Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Harpoon Pasive SOnar Modeling

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> Harpoon Pasive SOnar Modeling Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Harpoon Pasive SOnar Modeling - 3/22/2011 5:03:23 AM   
parnold

I have been a player of Harpoon for many years now dating back to the DOS days. Recently I re-found Harpoon and bought the Commanders Edition. One thing that I noticed is that passive sonar seems to be much more limited.

An example:
I created a simple scenario where a Seawolf sub and a Victor 3 were at inter level and both paths pointed at each other. I set the Victor to Cruise and the Seawolf to creep. The Seawolf did not detect the Victor until about 20 nm out. It then lost the contact and picked it up at 14 nm out. It did not get a fix until about 5 nm out. This is using the HDS3 Battleset.

The scenario plays out even worse using a Foxtrot, which seems undetectable unless you just about run over it.

Have the rules been tightened up since the old days?
Post #: 1
RE: Harpoon Pasive SOnar Modeling - 3/22/2011 9:50:36 AM   
bilbo8888

quote:

ORIGINAL: parnold

I have been a player of Harpoon for many years now dating back to the DOS days. Recently I re-found Harpoon and bought the Commanders Edition. One thing that I noticed is that passive sonar seems to be much more limited.

An example:
I created a simple scenario where a Seawolf sub and a Victor 3 were at inter level and both paths pointed at each other. I set the Victor to Cruise and the Seawolf to creep. The Seawolf did not detect the Victor until about 20 nm out. It then lost the contact and picked it up at 14 nm out. It did not get a fix until about 5 nm out. This is using the HDS3 Battleset.

The scenario plays out even worse using a Foxtrot, which seems undetectable unless you just about run over it.

hi,

the pick/lost/pick again come from the convergence Zones ( CZ ), tell me if you don't know what they are.

The foxtrot is a diesel/electric subs, less noisy on electric motors than a nuke like the victor, so it looks correct to detect it later.

Hope it helps

See you

(in reply to parnold)
Post #: 2
RE: Harpoon Pasive SOnar Modeling - 3/22/2011 2:19:20 PM   
parnold

Thanks, I do understand convergence zones. It seems that it never picks up any subs at the outer CZ.

Back in old Harpoon, subs were the best detection platform. Now, whether it is a sub or ship even if you are creeping you do not know a sub is out there until it fires at you.

(in reply to bilbo8888)
Post #: 3
RE: Harpoon Pasive SOnar Modeling - 3/22/2011 2:28:14 PM   
bilbo8888

quote:

Thanks, I do understand convergence zones. It seems that it never picks up any subs at the outer CZ.

Back in old Harpoon, subs were the best detection platform. Now, whether it is a sub or ship even if you are creeping you do not know a sub is out there until it fires at you.

Have you read this post ? http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2619221

I think you have to consider :
- speed of the scouting plateform vs speed of your target
- quality of the sonar used

Personnaly i think the best detection plateform is the patrol helo/airplane cause it moves fast, can use buoy or active deeping sonar, can't be targeted by torps ( !!! )

you have to keep in mind too that's HCE now is much more realistic in many ways ( sonar detection and EW for example )

see you

(in reply to parnold)
Post #: 4
RE: Harpoon Pasive SOnar Modeling - 3/22/2011 4:29:32 PM   
TonyE

quote:

Yes, both the paper rules (H3->H4.1) and the computer games significantly reduced sonar detection ranges with the end of the Cold War. Tweaking passive sonar was my first big undertaking as a HC programmer and while the results are not perfect (not that we know what perfect is), they correspond much better to the current paper rules than the old passive sonar that you remember.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to parnold)
Post #: 5
RE: Harpoon Pasive SOnar Modeling - 3/22/2011 5:23:19 PM   
CV32

Keep in mind, as well, as that link posted by bilbo8888 details, that the sonar and acoustic signature values will differ considerably between the older battlesets and the newer ones that have editable databases.

Brad Leyte
HC3 development group member for HCE
Author of HCDB official database for HCE
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 6
RE: Harpoon Pasive SOnar Modeling - 3/25/2011 3:06:26 AM   
parnold

Thanks. That makes a lot more sense.

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 7
RE: Harpoon Pasive SOnar Modeling - 3/28/2011 4:02:16 AM   
VictorInThePacific

quote:

Various people have given you reasonable, rational responses to this point.

I think perhaps a better response is a simple "yes", accompanied by the sound of hysterical laughter and my head banging against a brick wall.

Not only do subs now have the capacity to remain completely invisible, but recently I had an Oliver Hazard Perry frigate (creeping) sunk by a completely invisible torpedo, and then I found out that that could be expected to happen about 25% of the time.

(in reply to parnold)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> Harpoon Pasive SOnar Modeling Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI