Matrix Games Forums

Hannibal: Terror of Rome goes into BetaBattle Academy Mega Pack releases on SteamDeal of the Week Da Vinci's Art of WarCivil War II Patch 1.4 public BetaHappy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and Salute
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A question to Linux users...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> A question to Linux users... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A question to Linux users... - 4/13/2011 8:00:50 PM   
Perturabo

Did anyone manage to run the editors under Wine (after installing the .net framework)? Now that the price dropped I'm considering buying it for the editors but I don't know if they work under Wine. The demo works.

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.
Post #: 1
RE: A question to Linux users... - 4/14/2011 12:26:25 AM   
Arjuna

If the demo works, so should the game. However, we don't officially support Linux and we have not directly tested this.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 2
RE: A question to Linux users... - 4/14/2011 6:42:59 PM   
Perturabo

I'm asking about estab editors, not the game itself. I have Red Devils over Arnhem and it works relatively well under wine.

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 3
RE: A question to Linux users... - 4/15/2011 1:08:40 AM   
Arjuna

Don't know about the estab editor under wine. Anybody else tried it?

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 4
RE: A question to Linux users... - 4/15/2011 9:49:03 AM   
Lieste

No idea, but the editors could be run on almost any windows box - so an old machine could be pressed into service and the edited files transferred if Linux/Wine won't work.

The Game engine itself requires a little more machine to allow the sound files (noticeably) and AI to run at a reasonable speed. A 2.4GHz P4 single core sometimes struggles with lots of artillery firing simultaneously - the sound breaks up a touch, but that is all - and occasional short pauses during the supply determination at 0600 and 1800 each day or on building/destroying a crossing. On this level of machine there also isn't much difference between top and slowest speed with a biggish scenario.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 5
RE: A question to Linux users... - 8/19/2011 11:17:54 PM   
Perturabo

I got it to run decently using Wine 1.3.24. I installed the game into a separate wineprefix using PlayOnLinux.

I installed corefonts tahoma fontfix d3dx9 vcrun6 dotnet20 using winetricks so that the estab editor would run.
Everything works - editors work, game works. Some older versions of wine don't allow running estab editor correctly. Version 1.3.25 of Wine breaks the Airborne Assault series.
Version 1.3.26 allows running Airborne Assault faster than 1.3.24 but it's not available for PlayOnLinux yet.

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 6
RE: A question to Linux users... - 9/8/2011 11:50:40 PM   
Perturabo

A little correction. It should be vcrun2008, not vcrun6.

Also, Wine can't display maps in map editor.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 7
RE: A question to Linux users... - 9/9/2011 3:26:17 AM   
Lieste

As there was a recent change to VS 2010, you might need to update that one after the patch. No idea if that is the case, but you might want to be prepared to hunt for the necessaries.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 8
RE: A question to Linux users... - 12/9/2011 6:15:06 PM   
Perturabo

I just downloaded the newest version of Wine (1.3.24). The minimap finally works and map editor finally works too.

EDIT:
The map editor doesn't work correctly with in-game maps - colours aren't displayed and any attempt to modify them causes it to crash. *sigh* maybe further versions of Wine will finally make it work.

< Message edited by Perturabo -- 12/10/2011 3:06:47 PM >

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 9
RE: A question to Linux users... - 12/23/2011 3:27:32 PM   
woffle

I have a problem under wine with the latest update. wine COBattlesfromtheBulge-Update-v42248.exe just pops up a warning: irsetup - Failed to open output file. Anyone had some success, I use wine-1.2.2.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 10
RE: A question to Linux users... - 12/24/2011 2:08:30 AM   
Perturabo

I didn't have any problems with installing the update on 1.3.34.

(in reply to woffle)
Post #: 11
RE: A question to Linux users... - 12/24/2011 3:09:10 AM   
junk2drive

I had a game that I was trying to install and had the irsetup error. Google searching came up with a post that the bug was fixed in a newer version.

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 12
RE: A question to Linux users... - 12/24/2011 12:03:02 PM   
woffle

Thanks, I updated to wine-1.3.35 and the update went through :) Unfortunately I cannot see the main game window anymore. In the past I used alt-tab to bring it to the foreground, but now it does not seem to be drawn at all. The application itself is started, I get the radio chatter noises and the process is running.
[edit]
Seems I cannot use 'match current resolution' when starting the game. Using one of the offered resolution choices does work!

< Message edited by woffle -- 12/24/2011 12:08:33 PM >

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> A question to Linux users... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI