Matrix Games Forums

Buzz Aldrins Space Program Manager is now available!Space Program Manager gets mini-site and Twitch SessionBuzz Aldrin: Ask Me Anything (AMA) on redditDeal of the week Fantasy Kommander: Eukarion WarsSpace Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New player saying hello and looking for some advice at the same time.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> New player saying hello and looking for some advice at the same time. Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New player saying hello and looking for some advice at ... - 3/22/2011 2:11:41 PM   
Yskonyn

Hello everyone!

I've had WitP:AE for some time now (got it when the Matrix sale was going on), but it was always left on the 'I still need to sit down properly and take a good look at it'-pile. That has resulted in not touching it after a brief look right after I downloaded it.
However, I am now keen on taking some serious effort to try to get to terms with playing this beast.
I am no wargame expert by any means. I have no military experience whatsoever. I just enjoy wargames; have been playing them since high school and the WW2 era takes a special interest for me.

Armed with 'The World War 2 Desk Reference', some encyclopedias on aircraft, ships and weapons, the WitP:AE manual and these boards I should be set to start, should I not?

Here comes the first problem; The manual is an extensive listing of what each and every screen and button does, which makes it rather tough to get through trying to read it from cover to cover, not to mention in bed after a day's work! ;)

From what I gather from these boards the mentioned tutorial in the manual was never finished and people generally suggest to read through some AAR's to get up to speed.
All fine and well, but even Sardaukar's Newbie tutorial expects you to know how to navigate around the game's many menu's already in advance.

Which chapters of the manual would you think would be 'need to know' (keep a starting player in mind) and which chapters would you label 'nice to know'?
The goal is to get me engaged in the game as quickly as possible, obviously. ;)

Yskonyn -

Laptop: Intel Core i5-2430M 2.4Ghz, Nvidia GTX520M, 8GB RAM, Win 7 64bit

Desktop: Intel i5 4670K 3.4Ghz, Nvidia GTX780, 16GB RAM, Win 8.1 64bit
Post #: 1
RE: New player saying hello and looking for some advice... - 3/22/2011 2:19:22 PM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yskonyn

Hello everyone!

I've had WitP:AE for some time now (got it when the Matrix sale was going on), but it was always left on the 'I still need to sit down properly and take a good look at it'-pile. That has resulted in not touching it after a brief look right after I downloaded it.
However, I am now keen on taking some serious effort to try to get to terms with playing this beast.
I am no wargame expert by any means. I have no military experience whatsoever. I just enjoy wargames; have been playing them since high school and the WW2 era takes a special interest for me.

Armed with 'The World War 2 Desk Reference', some encyclopedias on aircraft, ships and weapons, the WitP:AE manual and these boards I should be set to start, should I not?

Here comes the first problem; The manual is an extensive listing of what each and every screen and button does, which makes it rather tough to get through trying to read it from cover to cover, not to mention in bed after a day's work! ;)

From what I gather from these boards the mentioned tutorial in the manual was never finished and people generally suggest to read through some AAR's to get up to speed.
All fine and well, but even Sardaukar's Newbie tutorial expects you to know how to navigate around the game's many menu's already in advance.

Which chapters of the manual would you think would be 'need to know' (keep a starting player in mind) and which chapters would you label 'nice to know'?
The goal is to get me engaged in the game as quickly as possible, obviously. ;)

Welcome and you can try my rather hasty and fuzzy video tutorials
http://sites.google.com/site/n01487477/Home?pli=1

Cheers

-Damian-
EconDoc
TrackerAE
Tutes&Java

(in reply to Yskonyn)
Post #: 2
RE: New player saying hello and looking for some advice... - 3/22/2011 2:39:54 PM   
Yskonyn

Hi Damian, thank you very much for the link and the effort you have put into making them!
Are they meant to be watched in order from top to bottom?

Yskonyn -

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 3
RE: New player saying hello and looking for some advice... - 3/22/2011 2:45:51 PM   
GreyJoy

Welcome!
I started couple of weeks ago, so i'm a noob too!
I'd suggest you to read everything you can here of these boards and then simply start playing the guadacanal scenario vs Jap AI. this should help you to understand the basic mechanism of the game.
Then, playing, you should have the manual with you...try to move the Task forces already present around, set some air missions and see how it goes...

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 4
RE: New player saying hello and looking for some advice... - 3/22/2011 3:08:28 PM   
jeffk3510

Yskonyn - glad to have you aboard. Reading AARs and asking a lot of questions on the forums are a few of the ways I started. I read a lot of the AARs, which has helped me more than anything I would say. Don't be afraid to play the small scenarios as well. Ask and read away!

I didn't really read the manual front to back....I go to it when I am stuck on something during the game......

