(REL) Place Names Mod by Redmarkus

Post new scenarios and mods here to share with other gamers.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, bcgames

Redmarkus5

(REL) Place Names Mod by Redmarkus

Post by Redmarkus5 »

EDIT 14 FEBRUARY 2016

The new link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rjv98douz6wjp ... d.zip?dl=0

UPDATED BELOW WITH EXPANDED INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS BY OMAT

ORIGINAL TEXT

This is the new thread for what was originally called "My Version of the Frontline Mod."

Special thanks to GoranW for his inspirational Front-line Mod and to Red Lancer for graciously providing his huge table of cities, towns and values.

The mod name has changed and I wanted to start a new page with the release of Version 1.0

SPECIAL NOTE - Installing this mod only changes the graphics you see on the map. It will not affect your game in any other way. Saved games will run exactly as they should and no changes to hex values types, MPs, CVs or anything else are made by this map mod.

KEY FEATURES OF THE MOD

1. All SU and German town names (excluding SE Europe) are now visible at Zoom levels 1-3. The names are spelled as per the game, with no relocation of towns etc. A few typos have been reported, but most 'errors' are a reflection of the spelling used in the game.

2. Icons added for factories and resources. It's 1 icon per hex, so you need to check for multiple factories and/or resources by drilling down as before.

3. Port icons and shipping lanes added to remind players that supply and evacuation may occur through those routes.

4. Some illustrations and notes have been added in the Baltic and Black Sea to highlight the naval aspects of the campaign.

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS

1) First, backup your Zoom2 map FOLDER. Normally you can find it at:

C:\Matrix Games\Gary Grigsby's War in the East\Dat\Art\Zoom2

or

C:\Program Files\Matrix Games\Gary Grigsby's War in the East\Dat\Art\Zoom2

or wherever you chose to install the game...

Copy the whole Zoom2 folder and save that copy somewhere else (e.g. on your desktop).

Then extract the modded Zoom2 files to your original Zoom2 folder inside the game and overwrite the original images.

Now do the same for the Zoom4 folder and files: copy, backup and the unzip and overwrite.

These are just graphic files. They only change the map by adding place names and do not affect anything else in the game. Saved games can be safely continued.
Attachments
Place name..n action.jpg
Place name..n action.jpg (957.07 KiB) Viewed 1564 times
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
Redmarkus5

RE: (REL) Place Names Mod by Redmarkus

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Sample 2

Attachments
Release1a.jpg
Release1a.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 1341 times
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Sample 3

Attachments
Release1b.jpg
Release1b.jpg (960.32 KiB) Viewed 1320 times
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Sample 4

Attachments
Release1c.jpg
Release1c.jpg (959.38 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Sample 5

Attachments
Release1d.jpg
Release1d.jpg (952.84 KiB) Viewed 1321 times
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Download link added in the opening post and also here: http://witewiki.com/index.php/Download_Mod
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

With Hexes version is now completed and will be uploaded late tomorrow.

Attachments
WithhexM..ogress2.jpg
WithhexM..ogress2.jpg (953.42 KiB) Viewed 1326 times
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

With hexes sample 2

Attachments
WithhexM..ogress1.jpg
WithhexM..ogress1.jpg (968.92 KiB) Viewed 1327 times
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Thank you for you hard work! I love it! :)
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Very, very nice work, thanks very much. [:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Thanks Gents. That makes the neck pain and wrist injuries all worth while :)

I am uploading the 'with hexes' version at the moment. I am sure that Cookie Monster will kindly help me out again with sorting the files for download, and as soon as that's done I will post here.
Josh

Post by Josh »

And thank you for the added hexes, I can't figure out how people play this game without hexes?
rolypoly

Post by rolypoly »

excellent mod [:'(] Now I can finally see name of my hometown in the map [:D] seriously though -well done!
-
Remmes

Post by Remmes »

Both versions are active now at witewiki: downloading now.....

This must have been an massive undertaking; I promise you I will enjoy the mod!

Many thanks for your efforts redmarkus [&o]

Regards,

Ramses
eastwindrain

Post by eastwindrain »

Many thanks we all appreciate your efforts, prefer the hex grid to give me someway of calculating the distance between locations.
carnifex

Post by carnifex »

You should remove the RUSSLAND and WEISSRUSSLAND labels, they do nothing for gameplay.

The Valdai Hills label should also be removed - there's no need to identify that one particular area and it's the only terrain feature so labelled.

The naval-related texts regarding the Baltic mine zone and the Black Sea should probably go as well. The naval game is so abstracted that players don't need to reminded of fleet strengths.

As I mentioned before, those shipping lanes serve no purpose that a port icon wouldn't show - it's not like the player is limited to moving along them and they clutter up the map.

Please understand that I offer the above as feedback to my particular tastes and I applaud your effort in general (I'm using the map in my games). But if I learned anything in my career in software QA is to beware of scope creep. You started out doing the town names and now you're listing the number of destroyers in the Black Sea. Keep it simple and keep it relevant. People want to know town names, port locations are useful, and it's nice to know where the factories are. The rest of the stuff just clutters up the map. I know you're having fun and you're thinking what else can I do with this and what other information can I show or what flavor I can add, but at some point it's time to finalize the deliverables and close out the project :)

AKCLIMBER

Post by AKCLIMBER »

Thanks for all your hard work! Much appreciated! If you ever find yourself in Southeast Alaska, I owe you a beer or two and a day out on the water, hanging out with humpbacks and orcas or fishing for salmon/halibut!

Cheers!
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

ORIGINAL: Josh

And thank you for the added hexes, I can't figure out how people play this game without hexes?

They play like I do - bogged down in the impassible terrain NE of Leningrad ;)
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

ORIGINAL: carnifex

You should remove the RUSSLAND and WEISSRUSSLAND labels, they do nothing for gameplay.

The Valdai Hills label should also be removed - there's no need to identify that one particular area and it's the only terrain feature so labelled.

The naval-related texts regarding the Baltic mine zone and the Black Sea should probably go as well. The naval game is so abstracted that players don't need to reminded of fleet strengths.

As I mentioned before, those shipping lanes serve no purpose that a port icon wouldn't show - it's not like the player is limited to moving along them and they clutter up the map.

Please understand that I offer the above as feedback to my particular tastes and I applaud your effort in general (I'm using the map in my games). But if I learned anything in my career in software QA is to beware of scope creep. You started out doing the town names and now you're listing the number of destroyers in the Black Sea. Keep it simple and keep it relevant. People want to know town names, port locations are useful, and it's nice to know where the factories are. The rest of the stuff just clutters up the map. I know you're having fun and you're thinking what else can I do with this and what other information can I show or what flavor I can add, but at some point it's time to finalize the deliverables and close out the project :)

No problem at all. I kind of went around in circles with each of those items. I'll see what others have to say and go with what I feel is the majority view and upload a patch soon enough. If it really bothers you, PM me your email address and I'll send you a clean version of those map squares.

The Valdai, Russland and and Weissrussland labels crept in because I based this mod off the Frontline Mod by GoranW and his maps showed that text. You will notice that I only put the names on one map each in the end, while Goran has put them on several.

I find things like the Valdai useful because I play team games and it struck me that some newer players won't necessarily know what you mean when you say "head for the Validai"... But I agree with the Russland text.

The Black Sea stuff doesn't clutter the map, IMO, as it's just blue water. I though that the game failed to explain the naval interdiction concept clearly to a new player, so by making the point that there's a naval struggle going on out there, I hoped to illuminate that issue.

On the question of the sea lanes, that's going to be a matter of taste, as you say. So many new players have posted questions that relate to sea supply and sea evacuation, that it seemed important to really highlight the matter. It's really useful up around Leningrad, IMO, as a reminder of how far you need to go to truly surround the city. However, when time allows I will create a 'Sea lanes' and 'No Sea lanes' option. Hopefully you can live with it until then? If it's really bugging you, PM me on that as well and I'll sort something out for you.
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

ORIGINAL: AKCLIMBER

Thanks for all your hard work! Much appreciated! If you ever find yourself in Southeast Alaska, I owe you a beer or two and a day out on the water, hanging out with humpbacks and orcas or fishing for salmon/halibut!

Cheers!

What was the street address again? I'm going online now to book my flights ;)

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”