Lockwood, Christie, Fife and English seek jobs

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Hotschi

Lockwood, Christie, Fife and English seek jobs

Post by Hotschi »

Am wondering which jobs my fellow players assign to the submarine brass, given that there's no HQ in the game such as Commander Submarine Pacific and the like?

And a question, would it make sense to add such HQ's to the game? If, what stats to use? Some odd number of "torpedos" and a little naval support or what?
"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.
Terminus

RE: Lockwood, Christie, Fife and English seek jobs

Post by Terminus »

They would be no different from other Naval HQ's. You can't make an HQ only usable for one type of vessel.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

and the "torpedo" devices allow a HQs to equip torpedo-capable aircraft, only. They have no effect on submarines.
WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!
Hotschi

Post by Hotschi »

Thanks for the input. A quick search I did in my currently running game revealed there's no Jimmy Fife, English and Ralph Waldo Christie included in the roster anyway - or I couldn't find them, so this leaves only Lockwood.

My next thought was to just assign Lockwood to command a AS (IRL when he moved headquarters from Pearl to Guam in January 45, he set up his command on a submarine tender according to "Silent Victory") but this is not possible in game given his rank (I guess).

I think I can live with having no job for Uncle Charlie [:D]

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.
JWE

Post by JWE »

You could make a Naval HQ, maybe SubForPacFlt, give it 150 or so NavSup squads, maybe some Engineers and Engineer Vehicles, some Support squads for the officer's mess and the ice cream plant, assign a couple AS to it, and put Uncle Charlie in charge. Instant sub-base.
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

Could it provide a boost to ASs at the base... I think something could be well thought out...maybe not..??
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
JWE

Post by JWE »

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510
Could it provide a boost to ASs at the base... I think something could be well thought out...maybe not..??
Not per se. But it does extend the scope of its NavSup units according to its radius. Wonderful for places with several bases in close proximity.

As some people know I have a serious stiffy for LCUs with a "Base Force" type. They give ungodly advantages to the AI and are (imho) a serious impediment to realistic long-term play. I prefer to define base forces in terms of a HQ Unit, and a collection of its component parts. And they are far and very few between. I prefer the idea of having a severely limited number of Naval Support squads, and having those concentrated at HQ echelons. Everything else is "Shore Party" engineer units.

Sub bases are perfect for this concept. One can define an LCU called "SubRon xx" and give it some engineers and NavSup and put it where it's needed (along with an AS). Making SubForXxFlt HQs is also a good idea, with the same compositions (but more of everything). Put SubRons under a SubFor HQ, assign ASs to SubFor HQ (and use a mental house rule that keeps them in the same area) and then limit sub operations to bases with a "Sub" unit or "Sub" HQ. Have to be a self imposed limit, but I think it will make for a more realistic appreciation of actual submarine operations from a player standpoint.
Hotschi

Post by Hotschi »

ORIGINAL: JWE

...One can define an LCU called "SubRon xx" and give it some engineers and NavSup and put it where it's needed (along with an AS). Making SubForXxFlt HQs is also a good idea, with the same compositions (but more of everything). Put SubRons under a SubFor HQ, assign ASs to SubFor HQ (and use a mental house rule that keeps them in the same area) and then limit sub operations to bases with a "Sub" unit or "Sub" HQ. Have to be a self imposed limit, but I think it will make for a more realistic appreciation of actual submarine operations from a player standpoint.

Very good idea and something worth modding into the game - I already use the mental house rule you described, I limit my sub operations to a few bases (currently, May 45, Guam and Darwin, all patrols start or end there), and I don't allow my subs to replenish at a port which contains no sub tender. Adding a few leaders which might be missing in the game,shouldn't be a problem either.

Thanks for your input!

jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

ORIGINAL: JWE

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510
Not per se. But it does extend the scope of its NavSup units according to its radius. Wonderful for places with several bases in close proximity.

As some people know I have a serious stiffy for LCUs with a "Base Force" type. They give ungodly advantages to the AI and are (imho) a serious impediment to realistic long-term play. I prefer to define base forces in terms of a HQ Unit, and a collection of its component parts. And they are far and very few between. I prefer the idea of having a severely limited number of Naval Support squads, and having those concentrated at HQ echelons. Everything else is "Shore Party" engineer units.

Sub bases are perfect for this concept. One can define an LCU called "SubRon xx" and give it some engineers and NavSup and put it where it's needed (along with an AS). Making SubForXxFlt HQs is also a good idea, with the same compositions (but more of everything). Put SubRons under a SubFor HQ, assign ASs to SubFor HQ (and use a mental house rule that keeps them in the same area) and then limit sub operations to bases with a "Sub" unit or "Sub" HQ. Have to be a self imposed limit, but I think it will make for a more realistic appreciation of actual submarine operations from a player standpoint.

More or less along the lines of what I was thinking, just wasn't sure how to word it as nicely as you just did. I too impose a house rule on myself as stated by the gentleman above
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”