1.04 The Wolf and the Bear (no Gids)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Tarhunnas

1.04 The Wolf and the Bear (no Gids)

Post by Tarhunnas »

This is an AAR for a 1941 GC PBEM, me as the Axis, Gids as the Soviets. Random weather, full FOW. Started with 4.01.10.

First turn. I do the Riga gambit in the north, and I send one panzer corps of the third panzer group to Dünaburg and cross the Dvina with one unit. This will let me send that corps either to the north to help AG north, or straight east, depending on what Ivan does.

In the center pretty much the standard Bialystok pocket. I use the blue army units to take Brest, to make sure I move as much infantry of 2d panzer group forward, and not let them waste any MPs fighting. I think it is important to get infantry to the Dnepr as soon as possible, and every MP counts.

In the south I go for the big Lvov pocket. It will probably be breakable, but I will be able to reseal it, and that will ensure those units doesn't get away. I also do a smaller Lvov pocket as well using the infantry. This is partly to cut the Soviets up so if the large pocket is broken, the westernmost units will still be isolated, and also to prevent the surrounded Sovs from wriggling too much. It will also let me displace a couple of airfields.

Attachments
T1Overview.jpg
T1Overview.jpg (300.9 KiB) Viewed 1773 times
------------------------------
RTW3 Designer
Tarhunnas

RE: 1.04 The Wolf and the Bear (no Gids)

Post by Tarhunnas »

Turn 2. The Lvov pocket is broken, to the south, but my supply lines to the Panzers hold. Heroic resistance py a lone panzer regiment that shrugs off a massive Soviet counterattack with just 20 casualties! [8D] I was a little worried about that regiment, it was the weak link, but it did its job! Iron crosses for everyone!

Attachments
T1SouthSovCA.jpg
T1SouthSovCA.jpg (173.48 KiB) Viewed 1747 times
RTW3 Designer
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

Turn 2 in the south after German move. I try to encircle a couple of uppity Soviet tank divisions in a forward deployment - it succeeds, but I use all the reserve motorised units that are activated on turn 2. I reseal the big pocket, but it feels weak. I think I botched that a little bit, but nobody's perfect.

Attachments
T2South.jpg
T2South.jpg (119.95 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
RTW3 Designer
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

In the center, I continue forward towards the Dnepr. Weak soviet resistance, I had expected a few more units in this area. The forward division is almost at the landbridge! Shot after German move. I do not waste Panzer movement and risk casualties by storming Minsk, I will leave that for the infantry to mop up next turn.

Attachments
T2Belarus.jpg
T2Belarus.jpg (131.42 KiB) Viewed 1742 times
RTW3 Designer
Aussiematto

Post by Aussiematto »

Given you didn't use 2nd Pz Group units down south that's a pretty good opening actually...

Was there any problem with not taking the small baltic port with the fort. region in it on turn 1? I hate having to lose a mobile unit to take it out but worry about the resupply... I'd dearly love to ignore it.

Thoughts?

Matt
I still remember cardboard!
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

ORIGINAL: majeloz

Was there any problem with not taking the small baltic port with the fort. region in it on turn 1? I hate having to lose a mobile unit to take it out but worry about the resupply... I'd dearly love to ignore it.

Thoughts?

Well, it means the Soviets can possibly move one or 2 units out by sea movement, and I will have send 2 or 3 infantry divisions to mop up the Soviets in the northern tip, but I think it is worth it to get more mobile units forward. It is a tradoff of course. Sending a mobile unit to take the port might mean more infantry at Pskov sooner, which is also important.
RTW3 Designer
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

I think it is worth it to send a mobile unit to get that port. One of the things the Axis want to do on the first turn is to flip as much territory from Russian control to Axis control as possible. By not taking that part, that whole area does not flip, causing the German advance to be cramped a bit. You can also use the port for sea lift and staging as well. The motorized unit just needs to run up, knock out the fort and then head back to the east while something is sea lifted in to hold the port. 
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

I always send the SS Div to take that port out near Riga. That would trap those routed Russian units, most of which will simply surrender in the logistics phase.

Considering you didn't borrow from Pz Gp 2, that is a good opening in the south.

I think I still prefer to borrow and close a pocket around Kovel, but I can see the benefits of not doing that.
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

Turn 3.

Lvov-pocket held! Again, a lone panzer regiment holds out against 6 desperate soviet counterattacks, where the Soviet soldiers are driven towards our positions by commisars wielding whips! The carnage on the enemy side is indescribable, but our panzer regiment again escapes with trifling losses!

Attachments
T3HeroPanzer.jpg
T3HeroPanzer.jpg (100.18 KiB) Viewed 1742 times
RTW3 Designer
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

In the north, the panzers trundle on towards Pskov. The infantry is not yet at the scene, but the panzers batter their way across the river at two points. We may be counterattaced and there is a risk that the forward divisions will be driven back across the river, but it's worth the risk to punch holes in the Pskov position!

Attachments
T3Pskov.jpg
T3Pskov.jpg (182.06 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
RTW3 Designer
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

In the center, the panzers are at the landbridge, and manage to do a little pocket to the west of the Dnepr.

Attachments
T3Landbridge.jpg
T3Landbridge.jpg (124.71 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
RTW3 Designer
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

And in the south, while most of the trapped Soviet units are eliminated, our motorised troops make a small pocket and are already reaching out for another possible encirclement.

Attachments
T3South.jpg
T3South.jpg (200.13 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
RTW3 Designer
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

Turn 4.

In eastern Belarus, the Soviets break the small pocket. [:@] The panzers are a bit tired and low on gas, as can be seen from the movement values. Shot at start of German turn.

Attachments
T4Belarus.jpg
T4Belarus.jpg (108.97 KiB) Viewed 1742 times
RTW3 Designer
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

After the German turn. Pocket resealed. I could have just wasted them as they are, but it is nice to bag two airborne brigades, and they are not really in the way. The panzers need some rest anyway, so not much happening, except that Das Reich manage to cross the Dnepr.

It truly seems like the Fuhrer said - we only need to kick in the door and the whole rotten building will collapse. Hopefully, it won't come down on our heads...

Attachments
T4BelarusA.jpg
T4BelarusA.jpg (114.17 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
RTW3 Designer
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

The north after German movement. The Pskov position is history and AGN is on track towards Leningrad.

Attachments
T4PskovA.jpg
T4PskovA.jpg (115.99 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
RTW3 Designer
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

In the Ukrine, the slimy russian ¤#%#$menschen managed to open a supply line to the remnants of the Lvov pocket. I must have been a little sloppy there, serves me right.

Up by the marshes, my panzer thrust is put out of sypply, but I half expected that. It was a little too optimistic. Still, no harm done, I can easily reestablish supply and continue east. This shot is before German moves but after recon. I do have the feeling the Ivans are making themselves scarce... Maybe they have decided that discretion is the better part of class conciousness...

Shot below is before German moves.

Attachments
T4Ukraine2.jpg
T4Ukraine2.jpg (129.34 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
RTW3 Designer
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

Almost forgot - losses and such after German turn 4.

Attachments
LossesEtc.jpg
LossesEtc.jpg (131.06 KiB) Viewed 1742 times
RTW3 Designer
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

Turn 5.

Mud in the west and in the south. It will stop operations in the south.

It appears the Soviets have withdrawn their line 2 or 3 hexes along most of the front. They even pull back from the Dnepr. Overview of northern part of the front before German move.

I find it hard to launch effective attacks in the north because of the Soviet withdrawal. My panzers end up at the Luga, without being able to accomplish a bridgehead.

Attachments
NorthT5.jpg
NorthT5.jpg (112.38 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
RTW3 Designer
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

Here is a shot of the Smolensk-area before German move. I did a buildup on 2 of my panzer corps last turn (forgot to mention that in the narrative, but it keeps the suspense, right?). They now have very healthy movement allowances.

Attachments
T5Smolensk.jpg
T5Smolensk.jpg (134.03 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
RTW3 Designer
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

And a map of the situation after the German move. The HQ buildup yields some spectacular results! I guess there will be some russian expletives in the STAVKA situation room when they study the map.

Attachments
T5Center.jpg
T5Center.jpg (111.57 KiB) Viewed 1747 times
RTW3 Designer

Return to “After Action Reports”