Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scenario build issues

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Combat Command Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Scenario build issues Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scenario build issues - 4/26/2011 10:09:28 PM   
hank

I thought that might be a generic thread title for those of us experiencing difficulties with our first battle.

why won't units display when playing the game? In the editor everything looks good but when I go to test the game no units are on the map.

how do I get my sce description to pop up when selecting the sce? I have a txt file with the exact same name like the stock sce's but no luck.

I tried following the manual but I could have missed some small critical piece of the pie. If I did, pls excuse.
Here's my first sce file so you can see the errors of my ways.

For those who look at this sce, I'm not nearly complete. The russian forces only have one company of units. The Germans have basically the full force I intend on using. ... its a work in progress

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hank -- 4/26/2011 10:11:01 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Scenario build issues - 4/26/2011 10:17:57 PM   
JMass

quote:

ORIGINAL: hank
why won't units display when playing the game? In the editor everything looks good but when I go to test the game no units are on the map.

Check that Reinforcement Turn is 1 and Reinforcement Mode is None for every unit.

Attachment (1)

"Klotzen, nicht Kleckern!"Generaloberst Heinz Wilhelm Guderian

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 2
RE: Scenario build issues - 4/27/2011 1:41:06 PM   
hank

Oh !! Thanks

OK, now that I'm off work and can check these things ... a few comments:

I checked the manual and there's nothing in the Editor section about those fields.. I know some close to the game will think its obvious but since the unit's default value is set to the value that prevents it from being displayed I would think the value would be set so they are displayed. ... sounds real wordy, sorry ... but can that be changed in the next patch?

I also can't see my description in the scenario selection window. How do I do that? I have a .txt file just like the other battles.

I'm not trying to nit-pick but it looks easy at first to build a scenario until you give it a try. I think the section in the manual for building scenarios needs to be reviewed and enhanced.

My gut feel is that it is easy to build scenarios if the manual had a couple of more pages of text on each dialog box with a description of each value in each field and its affects.

nuff said for now
fun game it is

< Message edited by hank -- 4/28/2011 12:33:54 AM >

(in reply to JMass)
Post #: 3
RE: Scenario build issues - 5/5/2011 11:03:20 PM   
hank

Well, things have improved. I have not played this game through but I have gone through 3 or 4 turns. I keep finding things to tweek.

One thing is ... how do you get the scenario description to come up when you're selecting the game. I tried creating a file just like the other sce's but it won't display.

It dispays a play result from last week but that's all. It just says a description is not available. I can't find in the manual how you make this work. ... not saying its not there but I can't find it.

Also, in the general forum a person asked for guidance on how to set the various factors for a unit that's not covered in the manual. That would help too.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2802428

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hank -- 5/6/2011 8:24:21 PM >

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 4
RE: Scenario build issues - 5/6/2011 9:31:08 AM   
JMass

quote:

ORIGINAL: hank
how do you get the scenario description to come up when you're selecting the game. I tried creating a file just like the other sce's but it won't display.

You must edit a text file naming it <scenario's name>desc.txt, it must be saved in the Scenarios folder

quote:

Also, in the general forum a person asked for guidance on how to set the various factors for a unit that's not covered in the manual. That would help too.

I extrapolated some factors from those of various scenarios to build an excel sheet (I'll make it public when ready), in my opinion some units should have (slightly) modified some factors, for example Tigers should have armor rating = 60, Panthers 65 and the first Sherman's versions 40...

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 5
RE: Scenario build issues - 5/6/2011 11:33:59 AM   
PirateJock

quote:

ORIGINAL: JMass
I extrapolated some factors from those of various scenarios to build an excel sheet (I'll make it public when ready), in my opinion some units should have (slightly) modified some factors, for example Tigers should have armor rating = 60, Panthers 65 and the first Sherman's versions 40...

Now you've said I'll have to hassle you to get hold of the file

Have you just looked at the Antitank Strength and Armour Value or have you included the Attack Strength and Defense Strength values as well?

Cheers

(in reply to JMass)
Post #: 6
RE: Scenario build issues - 5/6/2011 11:50:01 AM   
JMass

quote:

ORIGINAL: PirateJock

Now you've said I'll have to hassle you to get hold of the file

No, I said that you should be patient because I must first to finish my mod and other stuff for Ostfront too...

quote:

Have you just looked at the Antitank Strength and Armour Value or have you included the Attack Strength and Defense Strength values as well?

I looked at all the factors, I think we need a list like those of the JT Campaign Series.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to PirateJock)
Post #: 7
RE: Scenario build issues - 5/6/2011 12:13:52 PM   
PirateJock

Hi JMass

I will be patient ... don't want to distract you from your projects. Thanks for the example.

Cheers

(in reply to JMass)
Post #: 8
RE: Scenario build issues - 5/6/2011 8:03:20 PM   
hank

Thanks JMass. That little "desc" at the end of the file did the trick. I just missed it. I'm going to develop this scenario a bit further then go on to a more historical one. This one has somewhat historical unit names ... well, some do some don't. The sce description describes it as Fictitious .... which it ... just practice it is.

fwiw: I fixed that sce file and reuploaded it if anyone cares to try it out ... not sure about balance but so far its fun through 4 or 5 turns

< Message edited by hank -- 5/6/2011 8:25:29 PM >

(in reply to PirateJock)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Combat Command Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Scenario build issues Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI