Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Kelblau (Soviet) vs 2ndACR (German) GC 41

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> Kelblau (Soviet) vs 2ndACR (German) GC 41 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Kelblau (Soviet) vs 2ndACR (German) GC 41 - 3/8/2011 10:32:48 PM   
Kelblau

This AAR will be quite short. 2ndACR surrendered at turn 33, at the end of January 1942.

Here are 3 screenshots to give you an idea of what can be achieved against a good German player with a strong soviet winter offensive.

Basically, during the first part of the campaign, he managed to reach a line running roughly from the Luga river to the Crimean isthmus (south of the Dnepr bend) via a Rzhev-Poltava-D-Petrovsk line.

After 2 months of winter counteroffensive by 46 soviet regular and 4 shock armies, the following cities have been retaken :
In the north: Pskov, Velykie Luki,

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Kelblau -- 3/9/2011 1:38:39 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Kelblau (Soviet) vs 2ndACR (German) GC 41 - 3/8/2011 10:33:48 PM   
Kelblau

...in the center, the front has progressed westward by 20 hexes. The red army captured Vitebsk, Smolensk and Mogilev

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Kelblau -- 3/9/2011 1:40:03 PM >

(in reply to Kelblau)
Post #: 2
RE: Kelblau (Soviet) vs 2ndACR (German) GC 41 - 3/8/2011 10:35:05 PM   
Kelblau

..and in the south, Zhitomir, Cherkassy, Kirovograd have fallen.
Kiev is well fortified but threatened by an army coming out from the marshes and a front-level effort emerging from the Cherkassy bridgehead.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Kelblau -- 3/9/2011 1:43:21 PM >

(in reply to Kelblau)
Post #: 3
RE: Kelblau (Soviet) vs 2ndACR (German) GC 41 - 3/8/2011 10:37:22 PM   
Kelblau

Each regular army has 9 infantry divisions, 3 tank brigades or 1 cavalry corps and 1 tank bde, 2 sappers regiments and 2 arty rgts.
Each shock army has 9 infantry divisions, 1 cavalry corps, 3 tank brigades, 2 tank bns, 2 ski bns, 2 sappers rgts,2 arty rgts, 2 howitzer rgts, 2 AA rgts and 1 rocket launcher rgt.

At this point of the game, the fighting capabilities of the soviet armies are still real (most armies have 75%+ of their divisions in ready state and a majority of front line units TOE is more than 75% full).

Our opponent doesn't "think the German's can come back from the butt kicking. [His] average German div has 5500 men in it"

Both players share the same conclusions :
1/the blizzard penalty is ridiculously high for the German player
2/ the Soviet are bizarrely immune to extreme weather penalties.

I do not see how the 1941 Red Army would have been able to conduct such a massive and continuous advance from the Baltic to the Black Sea in harsh weather. Even in 1944 offensives of this magnitude were only possible during the Summer season.

< Message edited by Kelblau -- 3/22/2011 9:28:48 AM >

(in reply to Kelblau)
Post #: 4
RE: Kelblau (Soviet) vs 2ndACR (German) GC 41 - 3/9/2011 12:20:05 AM   
2ndACR

Hated to do it too. But there is no way a German player can come back from a 2 month long front wide 50 army offensive. Just no way. Okay, they might recover some strength, but they are going no where in 1942.

(in reply to Kelblau)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> Kelblau (Soviet) vs 2ndACR (German) GC 41 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI