Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Info Display L Side Partially Unreadable - Game Basically Unplayable

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Tech Support >> Info Display L Side Partially Unreadable - Game Basically Unplayable Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Info Display L Side Partially Unreadable - Game Basical... - 5/12/2011 2:46:16 AM   
Mr Klotzen N Klecker

The left side panels w/ strength figures, scenario briefings etc do not display correctly. It appears as though the various sections are partially overlapping with each other and are impossible to read. About 25% of the display panel's right edge including the red scrollbar is completely missing where it meets the map, as if it was sliced off. The game is pretty much unplayable.

It seems as though font size might be the cause, as if the fonts were too big for the panels. But the fonts on my computer all appear to be normal sized. Maybe Bulge seems to think the fonts are larger than they really are. Is there a way I can shrink the font size in Bulge?

This problem occurs exactly the same way no matter what resolution my computer is set, or which resolution the game uses.
Just DLed the game today (May 11 2011) and updated. Updated my graphics drivers too. My font size is 96 dpi. I tried enlarging them to 120 dpi just for kicks and the game still wouldn't display correctly. I've tried every concievable display tweak I could think of. I can't think of anything else to do.

Vista 64. Plenty of power etc. ATI Radeon 3200 chipset graphics updated (today) with latest drivers. Monitor is cheap Westinghouse widescreen, everything set now to factory spec. but I haven't ever had any problems with it. Maybe it's the ATI Radeon/Catalyst drivers (?).

Any suggestions?
Yours,
Mr Klotzen N Kleckern

< Message edited by Mr Klotzen N Klecker -- 5/12/2011 2:47:22 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Info Display L Side Partially Unreadable - Game Bas... - 5/12/2011 3:05:53 AM   
Lieste

This had I think come up before, and is because the game IIRC requires a standard 96 dpi & normal scaling for the font to fit the data into the panel. You are on the right track, but need to step the other way IIRC - checking the original advice it was to make the game run in 96dpi with 100% scaling for fonts - you could try other settings but they probably will not work.

< Message edited by Lieste -- 5/12/2011 3:40:12 AM >

(in reply to Mr Klotzen N Klecker)
Post #: 2
RE: Info Display L Side Partially Unreadable - Game Bas... - 5/12/2011 4:10:44 AM   
Mr Klotzen N Klecker

I am (and always had been) running fonts at 96 dpi with 100% scaling, but the display continues to be unreadable. (I tried 120 dpi for 5 minutes which did not change Bulge's display at all, so I switched back to 96 dpi.)

Your email message mentions 72 dpi (not 96 dpi) but AFAIK it's not possible in Vista to globally set fonts at 72 dpi.

Is there some way to change the font size within Bulge? How is font size determined by the Command Ops program? The map graphics can be user-modded - perhaps those display panels/dialog boxes could be modded using Paint or Irfanview or something? Or...maybe I can try shrinking the actual fonts used by Command Ops via a Paint-type program; they look like Arial.

BTW Highway displays just fine at 1280x1024 on the same Vista-64 computer Bulge and Agean has problems with.

This is very frustrating and mysterious. I really wanna play this game and also begin designing some scenarios.
Thanks.
Yours,
Mr Klotzen N Kleckern

< Message edited by Mr Klotzen N Klecker -- 5/12/2011 4:51:54 PM >

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 3
RE: Info Display L Side Partially Unreadable - Game Bas... - 5/13/2011 1:39:57 AM   
Arjuna

Klotzen,

Interesting. I would have first thought it a font scale issue but if you say you are running at 96 dpi fonts then it has to be something else. Let's see if we can narrow it down. I appreciate that you have already updated your graphics drivers. Good. Can you please confirm what resolution you are running the game at? Have you tried choosing one of the alternate presets to see if that makes a difference? Is the res you are running one of the defaults for your monitor? If not try using one of its defaults. Get back to me and we'll progress this troubleshooting.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

Post #: 4
RE: Info Display L Side Partially Unreadable - Game Bas... - 5/13/2011 1:49:31 AM   
Arjuna

Some other things to try.

Are you running with Clear Type text? If so, try turning that off? ( Maybe this a Win 7 only feature. )

Another option is to set the dpi of your font to something less than 96 dpi. Under Vista you do this by going to Personalisation, choose Adjust Font Size from the left sidebar and then hit the Custom DPI button at the bottom of the screen that opens.

What font are you using as your display font? For Vista I believe the default is Segoe UI. You can test this by Opeing the Appearance Settings, selecting Menu from the Item List and the font will be displayed below.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 5
RE: Info Display L Side Partially Unreadable - Game Bas... - 6/17/2011 3:01:16 AM   
dmack973

I am now having this problem too. Was not an issue prior to this. I haven't played the game in a few months however. Checked all DPI settings set as 96 dpi. Can't go any lower with Vista 64. Tried every available resolution. Still unreadable. My Nvidia display drivers also are up to date. I am running a Gforce GTX 260.

Could something have changed driver or update wise with Windows? Like I said the game was running fine prior to me playing again. Curious.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 6
RE: Info Display L Side Partially Unreadable - Game Bas... - 6/18/2011 3:48:36 AM   
Arjuna

Screen dump please?

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to dmack973)
Post #: 7
RE: Info Display L Side Partially Unreadable - Game Bas... - 6/19/2011 4:01:13 AM   
dmack973

I am sorry to have to ask this Dave, but how do I do that? I will do anything to help. I am playing the game regardless of the screen. On a side note, I am reading the Official History of the Battle of the Bulge and find the game almost necessary to understand the tactical and strategic picture. Thanks for all of your hard work.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 8
RE: Info Display L Side Partially Unreadable - Game Bas... - 6/19/2011 4:20:35 AM   
Lieste

Open CmdOps, press "Print Scrn" on your keyboard.
Minimise CmdOps window, and open an image editing program (I think paint will 'work' but something better (such as paint.net/GIMP or photoshop is 'better').
Create a 'new' image - it should take the CmdOps resolution by default (as you have data on the clipboard).
Paste your screenshot into the blank image, save and 'Add Image' to your reply using the icon on the forum software.

Ask for clarification if any needed :)

(in reply to dmack973)
Post #: 9
RE: Info Display L Side Partially Unreadable - Game Bas... - 6/20/2011 3:54:17 PM   
Paul Roberts

I have a similar problem, but only when I am playing on my 1920x1080 monitor with fonts at 120 dpi (or "medium" in Win7 display personalization). See the attached screenshot.

When I set fonts back to 96 dpi (or Win7 default), the problem goes away. But then I get a serious headache, so I really wish there were a way to use 120 dpi fonts in the game.

dmack973, does what you're describing look like my screenshot here?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Paul Roberts -- 6/20/2011 3:58:51 PM >

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 10
RE: Info Display L Side Partially Unreadable - Game Bas... - 6/25/2011 2:18:18 AM   
dmack973

Sorry guys just got into town. Here is screen. Double checked the font again, set at 96. Be happy to provide anymore info.[image][/image]

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Paul Roberts)
Post #: 11
RE: Info Display L Side Partially Unreadable - Game Bas... - 6/27/2011 7:30:43 PM   
dmack973

Here is my DPI setting.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dmack973)
Post #: 12
RE: Info Display L Side Partially Unreadable - Game Bas... - 6/27/2011 7:41:10 PM   
Lieste

Odd, possibly a wider font than expected?

Try setting a custom DPI that is lower - 72 dpi might be a place to start. Unsure of the controls on your panel as I'm not using Vista. Can you post a similar screen showing the custom options?

(in reply to dmack973)
Post #: 13
RE: Info Display L Side Partially Unreadable - Game Bas... - 6/27/2011 7:47:47 PM   
dmack973

Tried adjusting the custom. 96 is the lowest it goes. Thanks for the idea though. What is really puzzling is that it did not used to be a problem. Something has changed. Whether it was a windows update or an nvidia driver update, or something else. I don't know. Really stumped.

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 14
RE: Info Display L Side Partially Unreadable - Game Bas... - 6/27/2011 8:08:04 PM   
Lieste

What is your Vista display font?

My current settings (for XP) are Tahoma 8pt for menus and dialogues - if you have a bulkier font, or a larger point size here it might change something?

(in reply to dmack973)
Post #: 15
RE: Info Display L Side Partially Unreadable - Game Bas... - 6/27/2011 10:52:58 PM   
dmack973

I know this is bad, but where do I find this under Vista? I don't think I have ever checked.

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 16
RE: Info Display L Side Partially Unreadable - Game Bas... - 6/27/2011 11:32:21 PM   
dmack973

I think I found it under personalization/window color and appearance/advanced. I am currently running windows vista basic. I set most of them to Tahoma 8pt. Which settings in here control the display for BFTB? I messed around a little bit but still nothing seems to change.

(in reply to dmack973)
Post #: 17
RE: Info Display L Side Partially Unreadable - Game Bas... - 6/28/2011 12:54:59 AM   
Arjuna

This is a weird one. I've asked Panther Paul to check it out. I'm thinking that perhaps the font we use has not been installed properly for some reason. Could you reinstall the game and see if that fixes the issue.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to dmack973)
Post #: 18
RE: Info Display L Side Partially Unreadable - Game Bas... - 6/28/2011 1:32:54 AM   
dmack973

Will do Dave. Am Re-Downloading the game now. Will try a complete un-install/re-install this evening. I will post as soon as it finishes. Thanks again for the help.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 19
RE: Info Display L Side Partially Unreadable - Game Bas... - 6/28/2011 6:13:38 PM   
dmack973

Un-Intalled. Re-booted. Re-installed. Patched the game. Still have problem.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dmack973)
Post #: 20
RE: Info Display L Side Partially Unreadable - Game Bas... - 6/29/2011 3:25:29 AM   
Arjuna

Oh well rules that one out. thanks for trying. As I said I'll hand this over to Paul to manage. He should contact you soon.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to dmack973)
Post #: 21
RE: Info Display L Side Partially Unreadable - Game Bas... - 6/29/2011 10:52:59 PM   
dmack973

Ok here is a little curveball. I just upgraded my OS to Windows 7. Changed nothing else. Straight upgrade from Vista 64 to 7 64. Went back to play the game and it looks perfectly normal! I am happy, but obviously will help to figure this out for anyone else.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 22
RE: Info Display L Side Partially Unreadable - Game Bas... - 7/18/2011 10:07:36 PM   
johnrayner

I have exactly the same problem - just installed on an XP machine. Can't afford windows 7 so that is not a good fix for me! Have tried everything everyone suggested above but it looks like an XP/Vista problem maybe.
Screen dump just same as above. Hope someone is looking into this.
many thanks
John

Post #: 23
RE: Info Display L Side Partially Unreadable - Game Bas... - 7/18/2011 10:13:36 PM   
Lieste

Possibly a 64 bit problem, but I'm running XP 32 (SP3) without this issue.

(in reply to johnrayner)
Post #: 24
RE: Info Display L Side Partially Unreadable - Game Bas... - 7/19/2011 12:55:08 AM   
Arjuna

I installed our latest beta version onto a 64 bit Win 7 Home Premium laptop that has a full HD disply and I got the problem. It was because the normal font size for that disp[lay is in fact greater than 96 dpi. So I set the font size to smallest and hey presto problem fixed. However, with such a display you have to live with the smaller looking font.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 25
RE: Info Display L Side Partially Unreadable - Game Bas... - 7/19/2011 5:43:59 PM   
johnrayner

Sussed it!

Found something on the Nvidia control panel which gave me the option to use my display scaling ability rather than the nvidia scaling option. This cured it for all resolutions. Tried 120dpi rather than 96dpi and problem came back so it could be a combination of things. 96dpi definitely needed and then find a sytem of scaling that lets that left panel appear in full.
Many thanks everyone
John

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 26
RE: Info Display L Side Partially Unreadable - Game Bas... - 7/20/2011 4:29:05 AM   
Lieste

Would you care to share some more details &/or a screenshot of the relevant control panel & settings. I'm sure this is the sort of thing that will come up again (though probably in some other product) and it is helpful to see what the possibilities are... 

(in reply to johnrayner)
Post #: 27
RE: Info Display L Side Partially Unreadable - Game Bas... - 7/30/2011 10:33:33 AM   
nicwb

Thanks for the solution Arjuna - I was having exactly the same problem after loading the game onto my new laptop -it was driving me nuts.

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 28
RE: Info Display L Side Partially Unreadable - Game Bas... - 10/4/2011 11:25:14 AM   
JiminyJickers

It this something you are going to look at fixing?

I would like to buy this game but don't want to restart my computer everytime I have to play the game to change the dpi setting back and forth. This sort of thing will be a dealbreaker. This is the first game I have experienced this issue with so the fix cannot be too hard.

Thank for your time.

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 29
RE: Info Display L Side Partially Unreadable - Game Bas... - 10/4/2011 12:16:27 PM   
wodin

The size of the font isn't an issue it was the overlapping..the small font isn't a bug so nothing needs fixing. Really can't see them making the font bigger...but you never know.

(in reply to JiminyJickers)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Tech Support >> Info Display L Side Partially Unreadable - Game Basically Unplayable Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI