Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

ATG: Key Concepts and Tips

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> ATG: Key Concepts and Tips Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ATG: Key Concepts and Tips - 3/16/2011 3:32:18 PM   
Webizen

This is another part of my unofficial effort to produce some helpful guides for newcomers to AT Classic/ATG. I've not verified everything I've written is 100% accurate. That is where you come in. Please review and help me correct or improve this list of important concepts and tips. The idea is to provide something that will help newcomers get up to speed quickly and have a fun experience with AT Classic/ATG. It will be helpful if you have a copy of my Quick Reference Guide in front of you as you read, especially if you have never played the original AT:WWII.

Unit Attributes

Action Points (AP): APs are expended as you move and attack. A unit's supply level directly affects the amount of APs it has for the turn.

Readiness (RDN): Max level is 100%. Moving and fighting lower readiness. Being out of supply lowers readiness. Aerial and artillery bombardment lowers readiness of the units being bombarded. If in supply, a unit recovers a certain amount of readiness each turn, more if it doesn't move and is range of its HQ.

Experience (EXP): HQs will automatically train new units to a certain level. Successful combat operations raise experience as well. Try to minimize losses to your combat veterans. Try to avoid putting new inexperienced units immediately into combat. Sometimes it is wise to retreat rather than suffer high losses to your combat veterans. If lost, newly constructed replacements will be inexperienced and more easily succumb to attacks by highly experienced troops.

Morale (MOR): High is good and low is bad. Consecutive turns of aerial and/or artillery bombardment lowers morale. Retreating as a result of combat lowers morale. A poor supply situation lowers morale.

Entrenchment (ENT): A unit that remains at rest will begin to automatically entrench. Cities, forest, jungle and other "rough" terrain types allow better entrenchment, especially for infantry types. Armored units do not entrench as well as infantry units. Engineers can build fortifications and fortresses which units can use to improve entrenchment.

Retreat Loss % Setting (100, 75, 50): The point at which losses result in a retreat. 50% is the default. 100% means no retreat--fight to the last man. If you are trying to limit losses, leave at 50%. If holding ground is extremely important, set to 75 or 100.

% of Supply Requested (100, 75, 50): The default is 100%. If adequate supply becomes an issue, units on guard duty in rear areas or in quiet areas of a front can be set to 50% so more supply is available to front line units actively engaged in combat. Don't forget to raise this percentage back to 100% if the unit is likely to become involved in combat.

HQ Power (HQP) %: The closer an HQ is to the units it commands the bigger the combat bonus: (0-3 hex/100%, 4 hex/80%, 5 hex/60%, 6 hex/40%, 7 hex/20%). If an HQ is 8 or more hexes from the units it commands, they do not get any HQP bonuses in combat (attack or defense).

HQ Staff (STF) %: The larger the army the more staff that is required to efficiently command it. Not enough staff in your HQ means that the units it commands fight less effectively. Getting too much over 100% isn't good either. Try to keep this close to 100%.

< Message edited by Webizen -- 3/18/2011 2:58:24 PM >

Tac2i
Post #: 1
RE: AT/ATG: Important Concepts and Tips - 3/16/2011 5:18:29 PM   
Josh

Covers it well I think. And there's a new addition as well I see, HQ Power, so no more counting hexes. The max level is 100% you write, you might add it can drop to zero... if the unit is too far away. The HQ powerthing also points to the fact that an efficient HQ can cover not much more than 5+5 hexes, say 10-15 hexes or so, without getting less efficient. When your frontline broadens you need to build more HQ's, and not just put more units into the HQ you already have.

The Exp. thing, you might want to mention that freshly raised troops have a Exp of 20, and that will slowly rise to .... I forgot, 40 or so. You mentioned this, but maybe not explicitly enough for new players. New units take a few turns to get to a decent exp level.

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 2
RE: AT/ATG: Important Concepts and Tips - 3/23/2011 11:31:21 PM   
CSO_Talorgan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Josh

New units take a few turns to get to a decent exp level.

... but presumably things can be modded so that it takes longer?

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 3
RE: AT/ATG: Important Concepts and Tips - 3/24/2011 2:41:14 AM   
Barthheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: CSO_Talorgan

quote:

New units take a few turns to get to a decent exp level.

... but presumably things can be modded so that it takes longer?

Yes.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to CSO_Talorgan)
Post #: 4
RE: AT/ATG: Important Concepts and Tips - 3/30/2011 4:03:31 PM   
Webizen

Supply - Learn it, it is very important to successful combat operations. Once the assignments are made, supply is routed automatically. You can also transfer additional supply manually if you so choose. I use the manually method to move additional supply to my HQs when I'm upgrading units.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Webizen -- 3/30/2011 4:11:14 PM >

Tac2i

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 5
RE: AT/ATG: Important Concepts and Tips - 3/30/2011 9:54:13 PM   
Josh

Now that's helpful for new players, good job!

So uhm, it's more or less the same as in AT, except I didn't know you could manually move supply to a HQ? That's new? In AT you could use the supply from either the unit's HQ for upgrading, or the Supreme HQ, whichever had the necessary supply available. So that has changed now too? For upgrading an unit you *must* have the supply in the unit's HQ? 

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 6
RE: AT/ATG: Important Concepts and Tips - 3/31/2011 5:57:03 PM   
GrumpyMel

quote:

Now that's helpful for new players, good job!

So uhm, it's more or less the same as in AT, except I didn't know you could manually move supply to a HQ? That's new? In AT you could use the supply from either the unit's HQ for upgrading, or the Supreme HQ, whichever had the necessary supply available. So that has changed now too? For upgrading an unit you *must* have the supply in the unit's HQ? 

Manual transfer of supply to an HQ works in regular AT as well...you can also manualy transfer supplies to fleets that way too, if your HQ is in a port and has naval transport capacity.

I sometimes use those in the AT games I play....helps keep ships out at sea longer.... and if I expect an HQ might be in danger of getting cut-off....it can be usefull to manualy pump some extra supplies into it...so that it's units can hold out longer until supply lines get re-established.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 7
RE: AT/ATG: Important Concepts and Tips - 3/31/2011 9:59:17 PM   
Jeffrey H.

@ Josh

If you're not using seacap to keep your naval units in supply you're missing a key part of the game. Same goes for lancap direct supply of units. Sometimes, you can 'cross HQ's' with direct landcap supply to a unit that you really need to have supplied for a turn or two. Shuttling supplies and even sft's between HQ's using landcap and or seacap is a versatile way to keep the fight up.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to GrumpyMel)
Post #: 8
RE: AT/ATG: Important Concepts and Tips - 4/1/2011 2:59:28 PM   
Josh

Uh you're right, my brain must be failing me because I had... sort of ... completely forgotten about this aspect of the game. Must've been longer ago than I thought since the last time I played AT. My bad.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 9
RE: AT/ATG: Important Concepts and Tips - 4/14/2011 2:41:51 PM   
Webizen

Additional Tip:  Don't overload your motorized units (trucks, armored cars or tanks) with infantry. If you do so, they will be slowed down and not able to move as far as normal. The number of combat rounds they can fight will also be reduced.

Default Capacity in a Random Game
truck - 20 infantry
tank - 10 infantry
Armored Car - 5 infantry

< Message edited by Webizen -- 4/15/2011 6:16:06 PM >

Tac2i

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 10
RE: AT/ATG: Important Concepts and Tips - 4/14/2011 4:38:53 PM   
Barthheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webizen

Additional Tip:  Don't overload your motorized units (trucks, armored cars or tanks) with infantry. If you do so, they will be slowed down and not able to move as far as normal.

Default Capacity in a Random Game
truck - 20 infantry
tank - 10 infantry
Armored Car - 5 infantry

More to this is don't overload your army with motorized units! You will run out of oil and be stuck!!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 11
RE: AT/ATG: Important Concepts and Tips - 4/14/2011 7:53:07 PM   
CSO_Talorgan

quote:

ORIGINAL: GrumpyMel

you can also manualy transfer supplies to fleets that way too, if your HQ is in a port and has naval transport capacity.

I sometimes use those in the AT games I play....helps keep ships out at sea longer....

Is this for the supply of the fleet itself or are these supplies that the fleet might convoy elsewhere?

(in reply to GrumpyMel)
Post #: 12
RE: AT/ATG: Important Concepts and Tips - 4/14/2011 8:01:30 PM   
Barthheart

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: GrumpyMel

you can also manualy transfer supplies to fleets that way too, if your HQ is in a port and has naval transport capacity.

I sometimes use those in the AT games I play....helps keep ships out at sea longer....

Is this for the supply of the fleet itself or are these supplies that the fleet might convoy elsewhere?

It's for "at sea" refueling of fleets.

Post #: 13
RE: AT/ATG: Important Concepts and Tips - 4/14/2011 8:57:15 PM   
CSO_Talorgan

No Malta convoys then?

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 14
RE: AT/ATG: Important Concepts and Tips - 4/15/2011 1:51:51 AM   
Barthheart

quote:

No Malta convoys then?

Hmmm.... yeah you can send supplies by ship to toher ports if you want ... but the system will do this for you if you put an HQ in Malta that is subordinate to another HQ. The system will automatically move supplies across the Med. These can be intercepted by enemy air and naval units.

Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> ATG: Key Concepts and Tips Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI