NATO Counters (Solitaire/Multiplayer)

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

Tac2i

NATO Counters (Solitaire/Multiplayer)

Post by Tac2i »

Note July 10, 2022: The current AT Phoenix Version Open Beta v2.40.032, when finalized, renders this mod unnecessary. It has a NATO counters option on the game settings screen.
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 5&t=384305

Advanced Tactics Gold (standard)
NATO Counters - Solitaire/Multiplayer (last updated August 1, 2015) (this mod still valid for 2.28b 12/05/20 and probably later versions)

NOTE: With Vic's latest patch (v2.21g) your units (not the AI) gain NATO counters with a button to switch between them and the regular silhouette counters (once you apply a TO&E template to them). With this new version, the only reason to use one of the below NATO counter mods is to give the AI NATO counters or you want NATO symbols in the Standard and Alt Graphic game types as well. Note that if you use one of my NATO mods you will not have silhouette counters for your units and neither will the AI. In other words, if you use my mod then it is NATO counters for you and the AI with no silhouette counters. There is a mod to put the silhouette counters back if you change your mind after installing.
If you like to use NATO military counters in your ATG random games (solitaire and/or multiplayer) but some of your multiplayer opponents do not, this mod is for you. The best thing about the Solitaire/Multiplayer mod is that it does not require an update with each new ATG patch (unless the patch resets the regular counters). If you decide you want to use the standard unit counters again, there is also a mod to put them back. You can easily switch between them in a matter of seconds. As mentioned, v2.21g gives you a button to do this without a mod, at least for your own units.

NOTE: my NATO mods have no effect on any other mod that uses its own set of custom unit counters (for example Ormand's Graphics Mod and Bombur's mods).

Install File Method (any ATG version) (use install/zip file button):

Turn regular counters into NATO counters (right click download link):
regTOnato (minor refresh 6/02/15) (overwrites your regular unit counters) - use this one if you want the AI to use NATO counters)

Turn NATO counters back into regular counters (right click download link)
natoTOreg (puts the regular silhouette unit counters back)

The above NATO mods have no affect on other players other than if you share screenshots, they will show NATO counters. Use the ATG "install zip/file" button to install. I'd recommend you keep both files available for use.

Note 1: If you have customized regular counters, then you should back them up first before changing them.

Note 2: Even with this mod, to have large NATO counters in "Zoomed In" mode as depicted below requires a change to the generic.at2/generic2.at2/anewdawn.at2/anewdawn2/3.at2 files. If you are comfortable with the editor it is Setng->RuleVars->Engine Graphics->871 -> change value to 0 and save. This will give you large and standard size NATO counters. (instructions)

---------------------- Note 2 Instructions ------------------------
Editor: load at2 file using Load Scenario button, press Edit.

steps 1 - 6 (step 1 is click on setng button/step 5 is change value of rulvar 871 from 1 to 0)

step 6a

step 7
-----------------------

These changes will only affect new games. They will have no affect on saved games before the change was made.

Note 3: When you install a new ATG update from Matrix Games, it will very likely reset the regular counters. If so you'll need to reinstall the NATO Mod. You may also need to reset RuleVar 871 to 0 again in the all the random game at2 files.

Note 4: The NATO counters used by the new TO&E template feature are located in a different folder than the counters provided by this mod. Those NATO counters were based on this set but there may be some minor differences and/or additions.

Attachments
NATO12.jpg
NATO12.jpg (84.74 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
Last edited by Tac2i on Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:40 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
stone10

RE: My NATO Counters for ATG

Post by stone10 »

[&:]No download available?
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

It is not Friday or Saturday yet.
ORIGINAL: Webizen

I hope by this Friday or Saturday to edit this post with a link to my NATO counters.
ORIGINAL: stone10

[&:]No download available?
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

nice job....
Stardog

Post by Stardog »

WebZ

Them is some sweet counters Bro!!!

Nice work!

SD
Diplomacy without arms is like music without instruments.

Frederick the Great
parusski

Post by parusski »

I love the look and want these counters.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
lecrop

Post by lecrop »

Nice!
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

[deleted - see top post for latest information]
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

[deleted] content overtaken by improvements
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

[deleted... see top post for latest information]
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
EricSilver_MatrixForum

Post by EricSilver_MatrixForum »

Thank you very much for the effort.

;)
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

As I mentioned in my edited post at the top, I'm working on a method that will not involve copying over existing files and will give the gamer the option at game start up to choose standard game play or game play with NATO counters. This will result in a zip file that you can use the "Install File/Zip" button to install. No manual intervention required. Not sure when I'll have it ready.

Attachments
autonato.jpg
autonato.jpg (23.35 KiB) Viewed 1395 times
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
jjdenver

Post by jjdenver »

Hi - I installed the mod. It works fine for a random scenario - however when I try to load the "\Advanced Tactics Gold\atgoldscenarios\NEW_WAW_PUBLIC_BETA" East Front 1941 scenario it still uses the old non-nato counters (really why the heck did Vic not build in a NATO counter option? It's amazing he didn't).

Any idea how to change counters for this scenario?

Thx
AARS:
CEAW-BJR Mod 2009:
tm.asp?m=2101447
AT-WW1:
tm.asp?m=1705427
AT-GPW:
tm.asp?m=1649732
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Custom scenarios can and often do include their own unit counter sets, and even if that counter set is the default one it must be pulling it from another location (likely within the systemgraphics folder). If so, probably with some additional overwriting in another folder or two, it might be accomplished. I'll look into it.

On another note, I'll probably published my auto install NATO counters mod later today in the Mod and Scenarios forum. This mod does not involve overwriting existing files and will give you the option at game startup to use the default counters or the NATO counters.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Tac2i

RE: NATO Counters (Manual Process)

Post by Tac2i »

[screenshot replaced by new one... see top post.]
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Tac2i

RE: NATO Counters (Manual Process)

Post by Tac2i »

** deleted - obsolete **
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
lecrop