Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!Distant Worlds: Universe gets a new updateDeal of the Week: Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich Advanced Tactics Gold is coming to SteamMatrix Games now speaks German!A little bit of history with To End All WarsBattle Academy 2 gets a release date!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Bombs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Bombs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bombs - 4/16/2011 5:18:11 PM   
treespider

Has anyone tested the effects of tweaking the various bomb device values?

What do the various data points affect?

Accuracy - ?
Penetration - ?
Effect - ?
Anti-Armor - ?
Anti-Soft - ?

I gather "Effect" is used for the determination of damage versus ships and bases, whereas "Anti-Armor" is used against armor devices and "Anti-Soft" is used against troops.

"Accuracy" - is it truly a reflection of accuracy, in that accuracy is part of a function to see if a bomb hits its target, or is the effect of the "Accuracy" value something entirely different?

However in looking at the Device file, it appears that the "Accuracy" values are merely a function of "Effect"...in essence 1/10th.

Bomb Strings - how does a load of bombs actually work? Is each bomb rolled for individually or is the entire string rolled for to determine if there is a hit?

I imagine there are different routines for different targets. For example - one possibility - a string is rolled to hit as a group, then assuming success - depending on target - all or only some the bombs are considered to have actually hit.

Current kernel of a thought in my feeble brain is to create two or more sets of bomb devices - one set for "Level/Strategic Bombers" and one set for "Tactical/Dive Bombers/Ground Support" etc...

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910
Post #: 1
RE: Bombs - 4/16/2011 5:32:47 PM   
topeverest

Despite strong urges to increase the penetration of the 1000 lb SAP and a few others to effect more BB damage, I have not done so for fear of other unintended other effects. Otherwise, no

Andy M

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 2
RE: Bombs - 4/16/2011 5:51:15 PM   
witpqs

Do some Google searches for JWE's comments in various threads on DaBabes. Suggest

site:matrixgames.com +JWE WhateverSerachTermsYouWantHere

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 3
RE: Bombs - 4/16/2011 7:40:39 PM   
treespider

Did some research and as suspected Accuracy is not necessarily Accuracy...now back to some more research...

Here's a link to:

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 4
RE: Bombs - 4/16/2011 8:05:08 PM   
treespider

quote:

ORIGINAL: Osterhaut

Jwe is off in the desert again and running around in camo dress and trying to sell the military his sensers. And his computer is restricted and so a hour cell phone window is all he gets and I asked him about this on the phone and he says he does not want to know nothing about the air program or the air numbers.

I think maybe jwe can get motivated. He is always a niceer person after he gets back from the desert and DOD gives him more money for his toys.

Tell JWE to have no worries...

Here's a link to:

Post #: 5
RE: Bombs - 4/16/2011 9:22:39 PM   
treespider

Did some testing and what I originally had in mind is not going to work...

Thought tweaking Accuracy numbers of bombs would have an effect...and it may...just not in the area I was testing.

Here's a link to:

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 6
RE: Bombs - 4/17/2011 3:23:05 AM   
YankeeAirRat

Treespider,

I think the accuracy here relates to how accurate the weapon it is when it is released by the platform. I would also suggest you start with looking at the numbers as well for the Torps and Rockets as well. See what playing with those numbers lead to the accuracy on those weapons. Just looking at the rest of the rest devices block I would bet the "Accuracy" relates to fire control systems that were typically assoicated with those weapons. So it probably related to the use of Norden, SABS, Blackett Bombsite, "Kentucky Windage" while using one of those gyro gunsights to help aim rockets or glide bombing in the fighters.

Take my word for it. You never want to be involved in an “International Incident”.

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 7
RE: Bombs - 4/17/2011 3:55:27 AM   
treespider

quote:

ORIGINAL: YankeeAirRat

Treespider,

I think the accuracy here relates to how accurate the weapon it is when it is released by the platform. I would also suggest you start with looking at the numbers as well for the Torps and Rockets as well. See what playing with those numbers lead to the accuracy on those weapons. Just looking at the rest of the rest devices block I would bet the "Accuracy" relates to fire control systems that were typically assoicated with those weapons. So it probably related to the use of Norden, SABS, Blackett Bombsite, "Kentucky Windage" while using one of those gyro gunsights to help aim rockets or glide bombing in the fighters.

Well when bombing bases as near as I can determine Accuracy for the bomb device is not used...or at the least is a very very very low leverage item.

Perhaps it makes a difference when attacking ships, on airfield attack Effect rules the roost.

Here's a link to:

(in reply to YankeeAirRat)
Post #: 8
RE: Bombs - 4/17/2011 5:51:06 AM   
YankeeAirRat

I have played other games in this same time period to abstract fire control that way. An aircraft can carry X number of bombs and when it attacks the accuracy of the bomb itself is Y. So in an attack run dice are rolled and if dice is higher then the accuracy rating all the bombs land on the target. If less then the accuracy rating, then take the number of bombs divided by the dice (rounding down to the next whole number) and declare hits that way. So if you don't get the accuracy rating that bomb is a miss. If bombs are salvo'd from a large bomber then you need figure each bomb, from there those that score above accuracy rating are considered hits on the target.

Take my word for it. You never want to be involved in an “International Incident”.

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 9
RE: Bombs - 4/17/2011 1:56:27 PM   
inqistor

Uuu, good idea.
I am guessing, penetration is used during hits on armourded ships. SAP bombs have this, generally, higher.

But, since I have done some testing in ship-attacks, results are so randomly distributed, that it does not seem to be possible to determine effect of accuracy changes in testing.
Maybe against bases, but it should be probably checked in actual damages on enemy side.

(in reply to YankeeAirRat)
Post #: 10
RE: Bombs - 4/17/2011 3:24:39 PM   
treespider

Well the reason I said Accuracy doesn't seem to play a part in bombing bases is based on one set of tests I ran. I used 16 Liberators with bomb Accuracy set at 5, 25 and 1000 and saw no appreciable difference in the amount of damage inflicted with each strike.

However that is not to suggest that Accuracy is not used when DiveBombing or attacking another target class...it is simply stating that Accuracy does not appear to be a factor when targeting a base at 7,000' with Heavy Level Bombers.

< Message edited by treespider -- 4/17/2011 3:25:02 PM >

Here's a link to:

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 11
RE: Bombs - 4/17/2011 8:39:26 PM   
inqistor

quote:

ORIGINAL: treespider

Well the reason I said Accuracy doesn't seem to play a part in bombing bases is based on one set of tests I ran. I used 16 Liberators with bomb Accuracy set at 5, 25 and 1000 and saw no appreciable difference in the amount of damage inflicted with each strike.

However that is not to suggest that Accuracy is not used when DiveBombing or attacking another target class...it is simply stating that Accuracy does not appear to be a factor when targeting a base at 7,000' with Heavy Level Bombers.

Naval guns accuracy seems to be below 100, in most cases. It is possible, that it is percentage, so by using 1000 you could overclock the counter. Try it with 49, and 99, and you probably need at least 25 attacks in test, to get average. What will be hit-ratio, at 1?

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Bombs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI