Matrix Games Forums

More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patchNew Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge UpdateCommand gets a huge update!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Just bought the game. Need some infos

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Just bought the game. Need some infos Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Just bought the game. Need some infos - 3/18/2011 3:39:24 PM   
GreyJoy

Hello,

after a long long long time lurking around, i finally made up my mind and bought the game.

My first (1st of a long serie, be sure!) question is about patches and official upgrades.
I'm a bit puzzled. I see beta patches, patches and official updates but cannot find anything in the support section that makes me understand what do i have to dl and in which order.

Anybody?

Thx in advance

GJ
Post #: 1
RE: Just bought the game. Need some infos - 3/18/2011 4:11:55 PM   
beppi

It is not that complex. Just register on the Matrix Page and add your game to your owned ones. Then go to the members area where under downloads you find the last official update (v1.01.06i) from november 2010. This update is enough for anyone to play or to learn. The game is very stable for its complexity and there should be no problems playing with that patch.

But sometimes in very special cases when you encounter some "nasty" problems like upgrade loops or some else then you can apply the beta patch or even request help from michaelm () that he takes a look at you turn. But i doubt that you will encounter such a problem.

So just download the patch from the members area and you are good to go. The official patch is always comulative and includes all older patches. (Just do not use the auto updater as it is not up to date).

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 2
RE: Just bought the game. Need some infos - 3/18/2011 4:21:02 PM   
GreyJoy

Thank you mate. Clear and sound. Done everything.
Now it's time for a full immersion in the manual (think my boss won't be happy )

Looking forward to pbem!

S!

(in reply to beppi)
Post #: 3
RE: Just bought the game. Need some infos - 3/18/2011 4:33:28 PM   
Omat

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

Looking forward to pbem!

S!

Hello

Simply start a game against the ai on hard to learn how the game works. It is simple to start playing but it have a great in game depth. You will make lot of mistakes..so the first game against the ai is the best..so don’t delete it ;). The game is not about make all perfect...more don’t make too many mistakes or hoping (pbem) that your opponent don’t take advantage of it.

So I hope you enjoy the game!

Omat

P.S.: Some links for you to read and listen ;)

http://sites.google.com/site/n01487477/Home

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2260137

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2564541 :)

< Message edited by Omat -- 3/18/2011 4:37:52 PM >

"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another."
Anatole France

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 4
RE: Just bought the game. Need some infos - 3/18/2011 4:33:31 PM   
roeddog

try this link and scroll to message #4
should get you up to speed on the patches, both official and beta

patches

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5
RE: Just bought the game. Need some infos - 3/18/2011 4:41:23 PM   
GreyJoy

Thank you mates!

Well, i have to say that what finally convinced me of buying the game was the read of PZBvsAndyMac AARs...simply amazing how this game can be depth!

BTW i'm now printing the manual...takes sooo long! :-)

In the meanwhile will read all those helpfull links!

Still thanks

(in reply to roeddog)
Post #: 6
RE: Just bought the game. Need some infos - 3/18/2011 6:12:50 PM   
USS America

Welcome aboard, GreyJoy! 

One word of advice I would add is about the manual.  There have been many changes since it was published and it was never intended to include every tiny detail of the game's inner workings.  It is a fantastic starting point, but the forums will add much that you find missing or confusing in the manual.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 7
RE: Just bought the game. Need some infos - 3/18/2011 6:31:48 PM   
GreyJoy

Thx USS America!

Unfortunately the forum search function does not seem to be working properly... but, anyway, i think tonight i'll start my first AI game and will learn from my own mistakes :-P

BTW those links posted are very helpfull! The tutorials are all very understandable and easy to master!

Still thx

(in reply to USS America)
Post #: 8
RE: Just bought the game. Need some infos - 3/18/2011 6:44:25 PM   
nashvillen

When searching, select the "less precise match" under your key words, it works much better that way.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 9
RE: Just bought the game. Need some infos - 3/18/2011 7:06:02 PM   
Sardaukar

I'd actually suggest playing vs. AI on Historical level. AI gets logistical advantages with Hard difficulty and it can be quite annoying (not to mention distracting you from viable tactics you can use later vs. human opponent). AI doesn't get smarter with harder difficulty levels, it'll just cheat more.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 10
RE: Just bought the game. Need some infos - 3/18/2011 9:33:22 PM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: nashvillen

When searching, select the "less precise match" under your key words, it works much better that way.

Nash, I love your avatar. The B10 battleship FTW!

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 11
RE: Just bought the game. Need some infos - 3/18/2011 10:03:17 PM   
nashvillen

Thanks, I didn't make it, Steve Cole made it for me. I do the official Q&A for Federation and Empire. Just my way of giving props to my favorite board game!

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 12
RE: Just bought the game. Need some infos - 3/19/2011 12:04:20 AM   
GreyJoy

I've spent the whole afternoon and evening going through the manual and the tutorials. Game mechanics seem to be understandable enough...still don't get it much about the "pilot system" but i'm sure i'll learn it.
Starting my first AI GC now as Japan...thrilling

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 13
RE: Just bought the game. Need some infos - 3/19/2011 1:27:01 AM   
GreyJoy

mmmm....ok, got some more questions

Pilot training and stuff.

I've read all the links connected to TRACOM, General Reserve and Experience and, gotta say, it is not clear enough to my puzzled mind

Let's see if i understand correctly.

You can put some of your active pilots in "general reserve". doing that you enable them to be moved to other destinations (active fighting groups, training groups, TRACOM etc).
Some of these pilots (those enlighted in yellow in the general reserve pool) can be assigned to TRACOM. doing that they will act as teatchers for the rookies and speed up their graduation (so to say in less than 12 months). At the same time these teatchers have a chance to "create" some better pilots.
The graduated pilots go to the replacement pool.
The latter pool is composed by those pilots who finished the 12 months training program and their average is connected to the "national exp avg".

So what i have to do is to take away the best pilots from groups not directly involved in front-line actions and move them, putting them first in "group reserve" status, then into "general reserve" and then, using "ask for a veteran" button, to the front line unit.
At the same time i have to fill the non front-line groups with pilots taken from the replacement and train them (with the training buttons) like hell till they become decent...
Then, start this process all over again...

Am i correct????

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 14
RE: Just bought the game. Need some infos - 3/19/2011 2:32:27 AM   
Alfred

quote:

You can put some of your active pilots in "general reserve". doing that you enable them to be moved to other destinations (active fighting groups, training groups, TRACOM etc).

You have more flexibility than that. Once a pilot is made inactive in his group (delay=1), he can be directly transferred to another squadron bypassing the intermediate step of being sent to "General Reserve" first.

Some of these pilots (those enlighted in yellow in the general reserve pool) can be assigned to TRACOM.

Any pilot in yellow can be sent directly from their squadron to TRACOM.

doing that they will act as teatchers for the rookies and speed up their graduation (so to say in less than 12 months).

Yes...perhaps. There is no guarantee that having pilots in TRACOM will speed up the graduation. More importantly TRACOM pilots will only speed up the graduation of pilots with the same nationality. There is also a threshold level, never fully disclosed by the devs, of pilots in TRACOM for the speed up to occur.

At the same time these teatchers have a chance to "create" some better pilots.

No. Graduating pilots come out with experience which is within a range +/- of the national average. Having pilots in Tracom will aid reducing the negative spread but will not boost them to above the national average.

Yes.

The latter pool is composed by those pilots who finished the 12 months training program and their average is connected to the "national exp avg".

Yes.

So what i have to do is to take away the best pilots from groups not directly involved in front-line actions and move them, putting them first in "group reserve" status, then into "general reserve" and then, using "ask for a veteran" button, to the front line unit.

See earlier reply. When you click on "ask for a veteran" button you can choose from pilots in:

(a) "General Reserve"
(b) "TRACOM"
(c) inactive in a group (remember, the delay = 1 pilots)

If you don't filter, your request shows all pilots in above 3 states. You can filter to choose from only say those in TRACOM, or General Reserve or inactive in group.

At the same time i have to fill the non front-line groups with pilots taken from the replacement and train them (with the training buttons) like hell till they become decent...

Yes, although the order may well be first bring the extra pilots and then export your experten. Depends on whether the unit is scheduled for withdrawal or is overstrength in assigned pilots.

Bingo. However as there can be a delay of up to 15 days in transfers, you can decide to only engage in this micromangement say on the 1st and 15th of the month.

Am i correct????

Have fun.

Alfred

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 15
RE: Just bought the game. Need some infos - 3/19/2011 6:15:23 AM   
Misconduct

quote:

mmmm....ok, got some more questions

Pilot training and stuff.

I've read all the links connected to TRACOM, General Reserve and Experience and, gotta say, it is not clear enough to my puzzled mind

Let's see if i understand correctly.

Some of these pilots (those enlighted in yellow in the general reserve pool) can be assigned to TRACOM. doing that they will act as teatchers for the rookies and speed up their graduation (so to say in less than 12 months). At the same time these teatchers have a chance to "create" some better pilots.

Am i correct????

Are you starting as Japanese or Allied?

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 16
RE: Just bought the game. Need some infos - 3/19/2011 9:13:02 AM   
GreyJoy

Thanx a lot Alfred. Very clear.
@Misconduct: I've started 2 different games, one as Jap and one as Allied.

Now my next step is to grab the "withdrawal problem"...seems that every single air group will be called back to ETO in the next few weeks...so what's the pourpose of training my pilots if Eike is gonna steal them from me so soon? Does the system want me to go through every single pilot every turn, comparing the withdrawal group date with the experience gained and decide if to put him on gen reserve or let him go back to Europe? Isn't this too much of micromanagement??

(in reply to Misconduct)
Post #: 17
RE: Just bought the game. Need some infos - 3/19/2011 9:22:57 AM   
LoBaron

quote:

Now my next step is to grab the "withdrawal problem"...seems that every single air group will be called back to ETO in the next few weeks...so what's the pourpose of training my pilots if Eike is gonna steal them from me so soon? Does the system want me to go through every single pilot every turn, comparing the withdrawal group date with the experience gained and decide if to put him on gen reserve or let him go back to Europe? Isn't this too much of micromanagement??

Welcome GreyJoy!

You incidentially just found the game aspect where the klickfest is on.
It is a bit too micro IMO but its not as bad as you assume.

This is what I personally do: I dedicate the early withdrawal squads to training duty (as Allies you will want some active fighter protection for the west coast though) and check them either shortly before withdrawal
date or about once a month, either to adjust training, send trained pilots to general reserve or to the frontlines, and refill the units with fresh meat.
The same way you can steal Eikes pilots. Simply send all trained pilots to general reserve and withdraw the squad after you filled it with noobs.

Have fun!

S**t happens in war.

All hail the superior ones!

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 18
RE: Just bought the game. Need some infos - 3/19/2011 9:24:28 AM   
LoBaron

Small hint for clickfest reduction: You can use the Y/N keys on the keyboard to confirm, this is much faster than using the mouse only.

S**t happens in war.

All hail the superior ones!

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 19
RE: Just bought the game. Need some infos - 3/19/2011 10:48:16 AM   
Alfred

quote:

There are two types of units scheduled for withdrawal:

(a) scheduled to return - the return date can be as soon as the same month as the withdrawal month, or it might return several years down the track,

(b) will never return.

When you withdraw squadrons which will subsequently return, the pilots and airframes go in to the pools. You lose both the pilots and airframes of those squadrons which do not return.

Even squadrons which appear on map for only a few weeks before they have to be withdrawn provide several benefits.

1. With PDU on, if a squadron scheduled for permanent withdrawl is equipped with frontline airframes, you can replace them with obsolete airframes prior to withdrawal. This is an important technique for boosting your limited 1942 Allied airframe replacement rates.

2. You are provided with additional training places. At the cost of micromanaging, you can avoid losing semi trained pilots. Even an additional 3 weeks of training will probably see a 10 point pilot skill increase plus improved experience.

3. The short term squadrons provide an increased insurance against enemy raids on the West Coast.

Alfred

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 20
RE: Just bought the game. Need some infos - 3/19/2011 5:49:38 PM   
koontz

The best way to learn imo is to play pbem, start with coral sea vs another newbie.

Amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics.

"All warfare is based on deception. There is no place where espionage is not used. Offer the enemy bait to lure him."

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 21
RE: Just bought the game. Need some infos - 3/19/2011 9:17:19 PM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: nashvillen

Thanks, I didn't make it, Steve Cole made it for me. I do the official Q&A for Federation and Empire. Just my way of giving props to my favorite board game!

I still have my copy of Federation and Empire. I'm such a SFB freak it's not even funny. I even have the link to the General War timeline in my bookmark.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 22
RE: Just bought the game. Need some infos - 3/30/2011 11:11:21 PM   
Rexor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

(a) scheduled to return - the return date can be as soon as the same month as the withdrawal month, or it might return several years down the track,

(b) will never return.

When you withdraw squadrons which will subsequently return, the pilots and airframes go in to the pools. You lose both the pilots and airframes of those squadrons which do not return.

Even squadrons which appear on map for only a few weeks before they have to be withdrawn provide several benefits.

1. With PDU on, if a squadron scheduled for permanent withdrawl is equipped with frontline airframes, you can replace them with obsolete airframes prior to withdrawal. This is an important technique for boosting your limited 1942 Allied airframe replacement rates.

2. You are provided with additional training places. At the cost of micromanaging, you can avoid losing semi trained pilots. Even an additional 3 weeks of training will probably see a 10 point pilot skill increase plus improved experience.

3. The short term squadrons provide an increased insurance against enemy raids on the West Coast.

Alfred

Alfred, how do you replace frontline airframes with obsolete ones prior to withdrawal?

Wait, I assume it's through "upgrade path"?

< Message edited by Rexor -- 3/30/2011 11:14:54 PM >

"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe." (H.G. Wells)

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 23
RE: Just bought the game. Need some infos - 4/10/2011 12:33:32 AM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rexor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

(b) will never return.

Alfred

Alfred, how do you replace frontline airframes with obsolete ones prior to withdrawal?

Wait, I assume it's through "upgrade path"?

Yes.

If PDU is on, when you click on "upgrade" you are presented with a list of potential upgrades. The list includes some obsolete, some current and some future models.

Note however one very important difference in upgrading between squadrons scheduled to withdraw and those not. In the former you can only upgrade to a model which will completely refit the unit. IOW, if you wish to upgrade an USA fighter squadron which is scheduled to withdraw and its TOE is 25, you need to have 25 airframes available in the pool in order to upgrade, even if the unit currently only has 1 airframe on issue. This condition does not apply to units which are not scheduled to withdraw. Those units can be upgraded to any model (which appears on the "upgrade" list) which has a minimum of 1 airframe in the pool.

Alfred

(in reply to Rexor)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Just bought the game. Need some infos Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI