Killing Casey Kasem-Marianas style (CB v. Cap'n Mandrake)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Chickenboy

Killing Casey Kasem-Marianas style (CB v. Cap'n Mandrake)

Post by Chickenboy »

This will be an AAR for my tussle with Cap'n Mandrake in the Second AE Tournament. In our third fight(s), we've drawn the Marianas scenario in a mirror campaign. This may be confusing, but I'll attempt to review both games here in this one AAR.

Settings? The Cap'n said it well in a recent email:

Standard damage repair and standard sub ops and fixed reinforcement. I think I can manage the turn around time schedule you described. [ed.: one turn daily, more on the weekends]

I was looking at the USN warchest. Man, that is some serious firepower. If I win it have been because of brilliant planning. If you win it will be bad die rolls. [ed.: This, combined with a previous comment about how he was hoping to draw me because I was the easiest of the lot, have me anxious to gut him like a fish. We'll see if I am successful.]

Another note about my opponent: I think his strategic skills are underrated. I've followed his AARs for a long time. Lots of people do for the comedy, but I also appreciate his understated strategic prowess in the AARs. I think his main weakness is a distinct lack of interest in reading the manual. Unfortunately (for me), he's come a long way in his understanding of the game mechanics since he got into AE. I've got to pay scrupulous attention to detail and have solid game play here.

I'm really looking forward to this...

BANZAI! BANZAI! BANZAI! [8D]
Hip Hip Hooray! [8|]
Canoerebel

RE: Killing Casey Kasem-Marianas style (CB v. Cap'n Mandrake)

Post by Canoerebel »

Good luck, Chickenboy. Your opponent is a Californian, so you need to thrash him!
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Good luck, Chickenboy. Your opponent is a Californian, so you need to thrash him!
[:D] [:D] [:D]

This is the best laugh i've had in a while (unfortunately, CB, you need to see his other quote in Mandrake's AAR...
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Alas, I claim birthrights in Southern California myself. Either way, a Californian will be winning this one.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Gracious. How does somebody from California end up in Minnesota?

I guess you are getting ready for spring up your way. The glaciers ought to withdraw pretty soon and you'll be mowing your grass by July. Don't forget to winterize your lawnmower at the same time.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Me too. Native Bay Area baby.
The Moose
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Usually we drive a car...[&:]

Sometimes we fly as passengers in a piloted airplane.

C'mon, Dan-surely the internal combustion engine can't be THAT much a stretch for you rural Georgians? [:'(]
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Alright. First turn (IJ) is off. Awaiting first turn receipt from Cap'n.

IJ Observations:

1. The scenario values Saipan, Guam and Tinian above all points wise. Truk is worth some, but hardly worth the trouble of capturing it (as IRL). Same with Peleliu and Babeldoab. All else is worthless-not worth the distraction to the Allies. This includes other islands in the Marianas chain (e.g., Rota)

2. Saipan is reasonably well garrisoned. Same with Guam. Both are mined heavily. Tinian (worth nearly as much as the other two) is not mined and is weakly held.

3. The largest combatant in theatre is a CL at Babeldoab. Presumably the rest of the combined fleet shows up as reinforcements (can't yet tell when they'll arrive on turn 0).

4. I have a few mediocre air groups (fighters with experience in mid-50s). All others are undermanned and of poor quality. I have some nightfighters and a hodge podge of IJNAF DB and TBs. Almost all air in theatre is IJNAF.

Actions:

1. All assault units from other islands in the region (that are worthless as points) will make best available speed towards Guam, Saipan or Tinian. There's an SNLF unit at Babeldoab that is loading up for Tinian now on the pathetic available shipping. I'll transport an SNLF unit from Marcus (?) island down shortly as well. There's an SNLF unit at Iwo Jima, but it's restricted HQ. I'll have to see how things go WRT PPs, but will try to get it into the fight.

2. All avaible (7) submarines at Babeldoab load up on type 88 mines. Destination: Tinian. There's a miscellany of other MLs or ML-capable craft in theatre that can put another 50 mines on target. Again-destination Tinian. There are 200 Type 88s in the pools-those (plus whatever other mine types I can scrounge) will find their way onto Tinian. The first SS ML TF will carry 100 of them there. The return trip will finish the pools.

On a related note-there's two xAKLs available at Truk. These can convert to ACMs, which they will do. Hopefully, they'll survive 15 days to 'hatch'. My goal is to keep them at Guam and Saipan to support the minefields. I have an ACM from Babeldoab enroute to Tinian to support the minefield I'm going to lay there.

3. I am making a calculated risk here, but I will guess that my opponent does not use night air attacks very often. If correct, then my 3x IJNAF night fighter units on the board are useless.

I strip them of their good pilots (harvesting about 20 pilots for the general reserve pool) and fill 'em up with replacements. I set them on Daylight mission / 90% training. Hopefully, I can get some decent pilots within 60 days. It's a long-ish scenario, so I'm hoping that I can bide some time before he comes in.

4. There is an ARD at Truk at the beginning of this scenario. [X(] Gold. It's too exposed there, so it is ordered to move to Babeldoab posthaste.

5. Other submarines in the area are ordered to RTB at Babeldoab. I'll refuel and rearm, put some decent (and aggressive) captains into 'em and figure out some decent patrol zones afterwards.

6. All other air units are filled out-mostly with replacements for training. Three fighter units on Saipan and Guam are selected to receive some decent replacements from General Reserve. All units are set for 90% training for their respective specialties. I have no airframes in the pools on turn zero, so I don't know what to expect insofar as replacements moving forward. Next turn will tell.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Good luck.

I only played this scenario once as the Allies, but I recall that fort levels and CD on Saipan broke my back. Of course, that's where I went first. [:)]

I think Tinian, Guam, then Saipan is the best order for the Allies, but he may not know that. I also believe the Allies get one Recon unit with enough range to spy from Eniwetok, so you won't have any early breathing room to hide.
The Moose
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Thanks, Moose. Any advice is most welcome.

@ Canoerebel: hope you don't mind the ribbing. Of course I'm kidding. Today it's not snow, but heavy rains. All day. Haven't yet mowed the lawn, but hope to need to by June. Seriously.
DivePac88

Post by DivePac88 »

Good luck, and much Chicken-power.
When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Naw, I don't mind ribbing. After all, I opened the fray with my glaciers comment, so I deserve it.

On a more serious note, I hope you have a great and memorable match.
Chickenboy

First turn setup

Post by Chickenboy »

Allied turn one:

Great googley moogley! [X(] My goodness- the Allies have a lot of ships in this scenario! 15+ CVs, modern (and old) BBs aplenty, scads of submarines and lots of other support ships.

Thus far, my actions have been limited to replotting submarine patrol zones-but that's taken a couple of hours just in and of itself.

I'm still uncertain what to do with most of my Allied striking force and / or land forces:

Go for the gusto? Saipan and Guam? Immediately take (and build) Tinian and Rota to support subsequent invasions of Saipan and Guam? What to prep for what? When? How long do I have?

Do I capture minimal ground and focus on liquidating his navy for maximal points?

I'll have to review the forces at my disposal and try to back calculate needs. One thing for sure-I'll need to make sure that troops are fully (or nearly fully) prepped for the most important invasion sites.

Early goals already determined:

1. Not many. Will need to revisit.

2. USN (SS) interdiction of IJN assets in the region.

3. Destruction of IJNAF airfields and airframes, particularly in less-defended outlying areas.

4. USN CV-led port attacks to destroy IJN shipping in the area. I want that ARD at Truk and I'm going to get it. If he's moving it out of the area (as I chose to do), I want to intercept it before it reaches Babeldoab and sink it at sea. This requires an early (this turn?) effort to sweep the area.

Alright, I got the hammer. Now I'm going to go looking for some nails....

More later.

USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Thanks, Moose. Any advice is most welcome.

@ Canoerebel: hope you don't mind the ribbing. Of course I'm kidding. Today it's not snow, but heavy rains. All day. Haven't yet mowed the lawn, but hope to need to by June. Seriously.

Once June arrives, of course, you will have to mow the lawn every other day. [:D]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

Gonna be reading both sides (of both sides) of this one, so not many comments.  Good luck, CB! [8D]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
moore4807

RE: First turn setup

Post by moore4807 »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Allied turn one:

Great googley moogley! [X(] My goodness- the Allies have a lot of ships in this scenario! 15+ CVs, modern (and old) BBs aplenty, scads of submarines and lots of other support ships.

Thus far, my actions have been limited to replotting submarine patrol zones-but that's taken a couple of hours just in and of itself.

I'm still uncertain what to do with most of my Allied striking force and / or land forces:

Go for the gusto? Saipan and Guam? Immediately take (and build) Tinian and Rota to support subsequent invasions of Saipan and Guam? What to prep for what? When? How long do I have?

Do I capture minimal ground and focus on liquidating his navy for maximal points?

I'll have to review the forces at my disposal and try to back calculate needs. One thing for sure-I'll need to make sure that troops are fully (or nearly fully) prepped for the most important invasion sites.

Early goals already determined:

1. Not many. Will need to revisit.

2. USN (SS) interdiction of IJN assets in the region.

3. Destruction of IJNAF airfields and airframes, particularly in less-defended outlying areas.

4. USN CV-led port attacks to destroy IJN shipping in the area. I want that ARD at Truk and I'm going to get it. If he's moving it out of the area (as I chose to do), I want to intercept it before it reaches Babeldoab and sink it at sea. This requires an early (this turn?) effort to sweep the area.

Alright, I got the hammer. Now I'm going to go looking for some nails....

More later.

[&o][&o][&o]
CB - anybody that starts a message with Great Googley Moogley! is a man's man! LOL I officially change my allegiance to you in this battle and will eagerly await the daily AAR's [:D][8D][:D] And yes I WILL read AAR's from both sides!
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Thanks, moore4807...

Update:

IJN Turn: TFs away. Tinian mined-more on the way.

I've ordered a number of SS to patrol approaches to Eniwetok, as it seems a likely staging ground for incursions into the area. Assuming that some of the Allied landing forces will be transiting from Pearl on a direct path for Saipan, I've ordered a number of submarines to patrol likely avenues on approach vectors to Saipan.

In what is surely a premonition of victory: I have increased the IJ victory points spread by 2 points today! Two Allied planes were lost to OPs yesterday. BANZAI! BANZAI! BANZAI! [:D]

More information regarding reinforcements. Large TF with multiple BBs (both Mushashi and Yamato), CAs and CVs (at least 6?) arrive in 15 days. I'll still be woefully outnumbered, but can perhaps interject some significant hurt to Allied landings. Additional IJNAF units arrive sporadically over the next 60 days.

I looked again at the ARD at Truk. It'll make 1 knot speed and is only worth 4 VPs in any case. Perhaps it's not A. Worth moving and B. Won't get anywhere anyways-probably will get picked off by a submarine en route. I'm going to order it back to Truk-it can take its lumps there.

A few units have begun (slowly) training up in the necessary skills. The effort will be insufficient, but is still necessary to try to glean ANY possible edge in the upcoming fight-no matter how small.

I'm pulling as much of a full Infantry Division off of Pelileu as I can and sending it to Saipan. I received some xAKLs and a handful of woefully inadequate transports at Babeldoab to accomplish this transport. It will require several trips over the next week. I imagine that these ships will be so much submarine bait.

Philosophically-my goal in this scenario is to win on points, not stymie the Allied advance into the Marianas. The points value reflects this reality. 780 points for Saipan (a total of about 1100 points "swing" once the Japs lose it and the Allies gain it) *is* a big deal-no doubt.

But throwing the combined fleet at the USN will only make matters worse-throwing good money after bad. That's another couple thousand VPs potentially thrown away. Again, since this scenario is in a mirror campaign and the overall points winner is the winner, saving VP losses in this scenario is as important as garnering as much slaughter as possible in the other one.

Thus, I'm weighing when and how to introduce the combined fleet into the situation. I'm less likely to throw my overmatched CVs (and support) away in this case on a direct defense of the Marianas. I see more VPs to gain by sneaking them around (probably to the North) and trying to nick some of the flotsam of damaged ships limping back to Pearl.

In an effort to better utilize the CA and BB night fighting abilities, I'm thinking of trying to figure out a way to spring them into the middle of the amphibious invasion forces at Saipan-probably from the Northwest. Certainly they will be slaughtered the following day by Allied CV forces, but they may do sufficient damage to warrant their sacrifice.

In any case, I'll have two weeks of BOHICA to look forward to before I have to commit. Until then my fleet consists of rafts constructed with dried seaweed and snot (reference, anyone?), some popsicle stick transports and a couple guys in a sea kayak wearing loincloths and scowls.
Chickenboy

Second turn away...

Post by Chickenboy »

USN Turn:

Geez, that took forever. [8|]

First orders:

1. Supply shipped to some regional bases. Johnston Atoll, et. al., start off precariously low on goodies.

2. Establishing air search, recon, ASW and training orders for pilots / planes in the region-particularly on the plentiful bases.

I have a surfeit of USMC airgroups available. I should keep this in mind in strategizing how to deal with the Marianas. Perhaps setting up an airbase on Pagan or other small rock in the Marianas to support the landings is worthwhile. I can base the USMC units there...

3. CV TFs go hunting-I've ordered all available CVs (and most CVLs and support) to sea. I've set up 5 CVTFs each with 2-3 CVs, 1-2 CVLs, a fast support BB, 1-2 CA, 1 CLAA, several CL and ~8 DDs. All have left port following a DE ASW TF (42 ASW rating! [X(]) by one hex. Destination: Eniwetok. They'll top off tanks there and then decide where to go for 'Hammer Time'.

Basic CV settings: CAP 40%; DBs 20% ASW, 20% Search, naval attack 10,000; TBs 10% search, naval attack (torpedo) 5,000 ft. Until the IJN CVs arrive, I may jack the CAP up to 50-60% to accomodate the likely IJNAF LBA interjection.

For now, a major role of this CVTF will be to debilitate IJNAF in the area. I will encourage snoopers to come by the TFs (and get buzzsawed by CAP) and I will encourage DBs to take a chance (and get buzzsawed by CAP).

Other DD and DE ASW TFs are also heading to sea. They will hunt independently for IJN SS operating in the region. The ASW capabilities of Allied destroyers in mid-1944 is stunning-almost unfair to put some crappy RO-boats against this might.

4. AOs load. I have something like 800,000 fuel in Pearl. I will need to move this closer to the front to support the landing operations eventually. No time like the present to load the goods.

5. SS patrol zones started. I'm particulalarly emphasizing patrol zones to the West and NW of the Marianas (Due North of Babeldoab / Peleliu). This is the most likely location for the IJN to congregate in preparation for a counterstrike against the landings. This region will be heavily patrolled by Allied submarines. My LR recon assets in the Marianas won't reach this region, so the subs will have to be my eyes and ears moving forward.

6. Future amphibious assault plans. Ooh...this is going to be a tough choice. I've recombined a couple Marine IRs into parent IDs. The whole divisions generally have greater combat resilience than do the component regiments. Dunno why, but they do.

I have two Marine Divisions and an Army Division (and copious support) 100 % pre-registered / prepared for Saipan. I can't change that now. If I go to Saipan, it's gotta be with those forces already prepped for the party. If I change the prep settings for these three divisions, they'll take considerably more casualties if they land under fire.

Knowing what I know about the defenders on Saipan (from my great intel on the mirror campaign...), I know that I'll need every prepped boot that I can get on the ground there to secure the island. I can't redirect these Saipan Marines to-say-assaulting Guam instead without nixing the nvasion of Saipan.

Indeed, as I review the OOB for infantry / Marines, it seems a near-run thing. If I choose the historical (and prepped) locations for invasion, I must assume that my response will meet as hot or hotter defenses than historical. A carefully buttressed defense on Saipan MAY not be takeable with the existing forces I have on hand.

I *need* to get all my units in the fight that I can. I have large numbers of navy bombers and patrol planes that *need* good bases in and around the Marianas in order to project their power. I've got to get these bases earlier rather than later in this scenario for maximum effect.

I'm leaning toward a reinforced Guam-Rota-Tinian invasion front using available forces earlier rather than later, but I'm still undecided. No, that's not right. I'm uncertain. I need to think on this some more...
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

Until then my fleet consists of rafts constructed with dried seaweed and snot (reference, anyone?), some popsicle stick transports and a couple guys in a sea kayak wearing loincloths and scowls.

"We busied ourselves chopping palm fronds and lacing them to bamboo with dried seaweed and snot." - Top Secret (the movie)

Return to “After Action Reports”