Official Game First Impressions thread!

Panzer Command: Ostfront is the latest in a new series of 3D turn-based tactical wargames which include single battles, multi-battle operations and full war campaigns with realistic units, tactics and terrain and an informative and practical interface. Including a full Map Editor, 60+ Scenarios, 10 Campaigns and a very long list of improvements, this is the ultimate Panzer Command release for the Eastern Front!

Moderator: rickier65

diablo1

Official Game First Impressions thread!

Post by diablo1 »

Yay I get to start one. So, who's already downloaded it and what's your impression of the download speed and installation speed and stuff like that? [:)]
X3:Universe of games rules them all!! Xtra coming soon X3:REBIRTH 4th qtr 2011 YAY!
ComradeP

RE: Official Game First Impressions thread!

Post by ComradeP »

Those who have downloaded it at this point must have some awesome connection speed. I'm downloading at 330KB/sec, 37 minutes left. Currently reading the manual again whilst I'm wondering whether picking the 7th Panzer campaign will give me a core of Panzer 38(t)'s, considering that the division had no Panzer III's on June 22 as far as I know.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: ComradeP
Those who have downloaded it at this point must have some awesome connection speed. I'm downloading at 330KB/sec, 37 minutes left. Currently reading the manual again whilst I'm wondering whether picking the 7th Panzer campaign will give me a core of Panzer 38(t)'s, considering that the division had no Panzer III's on June 22 as far as I know.

That's correct. The 7th Panzer Campaign core force that starts the campaign in 1941 is as follows:

7 x Panzer 38t Medium Tank
5 x Panzer IIB Light Tank
3 x PanzerGrenadier Squad
3 x Opel Blitz Truck
2 x SdKfz 222 Armored Car

If you play the full long campaign through to August 1st, 1944, that can be over 90 battles and if you survive there are some very nice equipment upgrades along the way. The 7th Panzer Campaign is harder at the Historical level than the 1st Panzer Campaign.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
jazman

Post by jazman »

I was pleasantly surprised that it's only $35. Especially after the WitP-AE and WitE mon$ter$ (which I did buy, but ouch!), this makes it so I can't afford not to buy it.
BS, MS, PhD, WitP:AE, WitE, WitW
Jacko

Post by Jacko »

313 KB/Sec. Approx. one hour left. [:)]
diablo1

Post by diablo1 »

ORIGINAL: Jacko

313 KB/Sec. Approx. one hour left. [:)]

Thank goodness they released it in the middle of the day just think what it's going to be like when the school kids get home and dad gets off work. [:)]
X3:Universe of games rules them all!! Xtra coming soon X3:REBIRTH 4th qtr 2011 YAY!
z1812

Post by z1812 »

Hi All,

Downloading now. 220kb/sec. Another 1.5 hours. As Diablo said; thank goodness they released it in the middle of the day.

Regards John
Jacko

Post by Jacko »

Let them do their homework first. War is not for kids. [:D]
FNG

Post by FNG »

1st Panzer is rolling across the open steppes...

I'm really liking the grass - my infantry don't look nearly so vulnerable! Computation speeds seem better than PCK even with a larger map and more units. Massive kudos to all involved, especially those who have volunteered their time.
FNG
Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

thank goodness they released it in the middle of the day.

~19:30 or so for me.

I'll start with the 7th Panzer campaign now. I enjoy a challenge. Hopefully, I won't run into many T-34's as the 37mm gun on the Panzer 38(t) is not going to cut it against any non-1930's model tank, not to mention its ~26mm armour being rather weak.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer
diablo1

Post by diablo1 »

3hrs later it's finally downloaded an installed phew I'm tired. [:)] After the "Waltons" episodes I'll give it a go. Watching the Waltons is like going back in time to the good old days when life wasn't so fast and a radio was the big thing for home entertainment. [:)]
sfbaytf

Post by sfbaytf »

Very interested to hear about this one. I haven't played any of the previous games in the series. I do like these sort of games. Spent hours playing Combat mission series and love the Shock Force series.

For some reason this series never interested me, but I may have to give in a buy as it looks pretty good.
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: sfbaytf

Very interested to hear about this one. I haven't played any of the previous games in the series. I do like these sort of games. Spent hours playing Combat mission series and love the Shock Force series.

For some reason this series never interested me, but I may have to give in a buy as it looks pretty good.

I would recommend you give the demo a try then. it should give you a good idea of how the game plays and how well it performs on your system.

Thanks
rick
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

This is closer to what you would remember CMx1 playing that it is CMx2. But it's not a clone and it has it's own personality. I think you'll find it both different and immersive if you give it much of a try.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Lützow

Post by Lützow »

I'm still on the fence. So someone post the flaws please. [:D]

That being said, from pure demo comparison it seems more immersive than CM:N.
henri51

Post by henri51 »

Dang, they released it on the same day as the Combat Mission Normandy demo!...[:'(]

Henri
diablo1

Post by diablo1 »

I played the CM:BN demo while waiting on this to download and I just hated all that bocage. All I really saw was tracers going out of one bocage into another, plus I played it RT to see what all the hype was about and it felt like playing Company of Heroes or TOW and didn't feel like Combat Mission at all. All my tanks got destroyed because I was busying trying to assault and take a damn house with my infantry (this is why RT sucks). So, needless to say it didn't impressah me much.

Once I get used to this command system I'm pretty sure PC:O will be the cats meow. I already like the demo play (had to turn grass off but no biggie about that).
diablo1

Post by diablo1 »

Well this ain't good. First random game I setup I get :"Panzer Command has stopped working" Windows will try to determine what caused the problem but never did.
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: diablo1

Well this ain't good. First random game I setup I get :"Panzer Command has stopped working" Windows will try to determine what caused the problem but never did.

You might look in the log file which is in the Log folder and see if anything is there.

Thanks
Rick
diablo1

Post by diablo1 »

From futher testing it has something to do with trying to setup a random battle with 40:0 second default turns. I made up 3 diffenent ones and they all CTD, but, when I made a 60:0 one it worked as well as the regular player made scenario's work. But, 40:0 is not working in random battle setups.

From the Log: 5/12/2011 5:43:54 PM: Cannot load animation mesh: C:\GAMES\Panzer Command Ostfront\Data/Infantry/Russian Rifle 42/russian_regularrifle_02.x

In all 3 crashes that ^ is the common denominator.

Return to “Panzer Command: Ostfront”