Matrix Games Forums

New information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Arg ship collisions!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Arg ship collisions! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Arg ship collisions! - 4/24/2011 4:58:48 PM   
Sredni

I've got a bombardment TF running around in the DEI and it seems each time I send them on a bombardment run there's a collision. It hasn't been all bad since it's mostly between ca's and DD's, the CA's I use it as a chance to send them to capetown for their early 42 refits, and the DD's are small enough to repair at soerbaja.

But the latest collision was between a CA and a BB (BB Royal Sovereign collides with CA Northampton at XX,XX) and now I've got to send a slow ass BB, which doesn't need to refit, aaaaall the way to capetown to repair for a month and then aaaall the way back (that is if it's still safe to operate in the dei by that time).

And I'm not exaggerating about how often it happens. Every. Single. Time. Someone collides with someone else.

I know from reading some other threads about this that it did happen IRL, and that TF size has an impact as do combat and perhaps weather? But did it really happen this often? lol

So I'm wonder if I dropped my bombardment TF down to 20 ships from 25 would this have any real impact on the number of collisions? I could drop 5 CL's from the TF without impacting it's effectiveness since they don't really do much during bombardments anyways. I'm also considering reassigning Arthur Palliser since he seems to have some sort of jinx as an admiral .
Post #: 1
RE: Arg ship collisions! - 4/24/2011 5:05:08 PM   
topeverest

I dont see it in combat TF's if at all. usually in merhcant types. Check your crew experience for US ships and look at ship commanders and TF commander. See if anything jumps out at you. Were they avoiding a sub? Did you have adequate DD coverage (8+)? Bad weather in restricted waters?

review your reports and see if you can see a pattern

Just a few thoughts...

Andy M

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 2
RE: Arg ship collisions! - 4/24/2011 5:33:30 PM   
castor troy

I rarely have collissions and if they happen then usually between some xAK in big convoys while I have had once a damaged CVE that was going back for repairs (no danger of sinking) collide with a DD and the CVE went straight down...

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 3
RE: Arg ship collisions! - 4/24/2011 5:49:04 PM   
Sredni

Just 4 dd's in the TF, but I didn't see any sub combat. They were bombarding jolo this time and on the run in they skirmished with a DD (the DD shot up one of mine and then ran away without getting hit heh), smashed and sunk 4 akl's that happened to be in the way, and bombarded jolo before running back toward soerbaja. The combat with the 4 akl's was when the collision happened this time, but this batch of combat was unusual. Most of the bombardment runs I make I'm pretty careful about avoiding anything that can shoot back, these 4 akl's snuck through my navsearch.

Night combat, clear conditions, 89% moonlight. The BB has 72/58 xp, the CA 58/59 xp. So high 50's night xp. Their captains are the usual above average that you find on any combat ship. The TF was 4 BB's, 1 BC (yay repulse), 8 CA's, 8 CL's, and 4 DD's.

I havn't really worried about DD's too much since all the japanese subs seem to be off the east coast of OZ, around PH, and off the west coast of america.

Right now I have 5 US CA's, 1 British CA, 2 US CL's, 2 British CL's, and one new zealand CL on their way to or from or at capetown for repairs heh. The british ships all with 70ish/50ish xp and the american ships with 50/50 ish. There are probably an equal number of various DD's at soerbaja for repairs though I'm probably lucky none of them have sunk. All from collisions. There are a number of ships from early days that conducted their repairs and are back in action already as well.

It just seems like the number of collisions I've been experiencing are excessive and I'm wondering if I should change how I operate or if this is just the cost of doing business. Is 25 ships in a combat TF borderline excessive? Would having more DD's balance the force better in some way to allow it to operate in a safer fashion?

I've seen a handful of collisions in transport or supply TF's as well, but just a few here or there. My supply convoys are usually sized to the port they're using, so 104ktons or 128ktons or 172ktons. Which might work out to 20+ ships.

So far I havn't seen any sinkings from these collisions, though with the numbers I'm having it seems like just a matter of time. The BB and CA's are usually only 20+ish engine+float damage, the CL's a bit more. The DD's that have been involved often have 40-50 flotation or engine damage. The xAK's that I've seen involved in collisions range from light damage to crippling, but I've only seen 3 or 4 of those in the first 5 months of the war.

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 4
RE: Arg ship collisions! - 4/24/2011 6:12:00 PM   
Puhis

Combat/bombardment TF should not have more than 15 ships. More than 15 reduce effectiveness and increase collisions...

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 5
RE: Arg ship collisions! - 4/24/2011 6:40:32 PM   
Don Bowen

Collisions at sea are based on number of ships in the TF, TF speed (full speed increases chances), and what the Tf is doing (combat increases chances). And, of course, random luck.

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 6
RE: Arg ship collisions! - 4/24/2011 9:54:54 PM   
plund

Am I correct when I say that collisions never occur for the AI side?  Whenever I check the AI side I never see any ships that have collided.

If this is true, is it possible ot have control over this behavior as a game option?  ie maybe a line command switch to turn it off

Im really annoyed when I send a big convoy to Oz and it leaves at 10kts but then has a collision one day out and spends the entire trip at 3kts if I do not notice the collision and detach the damaged ships.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 7
RE: Arg ship collisions! - 4/24/2011 11:55:48 PM   
John Lansford

I had New Jersey collide with a DD on a bombardment mission in the PI's. The DD was badly hurt, NJ was damaged enough that I had to send her all the way back to freaking PH to get repaired.

The AI does get ships colliding; I've seen it happen when my ships raid a transport TF that's docked. When the ships tried to get underway, hilarity ensued when ship after ship ran into each other. Not that it mattered; I sank all of them anyway, but it was still fun to watch it take place.

(in reply to plund)
Post #: 8
RE: Arg ship collisions! - 4/25/2011 12:21:49 AM   
Bradley7735

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Lansford

I had New Jersey collide with a DD on a bombardment mission in the PI's. The DD was badly hurt, NJ was damaged enough that I had to send her all the way back to freaking PH to get repaired.

The AI does get ships colliding; I've seen it happen when my ships raid a transport TF that's docked. When the ships tried to get underway, hilarity ensued when ship after ship ran into each other. Not that it mattered; I sank all of them anyway, but it was still fun to watch it take place.

I had an ASW tf intercept a large AI cargo task force. I think I counted 8 collisions. At least 2 ships sank, and the ASW ships did not contribute. :)

The older I get, the better I was.

(in reply to John Lansford)
Post #: 9
RE: Arg ship collisions! - 4/25/2011 12:54:47 AM   
DivePac88

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sredni

Night combat, clear conditions, 89% moonlight. The BB has 72/58 xp, the CA 58/59 xp. So high 50's night xp. Their captains are the usual above average that you find on any combat ship. The TF was 4 BB's, 1 BC (yay repulse), 8 CA's, 8 CL's, and 4 DD's.

I think that this task force is far too big, and you definitely have an increased risk of collision. Also with a force that size, all your ships will not be engaging in combat or bombardment. For night bombardments I would be cutting your force into at least three squadrons.

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 10
RE: Arg ship collisions! - 4/25/2011 4:19:27 PM   
offenseman

Early in one of my PBEMS, I had Hiryu collide with Chikuma.  Neither went down but the KB was short a CV for a few months. It happens...

Sometimes things said in Nitwit sound very different in English.

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 11
RE: Arg ship collisions! - 4/25/2011 6:36:20 PM   
JohnDillworth

I got guys dropping shells all the time and nearly blowing up the ships. I don't know if they are buttering the shells or something but once you lose a turret you are in the yards for a while. Funny thing was I had it happen on an AE once and it only did minor damage. You would think that would be catastrophic.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it’s still on the list.

(in reply to offenseman)
Post #: 12
RE: Arg ship collisions! - 4/25/2011 7:15:35 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

I got guys dropping shells all the time and nearly blowing up the ships. I don't know if they are buttering the shells or something but once you lose a turret you are in the yards for a while. Funny thing was I had it happen on an AE once and it only did minor damage. You would think that would be catastrophic.

Did the AE have ammo (supply) aboard??

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 13
RE: Arg ship collisions! - 4/25/2011 11:36:33 PM   
jcjordan

I've had a tf of 4 destroyers going from Aden to Columbo & 2 of them collided, somewhat minor damage but out for a few days once in Columbo. Hence why I posted last week on what are the factors that improve on not having a collision.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Arg ship collisions! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI