Matrix Games Forums

New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide - 6/23/2011 7:42:31 AM   
coolts

early morning pre-coffee mistake ;)
I was looking at the commanders report, not the production report. Interesting the way the way they interact. This onion has a lot of layers!

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 61
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide - 7/12/2011 2:46:23 AM   
Texasgrunt

Big Anorak's comments are right on. Wish I had read them before today.......LOL. Many fewer German boys would have died....

I am in mid-Feb in my first ver 1.03 blizzard (as the German of course). FOW on, normal difficulty. I managed to take Leningrad so have the Fins helping me. Moscow was cut off first mud turn mud hit and so they fell soon thereafter. About 4.5 million Russians out of the game at that point, about 600k Germans. The freeze was fine and I pushed on about 40 miles east and north of Yaroslavl and Ivanovo and Vladimir and on the outskirts of Murom. The Russian winter attack was not too bad the first few weeks, but then their increasing strength and my growing unit fatigue took its inevitable toll. It has been a struggle, but manageable. Hate to imagine it if there were 500k more Russians....even now, there are many St Valentine cards, sent by German women to their soldiers, which will not be delivered....at end of Turn 35 I have 1.47mill Axis losses vs 5.1million Russians.

I just checked and have 19.9k inf squads (3.8k damaged) but still wish I had more!

A few things I have discovered:
a) keep non-Finn allies in towms. They simply are worthless otherwise.
b) Rotate units from front line to towns and back. Unready back into towns to rest (lower fatigue), ready ones back to the front. Worked in WW1, still works here.
c) On the first day of blizzard, put an armor corps in reserve in a major city for the eventual emergency. Maybe two corps. Of course be sure it is on a rail line.
d) Units too far from the railheads (25 MP) seem to suffer worse blizzard attrition, do not recover fatigue as well, and generally are weaker. If you are way ahead of your railheads, get them caught up or consider dropping back a bit faster. I lost 500k men in the first blizzard month before I figured this out.
e) put sec units that garrison rear cities into Static mode to get more trucks. Saves APs and you can reactivate them in an emergency.
f) Fortified zones should be used sparingly (and maybe at 50% TOE max) and then disbanded if they are about to be attacked and forced to surrender. They don't help defense value much and the men are worth more than the hex. EXCEPTION: they can be used to begin fortifications in a 2d line, but generally only in towns as they take a long time to get Ready. Assigning them to local Corp or Army HQ seeems to help.
g) Construction units are more valuable than artillery. You can't generally hold the Russians long w/o a level 2 fort line and a level 3 fort is extremely tought for them to crack. Assign them Constr units to your corps, 2 per corps minimum. Especially do thie for the Rumanians - their HQ units have a lot of constr elements.
h) Once the fronts are all within 25 MP of railheads, connect the AG North, Center and South fronts with a N-S rail line...east of Kiev (Kharkov works well). It greatly shortens rail movement of reinforcements from front to front, if the situation become dire.
i) Upgrading German commanders is a must. Shoot the losers. But don't wast time upgrading Rumanian commanders - they are all duds.

Destroy the enemy's army, then you can do what you will with his land, cattle and women.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 62
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI