Worth another look

Armchair generals and fans of grand strategy can take their turns building great empires or protecting the world from tyranny during these pivotal moments in world history. In addition to nation-level trade and diplomatic concerns, you are tasked with managing region and city-level projects, choosing the right technologies to research, directing military movement and development, conducting international diplomacy, maintaining domestic stability and producing resources vital to making everything else possible. No two games of Making History II: The War of the World will be the same as there are an unlimited number of ways to achieve your goals. The choices you make determine the history of your nation. Whether that history will speak of a liberator or a conqueror is up to you!
Rosseau

Worth another look

Post by Rosseau »

After playing an early demo, I decided to just stick with MHGold. I was very negative about this game. But I caved in after 1.23 patch came out, and glad I did. Thankfully, the devs did not give up on the game, and an editor is in the works. It's also pretty easily moddable in the meantime. See: http://making-history.com/forum/thread/390848/1

If there's an updated demo somewhere, I would check it out. As someone else posted, it's light on the manual, but boy they piled on the depth, if you like that sort of thing. I am playing a modded 1936 scenario that gives the U.K. (me) a bit of an edge, and world tension is building fairly realistically. I can't wait to see what happens next.

Also, just like WitE, you don't need to understand quite everything to play. Just read the FAQs on ML's forum and start blowing through a few turns. I'm pretty impressed so far...
Twotribes

RE: Worth another look

Post by Twotribes »

Users viewing this topic: Twotribes
I like this game. Keep trying to get people over at the developers site to post here. This is a good game.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Max 86

Post by Max 86 »

I also have this game was put off by the condition of it at release. I have not patched lately but was wondering if they had fixed some of the AI issues.  Its just absurd to have Mongolia declare war on Paraguay or other completely pointless endeavors.

I was very impressed with MH1 and was psyched for MH2 but became disillusioned after the release. 

No problem Chief!
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Nothing weird happened to me from '33 to mid-1938 with the latest patch. Campaigns take a while to finish, but I'm really enjoying this one. Dare I say, more that WitE in its current state.

parusski

Post by parusski »

I have the game and enjoy it immensely. Yes, WITE is consuming most of my time, but MHII is a different beast and I enjoy it also.

Praise goes to Muzzy Lane for listening and responding to gamers' input from the beginning. That infamous lag that many experienced(as I did) was odd and off putting. But ML quickly corrected this and the game is now very playable and fun.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
Max 86

Post by Max 86 »

Thanks for the feedback. I will have another look.[:)]
No problem Chief!
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

I'm going to pick this one up based on the recommendations. I'm busy playing CCDF and AWD, which I just purchased this week. I have to pace myself.
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
mbar

Post by mbar »

How many senarios are in MH2?
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

You can start ( whole world) at 1933, 1936 or 1939. And there is a Europe only 1939 one also.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

You can also change the starting dates in a text file. I'd tell you where, but my computer is in the emergency room. I hope all my games are still there when it is discharged!
MuzzyDev

Post by MuzzyDev »

Thanks for the kind comments, All!  Yes, we are continuing to work hard to make the game better, and player feedback matters a lot!

The Multiplayer Service is live, although still officially in beta.  We're working on a Mac version, then the editor!

Chris--
Chris Parsons
Product Manager
Muzzy Lane Software
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

In the meantime, I've had luck editing the XMLs, which I had a very hard time doing with MHGold for some reason. Plus there's the satisfaction of recoding things and seeing it actually work in the game. Still, the future editor will be appreciated.
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

OK bought it, on sale, figured I had better pull the trigger. Speaking of triggers, just dropped 5 flying rats this morning (5 shots, 5 flying rats). It's going to be a great day, for gaming.

Make that 6 flying rats. (6 for 6)
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

Printing the tutorial, and hopefully it's better than the ATG tutorial.
Bossy573

Post by Bossy573 »

The discount was enough to convince me to throw my hat in on this one. [:)]

Kind of stunned how skimpy the manual is. There looks to be a lot of detail to be learned and I don't want to be left guessing. Hopefully the tutorial will explain most of it.....
Chris Bisson

Post by Chris Bisson »

I bought it also and am trying it out. It seems very complex at first try. I find the tutorial to put you waaaaaay into a financial crisis within 10 or so turns..... Not much of a tutorial beyond the menus and I am left wondering how the hell to get back into the black..... I am getting a loss of interest it seems after the tutorial "gotcha".
What's with the negative waves?
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I got used to the game from playing it and from "cheating" at first, so I could experiment. Again, See: http://making-history.com/forum/thread/390848/1

If I was at your computer, we'd have it going in a couple of minutes. May try downloading a mod from the MH site and I can PM you the modded (cheat) file if you're really desperate. Worst case, you'd have a downloaded mod that doesn't work. Your game would still be fine. Sorry, if this is 0bvious to most. But it's not a game worth giving up on quickly.

Chris Bisson

Post by Chris Bisson »

I've been playing it for a few days now. I went into my second attempt with the knowledge that the tutorial is merely to get you aquaited with the menus and techniques to play the game. I wasn't aware it is more of a economy game than a war game. So I am still playing the same scenario for around 16 to 18 hours now and am getting the hang of it. I am starting to get more advanced units than what I started with and there is still a long way to go. I am liking it obviously if I am playing it this much. The only real mistake I have made was to "upgrade" my carrier planes to the next aircraft up and now they will not go back to the carrier since the upgrade changed them into a land based plane it seems. Probably a bug.... it was too easy to screw that up for it to be a feature, otherwise the game seems pretty solid so far. A real marathon game. I assume when I get a more advanced carrier plane I can fix that.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I modded Japan into a superpower and took China in a couple of years. That the scenario isn't historical doesn't bother me. It's August 1938 and I have lots of infrastructure work to do and decisions to make, and techs to research. Should I ally with Germany? (Not right now). I want the Philippines, but am not ready for war with the USA. So maybe I'll move on British East India, but that presents some risks. Need to reorg air/army/navy once I decide. This is why I like the game. It seems I've barely begun. Then I edit some XML's and have Germany and France allied against the US and Japan. Anything's possible.
Chris Bisson

Post by Chris Bisson »

ORIGINAL: rosseau

I modded Japan into a superpower and took China in a couple of years. That the scenario isn't historical doesn't bother me. It's August 1938 and I have lots of infrastructure work to do and decisions to make, and techs to research. Should I ally with Germany? (Not right now). I want the Philippines, but am not ready for war with the USA. So maybe I'll move on British East India, but that presents some risks. Need to reorg air/army/navy once I decide. This is why I like the game. It seems I've barely begun. Then I edit some XML's and have Germany and France allied against the US and Japan. Anything's possible.

I am playing as the US and am allied with UK and Canada and Austrailia and several other minors (part of UK) The AI approached me with an alliance offer and I decided to do it. I am not clear whether Japan declared war on me before that and then maybe UK wanted to ally with me OR if they allied with me and Japan declared war on me. Doesn't matter I suppose at this point, so I sent my pacific fleet to them and sank a few of thier fleets without any losses and left to go fuel up. Battle reports show that the Brits are handling the Nips on thier own rather well so I am ignoring Japan now. I have been kept occupied for hours on end "conquering" central and south america. I am holding all of central america and most of south america at the moment. I am caught up in Brazil now and Argentina and Chile are still neutral. During the Brazil campaign Russia declared war on me also... So now I am at war with Brazil, Japan, Manchuria, Mongolia, China, Russia, Italy and several other minors. I have only actively attacked in the Americas and a few fleet actions against the Japs. I am seeing now that what my allies do on thier own affect my standing with others also. The diplomacy part of the game is very interresting.

So far the game seems believable and you truly can rewrite history. I don't know if you can repeat history though, I doubt it as there are too many variables in the game. I've only played the game a short time and so far all the events are plausible and make sense to me. I can see very much replay value in this title. No two games will be the same. Having fun so far...

Return to “Making History II: The War of the World”