Dealing with the Trolls

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

herwin

Dealing with the Trolls

Post by herwin »

Interesting article on what works and what doesn't.

"Ask him what he means....

"Agree with him (but use a softer language)....

"And eventually negotiate a common ground."
Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com
decaro

RE: Dealing with the Trolls

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: herwin

Interesting article on what works and what doesn't ...

I edit two controversial websites on Topix and IMO, I don't think any of these suggestions will work with "career" trolls.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

I have tried all three of those techniques on this forum. How do you think I got this Sigbanner nickname and banner (Thanks to USS America and Dixie)? I've also received many warnings , hate mail and threats. Those 3 suggestions might work for some people , but when I used them they simply enraged the trolls. And the one thing nastier than a troll is an enraged troll! [:D]
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

Interesting article on what works and what doesn't ...

I edit two controversial websites on Topix and IMO, I don't think any of these suggestions will work with "career" trolls.

nope. only sure fire way (besides banning) is to not feed the troll. Unfortunately in the case of this board's career troll....at least one person always ends up taking the bait....usually out of ignorance. As Mynok has said repeatedly.....green button is your friend.
pmelheck1

Post by pmelheck1 »

I agree the green button is your friend.  Some of the trolls I've seen don't care anything about common ground.  Even if you adapt there position they will change it to something else  just because they will never allow common ground.  I've met a few folks who really do enjoy hostility and no matter how you attempt to find common ground they will have no part of it.  Not to mention the I'm right and your wrong and I will not allow discussion types.
herwin

Post by herwin »

When I was at TRW, we had a guy in Accounting who enjoyed negotiating. He'd always try to get away with something outrageous on his federal tax return--not because he expected to win the argument outright, but because he figured he'd come out ahead in the negotiations. I guess he was the troll in accounting. So some people enjoy it. I don't.
Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com
ChickenOfTheSea

Post by ChickenOfTheSea »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

I have tried all three of those techniques on this forum. How do you think I got this Sigbanner nickname and banner (Thanks to USS America and Dixie)? I've also received many warnings , hate mail and threats. Those 3 suggestions might work for some people , but when I used them they simply enraged the trolls. And the one thing nastier than a troll is an enraged troll! [:D]

Steve,
Your efforts may not work, but we appreciate them anyway.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is. - Manfred Eigen
herwin

Post by herwin »

ORIGINAL: ChickenOfTheSea

Steve,

+1
Harry Erwin
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Just remember that it is estimated that one in every ten human beings is "disturbed" or has some sort of pychological issues. It is inevitiable then that some of them are going to post on forums.

I spent ten year in the Seafarers Union and there are crazy guys out there in spades.

There is only one rule to remember when dealing with crazy, and that is "that you don't f**K with crazy." [:-]
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
vonTirpitz

Post by vonTirpitz »

I whipped this up a few months back but never had a good chance to use it.

Feel free to reuse as you see fit... [:D]

Attachments
trollseason.jpg
trollseason.jpg (22.99 KiB) Viewed 138 times
SargeantTex

Post by SargeantTex »

Thats why political chat of an inflammatory nature has no business on this forum they have forums specifically for political debate and they have forums for alternate history debates but trolls will try to ruin any forum just to get a rise out of people for their own satisfaction!!! I troll but I troll the appropriate forums not forums for people just enjoying the greatest computer game ever designed!!
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Some people need to knock other people off balance to feel balanced themselves.  There are many ways of doing it and different people do different things.  For some of those who need it, if they can brew up a lot of trouble and get other people riled up, they will then feel better about themselves.  The internet has enabled these people to take out their destabilizing needs among people they have never met.

I've administered a mailing list for more than 12 years and the list has been around since 1993.  At one time it seemed like there were trolls showing up every month or so.  Some were coming over from another mailing list with the intent to cause trouble and go back to their mailing list and brag about their exploits.

The old timers learned the signs of a troll and circled the wagons whenever one showed up.  The list got a reputation of being a dull place for trolling and the trolls gave up.  Being reasonable with them is the first line of defense.  If they are determined to cause trouble, rather than just be heard or just upset, they will continue.  At that point, someone needs to name the game and then everyone else shuns them.  It usually works fairly well.  Trolling is very dull when nobody is willing to play along.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
SargeantTex

Post by SargeantTex »

plus simply ignoring them seems the fastest way to get rid of them banning doesnt work they just get a different username. everynow and then especially after about 4 beers I get the urge to feed the trolls and the political forums are the best bet they are not hard to spot they bite the first bait you throw as long as you keep responding they will troll.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Steve,

Many thanks![&o]
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Steve,

+1

And thank you too! [&o]
Sredni

Post by Sredni »

I've never really minded the trolls, they can add some amusement to the forums. The damage, imho, is done by the people who respond to the trolls anyways.

A useful and interesting thread can remain useful and interesting even vs the worst troll. What wrecks the thread is the people who feed them. Thread + 1 troll and everythings fine. Thread +1 troll and 2 excitable noobs responding to the troll and the thread is off base, ruined, and up to 20 pages of garbage in a matter of moments.

The trolls would have no impact if nobody paid them attention. So really I retain my disdain for the people who should know better and yet inevitably feed the trolls and ruin forums.
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

So, if I understand. What trolls do is troll for trouble and the best way to deal with a trolling troll is ignoring.
morganbj

Post by morganbj »

Yeah.  You can't nuke 'em.  Too bad.
Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

I like to take them out with my Rapier +3, The Weeping Blade...  oops! Sorry, wrong game... [8|]
fair winds,
Brad
herwin

Post by herwin »

ORIGINAL: bjmorgan

Yeah.  You can't nuke 'em.  Too bad.

Check this out.
Harry Erwin

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”