determined outcome

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

bodmerm

determined outcome

Post by bodmerm »

If you dont win as Axis in 1941 you are determined to loose. Somehow the game feels "fixed" whether or not you survive blizzard reasonably or not. What is the fun part uf such determinism? I dont know.
kirkgregerson

RE: determined outcome

Post by kirkgregerson »

Well it's a historical game. So if you think you're going to ever win(conquer) the Soviets against any decent human opponent.. umm you playing the wrong game.

I think because the game is somewhat 'fixed' for axis units and resources that participated in the east, it's going to be almost impossible to conquer the Soviets. Maybe in some games where you have more control over your forces and production globally could you possible force some temporary soviet surrender if you're a great strategic mind. But WitE is not this type of global game.

You 'WIN' as axis by not having Berlin taken before mid/late 45.
bodmerm

Post by bodmerm »

I realize that we play a (very nice and extremely well made) historical game, no doubt against that. But I want to suggest to be able to do better as historical germany did if not making their mistakes (Stalingrad, Leningrad, stand to the last man). It would be very motivating to drain manpower from lagre cities and/or see that industry works for you when you hold the Donez bassin, capture the oil of Maikop or let the Kolpino tank factroy work for your cause. We have to distinguish between gaming and "real war" (which cannot be simulated anyway). BUT: no doubts that the developers made every effort to deliver a deep experience. Thats the biggest reward (and not halt the soviets in Romania...)
pompack

Post by pompack »

ORIGINAL: bodmerm

If you dont win as Axis in 1941 you are determined to loose. Somehow the game feels "fixed" whether or not you survive blizzard reasonably or not. What is the fun part uf such determinism? I dont know.

Well, I have gotten auto-victory (against the AI but at least on Challanging) twice, but both time it took me until 1943 to do it. Against human opponents it is much harder but I would hardly call it pre-determined except in the sense that Germany did lose after all. If you want the see a REAL pre-determined game, go read PDH's most recent AAR.
Commanderski

Post by Commanderski »

\quote]the developers made every effort to deliver a deep experience. Thats the biggest reward (and not halt the soviets in Romania...) [/quote]

I totally agree with that. While I don't have the time to play to the extent that some of you have I find the game fascinating and totally enjoyable. The AI is quite good on Normal, Challanging and Hard are exactly that. And as posted above the outcome is not predetermined, as long as you don't make the same mistakes they did. If you do what they did the results would be the same, that's what great about this game. You have the opportunity not to make the same mistakes and make decisions that give you a chance to win.
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

WitE is an operational game and the grand campaign in 41 is really a strategic level scenario. The designers did leave out many what if's, optional rules, optional scenarios etc... it has been discussed many times in other threads, and I haved stop playing the grand camapign because of the limited options available; may try it again when a major patch is released [;)] With good game play and taking advange of the AI's limations it is very possible to force an AI Russia to surrender. Although forcing a AI Germany to surrender is fairly easy. Against a good Soviet player you'll be lucky to last till 45!

The smaller scenarioes are much better; having definded objectives really helps. Really showns the strengths of the game design. Most of these games can be played in a week or two and both sides have a good chance at winning. There are some players designing new scenarioes as well. Tried a Stalingrad scenario and it looks promising, may still need some balancing.

I know everyone wants to play the grand campaign but really what's the point of spending several hundred hours playing only to find out that Russia won the war! For some this is enough. For me no where near. I'll have to wait of a war in Europe to get all the bells and whistles I would like. And I'm sure with the success of WitE many game design companies will try to emulate and improve on the 'monster' game design, which would be great news for me.
kirkgregerson

Post by kirkgregerson »

I'll have to wait of a war in Europe to get all the bells and whistles I would like.

Don't get your hopes up for doing any better in the west against the US and UK. If you thought Soviet production was endless, wait till you face the US. The manpower won't be as endless as the Soviets, but some sort of victory will be still along the lines of survival past the historical German surrender date. I'm already afraid to see the combat reports when US/UK P-51's attack the tanks of my Panzer Div. When you think about the total air superiority the allies had in the West, it's enough to make any axis fanboy cry 'Mommy'.

I think what some of you are looking for is some 'what if' scenarios. I admit that those would be fun, although I'm not sure what human opponents would want to play under the same circumstances.
pompack

Post by pompack »

ORIGINAL: Angelo

The smaller scenarioes are much better; having definded objectives really helps. Really showns the strengths of the game design. Most of these games can be played in a week or two and both sides have a good chance at winning. There are some players designing new scenarioes as well. Tried a Stalingrad scenario and it looks promising, may still need some balancing.
I

Ah yes. The age-old Grigsby-game Forum issue. Should this be a "game" in which each side has an equal chance to win with the issue solely determined by the skill of the players or should this be a "Strategic Simulation" that faithfully reproduces the strengths and weaknesses of both sides. And on the gripping hand, should it be a "sim" that absolutely models the physics of each possible event.

I drink to the many, many terabytes that have been sacrificed on that altar, all to no avail (and mostly because it been noted that Gary himself has read only one forum post in his life and he designs these things strictly to suit his view of the Universe (and he does it very well in most people's opinions whatever these games are))

fbs

Post by fbs »

But that's the thing... several WW2 wargames provide a condition for winning in points even if you're defeated in the battlefield.

The criteria, imho, should be to have better or worse results as compared to historical.

So if the Soviets enter Berlin in 1944, that adds win points for Soviets; if they enter in 1946, adds win points for the Germans. Similarly, if the Germans enter Moscow then that adds win points for the Germans, but if they don't come even close by 1941, then that's win points for the Soviets.

And so forth.

Thanks,
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

ORIGINAL: pompack

ORIGINAL: Angelo

I

Ah yes. The age-old Grigsby-game Forum issue. Should this be a "game" in which each side has an equal chance to win with the issue solely determined by the skill of the players or should this be a "Strategic Simulation" that faithfully reproduces the strengths and weaknesses of both sides. And on the gripping hand, should it be a "sim" that absolutely models the physics of each possible event.

I drink to the many, many terabytes that have been sacrificed on that altar, all to no avail (and mostly because it been noted that Gary himself has read only one forum post in his life and he designs these things strictly to suit his view of the Universe (and he does it very well in most people's opinions whatever these games are))

Hear you dude +1.

I really liked Gary's Steel Panther games. I did buy War at War(?) it was crap.

And had to get this game because I love big detailed games [:D]. But found that it was a light weight.
1jasonoz

Post by 1jasonoz »

I have to disagree regarding the comment that if you don't win in 41 your destined to lose. I am playing the 42-45 game and instead of doing an advance into the Cauacus did a left hook up and behind Moscow. This drew the Soviet forces out and I was able to bag loads of Soviets who stood to defend their capital. I have Moscow, Leningrad and have caused 9.7 milion Soviet casualties versus mine of 2.8 million, and am only 19 victory points away from from achieving victory in 1944.
Aditia

Post by Aditia »

most of the current scenarios are historical scenarios, the game leaves plenty of room for "what if" scenarios (which would interest me more than a WitW, the scope of the war in the west is more suited for battalion level games like Panzer Campaigns).

Exciting "what if's" could be:

- England defeated in 1940/1941:

with OOB changes for: occupational forces in Britain, Afrikakorps on the eastern front, stronger luftwaffe, use of captured British equipment, British SS units and use of British factories, Mid Eastern Oil production for the Germans.

- Japan invades Soviet Union:

with OOB changes for less Soviet reinforcements in 1941, divisions from the far east arrive later, but understrength and with higher morale/experience.

- Rommel victorious in Afrika against the English:

with OOB changes for more Italian forces in Russia, Afrikakorps in Russia, North African SS division in Russia, withdrawals due to operations in Italy/Mediterranian delayed for a year.

- Red Army prepared:

Probably a way shorter campaign, with Germans lacking the advantage of complete operational surprise they had in the opening period of Barbarossa and disposition of the Red Army in the Northern and Central sector more in depth.

- U-boot victory in the Atlantic in 1942

British war production breaks down, with OOB changes for stronger Luftwaffe in Russia, and less divisions on the Atlantik wall. Delay for withdrawals due to operations in Mediterranian and Normandy for 6 months

- Full participation of the Finnish army in 1941

Finns are allowed to make attacks when Germans are within 30 miles of Leningrad
runyan99

Post by runyan99 »

Another good alternate campaign would be Full Economic mobilization for the Germans earlier in the war, either in 41 or 42.
JWW

Post by JWW »

I  have just played some "road to" scenarios as well as reading a lot of threads here, and I keep thinking back to Gary Grigsby's The War Between the States.  I love that game and think it is in philosophy somewhat similar to WITE.  Playing the Confederacy in WBTS, the goal is not to militarily defeat the Union but to do better than the Confederacy and win on points.  There are automatic victory conditions for both sides and a point system to declare victory at game's end, vaguely similar to WITE.  There are many, many differences, of course, among them of course being the scale and that the Germans start with a chance to blitz their way to a win.  But in the end, as the Germans you just might win by holding on to the end and doing better historically than the real Germans did.

But my point is that I enjoy playing the Confederacy in WBTS, even though I know that in most cases I will simply be fighting a desperate defensive struggle for a large part of the game.  In WITE, I fully expect to enjoy playing the Germans in the campaign game even if I have to end up fighting a desperate defensive struggle for a large part of the game.  Thus both games are very roughly historical, with chances to do far better than the real life participants did, or far worse, but the odds being that the results will be very roughly similar in the end.  I think that is how the base game should be set up.  But I also hope that scenarios will be added that give variants, as discussed above, that can significantly alter the starting situation.

I've kind of rambled, but my bottom line is that I am amazed at how good the game is, having just barely tasted it, and am in the camp that doesn't mind at all if it is weighted toward roughly historical results.

It also is the only game I've ever played where I've watched the intro video and listened to the intro music more than once.  That is very well done.    
Panama

Post by Panama »

There are some things you can do as the Axis player that could change how the GC goes that would not be a what if option. However, because certain conditions are hard coded into WitE you would still be screwed. If the Axis player did not exhaust his forces trying to reach any objective but instead advanced to Vyazma and stopped for the winter. Part of the reason the Soviet winter offensive went so well was because the Germans were at the end of their logistic and physical tether. Even if you, as the Axis, do not advance as far you are still screwed because of the 'blizzard' being hard coded to screw you. [:D]

That is a determined outcome.
Remmes

Post by Remmes »

ORIGINAL: Panama

There are some things you can do as the Axis player that could change how the GC goes that would not be a what if option. However, because certain conditions are hard coded into WitE you would still be screwed. If the Axis player did not exhaust his forces trying to reach any objective but instead advanced to Vyazma and stopped for the winter. Part of the reason the Soviet winter offensive went so well was because the Germans were at the end of their logistic and physical tether. Even if you, as the Axis, do not advance as far you are still screwed because of the 'blizzard' being hard coded to screw you. [:D]

That is a determined outcome.

This is a valid point; if the Germans would have dug in and shipped greatcoats and mittens -not bullets and fuel- to the front, the winter would not have hit them as hard as it did when the were stretched to the limit in every sense. It would add to replayability if the game would take this into consideration. It would be nice if you could mitigate the effects of the first winter, this will make the rest of the war different as well because of altered power ratios.

Not sure whether the scope of the game is to be historically accurate or that these hypothetical scenario's are acceptable as well.

Loving the game by the way....doing at least 1 turn each day......

jomni

Post by jomni »

As stated by some earlier posts, they have achieved some sort of progress even if not winning in 1941.
Also you still have a chance of not losing by surviving and achieving a draw result by delaying Soviet progress if you cannot mount counter attacks anymore. All is not lost in 1941.
molchomor

Post by molchomor »

ORIGINAL: jomni

As stated by some earlier posts, they have achieved some sort of progress even if not winning in 1941.
Also you still have a chance of not losing by surviving and achieving a draw result by delaying Soviet progress if you cannot mount counter attacks anymore. All is not lost in 1941.

Yes, that is the game's definition of not losing.

Possibly supported by some (Charlie Sheen anyone?), but, I seriously doubt that it corresponds with how the majority of players would define being pushed back towards the starting point by endless waves of Soviets and not being able to do anything at all about it.

Attachments
charlie_sh..d3cebfz.jpg
charlie_sh..d3cebfz.jpg (30.43 KiB) Viewed 209 times
Panama

Post by Panama »

ORIGINAL: molchomor

ORIGINAL: jomni

Yes, that is the game's definition of not losing.

Possibly supported by some (Charlie Sheen anyone?), but, I seriously doubt that it corresponds with how the majority of players would define being pushed back towards the starting point by endless waves of Soviets and not being able to do anything at all about it.

Attempting to mitigate that manpower pool in 1942 would be a possible solution.

Attachments
sheen.jpg
sheen.jpg (29.86 KiB) Viewed 209 times
molchomor

Post by molchomor »

Better to draw manpower from the dead-pool, as this seems inexhaustible [:D]

Attachments
tumblr_ldd..e1o1_500.jpg
tumblr_ldd..e1o1_500.jpg (16.13 KiB) Viewed 210 times

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”