Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & Shot
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Whiskey in the Jar

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Whiskey in the Jar Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Whiskey in the Jar - 1/28/2012 1:31:17 PM   
dennishe

Japanese deliberate attack. Assault odds 1 - 6

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 211
RE: Whiskey in the Jar - 1/28/2012 4:13:44 PM   
Crackaces

No small victory to take out an AO in my opinion .. the single ship type in the IJN inventory that controlls offensive operational pace IMHO ..

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 212
RE: Whiskey in the Jar - 2/1/2012 7:41:30 PM   
dennishe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

No small victory to take out an AO in my opinion .. the single ship type in the IJN inventory that controlls offensive operational pace IMHO ..

You are right. Sinking Japanese AOs is significant. But calling it a large victory goes a bit far...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 213
RE: Whiskey in the Jar - 2/4/2012 4:09:28 PM   
dennishe

the Helldivers score some more hits

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 214
RE: Whiskey in the Jar - 2/4/2012 4:11:05 PM   
dennishe

Advantage of the operation "Whiskey in the Jar" is that KB is fully committed to the Noumea area (i.e. it cannot go somewhere else to counter other offensives or support Japanese invasions). If it leaves the Japs at Noumea are in trouble

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 215
RE: Whiskey in the Jar - 2/4/2012 4:17:28 PM   
dennishe

And with KB being fully committed to Noumea and with the Japanese Air Force being weak in the Marshals (hopefully), it is time for operation paint it black

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 216
RE: Whiskey in the Jar - 2/5/2012 12:00:38 AM   
dennishe

Very very smoothly

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 217
RE: Whiskey in the Jar - 2/5/2012 9:57:29 PM   
dennishe

This continues from a Naval battle from a while back. Things have been quiet around Port Moresby

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 218
RE: Whiskey in the Jar - 2/6/2012 9:55:52 PM   
dennishe

Damn the carriers. This war is fought with battleships!!!!!!!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 219
RE: Whiskey in the Jar - 2/9/2012 10:02:04 PM   
dennishe

The battle for the Coral Sea continues...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 220
RE: Whiskey in the Jar - 2/11/2012 4:30:35 PM   
dennishe

The battle for control of the Coral Sea continues...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 221
RE: Whiskey in the Jar - 2/12/2012 1:57:16 PM   
dennishe

The **** has hit the fan once more.

In a carrier battle the Japanese miniKB(?) launched from far and hit the US carriers with light bombs. The US Navy could due to range not strike back. All three remaining CVs can do 20+ knots but with their flightdecks damaged may not be capable to defend from another attack by miniKB. One of the CV F4F-4 squadrons has been diverted to Johnston island and from their will provide long range cap over the US carreirs.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 222
RE: Whiskey in the Jar - 2/12/2012 10:05:39 PM   
dennishe

A lot of system damage and very little major damage. Speed of the CVs has still been great and they managed to stay out of the reach of the Japanese bombers. Apparently, there are some CVEs in the taskforce, or they headed for a wrong direction, perhaps not realizing that the US carriers could still do 20 knots. Anyways, the CVs will be within fighter cap of Pearl Harbor by tomorrow. Hopefully repairs won't take to long. In the summer the first Essex CVs arrive. Together with the Saratoga, Hornet and Enterprise I will have a mighty carrier fleet that finally can match KB. As long as submarines don't sink them prior to the battle...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 223
RE: Whiskey in the Jar - 2/16/2012 10:35:42 PM   
dennishe

7 more days and than I will have (more) reliable USN torpedoes...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 224
RE: Whiskey in the Jar - 2/16/2012 10:37:36 PM   
dennishe

Resupplying Karachi goes pretty smoothly. Half of the triggered reinforcements have already made it to Karachi.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 225
RE: Whiskey in the Jar - 2/18/2012 11:21:40 AM   
dennishe

It will be difficult for the USAFFE to hold out till even the New Year. But the Japanese troops also lost all their fighting power and cannot immediately be put into another battle shortly. Wainwright and his men have done a great job...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 226
RE: Whiskey in the Jar - 2/21/2012 7:55:46 PM   
dennishe

1942 is over and we are entering 1943. A good opportunity to highlight the current advances of the Japanese troops. In yellow are given the current front. In red are the maximum advances that the Japanese troops made and where they have been pushed back again. Also note that at Bataan peninsula (USAFFE) and at La Foa (US I Corps) several US Army troops are still stuck behind enemy lines.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 227
RE: Whiskey in the Jar - 2/25/2012 9:44:56 PM   
dennishe

Bataan fell on January 6th 1943.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 228
RE: Whiskey in the Jar - 2/26/2012 1:08:40 PM   
dennishe

The Chinese front is collapsing. It will be easy for the communists to take over after the Japanese troops are gone...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 229
RE: Whiskey in the Jar - 2/26/2012 9:30:49 PM   
dennishe

La Foa = problem

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 230
RE: Whiskey in the Jar - 2/26/2012 9:34:52 PM   
dennishe

The one thing better than sinking enemy ships is sinking enemy ships that are filled with enemy troops

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 231
RE: Whiskey in the Jar - 3/2/2012 9:05:03 PM   
dennishe

In the "paint it black" operations, slowly the US Navy takes control over the Marshall Islands

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 232
The other side of the hill- Hunting the Bear - 3/5/2012 11:05:23 AM   
njp72

Hi all

After lurking in the shadows I thought I would make a brief contribution to Dennishe’s fantastic AAR as his direct opponent. Those who follow this AAR would have a good understanding of the ferocity and intensity of the combat over the last 12 months of game play. With the game about to take a new and exciting direction (most likely fatal for the Japanese) I thought it timely to make a small contribution. Finally my thanks to my wonderful and skilled opponent Dennishe who is a true gentleman in every sense of the word.

Introduction
Ussuri River: 0630 hrs 27th January 1943 (Part 1)
Major Yamaguchi OC 36th Rifle Company, 9th Infantry Division rubbed his bleary eyes in the bitter cold and scanned his surroundings. The euphoria of the last 3 days was now beginning to wear off as the infantry struggled in the deep snow after they crossed the LD. Somewhere out there in the murky mists of freezing Manchuria and on the Mongolian border approximately 500,000 Japanese, elements of 20 Infantry Divisions and supporting arms struggled through the winter to commence the offensive to end the Soviet Empire. After months of preparation Ko Ame (Winter Rain) had finally been launched but already the timetable was slipping. He heard from a colleague at Divisional Headquarters that the armour was already floundering across the Ussuri River, with the ice not of sufficient strength to support their weight. An impressive mess but not unexpected when you launch an offensive in Winter in Manchuria he pondered. Still the numbers involved were impressive. Aside from the largely untouched Kwantung Army there were veteran divisions from the 25th and 17th Armies who had largely only known victories since the start of hostilities. The addition of the Imperial Guards division after its successful conquest of Bataan was also warmly welcomed. Still trying to coordinate hundreds of thousands of men through this terrain was near to impossible task. I hope Ivan is asleep because otherwise this could be the shortest offensive in the history of warfare.

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 233
RE: The other side of the hill- Hunting the Bear (part 2) - 3/5/2012 11:10:36 AM   
njp72

Clearly Ivan is not asleep or I wouldn't be writing this but let's see what happens over the next month.

Tokyo: 1000 hrs 27th January 1943 (Part 2)
Tojo studied the map one last time. So after months of stockpiling supplies and planning they have departed the line of departure and it will only be a matter of days before they are in contact with Soviet outposts. A horrific gamble but what part of the war up to now hadn’t been. The failed invasion of India and link up with the Germans in the Middle East still pained him. So close but the introduction of those Australian divisions proved to be the final straw. Sugiyama the fool should have known their location before that final offensive.

Nevertheless the war up to this point had not been going too badly. The Chinese had been crushed and the British and Indians had taken a terrible beating. Even the Americans were presently weak thanks to a couple of lucky placed torpedoes by his IJN colleagues, not that he would publically admit to that. The current American offensive in the Marshalls was a concern but the recent carrier victory in December (the loss of another 3 US carriers though he doubted that) still indicated they were not a significant threat to Japan. The poorly planned amphibious operations at Tarawa and Wake which shattered 2 IJA Divisions were a clear indication that this was not a strong point of the Japan. No more amphib operations ever after that debacle.

And then in September word had come from the Germans of a highly placed Ukrainian defector detailing Stalin’s planned ambitions for Manchuria. He was incoherent with rage that Japan had been duped into a pact of non aggression with a man of no honour. He understood at that moment that the fate of Japan was now linked to that of Germany’s and after that there really was no choice. No more foolish adventures in the Pacific, India or Burma now was the time to settle old scores with the traditional enemy though the recent news out of Stalingrad was not good.

No maps gents as we are on the move- I will hand it back to Dennishe.

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 234
RE: The other side of the hill- Hunting the Bear (part 2) - 3/7/2012 10:32:47 PM   
dennishe

I have seen troops moving to Port Arthur for weeks now in the intelligence report. Since it wat simultaneously with a Japanese offensive in Southern China I expected a large scale attack in northern China, focussed at Chungking. Russia will be very very interesting. First an update on the air battles over New Guinea. Very bloody as always...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 235
RE: The other side of the hill- Hunting the Bear (part 2) - 3/7/2012 10:39:04 PM   
dennishe

Japanese warships are active again...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 236
RE: The other side of the hill- Hunting the Bear (part 2) - 3/10/2012 1:36:00 PM   
dennishe

Assuming that Japan continues their operation against the Soviet Union...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 237
Russians at war - 3/11/2012 1:17:18 PM   
dennishe

Japanese pulled the Soviets into the war...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by dennishe -- 3/11/2012 1:19:21 PM >

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 238
RE: Russians at war - 3/12/2012 11:58:34 PM   
dennishe

Apparently the IJN expects an Allied invasion in the Marshall Islands. I can't blame them for that .
I don't think the carriers will attack. The successful strike on the Japanese transports have illustrated that the Avengers carry armed torpedoes. Although I would love to see one of those flattops getting too close...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 239
RE: Russians at war - 3/13/2012 12:00:18 AM   
dennishe

The Soviet - Japanese war is a very bloody one. Not so much at sea. And also on land the Japanese for now are still pinned down at the border fortresses. But in the Air both sides, but especially the Soviets, are containing heavy losses.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Whiskey in the Jar Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI