Matrix Games Forums

New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

In the market for a new game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> In the market for a new game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
In the market for a new game - 4/3/2011 11:45:21 AM   
Bill Durrant

Okay I'm ready to make my next purchase but just can't make my mind up. I spend a fair amount of time with Witp AE but want something new. Doesn't have to be less complex (isn't everything?) and open to all suggestions.

Ideas anyone? Reasoning would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sunk by 35cm/45 1YT Gun - Near Singapore
Post #: 1
RE: In the market for a new game - 4/3/2011 3:03:34 PM   
sabre1

What genre are you interested in, and what do you already have?

(in reply to Bill Durrant)
Post #: 2
RE: In the market for a new game - 4/3/2011 4:37:51 PM   
Bill Durrant

I have Witp Ae, WitP, Highway to the Reich, Battles in Normandy, Korsun Pocket, TOAW and a few others. Really want WWII but happy to explore other historical stuff. I'm not really into exploring other planets!

At the moment my leaning is towards either War in the East or Battlefield Academy - but I can be swayed!

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 3
RE: In the market for a new game - 4/3/2011 4:45:50 PM   
junk2drive

I would think that BA would be a fun diversion while waiting for turns with WitP. WitE seems to be more like WitP without the ships.

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

Post #: 4
RE: In the market for a new game - 4/3/2011 4:48:59 PM   
Slick Wilhelm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Durrant

At the moment my leaning is towards either War in the East or Battlefield Academy - but I can be swayed!

Both excellent games, but Battlefield Academy might be a little too "lite" for you if you're a hardcore grog.

For WWII, I'd recommend taking a close look at Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris. I think it's excellent, and if you have an interest in the early part of the war it's a no-brainer.

It might be a nice warm-up to getting War in the East.

If you're thinking of moving out of WWII and into some other period, I highly recommend Forge of Freedom. A very, very good hybrid grand strategy/small unit tactical game of the American Civil War.

FoF doesn't support widescreen resolutions, however, if that's a concern.

Post #: 5
RE: In the market for a new game - 4/3/2011 10:51:10 PM   
Hertston

quote:

Okay I'm ready to make my next purchase but just can't make my mind up. I spend a fair amount of time with Witp AE but want something new. Doesn't have to be less complex (isn't everything?) and open to all suggestions.

Ideas anyone? Reasoning would be appreciated.

Thanks

WitE? As you are an experienced WitP player, complexity isn't an issue so why not go for 'the' other monster game (which is actually least complex of the two)? Depends what you want, though. If you want something a bit different and are prepared to stray a little way from WW2, I'd recommend Revolution under Siege. It's the best game yet with the Ageod engine, is the first PC game to my knowledge to cover the subject matter and presents unique challenges. Nothing to lose from trying the demo, anyway.

Post #: 6
RE: In the market for a new game - 4/4/2011 1:57:38 AM   
Anthropoid

A totally different kinda suggestion: Take Comamnd Second Manassas. The best tactical simulatof I've played. $5 on Gamersgate.

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 7
RE: In the market for a new game - 4/4/2011 5:39:59 AM   
sabre1

John Tiller Campaign Series.

Battlefield Academy for fun.

Advanced Tactics, but wait for the Gold version.

I enjoy BA, but boy do I get stomped on in PBEM.

Warsay to Paris, don't own it but it looks like fun from all the posts.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 8
RE: In the market for a new game - 4/5/2011 12:34:13 AM   
Bill Durrant

Thanks for all your comments. My musings are as follow in no particular order:

Battlefield Academy:
Really like the look of this but the cartoon screenshots put me off a bit in regards that I fear it will be too simplistic - not in game mechanics but in representing units. To put that comment in perspective - I love ASL.

WitE - the complexity is not a problem but the screenshots seem to be massing one side against the other. Reminds me of the war of attrition in Russia that seemed to be played out in Third Reich?

Decisive Campaigns - I like the look of this a lot. What other campaigns are planned for release?

Forge of Freedom - never really got into ACW - more my lack of historical knowledge than the subject matter

Revolution Under Seige - doesn't look like my sort of thing

John Tiller Campaigns - sorry but just don't like the units on discs graphics

Advanced Tactics - would have to wait for Gold but looks good. I presume there will be a lot of historical mods when this is released?

More confused than ever so any more information greatly received. BTW will be buying from Matrix as they have given me many hours of pleasure and I feel they deserve my loyalty.

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 9
RE: In the market for a new game - 4/5/2011 1:13:24 AM   
Joe D.

quote:

I have Witp Ae, WitP, Highway to the Reich ...

Battles from the Bulge, by the same developers that gave us HttR's game engine, and it also won an award for its AI.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

Post #: 10
RE: In the market for a new game - 4/5/2011 1:27:00 AM   
NefariousKoel

Decisive Campaigns: Warsaw To Paris

How bout some operational WW2 with a unique but not overbearing system? Yet not a big departure from other hex based games. Hrmm?

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 11
RE: In the market for a new game - 4/5/2011 2:12:35 AM   
Anthropoid

At $5 for TC2M you can hardly go wrong with that one!

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 12
RE: In the market for a new game - 4/5/2011 4:43:16 AM   
sabre1

Go for the double win, Decisive Campaigns, followed by AT Gold when it's released.

There is Combat Command if you are into retro, with JMass's map upgrades looks pretty good, and lots of scenarios, but it is an old game. I just happen to like the scale of 500 meters, and phased movements/commands. It is cheaper too.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 13
RE: In the market for a new game - 4/5/2011 4:45:25 AM   
sabre1

If you like board game type pc games, there is always Schwerpunkt games too. RGW, AGW, MDE.

Check out his forum on the Wargamer. They are shall we say an acquired taste, due to the UI, but highly researched and tons of scnearios from tiny to massive campaign.

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> In the market for a new game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI