Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

heya

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Design and Modding >> heya Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
heya - 4/29/2011 4:57:54 PM   
RisingSun

How things going in here? I played some on my mods and didnt play long enough tho, someday i will finish it or try Star Trek mod. At the meantime i been working on another mod for another game.
Post #: 1
RE: heya - 4/29/2011 6:59:26 PM   
Data

Seems you have a thing for modding, can you (or any other with experience in this) tell me what is the game with the most extensive modding support you've encountered? I want to have an idea as to how much should we ask /expect in DW.
I can think of XCOM as one example, altough mods for that were known as game enhancers

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to RisingSun)
Post #: 2
RE: heya - 4/29/2011 7:23:39 PM   
RisingSun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Data

Seems you have a thing for modding, can you (or any other with experience in this) tell me what is the game with the most extensive modding support you've encountered? I want to have an idea as to how much should we ask /expect in DW.
I can think of XCOM as one example, altough mods for that were known as game enhancers

I been modding games since late 90's, i put most of my works into HoI Series, since they dont do well by history such as OOB, Models, etcs. I also mod some into WitP:AE and alot of other games (cant remember them all).

Right now i back into Pacific Storm: Allies made by Russia and trying to clean it up alittle and make it more realistic. I like to get into 3D RTS and Simulation. Been trying to get all the correct names for models and bases, it took me over three months last time i did it, now i am trying to improve it some by starting from scratch. But i dont do 3D model graphics, just wallpapers and pictures.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 3
RE: heya - 4/29/2011 7:29:19 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

Seems you have a thing for modding, can you (or any other with experience in this) tell me what is the game with the most extensive modding support you've encountered? I want to have an idea as to how much should we ask /expect in DW. I can think of XCOM as one example, altough mods for that were known as game enhancers

I can think of a couple of games that are extremely mod-able (is that a word?)...

Harpoon which is sold by this company... there is lots of things to modify in that game.
Rebellion -- which is very old, but very mod-able.

Those are my picks...

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to RisingSun)
Post #: 4
RE: heya - 4/29/2011 7:45:16 PM   
Data

Rebellion, ooo yes
And just to be sure HoI comes from Hearts of Iron? From this genre I think I only played Panzer General and I'm constantly amazed by how many titles cover that period; some hardcore players for them, I think now I understand better where grognards comes from

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 5
RE: heya - 4/29/2011 7:51:52 PM   
RisingSun

quote:

Rebellion, ooo yes
And just to be sure HoI comes from Hearts of Iron? From this genre I think I only played Panzer General and I'm constantly amazed by how many titles cover that period; some hardcore players for them, I think now I understand better where grognards comes from

Yes HoI is Hearts of Iron by Paradox, put alot of work into HoI II and III, but they keep making samn mistake twice and wont listen to fans or expert. Im into WWII in the Pacific mostly, its where i do alot of research on Japanese History since WWI for over twenty years.

These are mods i made for HoI II and III...
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?475839-Anyone-interesting-in-Pacific-Mod-for-GC36&highlight=

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?426483-WIP-JapMod-HoI3-(1936)&highlight=

Also remember putting some efforts into Star Empire 5, since it was so bugged and some into GalCivII as well.

< Message edited by RisingSun -- 4/29/2011 8:32:23 PM >

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 6
RE: heya - 5/11/2011 10:52:40 AM   
Data

that's actually a solid visiting card, the part about GalCiv2 sounds great. I remember being impressed about how many editors it had and the modding section on the forum.

(in reply to RisingSun)
Post #: 7
RE: heya - 5/11/2011 11:41:34 AM   
TcSagat

Hi all. Data the most two mod-able games that I meet were Space Empires V and Warcraft III. I would really like to see Distant Worlds to be modable like SE V.

That's an example of what I mean http://www.arpeegy.com/htdocs/Leisure/B5WMod.htm

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 8
RE: heya - 5/11/2011 12:42:30 PM   
Data

Thx for the feedback, TcSagat, and welcome to the forum. That is indeed a great range of moddable features, we all wait the day when DW will be as available for modding.

(in reply to TcSagat)
Post #: 9
RE: heya - 5/11/2011 6:14:05 PM   
Shark7

quote:

I think I fit in that category as well. Someone who will spend more time modding the game than actually playing it.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 10
RE: heya - 5/11/2011 8:32:42 PM   
Data

Well that puts me in an odd spot...I spend more time testing game mechanics than actually playing it, therefore not a modder or player and more of a detail freak with ocd.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 11
RE: heya - 5/12/2011 2:29:33 AM   
the1sean

Data, you are on the testing team, right? lol

I agree that mod support makes a huge difference in lifespan for games. Both with new content like the wonderful star trek and star wars mods, or enhanced gameplay or art like in the diverse worlds mod, and my redux mod.

Personally I hope that DW continues to move in the direction that armada 2526 went, with easy to edit word files and art folders that load instead of the main game folders when added to a mod. currently the design is similar, but if you want to edit anything outside of what is listed in the customization guide, you have to mod the actual game folders permanently Hopefully we will see support for Armada-esque modding soon, as Matrix has mentioned that they are having to break out code for regionalization of the game...

Check out my GAMEPLAY REDUX MOD (ROTS)

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 12
RE: heya - 5/12/2011 9:53:55 AM   
Data

could not agree more

(in reply to the1sean)
Post #: 13
RE: heya - 5/13/2011 3:45:56 PM   
Setekh

Looks like my Homeworld 2 shipset is still getting a steady stream of downloads too. :)
I love the fact that 2D games like this are extremely easy to mod.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 14
RE: heya - 5/14/2011 6:33:34 PM   
Chet Guiles

Mod-able -- that's a modalicious word. Ought to go in the dictionary.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 15
RE: heya - 5/14/2011 7:14:24 PM   
Data

It will eventually....the gaming dictionary

(in reply to Chet Guiles)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Design and Modding >> heya Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI