unit with that cavalry unit. An engineer unit would be used to build a port. Without a port and an HQ to man that port (to receive supplies from the home city), your cavalry unit will quickly run out of supplies. It is either that or break through on the land front so that it can get supplied overland. There is one other option and that is to air drop supplies.

Tac2i

Post #: 21
RE: A Brief Something - 5/24/2011 6:51:30 PM   
AlanBernardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webizen

It doesn't appear that you landed an engineer unit with that cavalry unit. An engineer unit would be used to build a port. Without a port and an HQ to man that port (to receive supplies from the home city), your cavalry unit will quickly run out of supplies. It is either that or break through on the land front so that it can get supplied overland. There is one other option and that is to air drop supplies.

OK. I see what you mean. Anyhow, I'm plowing through now. I think I was just a little too tentative before. Empire units must be totally demoralized. I knocked out 11 tank killers in one battle, along with a lot of other stuff. And I didn't appear that I had any kind of advantage, not for those results.

I did air drop on the Cavalry. I wanted to see what was in the area before I moved further with other landings.

Thanks,

Alan

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 22
RE: A Brief Something - 5/24/2011 8:52:00 PM   
Webizen

Another thing that can be done is pack some extra supply into an HQ so that when it lands with the invasion force, it has enough supply for a few turns for the units attached to it. Especially important if you expect that your beachhead will be attacked almost immediately.

Tac2i

Post #: 23
RE: A Brief Something - 5/25/2011 4:43:00 PM   
AlanBernardo

I've ended this scenario and AAR.

Some of the things I've learned:

1. How not to run haphazardly into the enemy without considering what might happen next.

As I moved along in this scenario, it was only a matter of time before I defeated the Empire. But it would have taken much longer than it should have. I ran into problems that really would have required a total reorganization of my forces. I had simply created, for one, too much artillery. This was good for the moment, but artillery is not very mobile, and these units soon fell behind and caused timing problems. Also, I was becoming to overloaded on hex stacks.

2. How not to run naval operations

My navy never really got on track. I was building shipyards but ports were in the wrong area of the map. I never had a port in the north, where it was mainly needed. The port further to the southwest was there, but my enemy was doing his landings in the north. And my own amphibious operations were stalling.

3. How not to organize HQs

I actually had only one major HQ which was completely bogged down. On a related note, a lot of times I just forgot to keep my HQs on rails or roads, with close access to its units. This created a nightmare when it came to transferring things around.

4. How not to plan production

Production, like a lot of things in this scenario, became willy-nilly. One time I lost track of what my supreme HQ was producing, only to discover that it had 32 levelbomer IIIs! I wasn't creating enough infantry-type units, concentrating more on armor, artillery, and planes. This was the main reason why my army simply bogged down and could hardly move. (I realize also that the space constraint of the area I was fighting in did contribute to this stagnation.)

But still, it would have been interesting to continue on with this scenario and I still may in the future. The big deal would be what would happen between the Dragon Empire and my army after the Empire was, well... liquidated. The Dragon Empire early on was taking on the Empire alone, but once I declared war on the Empire that freed up the Dragon Empire. In the end it was inevitable that the two of us would have squeezed the Empire out and then met on the battlefield. I would have probably been in the worse shape, because of the general disorganization of my forces and the fact that my army wouldn't have been well suited to take on the Dragon Empire, at least not initially.

That's about it. Thanks for listening. :)

Alan

Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> A Brief Something Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI