Matrix Games Forums

Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Riga as supply source

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Riga as supply source Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Riga as supply source - 4/4/2011 3:16:07 PM   
James Ward

Is Riga a supply source for the Germans? I mean can you move your RR repair unit to Riga and start building your rail net from there rather than buiilding from the border?
Post #: 1
RE: Riga as supply source - 4/4/2011 3:23:59 PM   
Lrfss

quote:

ORIGINAL: James Ward

Is Riga a supply source for the Germans? I mean can you move your RR repair unit to Riga and start building your rail net from there rather than buiilding from the border?

All German supply RR must connect back to the Fatherland for it to do you any good!

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 2
RE: Riga as supply source - 4/4/2011 3:54:21 PM   
Q-Ball

Even if you wanted to start RR building from Riga, you can't. You can't repair track that isn't connected to the railnet already.

Riga isn't a reliable supply source until Kuresaare falls (that port on Moon Is.). By the time it falls, you should have a RR well beyond Riga anyway if you start at the German border.

(in reply to Lrfss)
Post #: 3
RE: Riga as supply source - 4/4/2011 3:56:26 PM   
James Ward

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

Even if you wanted to start RR building from Riga, you can't. You can't repair track that isn't connected to the railnet already.

Riga isn't a reliable supply source until Kuresaare falls (that port on Moon Is.). By the time it falls, you should have a RR well beyond Riga anyway if you start at the German border.

Thanks. I had a game where my RR unit was interdicted two turns in a row and really stalled my RR building so I thought what if ....

< Message edited by James Ward -- 4/4/2011 3:57:02 PM >

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 4
RE: Riga as supply source - 4/4/2011 6:00:29 PM   
mikemcmann

All rail doesnt have to be connected to Germany.

If Leningrad is captured then cut from the German rail net, you can build FROM the finnish rail outward.

just an FYI....

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 5
RE: Riga as supply source - 4/5/2011 6:41:36 AM   
majeloz

Still can't see the value in Riga... I know some here swear by it and use creative bombing of Kuessare and port movement to get infantry in it on Turn 2 etc, but everytime I play I do the MP calculations and it always works out easier to drive east to Pskov from lower down and leave Riga to be cleaned out by 1 corps of infantry. 

I still remember cardboard!

(in reply to mikemcmann)
Post #: 6
RE: Riga as supply source - 4/5/2011 4:17:08 PM   
Ridgeway

quote:

ORIGINAL: majeloz

Still can't see the value in Riga... I know some here swear by it and use creative bombing of Kuessare and port movement to get infantry in it on Turn 2 etc, but everytime I play I do the MP calculations and it always works out easier to drive east to Pskov from lower down and leave Riga to be cleaned out by 1 corps of infantry. 

If you do the moves correctly, you can have two Pz Divs from XXXXI Corps across the Dvina and adjacent to Riga for a hasty attack on T1 (which is pretty much guaranteed to succeed). Assuming you capture the two ports on the west coast (pretty easy to do with Totenkopf), this isolates all the Russian units west of Riga. These Pz Divisions should be then be able to get to the Pskov area on T2, so I am not sure what you lose by having them take Riga on T1.

Moreover, assuming you bomb Kuressare each turn (and you might as well -- those AGN bombers dont have that many targets early in the game), you can use Riga to sealift in infantry divisions which would otherwise have to walk. This cuts off 1-2 turns from their arrival time. Finally, even though you can't run a rail line from Riga, it acts as a supply source all by itself as long as Kuressare keeps getting bombed. This should help your units in the Pskov area.

(in reply to majeloz)
Post #: 7
RE: Riga as supply source - 4/5/2011 8:12:38 PM   
Aditia

Wait, so by bombing a port you make it easier to use the port facilities? :confused:

(in reply to Ridgeway)
Post #: 8
RE: Riga as supply source - 4/5/2011 8:15:48 PM   
rekm41

No I think the place they mention (Kuressare) is another port so you are in fact suppressing it so you can use the seazone to get to Riga from other friendly ports.

Keep Moving and Keep your Head DOWN!!

(in reply to Aditia)
Post #: 9
RE: Riga as supply source - 4/5/2011 8:48:30 PM   
Mynok

It is the far left dot on the island north of Riga.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to rekm41)
Post #: 10
RE: Riga as supply source - 4/5/2011 8:57:10 PM   
rekm41

thanks that answered the question I was thinking to myself.

Keep Moving and Keep your Head DOWN!!

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 11
RE: Riga as supply source - 4/5/2011 9:14:25 PM   
Ridgeway

Yeah -- Kuressare exerts a "Port ZOC" when undamaged that blocks the sea lane to Riga. The rules are a little vague on how damaged it needs to be to to get rid of that ZOC. Also, there appears to be a bug in terms of how fast ports repair. I have found that it you whomp Kuressare at the beginning of each turn to raise the damage level above 10%, Riga works fine. You only need to do that for 3 turns or so, because by that point the rail repair should be close to caught up, and there are no more units to sealift in.

The other reason to take the ports is to prevent the Russians from sealifting its units out to Talinn and L'grad. I was able to do that as the Russians in my current PBEM (1st live opponent) -- it is nice because it saves precious RR capacity on T1 and T2.

(in reply to rekm41)
Post #: 12
RE: Riga as supply source - 4/5/2011 9:51:00 PM   
Q-Ball

If you bomb Kuressare, you can move in an Infantry Corps by ship on TURN 1; not just turn 2. That is a decent leap forward for those units! Not a huge game-changer, but every little bit helps.

(in reply to Ridgeway)
Post #: 13
RE: Riga as supply source - 4/5/2011 9:53:09 PM   
Klydon

The other consideration of marching vs sea lift is marching jacks up the fatigue on the infantry while sea lift is far easier on them. 

(in reply to Ridgeway)
Post #: 14
RE: Riga as supply source - 4/28/2011 6:55:52 PM   
Zoetermeer

But how do you get Riga to be a supply source (so that the Riga hex shows as being 0 MP from the nearest railhead/supply source)? I captured Riga on turn one, but it still shows as being around 29 MP from the nearest railhead.

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 15
RE: Riga as supply source - 4/28/2011 7:24:43 PM   
heliodorus04

I don't think that's going to happen until over-land rail connects.
I also don't think you can move an FBD and start rail-repair work there unless overland rail is adjacent (Germany's not going to put trains on ships, move them to Riga, offload, and start doing rail supply from there).

Units may draw supply from a port, though, and it will display in their supply details but I'm not sure if it will list Riga as the supply source or a German port connected to the rail, like Konigsberg for example.

(in reply to Zoetermeer)
Post #: 16
RE: Riga as supply source - 4/28/2011 7:34:33 PM   
Zoetermeer

Makes sense to me, but then how is it that Talinn becomes an instant railhead when it's captured? Shouldn't this behave the same as capturing Riga?

(in reply to heliodorus04)
Post #: 17
RE: Riga as supply source - 4/28/2011 7:36:47 PM   
Zoetermeer

Ah, I just figured it out. Bombing the Kuressare port to over 10% damage makes the Riga hex show up as being 0 MP from the nearest railhead/supply source. So I guess the port-bombing trick works.

(in reply to Zoetermeer)
Post #: 18
RE: Riga as supply source - 5/21/2011 7:45:39 PM   
Zebedee

The more I think of it, the more I'm really uneasy with the 'Riga gambit' on turn 1 using L Corps. Mostly it's because I'm not confident that L Corps and the units under it should really be active on turn 1 and/or available for transportation to Riga. My understanding is that L Armeekorps itself was OKH reserve in the military district of Berlin and the units assigned to it were still in transit to the Eastern Front from the West when Barbarossa was launched. L Armeekorps was only made available for use by AGN in July.

It's very attractive to do it, and I can see the argument that Operation Beowulf was being planned so some form of amphibious capability should be there, but... yeah, not sitting right with me personally.

(in reply to Zoetermeer)
Post #: 19
RE: Riga as supply source - 5/21/2011 8:22:08 PM   
Ketza

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zebedee

The more I think of it, the more I'm really uneasy with the 'Riga gambit' on turn 1 using L Corps. Mostly it's because I'm not confident that L Corps and the units under it should really be active on turn 1 and/or available for transportation to Riga. My understanding is that L Armeekorps itself was OKH reserve in the military district of Berlin and the units assigned to it were still in transit to the Eastern Front from the West when Barbarossa was launched. L Armeekorps was only made available for use by AGN in July.

It's very attractive to do it, and I can see the argument that Operation Beowulf was being planned so some form of amphibious capability should be there, but... yeah, not sitting right with me personally.

I dont use L corps. I use another corps thats closer to Memel.

(in reply to Zebedee)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Riga as supply source Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI