Invading Pearl Harbor

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

topeverest

Invading Pearl Harbor

Post by topeverest »

Does anyone know off-hand if invading Pearl Harbor (or other close-in Hawaiian Islands) activates the American reinforcement bonus? If it does, that would be a non-starter in my book, but I am curious...

Andy M
Alfred

RE: Invading Pearl Harbor

Post by Alfred »

Invading Hawaii does not trigger emergency reinforcements.

Alfred
mjk428

Post by mjk428 »

It certainly should.

In an early patch the 40th Infantry Division & part of the Americal Division became restricted. This decision was deemed necessary for "game balance" - the Allies were actually able to defend themselvs from Japs rampaging through the Central/South Pacific - and that just couldn't stand. It takes 4 full months worth of PPs to activate them. If the Japs were threatening Hawaii there would be no political reason why those units wouldn't be used to defend US possessions since they were deployed in '42. Invading past Wake should at least give the Allies a one-time 3000 PP boost.

Unfortunately, hampering Allied ablilities while at the same time giving the Axis abilities well beyond anything they could ever have hoped to achieve is just par for the course with WitP.
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Sorry, a blatant AFB post, lock the thread.[:'(]
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
topeverest

Post by topeverest »

Hard...but not a non-starter. I cant think of a case where I would want to accelerate american reinforcements, unless I were to be handed Los Angeles.
Andy M
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: JeffK

+1

Where's Mike? [:D]
Pax
JWE

Post by JWE »

Nah, not really a blatant AFB post. The poor fellow has no clue why certain decisions were made. Some people just want to do a 'urinate on everything possible in the game you can find' kinda post.[;)] If you really want to lock it, I'll have it done, but don't think it's worthwhile at this point.

But yeah, the HI are outside the bounds of "emergency reinforcements". And those of you who play the game know why.
aphrochine

Post by aphrochine »

I would have to say that some pivots would be nice for the Allies.  In one of my PBEM games, I've taken a beating on the seas and lost my CV's, yet the Admiralty still insisted they take 3 operational CV's from me...leaving the Pacific virutally undefended for everyone involved.   This the US would sit on 6 full divisions on the west coast while the IJA was invading Australia, or other CW nations would not respond??  As long as the IJA player knows what hex line to not cross...

I know it's a pipe dream, but it would be nice of a few hard checks were added to the game that would boost some things for one side or the other as reactions to ahistorically lop sided outcomes.
VMF-422 fanboy
Grog Virgin fanboy
mike scholl 1

Post by mike scholl 1 »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

+1

RIGHT HERE, Pax. But I recognize "tongue in cheek" when I see it. Besides..,
if CD's are handled right invading Oahu should be a non-starter after 12/9/41.
inqistor

Post by inqistor »

Nope.
Actually invading Alaska neither.
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: mike scholl 1

+1

[:D] yes, sorry that I could not resist. Glad you took it as intended.

[&o][&o][&o]

BTW: I agree with your assessment. PBEM, I think the Allied player would need to make mistakes to lose PH assuming HR not allowing PH amphib on 12/7.
Pax
Disco Duck

Post by Disco Duck »

My understanding is that the Japanese looked at invading PH on December 7th. The argument against it was the amount of shipping required to maintain it. Any sustained combat would have destroyed the already damaged port facilities.

Has anyone actually tried this in the game?

As an aside is there any way to destroy your own port facilities and supplies to prevent capture?

There is no point in believing in things that exist. -Didactylos
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Look at FatR's AAR.

Destruction of own facilities is a die roll influenced by number of engineers present at base capture.

Alfred
darbycmcd

Post by darbycmcd »

I had a game going of the Reluctant Admiral mod and my opponent invaded the Hawaiian Islands, but stopped short of Pearl. It went well in the beginning, he took the islands, quickly built up some airbases and just wiped out anything that sailed or flew in the area. But I think the idea of the landing and battle at PH was just a bit sobering. It would be very very costly. But the biggest cost is the opportunity cost. With so many resources there, shipping (mostly a problem of fuel) and airgroup, baseforces, etc, he just couldn't conduct the other, more important operations with enough strength. So it cost me a ton of ships and planes as I resisted past when resistance was futile, but in the end I think cost him more in time.

The thing is, even if the Japanese take PH, it feels like a big deal but really isn't for the Aliies. You can just ship everything to Cape Town and enter it from there. It takes a little bit more time but is really not so significantly more. That leaves the Japanese interdicting empty shipping lanes. They can raid the west coast, but that works in your favor for attrition. So cost:benefit, I am unconvinced it is a great idea.
mike scholl 1

Post by mike scholl 1 »

ORIGINAL: mike scholl 1

[:D] yes, sorry that I could not resist. Glad you took it as intended.

[&o][&o][&o]

BTW: I agree with your assessment. PBEM, I think the Allied player would need to make mistakes to lose PH assuming HR not allowing PH amphib on 12/7.

I've never had a problem with being "ribbed" for my support of the Allied cause. With all the JFB's on the forum, somebody has to stand up for sanity! And it's nice to be remembered.... [8D]
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

ORIGINAL: mjk428
In an early patch the 40th Infantry Division & part of the Americal Division became restricted. This decision was deemed necessary for "game balance" - the Allies were actually able to defend themselvs from Japs rampaging through the Central/South Pacific - and that just couldn't stand. It takes 4 full months worth of PPs to activate them. If the Japs were threatening Hawaii there would be no political reason why those units wouldn't be used to defend US possessions since they were deployed in '42. Invading past Wake should at least give the Allies a one-time 3000 PP boost.

The patch change was not made for "play balance" -- it was made to correct a glitch. The intended general rule of thumb for US at start forces on the West Coast is that they should start unrestricted if they historically shipped overseas in December, January and February. Otherwise, they start restricted. At the rate PPs accumulate, this allows the Allied player to release US forces at about the historic rate, and still do some fussing around with leaders, air groups, and smallish Dutch and Commonwealth formations.

The 40th Division did not ship out until September.

The US has ample forces available to defend Hawaii early in the war. It does *not* have enough forces to simultaneously protect Hawaii, fortify the islands across the South Pacific, and send reinforcements to Australia, while PPs are spent releasing forces from the DEI, Malaysia and the PI. Finding the appropriate balance is one of the many delightful frustrations the Allied player gets to deal with in AE.
[:)]
WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: Blackhorse

The US has ample forces available to defend Hawaii early in the war. It does *not* have enough forces to simultaneously protect Hawaii, fortify the islands across the South Pacific, and send reinforcements to Australia, while PPs are spent releasing forces from the DEI, Malaysia and the PI. Finding the appropriate balance is one of the many delightful frustrations the Allied player gets to deal with in AE.

That is so unfair and clearly shows the game is borked. It is my constitutional right to have sufficient PPs to undertake not only the above but also to:

* buy every destroyed land and air unit (including those slated to withdraw which after their resurrection will no longer need to be withdrawn),

* cover every air unit and ship not withdrawn so that I don't ever cross into negative territory,

* plus not garrison those tin pot North-West Frontier bases which demand an Allied garrison.

Not only is it my consititutional right as a non US citizen, it is also discriminatory by rewarding players on the basis of their skill in balancing competing demands plus it restricts my consumer rights to have my every whim completely met with the least effort on my part.

Just as soon as the devs have made some money from this game, I'm going to sue for punitive damages.[:)]

Alfred
topeverest

Post by topeverest »

I didnt know you moonlighted as a satiristical comedian...and a good one too!!

Andy M
Tullius

Post by Tullius »

Perhaps he referred to the 41th Division.
In February 1942, the 41st Infantry Division was alerted for overseas movement. It handed over its coastal defence responsibilities to the 3rd Infantry Division and concentrated at Fort Lewis. First to depart was the 162nd Infantry, 641st Tank Destroyer Battalion, and 41st Reconnaissance Troop, which entrained later that month for Fort Dix. This group departed the Brooklyn Navy Yard on 3 March 1942 and sailed for the Pacific via the Panama Canal, reaching Melbourne on 9 April. They were among the first U.S. military units to be engaged in offensive ground combat operations.

source: Wikipedia

This division is also restricted and you have to spend PP to transfer it to Australia.
The US has ample forces available to defend Hawaii early in the war. It does *not* have enough forces to simultaneously protect Hawaii, fortify the islands across the South Pacific, and send reinforcements to Australia, while PPs are spent releasing forces from the DEI, Malaysia and the PI.

When you play historically you have to deploy strong forces at Hawaii and even at the southern chain of Islands in the Pacific. Historically at the start of the was the US had not enough troops to cover all needs. Hindsight should not be a factor.

mjk428

Post by mjk428 »

ORIGINAL: Blackhorse

ORIGINAL: mjk428

The patch change was not made for "play balance" -- it was made to correct a glitch. The intended general rule of thumb for US at start forces on the West Coast is that they should start unrestricted if they historically shipped overseas in December, January and February. Otherwise, they start restricted. At the rate PPs accumulate, this allows the Allied player to release US forces at about the historic rate, and still do some fussing around with leaders, air groups, and smallish Dutch and Commonwealth formations.

The 40th Division did not ship out until September.

Thanks for the "rational" response. [;)]

These units were available unrestricted in PacWar, WitP, & AE 1.0. If they could be deployed too soon, then the rational way to deal with that was delaying their arrival or disabling 90% of their squads. Having to pay "political" points for units that were among the first to leave the States just doesn't sit right by me. Also, there may be ample points to change the units over that were needed but there is already a shortage of points for changing from Restricted Australia bases over to Southwest Pacific. In PacWar this occurred automatically. Some will say that it's not necessary but the restricted bases play havoc with air transfers of planes and troops. I like things orderly.Because I'm always hoarding PPs for big things I rarely use them for changing leaders like I should. I doubt Nimitz had much political trouble getting LTs replaced or moving around units destined to the Central/South Pacific. If I wanted to send the Americal Division to India I'd understand the problem. I don't play like that. The first year is all about reinforcing and base building along historical lines.

Return to “The War Room”