Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer Corps
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RRCBs "leaking" from Locked HQs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support >> RRCBs "leaking" from Locked HQs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RRCBs "leaking" from Locked HQs - 4/24/2011 1:34:08 PM   
76mm

Hi, I'm playing as Sov. I give each army a couple of RR constr brigades. All army and front HQs are locked. Nonetheless, I found that in many of my armies (but not all), RRCBs have migrated from the armies to the fronts, which is not where I want them. It took me a long time to realize this, I generally thought that I had somehow just failed to give RRCBs to some armies.

I think they migrate when they go to fix track, and then when they finish they go to the front, rather than the army. I have one front HQ with about 15 RRCBs, this is pretty annoying.

Is this WAD? If not, could you please fix?
Post #: 1
RE: RRCBs "leaking" from Locked HQs - 4/24/2011 3:26:37 PM   
CheerfullyInsane

Had the same problem, which is why I've switched to sapper regiments instead of RR brigades to lend a helping shovel with the digging of trenches.

I think it's WAD (though as usual, I could just as easily be wrong), since non-combat SUs are outside the control of the player.
It might (*might*, mind you) have something to do with most armies already being at their CP limit, thus the AI sends them to the Fronts instead.

Haven't really looked deeper into the problem since I switched to sappers instead though, so there might be some intricate way around the issue.
But I've found (in my admittedly limited experience) that a single RR brigade in each Army is more than enough to repair the railroads, at least during 41-42.
It only becomes an issue if you're also relying on the brigades to lend construction-support to your CUs.
Hence the sappers. Least they stay where intended instead of wandering off into the countryside, admiring their handiwork.

"Something is always wrong, Baldrick. The fact that I'm not a millionaire aristocrat with the sexual capacity of a rutting rhino is a constant niggle"
- Edmund Blackadder

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 2
RE: RRCBs "leaking" from Locked HQs - 4/24/2011 4:37:01 PM   
76mm

I attach the RRCBs to armies for help with entrenching. Their constr value is 40 vs 26 for a sapper regiment, so the difference is significant.

I've never heard that command points have any relation to SU placement, is that right?

In my view, locked should mean locked, not "locked except for...".

(in reply to CheerfullyInsane)
Post #: 3
RE: RRCBs "leaking" from Locked HQs - 4/24/2011 7:42:27 PM   
CheerfullyInsane

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

I've never heard that command points have any relation to SU placement, is that right?

In my view, locked should mean locked, not "locked except for...".

There's no direct affect on CPs due to support units, no.
It is merely what I *think* is the criteria the AI uses to assign the RR brigades after they're finished.

And I'd agree it should mean locked, not partially locked.
Then again, I never really understood why one should be able to use RR brigades as trench-diggers.
Surely the Russian railroads have other uses for them. Just seemed a bit 'gamey' to me.
I'd prefer it if the whole RR system was simply automated except for the handful of FBD/NKPS units available to fixate on the major spurs.
Besides, while the sappers have a lower construction value, they also have other uses while all the RR brigades bring are shovels.

"Something is always wrong, Baldrick. The fact that I'm not a millionaire aristocrat with the sexual capacity of a rutting rhino is a constant niggle"
- Edmund Blackadder

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 4
RE: RRCBs "leaking" from Locked HQs - 4/24/2011 9:01:44 PM   
Mehring

Same problem. I posted this but got no comment-

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2736170&mpage=1&key=�

“The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.”
¯ Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 5
RE: RRCBs "leaking" from Locked HQs - 4/25/2011 2:07:44 AM   
Marquo

I just noticed this, also. I think that what is happening is that the RR construciton brigades are hijacked to repair the RRs....maybe the regiments do not do so...this may be the real functional difference between the brigades and regiments.

Marquo 

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 6
RE: RRCBs "leaking" from Locked HQs - 4/25/2011 4:59:47 AM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: CheerfullyInsane
Then again, I never really understood why one should be able to use RR brigades as trench-diggers.
Surely the Russian railroads have other uses for them. Just seemed a bit 'gamey' to me.

You think that the guys who work on railroads don't know how to use a shovel?

To me it seems very odd to suggest that the Russians would maintain two seperate organizations, one to repair track, and one to dig fortifications. When the Russian are defending, they dig entrenchments. When they are attacking, they are repairing track.

Post #: 7
RE: RRCBs "leaking" from Locked HQs - 4/25/2011 5:01:30 AM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marquo
I think that what is happening is that the RR construciton brigades are hijacked to repair the RRs....

That's fine, in fact, that's how it should be, but when they finish they should go back where they came from.

(in reply to Marquo)
Post #: 8
RE: RRCBs "leaking" from Locked HQs - 4/25/2011 5:18:19 AM   
Harovan

I have even mundane construction battalions out of my armies hijacked by the front HQ to repair railroads, and of course not returned afterwards.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 9
RE: RRCBs "leaking" from Locked HQs - 4/25/2011 6:32:20 AM   
Joel Billings

According to 7.6.3.3 they should not move if the HQ is locked, otherwise they will migrate. Are you seeing them move out of locked HQ's when they are going to repair rails? I would have assumed they would return to the HQ they came from first, and then if the HQ was locked they should remain with the HQ according to the manual.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 10
RE: RRCBs "leaking" from Locked HQs - 4/25/2011 7:46:28 AM   
Harovan

All my HQs are locked, and have been since many turns. My army HQs have 3 construction battalions, and all my front HQs 2 RR construction brigades. Within the last ~5 turns of my PBEM, 5 construction battalions moved out of their armies, did rail repair. 3 of them returned to the front HQ, 1 to STAVKA (army wasn't attached to a front) and 1 from that STAVKA army is still on the loose.

I have kept all savegames received and all savegames sent, if you want to look into it.

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 11
RE: RRCBs "leaking" from Locked HQs - 4/25/2011 8:02:57 AM   
Mehring

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

According to 7.6.3.3 they should not move if the HQ is locked, otherwise they will migrate. Are you seeing them move out of locked HQ's when they are going to repair rails? I would have assumed they would return to the HQ they came from first, and then if the HQ was locked they should remain with the HQ according to the manual.

No need to assume anything, for a third time-

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2736170&mpage=1&key=?

“The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.”
¯ Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 12
RE: RRCBs "leaking" from Locked HQs - 4/25/2011 12:14:48 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

After repairing rail, some of them seem to be going back to the armies where they came from, but others go to the front, even though all of my armies and fronts are locked. IIRC, once they are out repairing rails, they are no longer listed in the army's SU list.

Post #: 13
RE: RRCBs "leaking" from Locked HQs - 4/25/2011 4:13:44 PM   
Sabre21

I'm putting this in the Bug section of the Tester forum so that it gets noticed. RR Su's in locked hq's should be going back to the original Hq.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 14
RE: RRCBs "leaking" from Locked HQs - 4/25/2011 5:38:25 PM   
Harovan

And if possible, normal construction battalions too.

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 15
RE: RRCBs "leaking" from Locked HQs - 4/25/2011 5:59:37 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harovan

LOL!

Now I'm on the attack so from what I'm reading the RR guys -now repairing rail hexes- will go back to the Front HQ? I noticed this: when you click on their Army HQ they are highlighted. But when you look at their counter you can see they belong to x Front, instead of x Army.

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 4/25/2011 6:00:10 PM >

"Hang on, is that it...? Are we on the ring...?? Ready???" -- Nürburgring Seven Second Ring King

(in reply to Harovan)
Post #: 16
RE: RRCBs "leaking" from Locked HQs - 4/25/2011 7:44:52 PM   
Sabre21

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harovan

Yep..i added that when I posted on the tester forum.

(in reply to Harovan)
Post #: 17
RE: RRCBs "leaking" from Locked HQs - 4/25/2011 7:53:04 PM   
76mm

The funny thing is that I'm pretty sure that some of the RRCBs went back to the armies, but others to the front. Not sure why...

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 18
RE: RRCBs "leaking" from Locked HQs - 4/26/2011 8:36:24 PM   
Joel Billings

Can I get a save for this situation where the support moves. Gary looked at it but without a save it's hard to figure why they are leaving the locked HQ. Please send it to 2by3@2by3games.com or attach it here. We need a save before the logistics phase where they are migrating. thanks.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 19
RE: RRCBs "leaking" from Locked HQs - 4/27/2011 9:32:21 AM   
Harovan

I will track down, which turn they left, and send the before+after saves by mail after I get home from work.

Post #: 20
RE: RRCBs "leaking" from Locked HQs - 4/27/2011 11:13:41 AM   
76mm

I've noticed this in a server PBEM game, so can't send any saves, but I'm also currently playing a GC vs the AI and will send a save when it occurs in that game.

(in reply to Harovan)
Post #: 21
RE: RRCBs "leaking" from Locked HQs - 4/27/2011 7:41:53 PM   
Harovan

Email sent

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 22
RE: RRCBs "leaking" from Locked HQs - 4/27/2011 7:54:13 PM   
Joel Billings

got them, thanks, sent them on to Gary

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Harovan)
Post #: 23
RE: RRCBs "leaking" from Locked HQs - 5/3/2011 6:42:25 AM   
Joel Billings

No luck so far. The saves sent didn't repeat the problem, and Gary's looking at the code didn't give him any clue on why the units are leaking out of the locked HQ's. If someone has a save where the unit will switch HQ's every time the save is loaded and run, please send it and tell us the unit ID number of the unit that is switching (the number in parenthesis on the unit detail screen). If we get that, Gary would have an excellent chance of figuring this out. If not, it's going to be a shot in the dark.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

Post #: 24
RE: RRCBs "leaking" from Locked HQs - 5/3/2011 7:59:07 AM   
76mm

I've got an AI GC game where this is going on, and was just looking at the leaked RRCBs this morning.

Let me go back a few turns and see if I can show you the problem. I'm having various e-mail/computer problems but will try to do so by the end of the week.

Post #: 25
RE: RRCBs "leaking" from Locked HQs - 5/3/2011 8:42:18 PM   
76mm

Three files sent, showing before, during, and after leakage...

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 26
RE: RRCBs "leaking" from Locked HQs - 4/18/2012 5:38:33 PM   
schmolywar

Has this been solved in the patches? Im experiencing same problems now.

"The Russian advance over this hastily improvised road, constructed with the aid of the most primitive facilities, was, for a time,accompanied by the strains of band music.".

-Peculiarities of russian warfare

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 27
RE: RRCBs "leaking" from Locked HQs - 4/18/2012 7:03:17 PM   
elmo3

I'm guessing no. Do you have a save right before it happens? Please zip and post it here if you do.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.

WitE Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to schmolywar)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support >> RRCBs "leaking" from Locked HQs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI