Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: NATO Counters (Manual Process)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> RE: NATO Counters (Manual Process) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NATO Counters (Manual Process) - 2/13/2013 9:06:45 PM   
all5n

so does the unit size designation actually change as you add more troops to each formation? What are the rules for the size to be shown?

I am amazed that the engine would allow for different graphics based on the number/size of units within the formation.

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 31
RE: NATO Counters (Manual Process) - 2/13/2013 9:38:40 PM   
Webizen

There is no engine logic that assigns the unit size. They are simply static graphic files. I made some basic assumptions: 1) all rifle units are, by the ATG engine, labeled as divisions so I put the division symbol on them. Same for armor. In fact, ATG labels all land units as a division (except HQs). 2) Armored cars I put the battalion symbol on as that is the way they are most used, based on my experience (few in number). I call them armored recon groups. 3) I put the brigade symbol on AT guns as that just seemed appropriate to me. Note that if you have mixed unit types, usually the greater number decides the unit type symbol applied. Usually that works out well. I did not put a size designation on MGs, motars or bazookas as they are normally just a standard part of an infantry division.

If you have a division with few troops, it is simply an understrength division. If you have a unit (division, battalion or brigade) with lots of troops/tanks, etc., it simply is an over-strength unit.

In my games I've started to rename each non-infantry unit that I create (i.e. 27th Armor, 15th Armored Recon, 8th Anti-Tank, 44th Anti-Air, etc.). The infantry divisions I just leave as is. To some this isn't important but I think it adds some additional polish to the game.

quote:

ORIGINAL: all5n

so does the unit size designation actually change as you add more troops to each formation? What are the rules for the size to be shown?

I am amazed that the engine would allow for different graphics based on the number/size of units within the formation.

< Message edited by Webizen -- 2/14/2013 7:32:21 PM >

Tac2i

(in reply to all5n)
Post #: 32
RE: NATO Counters (Manual Process) - 2/14/2013 6:44:44 PM   
barerabbit

I am interested in being able to identify a given unit by looking at the map (instead of cycling through all of them one at a time). An example might be "Where are those 3 horse mobile units I know I have around here somewhere, or the 113 inf div that has a lot of special forces in it, where is that guy". The power points change, and the graphic selection changes based on the SF mix (using some formula that I don't understand), so the unit may change appearance from one turn to the next. Do you know of any way to sense, suppress, or override this powerpoint and graphic selection behavior by the ATG engine? If any of these things could be done, now or in a future version, then you could have the engine select a specific graphic for flagged units that identified them on the game map as special in some way. To put it another way, it would be helpful if I could tell the game to represent THIS UNIT with a horse symbol, regardless of it's SF makeup. I am not supposing that your graphic mod is the right vehicle for something like this, but since you have been working in this area, I thought you might have an idea or comment.

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 33
RE: NATO Counters (Manual Process) - 2/14/2013 8:36:33 PM   
ernieschwitz

I don´t think that is possible with the current way the game is run. BUT i think it is an excellent suggestion for Vic to come up with something that could lock a symbol to a unit....

(in reply to barerabbit)
Post #: 34
RE: NATO Counters (Manual Process) - 2/14/2013 9:56:56 PM   
barerabbit

I expected that that would be the case. Thanks for the response. Maybe I should move the post over to the new feature wishlist thread. I bet there is a slick way to do that, but I don't know it.

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 35
RE: NATO Counters (Manual Process) - 2/17/2013 8:36:11 PM   
Webizen

I concur with ernieschwitz. Don't think it is currently possible to do.

Tac2i

(in reply to barerabbit)
Post #: 36
RE: NATO Counters (Multiplayer) - 3/26/2013 3:46:18 PM   
Webizen

error in posting... deleted

< Message edited by Webizen -- 3/26/2013 3:48:14 PM >

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 37
RE: NATO Counters (Solitaire/Multiplayer) - 8/24/2013 4:54:14 PM   
Webizen

I've created a new defaultmod.txt file that works well with this mod (simply replace your existing one in the root folder of ATG with the attached). See screenshot in next post. Note that the 'New Random (enhanced)' button will not work unless you have Lancer's Enhanced Mod Suite installed and rename his at2 file to 'enhanced.at2'.

Note that this new defaultmod.txt file will work equally well with standard ATG. NATO counters are not required. Also note that it is independent of any particular version of ATG, at least since v2.14.

Caveats:

1) Don't use this new defaultmod.txt file with my NATO Counters Mod for Random Games as it uses it's own special file.
2) If you already have a modified default main screen via some other mod, using my file will overwrite those changes.
3) The "Download NATO Counters" button links to this thread re the NATO Counters (Solitare/Multiplayer) Mod.
4. Installing a new patch from Matrix Games will reset the default main screen.

See this post for additional options: Modified Main Screens.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Webizen -- 8/30/2013 5:54:12 PM >

Tac2i

(in reply to all5n)
Post #: 38
RE: NATO Counters (Solitaire/Multiplayer) - 8/24/2013 4:55:41 PM   
Webizen

Screenshot for above post...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Webizen -- 8/27/2013 11:18:52 PM >

Tac2i

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 39
RE: NATO Counters (Solitaire/Multiplayer) - 9/13/2013 2:30:03 AM   
Webizen

Here is a little bonus which I'll incorporate later in my NATO Counters Mods. This is a set of small counters that are used in "zoom out" mode. I don't normally much use this mode because the counters are not very readable. After recently doing a short AAR using screenshots from this view, I decided to do something about the readability. I didn't touch them all but I reworked most of them. Note: Users of my 'NATO Counters Mod for Random Games' visit that post to get the install file. For others, note that many of these counters are NATO and some are just symbols I made up. The primary goal was, when in 'zoom out' mode, that you can easily recognize what type of unit you are looking at: not an easy task with these small counters.

Download: at2SMALL.atzip (Edit: more tweaks 9/16/13)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Webizen -- 9/16/2013 1:21:45 PM >

Tac2i

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 40
RE: NATO Counters (Manual Process) - 2/22/2014 1:39:01 AM   
Webizen

Minor refresh to unit size mod, mostly to the small unit counters used in zoomed out mode. See top post for download link.

Tac2i

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 41
RE: NATO Counters (Solitaire/Multiplayer) - 2/27/2014 12:49:16 AM   
lion_of_judah

what does this overide? how hard is this to make brigade and infantry symbols for units that look good? I'm thinking of doing this and making infantry units that are only for brigade and bltn counters.

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 42
RE: NATO Counters (Solitaire/Multiplayer) - 2/27/2014 3:24:48 PM   
Webizen

This particular mod overwrites your standard unit counters. There is mod to put the standard counters back also. I used Paint.NET to make these counters. Feel free to improve on them.

Tac2i

(in reply to lion_of_judah)
Post #: 43
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> RE: NATO Counters (Manual Process) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI