Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Games in progress

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Games in progress Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Games in progress - 3/14/2011 12:55:25 AM   
treespider

Figured i would post this here as well....

I realize once one of the stock scenarios is started no changes cna be made for games in progress because the stock scenarios cannot be altered.

However for mods -

Once a game is started which data files can be updated for games in progress assuming both players update the same file?

Device Stats?
Aircraft Stats? Such as climb rate or MVR?

If the effect of a device is changed in the editor for a particular scenario will that update a game in progress?

Will an update to an aircraft's MVR value update a game in progress?

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910
Post #: 1
RE: Games in progress - 3/14/2011 2:48:11 AM   
Bradley7735

From my experience, a change to a specific unit won't take affect on ongoing games. But, changes to other things will.

example: changes to bases, specific LCU's, Ships and air groups will not change ongoing games.

Changes to ship classes, airplanes and devices will change ongoing games.

So, you can't change the arrival date of Essex. But, you can change it's weapons, speed, aircraft capacity, etc.

You can't change the max number of planes flying in RAAF sqn 34, but you can change the mnvr of a Whirraway.

You can't change how many infantry ssquads the 6th division has in it's TOE, but you can change the infantry squad's soft attack.

The older I get, the better I was.

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 2
RE: Games in progress - 3/14/2011 7:33:44 PM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: treespider
Once a game is started which data files can be updated for games in progress assuming both players update the same file?

This one is a real witch, but bear with me. If anything isn't clear, please feel free to ask.

The Basis files (the ones that are used/selected in other files) are "Mostly" ok to update - Devices, Classes, Airplanes. But ... Even with these files, "Some" of the data values that are used to configure on-the-board units or ships or whatever, should not be changed for ongoing games. Here's some examples that hopefully make it clearer.

One can change the DATA fields in a Device file and have things update cleanly. That's because the devices in a LCU or Class file are just pointers to a Device slot number. The pointer don't care what the data is, just where the slot number is. The program will consult the requisite data values when they are needed, but nothing on-the-board requires them to be held somewhere, so no worries about these.

"Some" changes to the DATA fields in a Class file will update cleanly. Note .. the Class file data fields are the green ones, on top, NOT the Wpn listings. "Some" of the data fields are used for savegame purposes for on-the-board ships that refer to that Class; Ships in port, or in repair, or such like, have things calculated in terms of their Tonnage. Dinking with that will cause vomiting by the load/unload and repair algorithms if things change in midstream. Same with cargo caps; if an on-the-board ship (or ships) are loaded to one cap level, then changing the cap level in midstream will cause vomiting and perhaps loss of troops and other stuff into a virtual black hole.

"Some" changes to the DATA fields in the Airplane file will update cleanly. NOT the Wpn listings, but the data stats. So Maneuver (for example) should be ok since there is no other place it is saved for on-board stuff in a savegame.

Yeah??

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 3
RE: Games in progress - 3/15/2011 2:01:51 AM   
treespider

As I suspected...thanks for the response guys.

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Games in progress Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI