Matrix Games Forums

More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patchNew Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge UpdateCommand gets a huge update!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can't draw new pilots from replacements

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Can't draw new pilots from replacements Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can't draw new pilots from replacements - 4/27/2011 6:02:05 PM   
rader

I've got tons of replacement pilots in both army and navy polls (playing as Japan). It is November 1944 and I just started getting training groups (not sure if this is related, but probably not). For some reason, I now cann't draw pilots into my groups from replacements for either army or navy. It dosen't give any message, it just dosen't get any new pilots... is there some limit on the total number? Not sure why this would be... any ideas??
Post #: 1
RE: Can't draw new pilots from replacements - 4/27/2011 6:14:48 PM   
Jzanes

I am Rader's opponent in this game and I'm having the same problem all of a sudden.

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 2
RE: Can't draw new pilots from replacements - 4/27/2011 6:24:02 PM   
Alfred

Do the air units already have 133% of pilot TOE?

You can only draw pilots from the "Replacement" pool up to 133% of TOE. Hence a USA fighter squadron with a 25 plane TOE, you can only draw up to 33 pilots in the squadron. Once the fighter squadron has 33 pilots assigned to it, the draw pilots from "Replacement" pool disappears although you will still see the button for drawing a "Veteran" pilot.

Alfred

(in reply to Jzanes)
Post #: 3
RE: Can't draw new pilots from replacements - 4/27/2011 6:30:30 PM   
Jzanes

No that's not it.  I noted this issue with squadrons well below the 133% threshold.  It's definately some new issue we haven't seen all game.  The "get new pilot" button is "lit up" suggesting you can add a pilot but when you push it, nothing happens at all.  Some units can still get a veteran by pushing "get veteran" and choosing a pilot, but some units can't even do this.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 4
RE: Can't draw new pilots from replacements - 4/27/2011 6:42:26 PM   
rader

I'm guessing that there is some total cap on the number of pilots that can be in the game database... we must have hit it! Late 1944, lots of planes, I be that could be it...

(in reply to Jzanes)
Post #: 5
RE: Can't draw new pilots from replacements - 4/27/2011 7:13:02 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: rader

I'm guessing that there is some total cap on the number of pilots that can be in the game database... we must have hit it! Late 1944, lots of planes, I be that could be it...

I believe there is a cap, but I thought it was made huge in AE and they recycle slots from KIAs. You ought to post a save game.

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 6
RE: Can't draw new pilots from replacements - 4/27/2011 10:33:08 PM   
Jzanes

here is the most recent allied save. PM me for the password if needed.

does anyone remember what the new pilot cap is anyways? i remember they increased it but forget by how much. also i wonder if KIA pilots are actually being removed from the total.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Jzanes -- 4/27/2011 10:35:21 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 7
RE: Can't draw new pilots from replacements - 4/28/2011 6:48:01 AM   
michaelm

quote:

I've got tons of replacement pilots in both army and navy polls (playing as Japan). It is November 1944 and I just started getting training groups (not sure if this is related, but probably not). For some reason, I now cann't draw pilots into my groups from replacements for either army or navy. It dosen't give any message, it just dosen't get any new pilots... is there some limit on the total number? Not sure why this would be... any ideas??

Can you give a specific group?

I have loaded the save and could 'Get pilot' without issues.

Michael

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 8
RE: Can't draw new pilots from replacements - 4/28/2011 6:49:53 AM   
michaelm

New pilot limit is 50,000

Michael

(in reply to michaelm)
Post #: 9
RE: Can't draw new pilots from replacements - 4/28/2011 8:17:24 AM   
michaelm

Okay, I found a group that can't take pilots.
And yes it is at 50,000 pilots.

Let me see if that is actual.
Yep. Only 20 out of 50,000 free.

Here is the posted save updated to free pilots

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by michaelm -- 4/28/2011 9:13:30 AM >

Michael

(in reply to michaelm)
Post #: 10
RE: Can't draw new pilots from replacements - 4/28/2011 9:00:08 AM   
michaelm

quote:

Post the Japanese turn here and I can free up some more pilots in your 1106 version.

See above if happy to redo last turn.

< Message edited by michaelm -- 4/28/2011 9:14:01 AM >

Michael

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 11
RE: Can't draw new pilots from replacements - 4/28/2011 12:37:18 PM   
PaxMondo

Michael,

Thanks for this info ... 50,000.  That's a big number.  Surprising that it was hit!!

Pax

(in reply to michaelm)
Post #: 12
RE: Can't draw new pilots from replacements - 4/28/2011 12:47:54 PM   
michaelm

I think that it is the deadwood. Pilots marked as inactive due to being killed or captured.
Even getting rid of those, only brought the total free down by a couple of thousand.
IIRC, the original stock number was about 30,000.

Michael

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 13
RE: Can't draw new pilots from replacements - 4/28/2011 12:48:28 PM   
Jzanes

Thanks Michael. Great to hear that there is a fix available. Would you mind fixing this file instead for me? We've done a couple turns since I posted that other save and I'd hate to have to go back since each turn takes me 4-6 hours to setup the vast allied force at this point.

Also a couple questions;

1. Does the japanese player (Rader) also need to post a save to be fixed? If so, I assume he'd post the save he generates after getting back my "fixed" file? then he'd have you fix that file and we should be good to go?
2. are the japanese and allied pools separate at all? I'm worried that if there is a limited # of available slots, the japanese player will get 1st shot at using them up, leaving no slots left for the allied player.
3. would it be possible to know about how many slots the fix opens up and whether it's a temporary fix or something more permanent? we've got at least another year to go and i'm sure we'll just keep adding more and more pilots to the mix.

anyways thanks again and good work as always.

ps. just saw your last post here and one other question. when you clear out the deadwood can you be sure not to clear out any dead pilots that had say 10 or more kills? i enjoy being able to see the high scoring aces on the list even if they are KIA/MIA.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Jzanes -- 4/28/2011 12:52:50 PM >

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 14
RE: Can't draw new pilots from replacements - 4/28/2011 12:59:44 PM   
michaelm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jzanes
1. Does the japanese player (Rader) also need to post a save to be fixed? If so, I assume he'd post the save he generates after getting back my "fixed" file? then he'd have you fix that file and we should be good to go?
There is one array for ALL pilots in game.
2. are the japanese and allied pools separate at all? I'm worried that if there is a limited # of available slots, the japanese player will get 1st shot at using them up, leaving no slots left for the allied player.
3. would it be possible to know about how many slots the fix opens up and whether it's a temporary fix or something more permanent? we've got at least another year to go and i'm sure we'll just keep adding more and more pilots to the mix.
It will be a fix added to the next beta to clear out lost pilots.

anyways thanks again and good work as always.

ps. just saw your last post here and one other question. when you clear out the deadwood can you be sure not to clear out any dead pilots that had say 10 or more kills? i enjoy being able to see the high scoring aces on the list even if they are KIA/MIA.
The array is cleared out on a decreasing nmber of kills (starts at 3 and increase each pass until it gets to 10 kills). Once it frees up about a 100 slots, it continues until it needs to have another go.

Updated save

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by michaelm -- 4/28/2011 1:12:20 PM >

Michael

(in reply to Jzanes)
Post #: 15
RE: Can't draw new pilots from replacements - 4/28/2011 1:16:43 PM   
Jzanes

thanks for the updated file and one last question just to be clear; does the japanese player also need to have you fix a save or did you fix the entire array when you fixed my file?

sounds like we'll need to apply the next release of the beta patch to avoid this in the future.

edit: i downloaded the zip you posted but keep getting an error message when i try to extract the file into the witp save folder. what's the procedure for doing this?

< Message edited by Jzanes -- 4/28/2011 1:24:26 PM >

(in reply to michaelm)
Post #: 16
RE: Can't draw new pilots from replacements - 4/28/2011 3:48:23 PM   
michaelm

I downloaded it and the funny file name unzip'ed okay (unzips to wpae182.wps).

Also, there is just the one pilot array shared by both players.

What exactly is the error?

< Message edited by michaelm -- 4/28/2011 3:49:28 PM >

Michael

(in reply to Jzanes)
Post #: 17
RE: Can't draw new pilots from replacements - 4/28/2011 4:00:01 PM   
Jzanes

keep getting an "unknown error" when i try to extract/copy the wpae182.pws file. i'll send you a PM with my email address and if it's no problem, maybe you could just directly email the file.

edit: i tested out downloading other saves that people have uploaded to the forum and i had no problems. there is something specific to this file that is causing my computer trouble. <shrug>

< Message edited by Jzanes -- 4/28/2011 4:17:50 PM >

(in reply to michaelm)
Post #: 18
RE: Can't draw new pilots from replacements - 4/28/2011 6:08:37 PM   
Jzanes

got the turn and was able to pull some new pilots but they quickly ran out. even with improved "cleanup" of inactive pilots in the next patch, i'm afraid late war games are going to regularly run out of pilot slots. would it be possible to increase the max pilot pool to say 100,000 or so?

i did a rough counting of the pilots on my (allied) side;

currently:
11000 land-based airframes
4000 naval based airframes
150 pilots on the top pilots list that are KIA/MIA (ie. inactive)
2500 pilots in group reserve
1100 pilots in the reserve pool

rough current total = 18750

future:
roughly 10000 airframes due to arrive before game end.
many allied squadrons get resized and end up much larger before game end.
the allies are scheduled to have 1000 airframes withdrawn by game's end but i imagine most of these will have their pilots go to the pool and not come off the pilot array.

< Message edited by Jzanes -- 4/28/2011 6:43:14 PM >

(in reply to Jzanes)
Post #: 19
RE: Can't draw new pilots from replacements - 4/29/2011 11:37:18 PM   
jcjordan

Does this max pilots limit include those pilots in the replacement pool (graduated training but never in a unit) or just those that are in active units or in one of the reserve/veteran pools (ie training command, group due to arrive later, etc)?

(in reply to Jzanes)
Post #: 20
RE: Can't draw new pilots from replacements - 4/30/2011 3:16:48 AM   
michaelm

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcjordan

Does this max pilots limit include those pilots in the replacement pool (graduated training but never in a unit) or just those that are in active units or in one of the reserve/veteran pools (ie training command, group due to arrive later, etc)?

Those who get assigned to a group or in one of the reserve/vet/trancom pools. Basically a 'named' pilot rather than the lump sum in the replacement pool.

Michael

(in reply to jcjordan)
Post #: 21
RE: Can't draw new pilots from replacements - 5/1/2011 6:46:44 AM   
Feurer Krieg

So this is the pilot bug all over again? I though the AE cap was going to be so far beyond what was needed that this wouldn't be a problem. Has anyone calculated total pilots needed to fill out units in the late war? I already had to stop one game after years of play time, I really don't want to spend another 4 years on a game that I won't be able to finish.

Is it possible to increase this array? I suspect no since that was the answer in stock, but just wanted to ask.

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net and www.skybirdart.com, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to michaelm)
Post #: 22
RE: Can't draw new pilots from replacements - 5/1/2011 7:20:00 AM   
michaelm

IMHO, I wouldn't think that the game needs to stop until there were no available pilots in any of the spare pilot pools - like reserves, TRANCOM, group - that could be pulled into an active group.

Michael

(in reply to Feurer Krieg)
Post #: 23
RE: Can't draw new pilots from replacements - 5/1/2011 4:35:43 PM   
inqistor

Quick check in editor shows this numbers.
Overall almost 44k planes. Only few Japan airgroups withdraw, but probably quite a few on Allied side, but considering, that there could be 1/3rd more pilots, that those numbers, groups can be expanded, and players can play with WITHDRAWALS OFF, it could be tight, for 50k limit.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 24
RE: Can't draw new pilots from replacements - 5/3/2011 4:52:45 PM   
Yakface

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feurer Krieg

So this is the pilot bug all over again? I though the AE cap was going to be so far beyond what was needed that this wouldn't be a problem. Has anyone calculated total pilots needed to fill out units in the late war? I already had to stop one game after years of play time, I really don't want to spend another 4 years on a game that I won't be able to finish.

Is it possible to increase this array? I suspect no since that was the answer in stock, but just wanted to ask.

This is mental. As per FK, I had to stop a WITP game due to the pilot bug after years of play. To now find that the limit on pilots has been only moderately increased is not very pleasing.

With the 44K planes Inqistor calculates and the 1/3 extra per group + Tracom + Reserves, then every game is virtually guaranteed to run into the issue. Yes, Tracom pools and reserve pools can be emptied....but bloody hell - why should we have to piddle about with that.

And what about scn 2 which has more Japanese squadrons.....and then there are peoples own mods, where in my experience, numbers of air groups only go up never down.

Why on earth wasn't the cap on pilots set well beyond anything that was going to limit the game? If this is a game killer I shall be contemplating murder.....or suicide

< Message edited by Yakface -- 5/3/2011 5:00:59 PM >

Post #: 25
RE: Can't draw new pilots from replacements - 5/3/2011 7:13:26 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yakface

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feurer Krieg

This is mental. As per FK, I had to stop a WITP game due to the pilot bug after years of play. To now find that the limit on pilots has been only moderately increased is not very pleasing.

With the 44K planes Inqistor calculates and the 1/3 extra per group + Tracom + Reserves, then every game is virtually guaranteed to run into the issue. Yes, Tracom pools and reserve pools can be emptied....but bloody hell - why should we have to piddle about with that.

And what about scn 2 which has more Japanese squadrons.....and then there are peoples own mods, where in my experience, numbers of air groups only go up never down.

Why on earth wasn't the cap on pilots set well beyond anything that was going to limit the game? If this is a game killer I shall be contemplating murder.....or suicide

The question you ask is valid, the way you ask it is not.

(in reply to Yakface)
Post #: 26
RE: Can't draw new pilots from replacements - 5/3/2011 9:55:50 PM   
AirGriff

That was pretty harsh, but as you said it is a valid question. I dearly love this game and am ever thankful to the folks who devoted so much time to making what I believe is the best strategy game I'll ever play. I daresay it is more a passion than a hobby at this point, but I'm sure I speak for many when I say I really need to hear what is being done about this issue. A lack of an answer tells me we're stuck. If something's being done to fix it (more than what was mentioned above), but requires a restart. then I wouldn't exactly be happy about that, but I would appreciate and respect an honest answer (rest assured, I'll play again--I'm addicted). I just don't want to spend literally years dedicating time to a game that will be broken at the climax. An official answer of some sort would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Can't draw new pilots from replacements Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI