Interesting new game!

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

drillerman

Interesting new game!

Post by drillerman »

http://www.spacepiratesandzombies.com/

Looks quite interesting, sort of DW looking top down kind of thing!
Huh?
Data

RE: Interesting new game!

Post by Data »

Yap, J was waiting for this also. Is it out already? I thought it was still in the works.
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
cookie monster

Post by cookie monster »

Their anagram S.P.A.Z made me laugh.

A spaz is someone who is mentally retarded.
Data

Post by Data »

Afaik this is also an indie project so humor may have more room in the game. This kind of humor reminds me of the SQ series.
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Terl

Post by Terl »

I bought it...fun game. It is as they say Star Control-ish in some ways. I just started playing but am happy. When you purchase it is the beta but you play right off. It is available via Stardock now and on sale for $14.99

Nice film of gameplay on the main website S.P.A.Z
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

Yep, it's in beta right now. Loving it so far.
Only problem I currently have is performance problems I've got in later stages of the game. This is partly due to my old rig, but Blorfy (developer) said they will be optimizing the game a great deal in the coming months.
If I remeber correctly, some players had similar performance problems even with state-of-the-art gaming rigs, so I'm not so worried in this stage of the beta yet. Though I've planned buying a new computer at some point of the summer.

Anyway, great game. And the developers listen to peoples suggestions and genuinely try to make the game as good as possible. Will definetly be supporting this game.
Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
Data

Post by Data »

J, your signature got a cut....we all know you can [:)]
lordxorn

Post by lordxorn »

ORIGINAL: J HG T

Yep, it's in beta right now. Loving it so far.
Only problem I currently have is performance problems I've got in later stages of the game. This is partly due to my old rig, but Blorfy (developer) said they will be optimizing the game a great deal in the coming months.
If I remeber correctly, some players had similar performance problems even with state-of-the-art gaming rigs, so I'm not so worried in this stage of the beta yet. Though I've planned buying a new computer at some point of the summer.

Anyway, great game. And the developers listen to peoples suggestions and genuinely try to make the game as good as possible. Will definetly be supporting this game.

I am really enjoying the game as well. I think the issue with performance issues stem from the fact that Torque is heavily scripted, (50,000 scripts) and that they are converting them to source to help speed it up.

I have no problems yet, however I am only level 19.

I am confident improvements will be made.
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

I had no problems to speak of 'till I got through the titan gate and got into some serious fighting.
Being around level 55 myself with a souped up carrier (huge triple turret with two large overload beamers and a large leech emitter is damn effective combo), supporting volley or array (Couple of PDs are a true lifesaver against "you know what") and colt as a small bugger. The fights start to get really get big in this point.

Still, good to know that the developers are doing their best. I trust in their abilities to make the game even better.

Simulation01

Post by Simulation01 »

LOL  I came here just to mention this game and someone beat me to it!  
"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson
Data

Post by Data »

level 55? is there a level cap?
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

Level cap is 100. It may sound high, but you still can't max everything in the research and have to make choices in what techs you specialize. Also, the bonuses you get while leveling up techs are randomly chosen at the start of each game (so I have understood). So, you could end up extremely powerful beams (which I luckily got in my current game) in one game and rubbish ones in another.   
Data

Post by Data »

Thx, J.
Terl

Post by Terl »

The low cost of $14.99 right now to get into it makes it a real steal for the fun involved. Sure, as mentioned there are a few issues but from reading the forums they are being addressed. The devs seems to be quite responsive and open to ideas as well.
Data

Post by Data »

That's indie development for us. Hope they remain like this forever...open and responsive that is - not underpaid, underpowered and generally the underdogs [:)]
drillerman

Post by drillerman »

Another new game that plays really nice. It's called STARFARER. It's in Alpha state at the moment. you can however, buy it now for $9.99 to support the devs.

Maybe even matrix may be interested in publishing?

http://fractalsoftworks.com/

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (462.16 KiB) Viewed 360 times
Huh?
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

I've been keeping eye on Starfarer too. Looks and sounds really interesting. Especially like the art style.
Been on the fence about buying the alpha, but I may just get it in a week or two.

Like S.P.A.Z, lot of promise on this one.
Data

Post by Data »

looks great, 4x also? never mind, i'm not that laizy...will check it [:)]
princej

Post by princej »

both of the games mentioned look very interesting.
lordxorn

Post by lordxorn »

Yup got both of these. Very cool in their own right. Starfarer has interesting and challenging combat.

I also did a guest review at Spacesector.com on Spaz if you guys aren't quite ready to take the plunge.

SPAZ Review at Spacesector

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”