< Message edited by jeffk3510 -- 3/22/2011 3:09:07 PM >

Follow our WiTPAE team PBEM game against bilbow and hartwig.modrow http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2965846&mpage=1&key=?

Follow my WITPAE PBEM game against Schanilec. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3495605

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5
RE: New player saying hello and looking for some advice... - 3/22/2011 6:47:24 PM   
anarchyintheuk

Welcome aboard. I played through 1000 Mile War and Guadacanal. By the time I finished them I felt I had the ability to do everything that was needed to play, except Japanese production (which is kind of a science by itself).

As stated above, don't be afraid to ask questions.

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 6
RE: New player saying hello and looking for some advice... - 3/22/2011 7:58:18 PM   
Rob Brennan UK

quote:

which is kind of a science by itself

More like witchcraft imo.

sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 7
RE: New player saying hello and looking for some advice... - 3/22/2011 8:29:01 PM   
AW1Steve

It's not so much that the manual was never finished, but that Matrix is constantly improving the game. I'd vastly prefer to have them continue their good work, then stop so they can keep the manual up to date. Think of the forum as an "Electronic interpersonal manual with a personality".

Welcome aboard, and keep coming back!

"Geezerhood is a state of mind, attained by being largely out of yours". AW1Steve

"Quit whining and play the game. Or go home". My 7th grade baseball coach. It applies well to WITP AE players.

(in reply to Rob Brennan UK)
Post #: 8
RE: New player saying hello and looking for some advice... - 3/22/2011 9:44:24 PM   
Yskonyn

Thanks for the welcome, guys.
I will start with Guadalcanal and go from there. Questions will certainly pop up as I go.

Yskonyn -

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 9
RE: New player saying hello and looking for some advice... - 3/23/2011 1:34:45 AM   
sdhundt

Welcome, but in this forum you better keep an eye on your SIX-O'CLOCK. I'll play any new player at least once, someone has to give new players a chance to get experience. So when you are ready for a pbem game PM me and we can play Coral Sea, it's only a few turns and it gets your feet very bloody very quickly.

(in reply to Yskonyn)
Post #: 10
RE: New player saying hello and looking for some advice... - 3/23/2011 2:52:01 AM   
sdhundt

And just a few early tips. the game is GREAT but the manual can be very vague on some important aspects of the game. When and if you don't understand something just ask in here and most veteran players will gladly help. But there a few so called Matrix Veterans who would rather attack you instead of answering a question. They think they own this forum. You will be able to figure out who the jerks are very quickly. Also the search for the forum is awful. You can try searching by using the yahoo searcher but instead just ask myself or another player who won't give you ****. Most important is have fun with it and I'll answer any question you have no matter how "newbie" it might be, BANZAI !

(in reply to sdhundt)
Post #: 11
RE: New player saying hello and looking for some advice... - 3/23/2011 11:36:04 AM   
Yskonyn

Thanks, that's reassuring. Most forum search functions are crap.

On thing question right away:
Is it normal that you sometimes have almost no orders to give units after one turn cycle (Turn Cycle set to 1 day)? Or are there always things you need to check up on every day? For example in the Guadalcanal scenario it'll take my TF from the East a few days to get into position with not much left to do in the mean time other than setup air patrols. But it gives me the feeling I should have taken advantage of my Orders phase better when I cant find any orders to give. I must have missed something, I think then.

< Message edited by Yskonyn -- 3/23/2011 11:38:41 AM >

Yskonyn -

(in reply to sdhundt)
Post #: 12
RE: New player saying hello and looking for some advice... - 3/23/2011 1:29:39 PM   
sdhundt

Yes, after you give orders to every unit that needs orders then it might be several turns before you need to do anything of great substance.  Having said that "I" always go back over most units every turn to make sure I didn't miss anything.  This is easy to do in a short game but in a GC I just usually make sure my TF's are still headed to the correct locations and to make sure they aren't headed into dangerous waters that might not have been dangerous the last turn.

(in reply to Yskonyn)
Post #: 13
RE: New player saying hello and looking for some advice... - 3/23/2011 1:44:25 PM   
ny59giants

Waypoints are your friend. Against the AI, you will get away with not setting them. In a PBEM game, you will learn a hard lesson.

CV TF get checked every day. They are way to valuable to ignore and you can have months of prep go down the drain if they get caught by surprise.

Once you get comfortable with the game system, you can check on your pilot training once or twice per month to harvest pilots. Some players hate this micro-management, but if you don't do it, then you will have trouble in the air war.

(in reply to sdhundt)
Post #: 14
RE: New player saying hello and looking for some advice... - 3/23/2011 2:24:28 PM   
jeffk3510

Yskonyn - I don't know what sdhunts problem is but:

1. You won't be attacked by forum members for simply asking for help or anything else. Veteran or not
2. The search function DOES actually work

Follow our WiTPAE team PBEM game against bilbow and hartwig.modrow http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2965846&mpage=1&key=?

Follow my WITPAE PBEM game against Schanilec. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3495605

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 15
RE: New player saying hello and looking for some advice... - 3/23/2011 2:38:58 PM   
Misconduct

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

1. You won't be attacked by forum members for simply asking for help or anything else. Veteran or not

Were all just a big group of war gamers trying to fully understand this game, as for every group
there always is one person like sdhunt that's a nuisance. They do have a little green circle next to "buddy" thats used to ignore someone, sadly I have actually had to use it on this board for the first time.

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 16
RE: New player saying hello and looking for some advice... - 3/23/2011 2:46:42 PM   
sdhundt

Yskonyn, here is a perfect example of forum members making attacks.  You will have to decide for yourself on what advice to take from some members.

(in reply to Misconduct)
Post #: 17
RE: New player saying hello and looking for some advice... - 3/23/2011 2:53:18 PM   
Misconduct

quote:

Thanks, that's reassuring. Most forum search functions are crap.

On thing question right away:
Is it normal that you sometimes have almost no orders to give units after one turn cycle (Turn Cycle set to 1 day)? Or are there always things you need to check up on every day? For example in the Guadalcanal scenario it'll take my TF from the East a few days to get into position with not much left to do in the mean time other than setup air patrols. But it gives me the feeling I should have taken advantage of my Orders phase better when I cant find any orders to give. I must have missed something, I think then.

Its possible and it does happen to have no orders in a small scenario and even in some large scenarios. There are times when I have no orders to give for an entire week (6-7 turns), you simply have to check the map and make sure everybody is where they should be going, for example your most important thing to watch is carriers and intel, last thing you want is to be moving units around (Ships, planes) and have the KB show up unexpectedly while you believe they are elsewhere.

A quick review like checking to see if your carriers are going where they are suppose to go, submarines and other units I tend to not watch over so much as we already have enough to watch over in this game (submarines are simple in a sense you tell them to patrol for X amount of days then they return home) or I don't even use patrols because they tend to come back with a full load of torpedoes, so you basically send them to a hex where the supply lanes are and when they use up their torpedoes they come home on their own.

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7

(in reply to Yskonyn)
Post #: 18
RE: New player saying hello and looking for some advice... - 3/23/2011 2:58:25 PM   
Yskonyn

Thanks for the input everyone!
I would appreciate that everyone keeps personal attacks out of this thread, please and keep things on topic. It prevents nastyness which seems to have begun rearing its head here right now. Please digress.

I think part of the 'problem' with my so-called 'uneasyness', if you will, in playing this game is all the expectations you have from it. :P It has a tendency to trigger some paranoid feelings in my head, making sure I did check up on everything I know for now given a certain turn.
Its reassuring to know that I can give it some more room though.

More questions will no doubt follow.

Yskonyn -

(in reply to sdhundt)
Post #: 19
RE: New player saying hello and looking for some advice... - 3/23/2011 3:28:35 PM   
jeffk3510

You will eventually have a mental checklist that you will go through and it will all workout...mine is mental/paper

(in reply to Yskonyn)
Post #: 20
RE: New player saying hello and looking for some advice... - 3/23/2011 3:34:49 PM   
sdhundt

It might be painful but the best knowledge you sometimes gain is when you make a huge mistake that costs you some very valuable assets, such as a CV task force.  When you do something that costs you huge or if you forget to do something that again costs you a valuable fighting unit you tend to remember that mistake and then you will have learned to never do it again.....I very much agree with your nastiness comment.  This forum is for everyone, not just the ones who think they own it.

(in reply to Yskonyn)
Post #: 21
RE: New player saying hello and looking for some advice... - 3/23/2011 3:49:40 PM   
Sardaukar

BTW, if it's not mentioned, Search function works if you tick "Less precise match" inder the text field. At least works fine for me that way.

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 3/23/2011 3:51:04 PM >

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to sdhundt)
Post #: 22
RE: New player saying hello and looking for some advice... - 3/23/2011 3:57:04 PM   
offenseman

quote:

I think part of the 'problem' with my so-called 'uneasyness', if you will, in playing this game is all the expectations you have from it. :P It has a tendency to trigger some paranoid feelings in my head, making sure I did check up on everything I know for now given a certain turn.
Its reassuring to know that I can give it some more room though.

More questions will no doubt follow.

In the GC you will forget things and set a unit to do something it should not from time to time. There is so much to do that it is not really possible to go without missing something. Things like this are forgetting to set a TF to unload, and other easy to miss details. As far as a paranoid feeling, I have heard that from others and experienced it myself. I think that is another product of having so much to do. Sometimes I sit there trying to remember what it was that I "forgot". Eventually I have to force myself to end turn and send it to my opponents. Hoping, of course, that I really hadn't missed something important.

Sometimes things said in Nitwit sound very different in English.

(in reply to Yskonyn)
Post #: 23
RE: New player saying hello and looking for some advice... - 3/23/2011 3:59:58 PM   
rockmedic109

You might want to go through the Readme files.  They contain a lot of little gems and changes that you might want {need?} to know about.  The support for this game is phenomenal and many small game changes take place in updates. 

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 24
RE: New player saying hello and looking for some advice... - 3/23/2011 4:51:20 PM   
nashvillen

I keep a yellow note pad on a clipboard next to my keyboard when running a turn and keep notes on things that come up during the turn to take care of. When the turn is done, I send the combat file off to my opponent (I am a JFB) and then run tracker on the turn as it exists now. I use tracker to see if there is anything else I need to do with either alerts or my industrial aspects.

I use numerous spreadsheets to keep track of operations. What units are set to go where, and after that operation is done, where they are going to next, and then again where they are going to after that. I hope to keep a fast pace. In my current game with rjopel I didn't do that and am losing the initiative in September 1942 and not taking everything I wanted to. If I had just kept things moving, it would have been quicker and I would have had more opportunities. I spent too much time moving units hither and yon!

My next game should be better, I am currently working on setting that up now. It is taking a lot of time to do as I have stuff spread all over and I am glad my opponent, rusty1961, is patient!

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 25
RE: New player saying hello and looking for some advice... - 3/23/2011 5:00:11 PM   
sdhundt

As the Allies, at least for the first year when your units are limited, you might not need to write everything down but from what I can see here if you are playing the Japs. it's much more daunting of a task so a lot of note taking and planning is needed.

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 26
RE: New player saying hello and looking for some advice... - 3/23/2011 5:12:01 PM   
mg62

I play as Allies against the AI Japanese.   When I started I didn't worry about every detail.  For example I am into the summer of '43 in my GC and have really not focused on the Pilot Training.  Playing against the AI is easier and allows for some inefficient handling of your forces.

I am getting ready to start a new GC and will work on the Pilot Training in this new GC. 

Also I think everyone has thier own tracking sheet or method of play.  I always start a turn by reviewing combat/op reports and intell (although the intel is less of an issue for me in at this stage of my GC).  I then work counter clockwise arround the map starting in China ending up on the West Coast & Cent Pac.  Some tasks I handle on a weekly basis; like sub patrols.

All in all this game has kept me interested for several years.  I had WitP for a couple of years and now find AE an excellent challenge.

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 27
RE: New player saying hello and looking for some advice... - 3/23/2011 5:26:55 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

It works OK with the less-than-precise box checked. It doesn't work as well as it used to before the forum redesign. However, as several helpful posters have outlined in other threads, Google works VERY well for searching the archives if you instruct it properly. I use Google most of the time these days.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 3/23/2011 5:39:41 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 28
RE: New player saying hello and looking for some advice... - 3/23/2011 5:31:44 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Thanks for the welcome, guys.
I will start with Guadalcanal and go from there. Questions will certainly pop up as I go.

As others hve said, welcome.

A suggestion: if you're haivng trouble with basic switchology and button pushing the Guad. scenario might be a hill too far. I'd start with Coral Sea and 1000-Mile and work up. They will allow layering of knowledge. Guad dumps you right into amphib ops, sub ops, intense air ops, etc. from the get-go. It's also long enough for you to get in the middle with a pretty substantial time commitment and realize you have no idea why certain things are happening. That way brings frustration.

The manual is dense, but an excellent resource as you learn. Start at the beginnning and read through Section 5.0 inclusive. Ignore hotkeys for now; do everything the hard way. That will give you enough to get through the two scenarios above. I don't think AARs are that useful until you have a basic grasp of what the game does, and what it doesn't do for you.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 3/23/2011 5:40:15 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to Yskonyn)
Post #: 29
RE: New player saying hello and looking for some advice... - 3/23/2011 5:58:08 PM   
OldGuard1970

Welcome!

You mentioned some of the uneasiness and worry that comes from not having your arms around all of the details... You are quite right!  However, the AI does a fine job as a sparring partner to help you learn the basics and become generally comfortable with the routines that will work for you.

I think all of the old hands have come to recognize a player will never master all of the details of this game, so do not fret. 

I find this game to be astonishing in its ability to capture a player's intense interest and focus.  Once you move into PBEM, the tension rises to incredible levels.  What Fun!

"Rangers Lead the Way!"

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> New player saying hello and looking for some advice at the same time. Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI