Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Thunderstruck!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Thunderstruck!!! Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Thunderstruck!!! - 12/25/2011 9:42:47 PM   
dennishe

For the ones interested you can now also download this story as a pdf file. This reads easier. You can download the different chapters below via my dropbox. It may take a while for some of these to load. Enjoy,

Chapter 1: Suprise attack on Pearl Harbor

Chapter 2: Invasion of the Philippines

Chapter 3: The battle for Singapore

Chapter 4: Invasion of the Dutch East Indies

Chapter 5: The fall of Hong Kong

Chapter 6: Early Central Pacific Operations

Chapter 7: The Battle for Australia

Chapter 8: The Second Sino - Japanese War

Chapter 9: The Battle for India

Chapter 10: New Zealanders at War

Chapter 11: The Southwest Pacific Theatre

Chapter 12: The Burma Campaign

Chapter 13: Operation "Thunderstruck"

Chapter 14: The Central Pacific, back on the defensive

< Message edited by dennishe -- 12/25/2011 10:14:15 PM >

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 151
RE: Thunderstruck!!! - 12/26/2011 11:56:03 AM   
dennishe

India is mine again

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 152
Start of the Strategic Bombing Campaign in the Pacific - 12/26/2011 12:50:43 PM   
dennishe

The VII Bomber Command is now located at T. and 4 (more in the future?) B24D squadrons are flying from the airbase bombarding several targets in the Marshall Islands. For now a ground attack on Jaluit and a port attack on Kwajalein have been carried out.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 153
RE: Start of the Strategic Bombing Campaign in the Pacific - 12/26/2011 9:03:43 PM   
dennishe

The boys had to walk for quite a bit but now it is time for them to kick Japanese ass

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 154
RE: Start of the Strategic Bombing Campaign in the Pacific - 12/26/2011 9:13:57 PM   
Crackaces

Both of our games are following similar strategies .. you are much further along and I follow this thread with much anticipation

I am also developng Tabiteueua and I am currently stationing the 7th USAAF to project power into the Southern Marshall's as you ahve successful demonstrated . .. the other front of interest is how you are maintaining supply into Northern Oz. I am folowing Ksfgo's advice here ..but I think the beta has different supply behavior now that is quite unexpected to the veteran JFB ...

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 155
RE: Start of the Strategic Bombing Campaign in the Pacific - 12/26/2011 9:29:16 PM   
dennishe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

Both of our games are following similar strategies .. you are much further along and I follow this thread with much anticipation

I am also developng Tabiteueua and I am currently stationing the 7th USAAF to project power into the Southern Marshall's as you ahve successful demonstrated . .. the other front of interest is how you are maintaining supply into Northern Oz. I am folowing Ksfgo's advice here ..but I think the beta has different supply behavior now that is quite unexpected to the veteran JFB ...

This is an open AAR, which means that my opponent is also allowed to take a look. I therefore cannot tell you here how I'm supplying northern OZ. If you are really interested I can send you a PM. I'm not sure though how the beta handles supplies in northern OZ compared to vanilla WITPAE. I do think that Tabiteuea is a key base if build up and I will always try to take it and reinforce it in an early stage in the war.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 156
RE: Start of the Strategic Bombing Campaign in the Pacific - 12/27/2011 11:38:20 PM   
dennishe

Slowly the heavy bombers are put to work. 4 squadrons of B24Ds are daily bombarding Japanese positions in the Marshalls and 4 squadrons of B17Es are daily bombarding Noumea.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 157
RE: Start of the Strategic Bombing Campaign in the Pacific - 12/28/2011 11:35:28 AM   
dennishe

For some reason either my naval commanders are total cowards and are the first ones to jump off a burning ship, or for some reasons naval captains are no longer being removed from the game after their ship sinks. RADM Shafroth should have went down with his ship, the CA Houston and indeed is no longer aboard any of the ships that still remain in the task force. However, one can still pick him from the list of commanders to command a new TF. I had the same thing with VADM Philips, whose ship the BB Repulse sank while he was on it. Do naval commanders still die in beta?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 158
RE: Start of the Strategic Bombing Campaign in the Pacific - 12/29/2011 12:41:03 PM   
dennishe

I was holding back some updates as I didn't want to give my opponent (who is allowed to read this AAR) any information what to expect at Wake Island. Since the battle has commenced there is no reason not to post anymore

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 159
RE: Start of the Strategic Bombing Campaign in the Pacific - 12/29/2011 12:42:53 PM   
dennishe

With a 6000 stacking limit there is no place for base forces, thus AV Wright was used to maintain the Catalinas and Wildcats at the base. Since the presence of KB has been established and the few F4F-3s cannot do anything anyways it was time for AV-1 to leave

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 160
RE: Start of the Strategic Bombing Campaign in the Pacific - 12/29/2011 12:44:31 PM   
dennishe

Casualties were severe after the amphibious assault, but the Japanese brought sufficient troops that we for sure cannot call it an Allied victory yet.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 161
RE: Start of the Strategic Bombing Campaign in the Pacific - 12/30/2011 12:35:43 AM   
dennishe

Another day of the Wake Island Massacre.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 162
RE: Start of the Strategic Bombing Campaign in the Pacific - 12/31/2011 11:47:36 AM   
dennishe

I ordered the Marine Regiment at Wake to do a shock attack, but it wasn't necessary. The Japanese troops left

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 163
RE: Start of the Strategic Bombing Campaign in the Pacific - 12/31/2011 5:41:40 PM   
dennishe

Although the Japanese Army was defeated in India, the war is by far not over

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 164
RE: Start of the Strategic Bombing Campaign in the Pacific - 12/31/2011 10:43:08 PM   
dennishe

I will have to reevaluate resupply of northern OZ

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 165
Activation of British reinforcements after Japanese lan... - 1/1/2012 12:02:24 AM   
dennishe

This is an update that is not related to the actual story, but probably interesting for a lot of the readers out here. Previously I read that capture of Socotra by Japanese units did not activate British emergency reinforcements (see for example:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2616532&mpage=1&key=Emergency%2CReenforcements%3F).
In our present game the Japanese troops have opened Pandoras box by landing at Socotra. While they don't have taken it the British Reinforcements arrived at Aden, Adaban and Karachi. Now I'm wondering what determines activation of reinforcements. Both on the British as well on the American side. There seems to be something arbitrary going on...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by dennishe -- 1/1/2012 12:04:00 AM >

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 166
RE: Activation of British reinforcements after Japanese... - 1/1/2012 12:22:17 AM   
Crackaces

It seems that "Winnie boy" has drawn the line at Socotra .. "They can take Colombo but I have had enough of this I say! Hitler can wait now they have advanced to Socotra!"

What does the IJ have to say about this? I bet he is deeply sorry for stirring up that hornets nest ..

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 167
RE: Activation of British reinforcements after Japanese... - 1/1/2012 12:36:28 AM   
dennishe

quote:

It seems that "Winnie boy" has drawn the line at Socotra .. "They can take Colombo but I have had enough of this I say! Hitler can wait now they have advanced to Socotra!"

What does the IJ have to say about this? I bet he is deeply sorry for stirring up that hornets nest ..

The IJ says: "It was a calculated risk" and I'm free to use the troops where I want. I promised not to attack Socotra directly from Aden and give the Japanese garrison a fighting chance to intercept an invasion fleet.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 168
RE: Activation of British reinforcements after Japanese... - 1/1/2012 1:36:36 AM   
dennishe

quote:

Thanks to Crackaces for saving the story line

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 169
RE: Activation of British reinforcements after Japanese... - 1/1/2012 2:08:26 AM   
witpqs

The technical answer is that it was changed in a Beta. Don't recall which one.

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 170
RE: Activation of British reinforcements after Japanese... - 1/3/2012 10:46:52 PM   
dennishe

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

The technical answer is that it was changed in a Beta. Don't recall which one.

That explains it. Well Karachi has been put under a siege and consequently the newly acquired troops cannot be transported to India as long as the Suez canal is closed. After that it will be easier to break through the blokkade. We'll see.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 171
RE: Start of the Strategic Bombing Campaign in the Pacific - 1/4/2012 4:01:27 AM   
bigred

quote:

ORIGINAL: dennishe

For some reason either my naval commanders are total cowards and are the first ones to jump off a burning ship, or for some reasons naval captains are no longer being removed from the game after their ship sinks. RADM Shafroth should have went down with his ship, the CA Houston and indeed is no longer aboard any of the ships that still remain in the task force. However, one can still pick him from the list of commanders to command a new TF. I had the same thing with VADM Philips, whose ship the BB Repulse sank while he was on it. Do naval commanders still die in beta?

I now have two Spuence commanders, lost 5 fleet carriers.

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 172
RE: Start of the Strategic Bombing Campaign in the Pacific - 1/5/2012 9:45:07 PM   
dennishe

Another series of naval battles at Horn Island. The most direct passage to liberate the USAFFE at the Philippines (yes they are still holding on bravely) leads trough the Gulf of Carpentaria to Kupang. Hence this is an important battlefield

Attachment (1)

(in reply to bigred)
Post #: 173
RE: Start of the Strategic Bombing Campaign in the Pacific - 1/7/2012 1:13:19 PM   
dennishe

Again our navies clashed in what must have been the sixth or seventh battle at Horn Island. I lost count

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 174
RE: Start of the Strategic Bombing Campaign in the Pacific - 1/7/2012 3:50:43 PM   
dennishe

In ww2 carriers replaced the battleships as the main warship at sea and for battleships there was only a role on the sideline. Not in this game! Naval battles are fought daily between BBs, CAs, CLs and DDs of both sides. Here is another battle (or better said execution) at Portland Roads.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 175
RE: Start of the Strategic Bombing Campaign in the Pacific - 1/7/2012 10:47:27 PM   
dennishe

It seems another extremely bloody and long lasting battle is coming up. . I may change the title if I'm totally off with the location for the Japanese assault.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 176
RE: Start of the Strategic Bombing Campaign in the Pacific - 1/8/2012 10:38:28 AM   
dennishe

Any time now...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 177
RE: Start of the Strategic Bombing Campaign in the Pacific - 1/9/2012 9:01:35 PM   
dennishe

Similar as in the encirclement of the USAFFE in the Philippines I'm do not get scared by a blockade. I knew the IJN would attack with its battleships, so I moved in two BBs to protect the convoy and the Albacore I torpedo bombers to strike back. I can't say that this was a total success.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 178
RE: Start of the Strategic Bombing Campaign in the Pacific - 1/9/2012 9:03:50 PM   
dennishe

But the Albacores did kick ass and at least we got the Yamashiro.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 179
Damage report Dec 7 1941 - Oct 15 1941 - 1/11/2012 6:53:31 PM   
dennishe

Already quite a long list illustrating the fierce battles that already have been fought. Exchange rates are between 1 : 2 to 2 : 5 in favor of Japan. The Allies however do get almost unlimited reinforcements and in the long run will be able to keep this up. Also interesting is that by far most ships were sunk in naval battles wherein no carriers were involved. There has been only one carrier battle werein the CVL Zuiho and the CV Wasp were sunk. All other carriers were sunk by submarines

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Thunderstruck!!! Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI