Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rate these Axis openings 1-10

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Rate these Axis openings 1-10 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rate these Axis openings 1-10 - 3/11/2011 10:30:48 PM   
Ketza

This is after the Soviet turn one moves beginning of turn 2.

Post #: 1
RE: Rate these Axis openings 1-10 - 3/11/2011 10:35:23 PM   
Mynok

I like your AGN and your AGC. I'll give you an 8 on those. I like more armor across the river in AGN and to be close to Minsk in AGC.

In the south I give you 6. WAY, WAY, WAY too much from AGC down there. One panzer corps and one extra panzer division. MAX. Plus the entire Kovel pocket will be broken by a human.

You will NEVER take Gomel with that 2nd Panzer diversion.

< Message edited by Mynok -- 3/11/2011 10:36:17 PM >

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 2
RE: Rate these Axis openings 1-10 - 3/11/2011 10:38:35 PM   
Ketza

He has already moved. This is the beggining of turn 2. Kovel will be crushed.

I also sent one PZ corp and an extra mot division south. One of the PZ divisions is broken down.

I found this to be one of the best starts I have had just wondered what others thought.

Thanks for input mynok.

< Message edited by Ketza -- 3/11/2011 10:40:05 PM >

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 3
RE: Rate these Axis openings 1-10 - 3/11/2011 10:42:54 PM   
Mynok

You sent a bunch of infantry south too. You will desparately need those on the Dnepr, I promise.

Not sure how he could have possibly not broken that Kovel pocket.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 4
RE: Rate these Axis openings 1-10 - 3/11/2011 11:06:54 PM   
Texas D

AGN- 7 as I would lift an Infantry Corps from the 18th Army to Riga on turn 1 and as Mynok said I like more armor across the river.

AGC- 6 need to get the infantry moving along, I like to break down divisions in 2 Corps to hold and mop up while the rest push forward.

AGS- 8 but I dont like pulling from AGC so heavily.

< Message edited by Texas_D -- 3/11/2011 11:07:38 PM >

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 5
RE: Rate these Axis openings 1-10 - 3/11/2011 11:07:06 PM   
Q-Ball

AGN is a 7. You could have moved an Infantry Corps to Riga to give yourself a headstart. You should have a full Panzer Corps across the Daugvina, not just one Division. I also wonder if you blew away more units than you needed to. But no pockets will be destroyed, and the Panzers made good progress. You did get Riga.

AGN is a 6. I think you again blew away more units than you needed to, there are a few units you can bypass and let wither on the way to Minsk. You should also be closer to Minsk than you are; Pz Gp 3 should easily be in the suburbs on Turn 1.

AGS is not very good, considering how much you borrowed from AGC. As Mynok pointed out, that Kovel pocket is easily broken (not sure why he didnt'?), and you used a whole pile of extra units. At least the Lvov pocket is bullet-proof.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 6
RE: Rate these Axis openings 1-10 - 3/11/2011 11:13:45 PM   
Ketza

Very good feedback. Thanks gang.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 7
RE: Rate these Axis openings 1-10 - 3/11/2011 11:30:12 PM   
CharonJr

I think there was even some risk that the Lvov pocket could have been broken way in the south (no ZOC on the rough there). And I think bombing the Soviet port and shipping 2 infantry divisions to Riga might have given you some additional punch there, too.

< Message edited by CharonJr -- 3/11/2011 11:31:36 PM >

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 8
RE: Rate these Axis openings 1-10 - 3/11/2011 11:43:54 PM   
Mynok

His Lvov pocket is pretty solid but good galloping goblins....half of 2nd Panzer is down there. HALF! Might as well give up Gomel and Kharkov cause they aren't going down anytime before doomsday.

(in reply to CharonJr)
Post #: 9
RE: Rate these Axis openings 1-10 - 3/11/2011 11:47:13 PM   
PeeDeeAitch

AGS - if you ship this much of AGC to the South, use them!  Blow past Rovno and breach the Stalin Line as well.  If you reinforce this much, then you must - must! - be as far forward as you can be.  Tanks are here because this is their country, use it.

AGC - way too much destruction - remove the front line units and encircle the rest. No need for an intermediary pocket, send 3rd Panzer (the 3-division corps) right up against Minsk and fanning out north of Minsk.  With only one Corps here, 2nd Panzer did about what was expected, but "drag" that motorized along the northern edge of the swamps to convert more hexes and make the pocket more secure.

AGN - I don't like it.  Too much secondary busting and the advance was not far enough.  The only tank attacks should be Riga and (maybe) Dagauvpils.  Every Armor should be across the Dvina.  All of those juicy routes should can usually be avoided as you exploit, and they (mostly) surrender on their own the next turn.  I haven't played a game since we figured out how to get infantry to Riga, but I would have 2 there now.

Overall, not enough audacity, and it seems as if you played it safe (the armor in the south, for instance).  Playing it safe means you will be far behind schedule.

My 2 cents.

"The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny."

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester

(in reply to CharonJr)
Post #: 10
RE: Rate these Axis openings 1-10 - 3/12/2011 7:54:37 AM   
CharonJr

As I said, I am not sure about the Soviet MPs down there, but I think the pocket is vulnerable there:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to PeeDeeAitch)
Post #: 11
RE: Rate these Axis openings 1-10 - 3/12/2011 12:07:10 PM   
2ndACR

He said this is start of German turn 2. So that Lvov pocket will not be broken.

AGN - 6 Those armor div HAVE to be across the river on turn 1

AGC - 6 You did not get close enough to Minsk, need to be next to or very close turn 1

AGS - 7 Just because I like to see new ideas floated. You will make a serious dent when you leap forward again.

Don't let anyone deter you. Keep trying out new strategies. Soon we will find a bullet proof one that the Russian just flat out cannot stop.

(in reply to CharonJr)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Rate these Axis openings 1-10 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI