Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT Monitor Help

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT Monitor Help Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT Monitor Help - 4/7/2011 4:29:55 AM   
Hanzberger

I'm a little lost. It seems everything on my computer has a 'wisp' to it.
Looks like everything has a trail to it starting left (say at a desktop icon) and fading right. Like a foggy white.

Any clue? I don't see anything that would change it by hitting properties on my desktop or on my ATI. What am I missing?

Its been going on for a little wile, I thought it was just the game since I changed some of the art but its everything.

Post #: 1
RE: OT Monitor Help - 4/7/2011 4:33:33 AM   
Hanzberger

Maybe you can see it here

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hanzberger)
Post #: 2
RE: OT Monitor Help - 4/7/2011 5:49:57 AM   
Commander Cody

I'm a bit at a loss. I don't see any problem in the above picture.

EDIT: Obviously, if it's a monitor problem then I wouldn't be seeing it. Too much AE...

Cheers,
CC

< Message edited by Commander Cody -- 4/7/2011 5:53:44 AM >

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Hanzberger)
Post #: 3
RE: OT Monitor Help - 4/7/2011 9:31:13 AM   
cookie monster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hanzberger

I'm a little lost. It seems everything on my computer has a 'wisp' to it.
Looks like everything has a trail to it starting left (say at a desktop icon) and fading right. Like a foggy white.

Any clue? I don't see anything that would change it by hitting properties on my desktop or on my ATI. What am I missing?

Its been going on for a little wile, I thought it was just the game since I changed some of the art but its everything.

try degaussing your monitor thru the settings menu

Alot of static can build up periodically

It's that loud buzz sound you may have heard on monitor start up

That would fix it on my monitor

(in reply to Hanzberger)
Post #: 4
RE: OT Monitor Help - 4/7/2011 1:22:19 PM   
Hanzberger

Thanks Cookie I will look into it. Its a flat screen monitor, few years old now, Samsung 225bw. Can you still degause something like this. In the above picture did you see the 'trailing shadow'? My computer is getting pretty damm old, any chance its the video card?
It wouldn't be some setting or effect that got turned on somehow? My wife is about as good as my 4yr old on the computer.

(in reply to cookie monster)
Post #: 5
RE: OT Monitor Help - 4/7/2011 1:58:15 PM   
beppi

quote:

Thanks Cookie I will look into it. Its a flat screen monitor, few years old now, Samsung 225bw. Can you still degause something like this. In the above picture did you see the 'trailing shadow'? My computer is getting pretty damm old, any chance its the video card?
It wouldn't be some setting or effect that got turned on somehow? My wife is about as good as my 4yr old on the computer.

Degauss is only for the old cathode ray tubes to remove magnetic effects which can lead to a misplaced electron ray which leads to blurry/wrong coloured picture. You should try to connect it to an other computer/laptop and check if the problem still exists. If yes you can assume that the flat is damaged i do not think that a repair is worth it. If the problem goes away check your graphic card cause then the problem is somewhere there.

(in reply to Hanzberger)
Post #: 6
RE: OT Monitor Help - 4/7/2011 4:49:25 PM   
Hanzberger

I have a pent 2 maybe I should look for a new computer??? Its probably my video card. I did think of checking the monitor against another computer though.
Where I have my tower is in a desk that does not get a lot of air flow and collects a lot of dust it seems. I have the side panel off so it doesn't get too hot.
It's been this way for a long time. I take it out and clean it, which is overdue. I just think the old gal is dying on me....pssssss and I think the wife is gonna let me get another one...

(in reply to beppi)
Post #: 7
RE: OT Monitor Help - 4/7/2011 6:27:39 PM   
Hanzberger

Well, i970 or i2600? any suggestions on a motherboard? I want to be able to run dual monitors so I am gonna go with the Nvidia 480x2.

(in reply to Hanzberger)
Post #: 8
RE: OT Monitor Help - 4/7/2011 8:04:09 PM   
Journier

pentium 2?

Not sure if serious. That things older than war in the pacific ^_^

(in reply to Hanzberger)
Post #: 9
RE: OT Monitor Help - 4/8/2011 12:15:00 AM   
Hanzberger

sorry pent 4

(in reply to Journier)
Post #: 10
RE: OT Monitor Help - 4/8/2011 2:52:23 AM   
fbs

quote:

Hey, how did you manage to get a print-screen of MY monitor problem??

That image clearly has the left side bluer and the right side greener.

It's really odd that your monitor has the same problem of mine...

(in reply to Hanzberger)
Post #: 11
RE: OT Monitor Help - 4/8/2011 6:20:59 AM   
Sredni

I don't think a monitor issue will show up in a screenshot, and didn't in yours since it looks normal to me.

Take a photo of your screen with your phone (or whatever) and upload that. I was going to demonstrate with a flatscreen TV I have that has these weird green lines running up and down just to the right of the center of the screen but the problem is intermittent and it wouldn't oblige.

(in reply to fbs)
Post #: 12
RE: OT Monitor Help - 4/8/2011 1:34:35 PM   
Hanzberger

quote:

ORIGINAL: fbs

quote:

Hey, how did you manage to get a print-screen of MY monitor problem??

That image clearly has the left side bluer and the right side greener.

It's really odd that your monitor has the same problem of mine...

Sorry to laugh a little fbs, but I don't see what your seeing. My problem is everything has a "shadowy, white trail" so in the above picture, the color is normal to me but it looks like as if it was in motion leaving a vapor trail to the left. As if it was moving right to left so to speak. It seems to be getting worse slowly so I think I may have to break down and just by a new machine. I don't think this computer is worth trying to replace any parts. My monitor is fairly new, Samsung SyncMaster 225bw. I may disconnect it and take it to a friends to see if it is a monitor problem. I'm surprised I have not had more problems sooner considering the location (kitchen-heat-steam-grease-whatever), having the side panel off (dirt, debree) age (10yrs?). The question is what can I afford and what should I get next? i9xx? or i2600? And yes, I plan on moving the new computer to a different room.

(in reply to fbs)
Post #: 13
RE: OT Monitor Help - 4/8/2011 1:37:23 PM   
Hanzberger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sredni

I don't think a monitor issue will show up in a screenshot, and didn't in yours since it looks normal to me.

Take a photo of your screen with your phone (or whatever) and upload that. I was going to demonstrate with a flatscreen TV I have that has these weird green lines running up and down just to the right of the center of the screen but the problem is intermittent and it wouldn't oblige.

Thats a good idea, however, I think my machine is just done. I got more out of it then can be expected. Any suggestions on a new machine?
Would like to keep it under 3k closer to 2k.

Built what I think is a nice one (online-cyberpowerpc) came out to be just under 3500 with shipping but didn't buy.

< Message edited by Hanzberger -- 4/8/2011 1:38:40 PM >

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 14
RE: OT Monitor Help - 4/8/2011 1:42:25 PM   
Hanzberger

You should hear the HD kicking when I turn the game on.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hanzberger)
Post #: 15
RE: OT Monitor Help - 4/8/2011 9:58:37 PM   
CyrusSpitama

Being new here this isn't much I can offer expertise on but, at least I have built enough PCs on my own to help with this topic. My personal approach to building a PC is easily translated to a non-builder point of view as well.

First thing:

Decide if you want a computer for right now that is on par with current tech or if you want something built to last well into the future. This answer is the biggest driving point to your overall cost. Seeing how you got such good mileage from your current PC, consider roughly how it was priced compared to the market at the time and use that as a baseline for analysis.

Second thing: What is your total available price tag? I see you already have the answer to this and remember, this does not mean buy neat stuff for the case till your price is reached.

Third thing: Do you have any special uses planned for this computer other than just gaming? The first question is the bigger driver of cost but, this one is also a big influence.

In my opinion, these three basic questions must be answered while you are browsing the computer market. If I am just repeating what you have already done, then please move right on to step 2.

Get feedback on the unit you will be purchasing. This involves finding out what components are inside the box or if mass produced, the exact model number and options added. Feel free to post your information here because I am sure there is at least one or two geeks here willing to give specific info and issues with your selected components.

I firmly believe you can easily spend well under 2k for a solid machine by making a couple of simple choices. Get a baseline machine and add the *extra* components yourself. Choose AMD over Intel processor. The AMDs are just fine and nearly half the price with one caveat, ensure proper cooling is present in your box.

Good luck in your search and please post here any info that can help us help you in your final choice.

< Message edited by CyrusSpitama -- 4/8/2011 10:00:08 PM >

(in reply to Hanzberger)
Post #: 16
RE: OT Monitor Help - 4/8/2011 10:03:30 PM   
CyrusSpitama

FYI- in reference to your initial discussion, monitor visual issues will not be visible with a screen shot since the screen shot is a *capture of data*. That is, it is not a picture of your screen but rather, a snippet of the data headed to the display device(s). The only thing that would show on a screen shot is if the raw data was inherently flawed.

(in reply to CyrusSpitama)
Post #: 17
RE: OT Monitor Help - 4/8/2011 10:08:12 PM   
witpqs

Further to CyrusSpitama's post, if you want us to see pretty much what you see on the screen, use a digital camera to take a picture of it (no flash, please!) and post that (you might have to reduce the resolution).

Post #: 18
RE: OT Monitor Help - 4/8/2011 10:11:08 PM   
CyrusSpitama

fbs, your response was laden with humor and I am surprised no one caught it. Good show !

(in reply to fbs)
Post #: 19
RE: OT Monitor Help - 4/9/2011 4:24:30 AM   
Hanzberger

Thanks guys for taking interest in trying to help me. That's why I like this 'community' so much. I did get the fbs humor too.
I think I got a lot of mileage out of this computer because I bought near top of the line stuff back then but I've been looking to buy a computer
for a long time now so I have also learned a lot. Not as much as you guys know though so I could use help/opinions in this process, so Thank you very much.
I will post, very soon, what I think I may be getting so please post your opinion if possible.
I am afraid of my computer just dying at this point and it's like a very old car not worth saving so I will be making a decision in a few days if not by Sunday night so plz check back.
I am rather firm on going with Sandy Bridge. I hear the i2600 is overkill and to go with the i2500, however, the difference is cost is not much so i2600 it is.
The other firm thing is a Asus P8P67 Deluxe Intel P67 Chipset DDR3 yadda yadda yadda.
Everything is up for grabs except I have changed my mind on graphics card from Nvidia something to AMD Radeon 5xxx series. I want to be able to run dual monitors, possible 3 in the future. (6970?). Anyway, that looks like the foundation.
Thanks again.

Post #: 20
RE: OT Monitor Help - 4/9/2011 4:36:23 AM   
CyrusSpitama

Unless you are dead set on getting an Intel CPU, do yourself a favor and at least browse through the AMD chipsets. The price differences can be quite amazing!

To clarify my earlier comment about cooling being an AMD issue. All computer require cooling. The AMD CPUs tend to generate nearly twice the heat as a comparable Intel CPU. All this means is sometimes an extra case fan or just being sure your existing setup is not placed in an area with lots of ambient heat. It is really not that big of a deal. What it does mean is that when you develop cooling issues, such as a failing fan, the AMD is more likely to crash than the Intel.

I have used AMDs on my last three computer builds and the only failure has been vid cards (x5) and motherboards(2x). My current PC is still using the exact same AMD CPU that I purchased almost 7 years ago. So if you have doubts about AMD reliability or durability, do not worry!

I too am wanting to upgrade but, well... work.. finances.. yadda yadda

(in reply to Hanzberger)
Post #: 21
RE: OT Monitor Help - 4/9/2011 4:37:56 AM   
Hanzberger

quote:

ORIGINAL: CyrusSpitama

Being new here this isn't much I can offer expertise on but, at least I have built enough PCs on my own to help with this topic. My personal approach to building a PC is easily translated to a non-builder point of view as well.

First thing:

Decide if you want a computer for right now that is on par with current tech or if you want something built to last well into the future. This answer is the biggest driving point to your overall cost. Seeing how you got such good mileage from your current PC, consider roughly how it was priced compared to the market at the time and use that as a baseline for analysis.

Second thing: What is your total available price tag? I see you already have the answer to this and remember, this does not mean buy neat stuff for the case till your price is reached.

Third thing: Do you have any special uses planned for this computer other than just gaming? The first question is the bigger driver of cost but, this one is also a big influence.

In my opinion, these three basic questions must be answered while you are browsing the computer market. If I am just repeating what you have already done, then please move right on to step 2.

Get feedback on the unit you will be purchasing. This involves finding out what components are inside the box or if mass produced, the exact model number and options added. Feel free to post your information here because I am sure there is at least one or two geeks here willing to give specific info and issues with your selected components.

I firmly believe you can easily spend well under 2k for a solid machine by making a couple of simple choices. Get a baseline machine and add the *extra* components yourself. Choose AMD over Intel processor. The AMDs are just fine and nearly half the price with one caveat, ensure proper cooling is present in your box.

Good luck in your search and please post here any info that can help us help you in your final choice.

1. Well I believe in buying on par componets now, so it can keep up for atleast 3-5yrs.
2. Price tag? Well cheaper is always better, I start to go over 2500 and get nervous. Orginally things I was building 'online' were around 5k.
I have been able to get this down to around 3500. So where do I trim the fat or do I just buck up. (that is the question)
I want stability, flexiblility and such.
3. Use of computer, well that is hard. I have no immediate plans but again, I want the flexiblity to do whatever. Sorry not such a good answer, maybe high end gaming, of course regular home use. Small possiblility of video editing in the future. (I have a unique biz idea in my head but know nothing about the video editing thing) again sorry to be vague. When I bought this computer, it wasn't the best but then again, I didn't know as much as I do now. It was pretty much the best thing going at that point though.

Post #: 22
RE: OT Monitor Help - 4/9/2011 4:56:36 AM   
CyrusSpitama

quote:

1. Well I believe in buying on par componets now, so it can keep up for atleast 3-5yrs.

Good philosophy but, realize your computer drops behind the curve every 6 months or less. The reasons are obvious so dont be afraid to go just one step back on the par for now. The difference 6months to a year from now will not be noticed.

quote:

2. Price tag? Well cheaper is always better, I start to go over 2500 and get nervous. Orginally things I was building 'online' were around 5k.
I have been able to get this down to around 3500. So where do I trim the fat or do I just buck up. (that is the question)
I want stability, flexiblility and such.

*Bucking up* IS how the computer assemblers make their money. I can only offer a few pointers here.

First- post your current builds you are looking at. Then pointers can be given on why you want this... do you need that.. etc.

Second- Certain components can be purchased and installed by you with minimal issues. So if you want to save money (and often get a higher quality component), consider not adding these bells and whistles to your build.

Third- research ! Look and see what quality(manufacturer, reliability) of components that are being added to your bells and whistles category. http://www.tomshardware.com/ is a good point to begin your research.

quote:

3. Use of computer, well that is hard. I have no immediate plans but again, I want the flexiblity to do whatever. Sorry not such a good answer, maybe high end gaming, of course regular home use. Small possiblility of video editing in the future. (I have a unique biz idea in my head but know nothing about the video editing thing) again sorry to be vague. When I bought this computer, it wasn't the best but then again, I didn't know as much as I do now. It was pretty much the best thing going at that point though.

Often buying the best thing going at the current time means your system will have extras that aren't really being utilized by your needs. A good example is systems coming with 4 gigs of RAM in a winXP or Vista system. It took years for these OS's to be upgraded to actually utilize this amount of RAM. Currently most games don't even properly utilize multiple core CPUs or 64 bit Operating Systems. Only the most recently released and developed games are really digging into these resources.

As for flexibility, a gamer built system can handle most uses you can throw at it. The two major exceptions I can see here would be things like AutoCAD or Video editing. Luckily, a decent gamer system can perform even these things with simple upgrades.

In other words, it seems that you want a gamer setup so do not worry about flexibility. Your system, if built properly, should handle most things thrown at it.

(in reply to Hanzberger)
Post #: 23
RE: OT Monitor Help - 4/9/2011 5:51:47 AM   
Hanzberger

Ok here is my latest build coming in at 2955.80 (shipped)
Please check out the power supply and HD's, if you know or could suggest anything better/different.

Case: * Coolermaster HAF-X Gaming Full Tower Case w/ 1x230mm Red LED Fan, 1x200mm Fans, 2xFront USB 3.0 Port [+100]
Internal USB Extension Module: None
Neon Light Upgrade: None
Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans
Noise Reduction Technology: None
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2600K 3.40 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)
Freebies: None
Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: No Overclocking
Cooling Fan: Asetek 570LX Liquid Cooling system w/ 240MM Radiator and Dual Fans (Extreme Overclocking Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) [+43]
Motherboard: [CrossFireX/SLI] Asus P8P67 Deluxe Intel P67 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ UEFI, DIGI+VRM, 7.1 HD Audio, BT GO! Dual GbLAN, USB3.0, 2x SATA-III RAID, 3 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI [B3 Stepping] [+123]
Motherboard Expansion Card: None
Memory: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Kingston HyperX [+66])
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card [+59] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
Video Card 2: AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card [+335] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
Video Card 3: None
Dedicated PHYSX Card: None
Multiple Video Card Settings: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
Power Supply Upgrade: 1200 Watts - Corsair Professional Series CMPSU-AX1200 80 Plus Gold Power Supply [+252]
Hard Drive: 64 GB A-Data S501 V2 SATA III 6.0G/s Gaming MLC Solid State Disk [+12] (Single Hard Drive)
Data Hard Drive: 120 GB Intel 510 2.5 inch SATA III 6.0G/S Gaming MLC Solid State Disk [+335] (Single Hard Drive)
Hard Drive Cooling Fan: None
External Hard Drive (USB3.0/2.0/eSATA): None
USB Flash Drive: None
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST 12X Blu-Ray Combo DVDRW Drive [+47] (BLACK COLOR)
Optical Drive 2: LG WH10-LS30K 10X Internal Super Multi Blu-Ray Rewriter [+125] (Black Color)
Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
3D Vision Glasses: None
LCD Monitor: None
2nd Monitor: None
3rd Monitor: None
Speakers: None
Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
Network Switch: None
Keyboard: * Thermaltake eSports Challenger Gaming Keyboard Black [+33]
Mouse: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
Mouse Pad: None
Gaming Gear: None
Extra Thermal Display: None
Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: None
External Wireless Network Card: None
Wireless 802.11 B/G/N Access Point: None
Bluetooth: None
Flash Media Reader/Writer: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
Video Camera: None
Headset: None
Printer: None
Cable: None
Power Protection: OPTI-UPS TS2250B 2000VA/1200W Uninterruptible Power Supply [+209]
Surge Protector: Ultra U12-40629 7 Outlet Surge Protector Black 6 Individual On/Off Switch [+20]
IEEE1394 Card: None
USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Professional [+31] (64-bit Edition)
Media Center Remote Control & TV Tuner: None
Office Suite: None
Games: None
Ultra Care Option: Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution - Protect Your Dream System During Transit [+19]
CoolerMaster Thermal Fusion 400 Extreme Performance CPU - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation [+10]
Service: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
CyberpowerPc

Thanks for any help.

Post #: 24
RE: OT Monitor Help - 4/9/2011 5:56:10 AM   
Hanzberger

Oh, just added a thermal display, like 28.00 bux.
Also, FPS rating Fur benchmark 213
COD Modern WF extra FPS 149

(in reply to Hanzberger)
Post #: 25
RE: OT Monitor Help - 4/9/2011 6:04:49 AM   
junk2drive

quote:

ORIGINAL: CyrusSpitama

Unless you are dead set on getting an Intel CPU, do yourself a favor and at least browse through the AMD chipsets. The price differences can be quite amazing!

To clarify my earlier comment about cooling being an AMD issue. All computer require cooling. The AMD CPUs tend to generate nearly twice the heat as a comparable Intel CPU. All this means is sometimes an extra case fan or just being sure your existing setup is not placed in an area with lots of ambient heat. It is really not that big of a deal. What it does mean is that when you develop cooling issues, such as a failing fan, the AMD is more likely to crash than the Intel.

I have used AMDs on my last three computer builds and the only failure has been vid cards (x5) and motherboards(2x). My current PC is still using the exact same AMD CPU that I purchased almost 7 years ago. So if you have doubts about AMD reliability or durability, do not worry!

I too am wanting to upgrade but, well... work.. finances.. yadda yadda

I stumbled in here by accident but will say that I just replaced my 2002 build with an AMD Duron 1.2, not because it died but my games were getting more demanding. It would run games where an Intel 1.8 was recommended. 512k SDRAM was another factor.
My wife is using my 2004 build with a 2800+ a 2.1 with a tall fin and factory fan. Never noisy and no cooling problems.
This one is a Sempron 140 2.7 45watt that works very well and is less than $40.

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

Post #: 26
RE: OT Monitor Help - 4/9/2011 6:33:58 AM   
CyrusSpitama

Need to research a little for proper feedback but I do have a some immediate points to make

quote:

Case: * Coolermaster HAF-X Gaming Full Tower Case w/ 1x230mm Red LED Fan, 1x200mm Fans, 2xFront USB 3.0 Port [+100]

Seems like a lot for a gaming case and it only comes with the one fan? Look around for other possible options unless this particular case just *looks right*.

quote:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2600K 3.40 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)

I believe this is the most recent CPU they released? If so, you might save a lot of bucks just going back one step.

quote:

Cooling Fan: Asetek 570LX Liquid Cooling system w/ 240MM Radiator and Dual Fans (Extreme Overclocking Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) [+43]

Gotta love liquid cooling. Not familiar with this particular cooler though.

quote:

Motherboard: [CrossFireX/SLI] Asus P8P67 Deluxe Intel P67 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ UEFI, DIGI+VRM, 7.1 HD Audio, BT GO! Dual GbLAN, USB3.0, 2x SATA-III RAID, 3 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI [B3 Stepping] [+123]

With motherboards always, ALWAYS do some research on their reliability. It may be a real scorcher at first but, it may have some reliability issues.

quote:

Memory: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Kingston HyperX [+66])

If possible, go for a 4 RAM chip setup. This is in case of RAM failure at some point.

quote:

Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card [+59] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
Video Card 2: AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card [+335] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

No comment other than it seems a tad pricey and I believe it is the newest cards out by AMD?

quote:

Power Supply Upgrade: 1200 Watts - Corsair Professional Series CMPSU-AX1200 80 Plus Gold Power Supply [+252]

This PSU seems a bit excessive. Unless you have certain components demanding such a huge power supply (video cards being the big culprit here), step this down some to around the 800-900w range.

quote:

Hard Drive: 64 GB A-Data S501 V2 SATA III 6.0G/s Gaming MLC Solid State Disk [+12] (Single Hard Drive)
Data Hard Drive: 120 GB Intel 510 2.5 inch SATA III 6.0G/S Gaming MLC Solid State Disk [+335] (Single Hard Drive)

IMHO, only get a single SSD for the system. Use it as the primary hard drive for your OS. For the data drive, get a normal hard drive (SATA-3/6) for cheaper and with a considerably larger capacity.

Also, research the reliability on your manufacturer's SSD. Right now, many SSDs have a short life span. This technology is still a work in progress. Once that technology has matured, look into an external ( or add an internal yourself ) to augment your system.

All in all looks decent. The price tag scares me a bit knowing that I can typically assemble a solid system for less than 1k :) Of course, I do all my own repairs and such so...

P.S. This post was made without any proper research on my part. When I get the chance I will look deeper into it.

< Message edited by CyrusSpitama -- 4/9/2011 6:35:14 AM >

(in reply to Hanzberger)
Post #: 27
RE: OT Monitor Help - 4/9/2011 7:04:09 AM   
witpqs

There was another thread about hardware recommendations and people posted several helpful sites. One that I have been looking at lately is http://www.pcper.com/

BTW, you can probably get a ~128GB solid state drive with perhaps better performance than the 64GB and not much money difference. I have heard several times that the technology used in the larger drives is faster, and around the 128GB mark is where they start using that.

Good luck! Do let us know how it all turns out.

Post #: 28
RE: OT Monitor Help - 4/9/2011 7:11:38 AM   
CyrusSpitama

I couldn't think of other sites off the top of my head so, thanks for the help here too witpqs. I certainly don't consider myself an expert by any means !

Also, I am drinking wine so the brain is a bit fuzzy. I lost my good buddy of over 11 years this week and it is tearing me up inside. Been trying to play some AE to get my mind off him not running around my desk, pawing at me because I am playing the computer instead of petting him, etc.

I miss my lil boy very much...

Bozo the cat.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by CyrusSpitama -- 4/9/2011 7:23:32 AM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 29
RE: OT Monitor Help - 4/9/2011 1:46:39 PM   
Hanzberger

Thanks for the link witpqs, well maybe, now I am really confused on what to do. Makes me want to attempt to build my own, but that would be a first.

Sorry to hear about your loss Cyrus, I still think about my dog who I lost 20yrs ago. Only time makes it slightly better. Just remember that you and him enjoyed your time together.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT Monitor Help Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI