The Forgotten Soldier

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Zoetermeer

The Forgotten Soldier

Post by Zoetermeer »

Wow. If you ever want to know what life was really like on the ground in the Eastern Front (from the perspective of a German soldier), read this. Fascinating and horrifying at the same time. What an impressive book. I haven't finished yet, but I've just gotten to the part where he's been incorporated into the Gross Deutschland.

Also, the first part of the book is a great look at what it really must have been like for the Rollbahn. Now I feel like I really know what's going on in those hexes between the railheads and the front!

I really wish somebody in Hollywood would read this and turn it into either a long movie or a Band of Brothers-like series. The first half almost has a Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now-like feel to it -- first Poland, then Minsk, Kiev, Kharkov, Voronezh, then the front. Each stop gets progressively more chaotic and hellish.
PaulWRoberts

RE: The Forgotten Soldier

Post by PaulWRoberts »

Don't some people question Sajer's truthfulness in this account?
marcpennington

Post by marcpennington »

My memory (admittedly vague), is that while Sajer did lie about what unit he was in to cover up the fact he was in the SS (the Wiking division?), his account in general is still used as a reliable source for details of the period.
Berkut

Post by Berkut »

Sajer's book was challenged on historical grounds on many occasions, but I think the general consensus has settled that he probably was who he said he was, and as he stated he never intended (or cared) to write a historically accurate account from the standpoint of when/where/what, but simply to recount his memoirs as he remembered them. So there are some details that are probably wrong, because he just didn't remember them correctly, and never bothered with any fact checking.

But the "truth" of The Forgotten Soldier has very little to do with the literal truth of the events that it relates.
WilliePete

Post by WilliePete »

coincidentally, I just finished reading the book myself. It's a great read, but like you said it may not be 100% accurate. One possible inaccuracy is that he talks about Hitler Youth units marching by him at Belgorod during Kursk carrying signs that read "Young Lions" and "The world belongs to us." I thought that Hitler Youth first fought with the 12SS at Normandy, right?

Either way, it's still a good book.
- They That Sow The Wind, Shall Reap The Whirlwind -
marty_01

Post by marty_01 »

Great book.
Lrfss

Post by Lrfss »

ORIGINAL: marty_01

Great book.

Have 1st Edition not for sale...signed...Blue/Greenish Hard Cover no Wrap though a great book...
Remmes

Post by Remmes »

It is on my night table right now, great read. There should be a movie coming out in the future.
jhdeerslayer

Post by jhdeerslayer »

Great read for sure.
hfarrish

Post by hfarrish »

Is the comment re: a movie a hope or an actual fact that there is something in production? That would be great. Picked up the book when I was 14 or so and its always had a solid place on my shelf.
Lanconic

Post by Lanconic »

There is a movie and the trailers are online. It looks even better than 'The Cross of Iron'

An exercise in depression if you are looking for German victories.

However, if you ever wonder what it was like, to be outside Beograd, on July 4th 1943
That information is there.

The book is NOT a historical reference, the author never made such a claim.
The way of all flesh
Bearcat2

Post by Bearcat2 »

The movie was cancelled in july 2009; backers ran out of money
"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: Lrfss

Great book.

Have 1st Edition not for sale...signed...Blue/Greenish Hard Cover no Wrap though a great book...

Whooo, that's something special.

I agree with the idea that he was actually SS and not GD. It fits a little better that way.
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

Some vivid characters in that one. "The Veteran" was he a physical person or a character of all veterans ?

Ron Swanson
Blond_Knight

Post by Blond_Knight »

I always pictured "The Veteran" looking like James Coburn in COI or Clint Eastwood.
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

That's funny, I could never put a face on the guy. Just a uniform, a weapon, an outline. Dunno about him.

Ron Swanson
barkman44

Post by barkman44 »

Have read it 3 times, the first time in one sitting.As for authenticity if he made up the story would'nt he have bumped up his kill #'s,as far as i can recall he only shot one russian that he mentions during the whole war.
Lrfss

Post by Lrfss »

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

ORIGINAL: Lrfss

Great book.

Whooo, that's something special.

I agree with the idea that he was actually SS and not GD. It fits a little better that way.
He was in the Waffen SS, though I don't recall which unit as it's been like 25 yrs plus or so since I rec'vd the signed book from a former Das Reich member friend who passed away long since. They would go to the reunions and such and of of course slam warm beer and tell war stories, etc. [&o]
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: barkorn45
Have read it 3 times, the first time in one sitting.As for authenticity if he made up the story would'nt he have bumped up his kill #'s,as far as i can recall he only shot one russian that he mentions during the whole war.

I don't know about authenticity, but I read somewhere that only 5% of soldiers killed anyone, same with fighter pilots, where most of the 'kills' were achieved by a few aces. So that part could be authentic. [:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

I believe the writer had serious credibility problems IFF the book is taken as historical.

However, It provides geat "feel" as to being on the receiving end of the Russian Steamroller!

In a similar vein, what are the views as to Paul Carell's works?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”