Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

ASW with short range weapons

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> ASW with short range weapons Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ASW with short range weapons - 3/15/2011 4:03:05 PM   
bilbo8888

Seems really ( i mean REALLY ) hard to engage ennemy subs with short range/non torpedo weapons. I don't have any real problems to kill enemy subs with decently modern ASW torpedoes, but all others means drive me crazy. I mean, i have to close enemy subs REALLY closely and fire tons of weapons to have any kill.

It seems a bit unrealistic to me ( in shallow waters for example, i think it should be easier to kill enemy subs ).

Do i have something to learn on this aspect too ?

( sorry for bad english )
Post #: 1
RE: ASW with short range weapons - 3/15/2011 8:23:49 PM   
CV32

quote:

ORIGINAL: bilbo8888
Seems really ( i mean REALLY ) hard to engage ennemy subs with short range/non torpedo weapons. I don't have any real problems to kill enemy subs with decently modern ASW torpedoes, but all others means drive me crazy. I mean, i have to close enemy subs REALLY closely and fire tons of weapons to have any kill. It seems a bit unrealistic to me ( in shallow waters for example, i think it should be easier to kill enemy subs ). Do i have something to learn on this aspect too ? ( sorry for bad english )

Rather than launch into a long diatribe on the issue, I will direct you here, where discussion is ongoing on the issue in the beta forum for HCE.

I will say here that, yes, I generally agree with you that it is probably harder to kill submarines with torpedoes than it should be. This is related to the torpedo seeker acquisition range and how the game engine (GE) handles those short distances, which in short (if you use real life values) makes it very hard for your launching platform to get close enough to allow the seeker to pick up the target. More at the thread above.

In the meantime, make sure you're using the latest version of the database because this is where you will see changes in torpedo performance as we adjust the values used by the GE.

Brad Leyte
HC3 development group member for HCE
Author of HCDB official database for HCE
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to bilbo8888)
Post #: 2
RE: ASW with short range weapons - 3/15/2011 11:11:29 PM   
Warhorse64

As far as non-torpedo ASW weapons go, your experience is actually pretty reasonable, IMO. These weapons typically have to-hit values in the 5-15% area, and ranges of rather less than one mile. So, yeah, you *should* have to get really, really close, and fire lots and lots of rounds. Many of them are pretty light in terms of doing damage, too, so you'll usually need to score a number of hits, especially against those wretched double-hulled Soviet nukes! I guess the moral of the story is either use torpedos, or be prepared to be very patient.  

(in reply to CV32)
Post #: 3
RE: ASW with short range weapons - 3/16/2011 9:42:13 AM   
bilbo8888

thanks to all, good to know im not really inept at ASW hunting ...

(in reply to Warhorse64)
Post #: 4
RE: ASW with short range weapons - 3/28/2011 3:50:14 AM   
VictorInThePacific

seems to me, if you insist on using depth charges against subs, you really need to make sure that they are nukes.

(in reply to bilbo8888)
Post #: 5
RE: ASW with short range weapons - 3/28/2011 10:57:23 PM   
Warhorse64

That can be a bit tricky, with anything but a MPA ... 

(in reply to VictorInThePacific)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> ASW with short range weapons Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI