Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AI Difficulty

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> The War Room >> AI Difficulty Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AI Difficulty - 4/16/2011 12:36:06 AM   
DakaSha

Yes I open a lot of threads.. :P

Anyways: The AI plays pretty good. I'm impressed (still wish it had been upgraded :P ).

However the difference between the default and the '+' setting is huuuuuuuuuuuge. On normal setting the AI is still not a complete pushover but it isnt all to exciting to play against. I prefer the harder setting because i want to feel like things could go wrong at any time. The thing is that on + its like an unbeatable (well to me so far anyways) robot army. I feel under pressure but to be honest I dont see how its even possible to defend against them. Its not like they just get increased production.. They get increased production plus all the other AI bonuses and they just become unstoppable (although im sure a few cracks have no problem against them :P ). I take more time setting up, loading, doing my first turn then it takes for them to make the situation obviously hopeless :P

Is there any hope at all of getting maybe two more intermediate levels? One between normal and plus and maybe one between + and ++? I personally just feel like there should be more gradual increases in difficulty so players can hone in on their skill level.

I feel like a level between normal and plus would be perfect

edit: huh i didnt see the threads below the forum categories. my bad

< Message edited by DakaSha -- 4/16/2011 12:46:37 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: AI Difficulty - 4/16/2011 12:47:42 AM   
Webizen

Good suggestions... +1. Have you tried playing against 3 AI in a standard random game? If not, give it a shot. Let all the AI move before you. Let one of the AI be first to declare war on you. If one them hasn't done so in 4 or 5 turns, declare war yourself. Do not use the 1 Town Start option for this game (all players start at war with each other in that type of game).

Webizen (Matrix)
Tac2i (Slitherine)

(in reply to DakaSha)
Post #: 2
RE: AI Difficulty - 4/16/2011 12:59:23 AM   
DakaSha

Ive tried a lot of different startups so far :P
I really think a level between Normal and + would be great. (50%)

Heck maybe even a level between those would be perfect (25%)

Im not sure how its coded so I dont know how hard it would be.. Is it a balance issue or nothing but a number? If its nothing but a number then give us 10 difficulty settings :P

Or a slider ^^

< Message edited by DakaSha -- 4/16/2011 1:00:15 AM >

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 3
RE: AI Difficulty - 4/16/2011 2:18:36 PM   
Webizen

Update re 1 Town Start Option: Vic has stated in another thread that he is going to change the default "all at war" setting to "all at peace." He also stated this is why players are seeing mostly AI infantry in these games. The AI is reacting defensively to everyone being at war with him by building large amounts of infantry. This change should be in the first patch.

I hereby award DakaSha my unofficial bug catching award for catching the most bugs us play testers missed. Good job!

Webizen (Matrix)
Tac2i (Slitherine)

(in reply to DakaSha)
Post #: 4
RE: AI Difficulty - 4/16/2011 9:23:19 PM   
DakaSha

Heh being a complete video game nerd for 20+ years, being a programmer and being completely obsessive compulsive helps :P
Ill post as i find

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 5
RE: AI Difficulty - 4/22/2011 4:57:56 AM   
DakaSha

Any chance of this? Its kinda crazy xD

(in reply to DakaSha)
Post #: 6
RE: AI Difficulty - 4/22/2011 6:20:24 AM   
torontorock

Smaller increments would be nice. Couldn't you do this with the editor though before starting a game? Would the following work?

1- disable the masterfile
2- Go to the peoples screen and set the ProdMod values of your opponent peoples to 1.25 (for a 25% increase in production) or 1.5 (for 50% increase) or whatever.

Would that work?

(in reply to DakaSha)
Post #: 7
RE: AI Difficulty - 4/22/2011 6:52:30 AM   
DakaSha

lots of work and shouldn't be necessary.

(in reply to torontorock)
Post #: 8
RE: AI Difficulty - 4/22/2011 9:47:37 AM   
Grymme

Its ca 1,5 minutes of work.

My Advanced Tactics Mod page
http://atgscenarios.wordpress.com

30+ scenarios, maps and mods for AT and AT:G

(in reply to DakaSha)
Post #: 9
RE: AI Difficulty - 4/22/2011 9:56:57 AM   
DakaSha

its work i shouldnt have to do. there is a perfectly good difficulty setting that is used for that. I shouldnt have to enter the freaking scenario editor. Not to mention i may just not want to see the map ahead of time

< Message edited by DakaSha -- 4/22/2011 9:57:31 AM >

(in reply to Grymme)
Post #: 10
RE: AI Difficulty - 4/22/2011 10:56:17 AM   
Grymme

You dont have to see the map ahead of time. The masterfile itself can be changed. Then it will have your choosen settings in all random games.

People cannot tell you that you have do do something, just show you how to do it. Then its your choice if you want to make the game more enjoyable to yourself or if you would rather not.

(in reply to DakaSha)
Post #: 11
RE: AI Difficulty - 4/22/2011 3:26:52 PM   
torontorock

How do you change the masterfile?

(in reply to Grymme)
Post #: 12
RE: AI Difficulty - 4/22/2011 6:27:44 PM   
Grymme

Toronto: When you load a scenario instead of loading a normal scenariofile you instead load any of the masterfiles. They are called something.ptmaster Then you edit it just as any normal scenario and save it (prefferably under a different name). Then when you want to play a game using the new master you just switch when you start the game.

(in reply to torontorock)
Post #: 13
RE: AI Difficulty - 4/22/2011 6:54:27 PM   
torontorock

Ah yes I just tried that. Very nice. Thx a bunch Grymme

(in reply to Grymme)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> The War Room >> AI Difficulty Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI