Matrix Games Forums

A new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936War in the West coming in December!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Generals: Replacements and when

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Generals: Replacements and when Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Generals: Replacements and when - 3/14/2011 11:06:54 PM   
MilRevKo

Are there any suggestions on whom to place in control of the high command, AGN, AGC and AGS?

I know that Kesselring is and option but as the Germans in a PBEM game I was just wondering what other players do...

thx

Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes -Publilius Syrus
Post #: 1
RE: Generals: Replacements and when - 3/15/2011 1:48:57 AM   
majeloz

The problem with changing leaders is the AP cost. I use APs a fair bit to attach support units on turn 1 (eg the motorised divisions get pioneers, flak and either stugs or flamm pz) since you know they will be running ahead of hqs often. Then in turns 2-3 AP points often get used to reorganise things - eg corps to other armies plus more support units.

Normally I look at about turn 6-8 for a key infantry corps which is about to go into a major assault and check its leader - if weak, they get replaced. Ditto for a panzer corps.

I am probably too operationally focused however - could well be that a single brilliant commander in charge of 1 army (probably not AG) can do a whole lot more damage.

I still remember cardboard!

(in reply to MilRevKo)
Post #: 2
RE: Generals: Replacements and when - 3/15/2011 4:52:08 PM   
Garth Vader

I thought pioneers were used when assaulting a city or heavy forts. Why put them on motorized divs?

(in reply to majeloz)
Post #: 3
RE: Generals: Replacements and when - 3/17/2011 12:49:39 AM   
MilRevKo

THX, I have been trying to figure out how the replacment of AGN's leader with kesselring will benitfit the Germans in the long run...

Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes -Publilius Syrus

(in reply to Garth Vader)
Post #: 4
RE: Generals: Replacements and when - 3/17/2011 1:33:04 AM   
majeloz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Garth Vader

I thought pioneers were used when assaulting a city or heavy forts. Why put them on motorized divs?

Depends on the situation -- in the early turns, one way to maximise the longrange strike power of the armoured forces is to beef up a mot. div. with a stug or flamm panzer, a flak battalion or panzerjager, and a pioneer, and then you have a multipurpose mobile infantry division which can be used to take out small blocking units safely with hasty attack. Sometimes, you will encounter a low CV unit which needs to be moved to free a path for panzers well into the enemy rear and the mot.div, supported, can do it reliably.

Of course, you are right in most other situations - pioneers should be used with infantry for big assaults. Remember, too, pioneers help in crossing rivers (AFAIK).

I still remember cardboard!

(in reply to Garth Vader)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Generals: Replacements and when Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI