Oh crap what did I do. I tried to add the city names which pretty muched worked really well till I scrolled across the Balkens and it is all messed up. What did i do wrong. I kinda cheated because I do not know how to "zip" a file. I created a new file and called it the correct name. I dragged the old Tga files into the new folder. Then clicked on the new Tga download. Highlighted all files and dragged then from one window to the other. I did notice there was not a 1Tga or 2Tga. Can someone help me Please???
I'm not sure exactly what went wrong from your description, but here's how to fix it:
Firstly, to restore your game to Vanilla (i.e. no place names).
1. Find your saved game folder. It should be here: C:\Matrix Games\Gary Grigsby's War in the East\Dat\save
2. Copy that Save folder (or open it and just copy the particular saves you don't want to potentially lose.)
3. Paste what you've copied somewhere, for example to a folder on your desktop or in My Documents. This is your backup.
4. Now install the game again and patch it.
5. Go and look in the Save folder again. Your old saves should still be there, but if they are not, past them back in from the folder you backed up.
Optionally, now you can try to install the Place Names Mod again.
1. Download 7-zip free here and install it: http://www.7-zip.org/
2. Go to the first Place Names Zip file in Windows explorer and right click on the zipped folder - don't open the folder, just right click on it.
3. Choose '7-zip' from the menu that opens up and then select the option 'Extract to here'.
4. You should now see a bunch of graphics files. You have just unzipped your first Zip file! Go treat yourself to a beer! Next, select all of the unzipped graphics files and, with them selected, right click again, then choose 'Cut'.
5. Now navigate to your Art folder: C:\Matrix Games\Gary Grigsby's War in the East\Dat\Art
6. Paste the graphics files you just 'Cut' into the relevant Zoom folder. (If you unzipped them from Zoom2 then paste them into Zoom2, etc.)
7. Repeat that process for each Zip file.
Now, run the game and you should see the place names in the correct places. If you don't I can't explain why not.