Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Frankly speaking...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris >> Frankly speaking... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Frankly speaking... - 5/8/2011 6:24:26 PM   
Tesuji

I own AT, and I think it´s a bit clunky. Not really bad, but too much micromanagement in the logistics, replacements... departments. Also somewhat complicated interface.

So, in short: Is DC interface easier to use? Is replacements and supply automatic? I really dont care at all about economy, and want the system to handle that!
Post #: 1
RE: Frankly speaking... - 5/8/2011 9:40:08 PM   
th1207

Yes. No production, research etc. in DC. Supply is also "automated".
User interface is almost identical to ATG (in fact ATG imported some features from DC), with one or two features, that
you don´t find in ATG, like group movement.

(in reply to Tesuji)
Post #: 2
RE: Frankly speaking... - 5/9/2011 7:22:08 PM   
Tesuji

Sounds as I might like this game. No manual replacements to units, I hope? How is this handled?

(in reply to th1207)
Post #: 3
RE: Frankly speaking... - 5/9/2011 10:50:34 PM   
th1207

Depends on what you´re playing: scenarios or campaign game.

Generally during the scenarios there are no replacements. You have to live with what you get.
Additionally you have the option to buy a unit by spending political points (from which you get a certain amount at the start of the scenario. You can´t / don´t have to produce them).

Only difference in the campaign game is that you will get replacements / reinforcements between the single scenarios.

If you generally like the way how combat & movement in ATG works, i´m sure you will like DC.

(in reply to Tesuji)
Post #: 4
RE: Frankly speaking... - 5/10/2011 3:33:58 PM   
Tesuji

Yes, it looks like AT with more historicity, better AI, less clutter.

(in reply to th1207)
Post #: 5
RE: Frankly speaking... - 5/11/2011 2:28:12 AM   
critter

It's a great game. Well worth the money.

(in reply to Tesuji)
Post #: 6
RE: Frankly speaking... - 5/11/2011 1:48:40 PM   
pvthudson01

what can we expect in the future? in terms of fronts and battles

(in reply to critter)
Post #: 7
RE: Frankly speaking... - 5/11/2011 4:13:33 PM   
Vic

I disclosed elsewhere that a new DC title is in the works. The only thing I revealed so far is that it will be situated on the eastern front.

i hope to give some more info within a few months.

best regards,
Vic

Victor Reijkersz Designs
www.vrdesigns.nl

(in reply to pvthudson01)
Post #: 8
RE: Frankly speaking... - 5/12/2011 11:34:27 PM   
Bivoj

I hope the patch will be here sooner then in a few months

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 9
RE: Frankly speaking... - 9/11/2011 10:28:29 PM   
critter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vic

I disclosed elsewhere that a new DC title is in the works. The only thing I revealed so far is that it will be situated on the eastern front.

i hope to give some more info within a few months.

best regards,
Vic

Vic what about patching WTP while we wait? I'd love to have a full screen option, unit highlites and a look into the British AI in case Yellow so they don't die in surrounded sky scraper stacks. Rocketman has a hugh list of requests.

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 10
RE: Frankly speaking... - 9/12/2011 9:45:29 AM   
Keunert

within a few months... sigh

(in reply to critter)
Post #: 11
RE: Frankly speaking... - 9/12/2011 2:51:29 PM   
willgamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keunert

within a few months... sigh

+1

Rex Lex or Lex Rex?

(in reply to Keunert)
Post #: 12
RE: Frankly speaking... - 9/21/2011 12:16:49 PM   
Josh

Uh yeah he said that, but Vic said that a few months ago... sooo time for a new update me thinks.

(in reply to willgamer)
Post #: 13
RE: Frankly speaking... - 9/27/2011 5:37:11 PM   
Vic

Guys,

If I would be a one man show I would give more info quicker.
Info will still come, but it just takes longer then expected. Sorry there.

Furthermore I can say I am working very hard on DC2. The Eastern front is a tough nut to crack! :)

Best regards,
Vic

Victor Reijkersz Designs
www.vrdesigns.nl

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 14
RE: Frankly speaking... - 9/28/2011 11:48:19 PM   
bcgames

quote:

...I am working very hard on DC2. The Eastern front is a tough nut to crack! :)

Excellent! Let the games begin! DC1 was a great play. I for one am looking forward to the results of your latest efforts.

v/r

bcgames

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 15
RE: Frankly speaking... - 9/29/2011 1:02:43 AM   
WilliePete

quote:

Guys,

If I would be a one man show I would give more info quicker.
Info will still come, but it just takes longer then expected. Sorry there.

Furthermore I can say I am working very hard on DC2. The Eastern front is a tough nut to crack! :)

Best regards,
Vic

Thanks for getting back to us! I've been playing Gary's War in the East, but took a break and went back to Decisive Campaigns. I really love your game! The regiment scale game play and map style are really unique. I'm sure the map of the Soviet Union and unit artwork will be nice for the next game. I really like how bridges and rivers come into play as well. I feel the only real drawback is finding a unit's organization. Otherwise, it's a very good and unique war-game!

I very much looked forward to the Eastern Front! Vic, can you give us any tidbit of info to keep the hype up? A screen shot would be awesome!!!

- They That Sow The Wind, Shall Reap The Whirlwind -

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 16
RE: Frankly speaking... - 9/29/2011 5:29:36 PM   
Hexagon

Well, all good things are hard to get... but is not bad show a little piece of "meat" to hungry dogs of war

If Vic is so busy can at least write a cryptic phrase like "a couple of kicks and comes all down" or "to be or not to be" or "from heaven to hell".... them we can spend lot of time with theories but is better say "DC 2 covers x campaign, soviets have minedogs and german kartonpanzers"

(in reply to WilliePete)
Post #: 17
RE: Frankly speaking... - 9/29/2011 10:33:41 PM   
WilliePete

To say that that The East Front is a "tough nut to crack" is understatement. I suppose where to begin is a hard decision in itself. As we all know the East Front has it all. I'll take a guess and say that it will have something to do with Barbarossa.

Maybe we can expect a collection of 2-3 Barbarossa scenarios for this time around. A scenario about the first few weeks from Brest-Litovsk on. Another on the battle for Kiev. A winter battle for Moscow would be cool too... I'd imagine a battle covering the entire Eastern Front is way too big for this scale. Although if Vic were to design such a scenario, I'd play it until my eyes bleed!

What do you guys think?

- They That Sow The Wind, Shall Reap The Whirlwind -

(in reply to Hexagon)
Post #: 18
RE: Frankly speaking... - 10/6/2011 3:02:31 PM   
Josh

A battle covering the entire East Front, that's GG's "War in the East". I have this question lingering in my mind for few months now, how does DC2 compare to WitE?

(in reply to WilliePete)
Post #: 19
RE: Frankly speaking... - 10/21/2011 9:39:47 AM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Josh

A battle covering the entire East Front, that's GG's "War in the East". I have this question lingering in my mind for few months now, how does DC2 compare to WitE?

I don't know how DC2 will turn out, but WiTE is a highly detailed and potentially very complex game. I don't expect to play any further than the smaller scenarios, the Grand Campaign seems to pre-suppose that the Germans will lose, it's just a matter of which year, or which month, deciding if the game is won or lost. I think some players are finding it difficult to make the deep commitment required when they know what is going to happen eventually.

Whether, or not, the Germans are doomed to lose, which is the centre of an intense discussion, a game needs to have some element of uncertainty and something to encourage you to play on to the next turn, then the next. I would think that very few people play these games just to run through to an expected end, after hours of effort, however accurate that might be deemed to be.

I hope that DC2 will provide accuracy and historical background, but not lose sight of the what-ifs that history can reasonably provide, to keep players' interest alive.

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 10/21/2011 9:44:08 AM >

"We have to go from where we are, not from where we would like to be" - me

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 20
RE: Frankly speaking... - 10/21/2011 5:27:11 PM   
willgamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

quote:

I don't know how DC2 will turn out, but WiTE is a highly detailed and potentially very complex game. I don't expect to play any further than the smaller scenarios, the Grand Campaign seems to pre-suppose that the Germans will lose, it's just a matter of which year, or which month, deciding if the game is won or lost. I think some players are finding it difficult to make the deep commitment required when they know what is going to happen eventually.

Whether, or not, the Germans are doomed to lose, which is the centre of an intense discussion, a game needs to have some element of uncertainty and something to encourage you to play on to the next turn, then the next. I would think that very few people play these games just to run through to an expected end, after hours of effort, however accurate that might be deemed to be.

I hope that DC2 will provide accuracy and historical background, but not lose sight of the what-ifs that history can reasonably provide, to keep players' interest alive.

I tend to believe that WitE will be remembered some day as an object lesson in creating a simulation, rather than a game. It has, perhaps usefully to historians, demonstrated that given the unusual severity of Russia's weather in '41, Germany could not win.

IMHO, WitE is a wonderful, complex, meaty game for scenarios, but fails miserably as a campaign GAME.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how DC2 approaches this.

Rex Lex or Lex Rex?

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 21
RE: Frankly speaking... - 10/24/2011 7:03:09 AM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: willgamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

quote:

I tend to believe that WitE will be remembered some day as an object lesson in creating a simulation, rather than a game. It has, perhaps usefully to historians, demonstrated that given the unusual severity of Russia's weather in '41, Germany could not win.

IMHO, WitE is a wonderful, complex, meaty game for scenarios, but fails miserably as a campaign GAME.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how DC2 approaches this.

The problem with WiTE is - what does it simulate, no real commander ever had control of all units down to division level and below, with all the information available in WiTE. Players often ask how their progress compares with the historical commanders, but there is no comparison in the way real commanders had to work.

CEAW-GS 2.0 at least gives you the decision making processes of Chiefs of Staff and Political Leaders, as to Production, Strategy, Deployment, etc., with the combat mechanics a bit clunky, but needed to resolve your strategic decisions.

In the end GS 2.0 gives an enjoyable and varied challenge, WiTE is a great game, but I am not convinced that the campaign game is providing much return for the demands it makes on your time.

(in reply to willgamer)
Post #: 22
RE: Frankly speaking... - 10/24/2011 5:54:57 PM   
olivier34

I am into my first GC in WITE as the german. I spent so many hours to understand this complex and awesome game but I may not play another GC...maybe some scenarios because after the first winter, it become too static for my test. I will certainly go back to DC wich gave me more pleasure and a game that is both accurate and intuitive to play with.
What will be DC on the east front ? I am sure that it will be huge ! Can't wait to play this one ! and I would like to have some news from the developpers !

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 23
RE: Frankly speaking... - 10/24/2011 9:49:48 PM   
Rasputitsa

The problem with any game based on the Eastern Front is victory conditions for the Axis side. The Axis is defeated when Berlin is taken, it's history and obvious to verify. However, under what circumstance can the Axis ever win, it never happened and cannot be verified. Defeating Soviet military power, capturing resources, or seizing territory, by themselves are not enough, how many casualties, how much land, or resources are enough, we will never know.

Hitler thought that victory would come with the collapse of the Soviet State and he expected that the collapse would come quickly after the first battles. Might Stalin have been overthrown if the losses in men, cities and territory had been worse, especially after the fall of Moscow. There were certainly attempts to remove Hitler when things started to go badly, was there any group who might have done the same to Stalin and then negotiated a peace, as in WW1. (I know the circumstances were different)

Could we have optional victory conditions based on loss of territory, the number of hexes a country has controlled (including those captured), the loss of main cities (each one with its own value) contributing to a die roll on overthrow. This would be an option to be selected as on/off to players' choice.

It would mean that players would not be able to make a mass withdrawal when on the defensive, without the fear of a possible game losing event. German players would have an incentive to keep playing on, to try and trigger the downfall of Stalin. It only has to be a low odds effect, because the result is so great, just enough to have something to play for, in what is otherwise a foregone conclusion.

(in reply to olivier34)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris >> Frankly speaking... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI