Matrix Games Forums

Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets huge update and a Steam release!Battle Academy 2 opens up a new front!Flashpoint Campaigns Featured on weekly Streaming SessionFrontline: The Longest Day - New Screenshots!Deal of the Week: Hannibal Rome and CarthageFlashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets Players Edition!To End All Wars gets its first major patch! Hell is now available!War in the West Wacht am Rhein AAR Deal of the Week Panzer Corps: Allied Corps
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Forum brethern in DC or Charlottesville?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Forum brethern in DC or Charlottesville? Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Forum brethern in DC or Charlottesville? - 3/22/2011 7:35:25 PM   
AW1Steve

I'll be traveling in two weeks, spending time in Washington DC,Charlottesville VA and Morgantown WV. If we have a any brethern available in those areas I'd be happy to buy you a drink.

"Geezerhood is a state of mind, attained by being largely out of yours". AW1Steve

"Quit whining and play the game. Or go home". My 7th grade baseball coach. It applies well to WITP AE players.
Post #: 1
RE: Forum brethern in DC or Charlottesville? - 3/22/2011 10:03:18 PM   
madflava13

I live just outside DC in Northern Virginia... Depending on the day and time, I may be able to do something.

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 2
RE: Forum brethern in DC or Charlottesville? - 3/22/2011 11:08:53 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: madflava13

I live just outside DC in Northern Virginia... Depending on the day and time, I may be able to do something.

Yes , I know Alexandria very, very well. I've lived nearly 9 out of the past 15 years there. Cafe Rustico for a beer maybe? Or one of the many,many pubs in Old Town?

"Geezerhood is a state of mind, attained by being largely out of yours". AW1Steve

"Quit whining and play the game. Or go home". My 7th grade baseball coach. It applies well to WITP AE players.

(in reply to madflava13)
Post #: 3
RE: Forum brethern in DC or Charlottesville? - 3/23/2011 1:10:30 PM   
AW1Steve

Bump!

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 4
RE: Forum brethern in DC or Charlottesville? - 3/23/2011 5:10:10 PM   
denisonh

I live in Alexandria Steve and would love to have drink and catch up on the goings on in the fiorum having just returned from a year in Afghanistan, but unfortunately am now recovering from open heart surgery so nogo. Maybe next time

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 5
RE: Forum brethern in DC or Charlottesville? - 3/23/2011 6:14:39 PM   
HercMighty

I am in Charlottesville VA...

(in reply to denisonh)
Post #: 6
RE: Forum brethern in DC or Charlottesville? - 3/24/2011 12:17:12 AM   
PzB

I'm going to Stamford, NY on Saturday - will stay a week before moving on to Houston for 2 more weeks.
Planning to see the Intrepid, Yorktown and maybe the USS Texas as well as an airfield museum and maybe take a flight in a warbird in the Houston area
- Let me know if anyone's interested and located nearby

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without"
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to HercMighty)
Post #: 7
RE: Forum brethern in DC or Charlottesville? - 3/24/2011 2:28:59 AM   
Mynok

Did you PM Nikademus? He's not been around in a bit so he might be on his way to Houston.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to PzB)
Post #: 8
RE: Forum brethern in DC or Charlottesville? - 3/24/2011 2:41:22 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: denisonh

I live in Alexandria Steve and would love to have drink and catch up on the goings on in the fiorum having just returned from a year in Afghanistan, but unfortunately am now recovering from open heart surgery so nogo. Maybe next time

I'm glad you are back, but sorry to hear you are somewhat under the weather. Get well. I'm sure I'll be back in the next year or two, so lets give it a rain check.

(in reply to denisonh)
Post #: 9
RE: Forum brethern in DC or Charlottesville? - 3/24/2011 2:42:21 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: HercMighty

Then we definately need to meet for a drink or two!

(in reply to HercMighty)
Post #: 10
RE: Forum brethern in DC or Charlottesville? - 3/24/2011 7:00:34 PM   
PzB

Ouch, hope you're well on your way to getting well again!
Nothing to do with you time in Afghanistan?

quote:

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without"
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to denisonh)
Post #: 11
RE: Forum brethern in DC or Charlottesville? - 3/24/2011 7:02:44 PM   
PzB

No I haven't; thought I might see him around but I can drop him a line!

I'm counting my blessings and want to go for a ride in a warbird..a 2 seat Mustang is on the top of my list
Also found that its possible to book flights in a Dauntless dive bomber, B-17, B-24 and B-29
- The grin will become permanently plastered to my face..

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

Did you PM Nikademus? He's not been around in a bit so he might be on his way to Houston.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 12
RE: Forum brethern in DC or Charlottesville? - 3/24/2011 11:44:15 PM   
USS Henrico

I'm in Charlottesville as well.

I'm also Chickenboy's "other" PBEM campaign opponent. We met in Northern Virginia for dinner last night and had a good time.

(in reply to PzB)
Post #: 13
RE: Forum brethern in DC or Charlottesville? - 3/25/2011 12:07:59 AM   
AW1Steve

Then we definately need to get together for a beer or three. How about a "Charlottesville summit?" Any good ideas for places? I'll nominate the "Horse and hound". Anybody else interested?

(in reply to USS Henrico)
Post #: 14
RE: Forum brethern in DC or Charlottesville? - 3/25/2011 1:53:16 AM   
stuman

quote:

Thanks for your service denisonh, and sorry to hear about the surgery.

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

(in reply to denisonh)
Post #: 15
RE: Forum brethern in DC or Charlottesville? - 3/25/2011 2:08:06 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Say "Hi" to Mr. Jefferson for me.

The Moose

(in reply to HercMighty)
Post #: 16
RE: Forum brethern in DC or Charlottesville? - 3/25/2011 2:43:08 AM   
USS Henrico

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

Then we definately need to get together for a beer or three. How about a "Charlottesville summit?" Any good ideas for places? I'll nominate the "Horse and hound". Anybody else interested?

I will mention the nearby Wild Wing Cafe as it is a personal favorite and a reminder of our mutual opponent Chickenboy.

But I'll cheerfully go with the Horsey Hounds.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 17
RE: Forum brethern in DC or Charlottesville? - 3/25/2011 2:44:35 AM   
USS Henrico

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

He's "TJ" to the natives.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 18
RE: Forum brethern in DC or Charlottesville? - 3/25/2011 3:31:13 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS Henrico

quote:

I will mention the nearby Wild Wing Cafe as it is a personal favorite and a reminder of our mutual opponent Chickenboy.

That's the one near the Barracks road shopping center? Just down from the UVA law school? That works for me.

Post #: 19
RE: Forum brethern in DC or Charlottesville? - 3/25/2011 5:17:50 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

quote:

He's "TJ" to the natives.

Only the townies.

The Moose

Post #: 20
RE: Forum brethern in DC or Charlottesville? - 3/25/2011 6:30:39 PM   
AW1Steve

Shameless bump!

Post #: 21
RE: Forum brethern in DC or Charlottesville? - 3/26/2011 12:02:39 AM   
USS Henrico

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's the one near the Barracks road shopping center? Just down from the UVA law school? That works for me.

The one at Barracks Road is Buffalo Wild Wings. Wild Wing Cafe is next to the Amtrak train station on Main Street.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 22
RE: Forum brethern in DC or Charlottesville? - 3/26/2011 1:46:35 AM   
bradfordkay

Is The Virginian still across the street from the rotunda?

I haven't been to C-ville in 25 years, so the places I remember may not still exist - but this is Virginia we are talking about, a state which resists change!

fair winds,
Brad

Post #: 23
RE: Forum brethern in DC or Charlottesville? - 3/26/2011 4:56:23 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

I haven't been to C-ville in 25 years, so the places I remember may not still exist - but this is Virginia we are talking about, a state which resists change!

I was there four years ago, and I think the Virginian is gone. The Corner looked very different than I remembered. Don't recall there being a Poe's anymore, and every place seemed to be serving bean sprouts.

OTOH, the White Spot was still cranking out Gusburgers, although the hunchbacked guy wasn't making the fries anymore.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 3/26/2011 4:57:37 AM >

The Moose

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 24
RE: Forum brethern in DC or Charlottesville? - 3/26/2011 7:52:13 AM   
bradfordkay

quote:

quote:

I was there four years ago, and I think the Virginian is gone. The Corner looked very different than I remembered. Don't recall there being a Poe's anymore, and every place seemed to be serving bean sprouts.

OTOH, the White Spot was still cranking out Gusburgers, although the hunchbacked guy wasn't making the fries anymore.

Wow... no Poe's either? This is sad...

fair winds,
Brad

Post #: 25
RE: Forum brethern in DC or Charlottesville? - 3/26/2011 3:33:59 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Wow... no Poe's either? This is sad...

Yeah. Their "Three longnecks for a buck" promotion was a key attraction on non-fraternity nights. A cheap date destination as it were.

We ate in a bar/restaurant about where Poe's should have been, so I think the space is still in use, but the name is diferent, and the menu was very "California girl chic" versus the grease.

I was a huge devotee of the White Spot (I liked to watch the Med Schoolers and the residents on 100-hour shifts try to stay awake during their 15 minute Gusburger breaks.) It was the place to go after the frat parties ended at 0200. A Gus and fries before bed and it was possible to be up and studying by 1000. I was young, once.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 3/26/2011 3:35:20 PM >

The Moose

Post #: 26
RE: Forum brethern in DC or Charlottesville? - 3/27/2011 3:45:59 PM   
AW1Steve

I'm pretty sure the Virginian is still there, I went to it a year ago. Maybe a different one , or it moved to a different location. Here is the link to it's site. Maybe you can tell if it's the same one. http://www.virginianrestaurant.com/thevirginian/

Post #: 27
RE: Forum brethern in DC or Charlottesville? - 3/27/2011 5:37:31 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

I'm pretty sure the Virginian is still there, I went to it a year ago. Maybe a different one , or it moved to a different location. Here is the link to it's site. Maybe you can tell if it's the same one. http://www.virginianrestaurant.com/thevirginian/

I'll be hornswoggled! That's the place where we ate four years ago. I thought it had changed its name. We sat in a booth about midway.

In college I only went in there once, didn't eat. It was the HQ of a lot of post-hippie-era LSD-using, Asleep at the Wheel-listening 7-year-plan undergrads. Poe's was a couple of doors down, a bar more than a restaurant, and I went there when I wasn't drinking at the frat house. I remember The Virginian as being more bar than restaurant, but it's definitely the latter these days.

Thanks for the link. Good memories.

The Moose

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 28
RE: Forum brethern in DC or Charlottesville? - 3/27/2011 5:43:03 PM   
bradfordkay

Thanks, Steve... that's the same one, in the same location it has occupied forever. You have restored my faith in the Old Dominion.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 29
RE: Forum brethern in DC or Charlottesville? - 3/29/2011 5:22:41 PM   
vinc0net

Hi all,
Interesting to hear that quite a few witp players are in Charlottesville or visiting. Could people tell more about their link to C'ville or its university ? I was a graduate student there 20 years ago (GSEAS) and go back occasionally, for consulting or as visitor. I am now in Europe with a faculty position in the field of... AI, games and simulation (!)
Cheers,
Vincent

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Forum brethern in DC or Charlottesville? Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI