ATG: Wishlist thread

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

DasTactic

ATG: Wishlist thread

Post by DasTactic »

I've only just got the game yesterday and while I am loving the improvements there are a few things that are bugging me so I thought I would start the obligatory 'wishlist' thread. :)

1. Sound sliders for both effects and music.
In the game they are either on or off. I often play games when my family is still asleep and those new turn drums are not going to make me popular.

2. Remember Random Game settings.
Once I find my 'sweet-spot' I won't be wanting to change much. The game remembers the settings if you start a new game from within the same session but it doesn't rememeber the settings if you quit and restart. Of course there may need to be a 'Default' button added as well to reset back to basic.

3. Hide map flash during turns
The map flashes on and off between AI turns. I don't think it serves any purpose and can get quite annoying.
EDIT: As pointed out below, this shows the AI having its turn and can be turned off in settings.

4. Crates are too easy to exploit
The crates remain random until they are activated which means for players with zero will-power [puts hand up] a quick reload and I'll eventually get a research lab or similar. Would be much better if the crates were designated when they are placed. It could still be exploited by not activating it but at least it couldn't be cycled from something bad to something good.
HappyHedonist

RE: ATG: Wishlist thread

Post by HappyHedonist »

May I request the ability to control the zoom level with the mouse wheel?
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

I really like recommendations 1 and 2. Re 3: the map flashing I'm not certain what you mean. If you are talking about watching the AI take its turn, you can turn that off in the Random Game Setup process. If you mean the map  briefly disappears and then reappears as each AI takes it turn, ok that would be nice I suppose. Re 4: Don't like crates and don't use them but your suggestion is a good one.

Map zoom with mouse wheel: Excellent idea.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

ORIGINAL: Happy Hedonist

May I request the ability to control the zoom level with the mouse wheel?

We asked for this for the original AT and also for Decisive Campaigns. Heck, we also brought that up earlier here in this forum. It would be nice.
Josh

Post by Josh »

+1 mouse zoom, I think that's standard since Logitech invented this wheelthingie... ten years ago or so. [:)] No biggie for me though.

And,

A quick save button. [:D] I tend to save a lot. Hint; "q" for quick save [:'(] or "f5"
Vic

Post by Vic »

Always happy with all feedback.
I will start working on the first patch very soon anyway. As I always do with all releases. There is so much stuff that aint spotted in beta test. Especially with a sprawling engine like ATG.

I will make this thread sticky to keep everything together from the start.

best,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

+1 Quick Save feature. In addition, a sequential save feature, i.e. 0414110921 (date time). I often want to save every turn and would like to see that automated.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
hadberz

Post by hadberz »

If we could disable the End Turn popup box, that would be great. I just want the turn to end and it would save my poor finger some pain, clicking hurts after a while. [:)]
AMD 5800X 8 core 3.8 GHz
Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wifi (F63d Bios)
32 GB G-Skill DDR4 3200
MSI Gaming X Trio RX 6950 XT 16GB
Dell S2721DGF 2560x1440 165Hz
Dell S2719DGF 2560x1440 144Hz
Samsung 870 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe drive
Win 11 Pro
henri51

Post by henri51 »

I would like to see a version of WaW that has oil and stuff, and that is playable against the AI (yes, the old versions of WaW are playable with the new AI and GUI -I am playing one right now).

It wold ne nice too to have ATG versions (playable against the AI) of WW2 scenarios available in other games like Crete, Korsun Pocket, Kharkov, and so on.

And oh yes, an ATG version of Operation Crusader! [:D]

Personally I am not very fond of games where one has to break through three rows of enemy units like some Barbarossa scenarios in other games (I get brainlock with games like TOAWIII). The advantage of AT vs other games is the relatively low count of units and its good implementation of logistics and maneuver. I DO have games like WiTE, WiTP, all versions of HoI3, and so on, but I think good implementations of AT beats them all.

Henri
htuna

Post by htuna »

+1 to Mouse Wheel Zoom..

Also have the option to use the old AT unit pictures... I like my German tanks/planes to look German.. and my Soviet tanks/planes to look soviet.. hate the new tank drawings.. even Decisive Campaigns was much better in that respect..
kondor

Post by kondor »

ORIGINAL: cmurphy625

+1 to Mouse Wheel Zoom..

Also have the option to use the old AT unit pictures... I like my German tanks/planes to look German.. and my Soviet tanks/planes to look soviet.. hate the new tank drawings.. even Decisive Campaigns was much better in that respect..

+1 for the old AT pictures, as cmurphy625 said, I to like a more realistic look to the units...
SSFSX17

Post by SSFSX17 »

Interface:
- When building roads, the spacebar key seems to cancel, or otherwise be bugged, instead of confirming the road building. This is especially-jarring as it worked correctly in AT:WW2.

Research:
- Medium Tank still doesn't have a research level, whereas higher levels of Medium Tank do have research levels. Not very significant, since I've already fixed this in my own mod (again).

ItemTypes:
- IsSupply and IsPolPt seem to be overruling UseSFTypeGraphic, which means that supply and political point graphics still can't be modded cleanly.
- The ItemType for Ranger IV does not work properly. Not an essential feature, since I've already fixed this in my own mod.
"People are easily amused by quotes." - Some guy with a cool-sounding name
Josh

Post by Josh »

Interface:
- When building roads, the spacebar key seems to cancel, or otherwise be bugged, instead of confirming the road building. This is especially-jarring as it worked correctly in AT:WW2.

+1

Dunno why that has changed/forgotten? Spacebar used to be an "execute" build railroad order, and now it cancels the order...
Vic

Post by Vic »

ORIGINAL: Josh

Interface:

+1

Dunno why that has changed/forgotten? Spacebar used to be an "execute" build railroad order, and now it cancels the order...

Yes this is on the list for the first patch. Its a glitch that crept through the beta test.

best,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Vic

Post by Vic »

ORIGINAL: SSFSX17

Interface:

Research:
- Medium Tank still doesn't have a research level, whereas higher levels of Medium Tank do have research levels. Not very significant, since I've already fixed this in my own mod (again).

ItemTypes:
- IsSupply and IsPolPt seem to be overruling UseSFTypeGraphic, which means that supply and political point graphics still can't be modded cleanly.
- The ItemType for Ranger IV does not work properly. Not an essential feature, since I've already fixed this in my own mod.

thanks for reporting! will be checking this out. and adding what i can to the first patch.

best,
Vic
Vic

Post by Vic »

ORIGINAL: hadberz

If we could disable the End Turn popup box, that would be great. I just want the turn to end and it would save my poor finger some pain, clicking hurts after a while. [:)]

try enter or space?
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

1) In the Production Overview menu it would be nice to click a city from the cities production list, then Close Production Overview, then see the city centered on the map. I have wanted this feature for a while as I like to see where the cities are in relation to one another when making decisions for production lines.

2) More sounds, like mouse clicks at least. This is almost a soundless game except for the combats. Music is probably too much to ask for, and many gamers will just reply that they prefer their own music.

Attachments
Production-1.jpg
Production-1.jpg (262.04 KiB) Viewed 1807 times
DakaSha

Post by DakaSha »

Josh

Post by Josh »

I agree with Larry here on the music, at some point at least *some* music will have to be implemented in the game... in a future version/patch.
I always play with music on, although the volume is set at about zero :-)
(and no, I don't like importing my own music)
Vic

Post by Vic »

ORIGINAL: LarryP

1) In the Production Overview menu it would be nice to click a city from the cities production list, then Close Production Overview, then see the city centered on the map. I have wanted this feature for a while as I like to see where the cities are in relation to one another when making decisions for production lines.

2) More sounds, like mouse clicks at least. This is almost a soundless game except for the combats. Music is probably too much to ask for, and many gamers will just reply that they prefer their own music.

putting point 1 on the to do list.

excellent suggestion

best,
vic

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”