Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide - 3/6/2011 7:41:51 AM   
BigAnorak

I think, but have to double check, that you still need armaments points to get the men and rifles re-united, so I would still be using the techniques to decrease demand for artillery and increasing demand for squads.

(old version)It's only a game
(new version)Gary Grigsby's War in the East is not a game - it is a way of life!

War in the East Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to EntropyAvatar)
Post #: 31
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide - 3/6/2011 8:34:08 AM   
color

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigAnorak

Until I see hard evidence to the contrary, I have to believe Speedy's defences crumbled because he had 100k in fortified zones digging behind the lines, instead of 100k in the front lines fighting.

I stick with my suggestion to only build fortified zones if front line rifle squad strength is well above 16k.

I did a test and built 100 fortified positions from end nov '41 and ran through the blizzard turns in a game where no action was taken. I then compared the numbers to a similar run without forts.

The result was, with the forts, an increase in casualties in the range of 70k men. So the fortifications not only drained 180k ish manpower from the pool, with the forts low moral/exp they also substantially increased casualties.
On average 700 men in casualties per fortification, which is about 40% of the manpower (!).

And apparantly for little good, in the end only a few managed to build lvl 1 forts, and that was about it. I suspect a lot of them went unready.
Note that I left the forts under OKH control, so they probably would have dug in better if attached to a closer hq with constructions battalions.

Based on this my recommendation is to entirely skip building new fortification in blizzard, and I would consider disbanding existing ones to avoid the added casualties. With the exemption of the ones which can gain benefit from towns, urban & city hexes.
If the developers decide to add some protection from blizzard attrition to forts that would of course radically change that recommendation.

(in reply to BigAnorak)
Post #: 32
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide - 3/6/2011 5:19:13 PM   
EntropyAvatar

quote:

I think, but have to double check, that you still need armaments points to get the men and rifles re-united, so I would still be using the techniques to decrease demand for artillery and increasing demand for squads.

It doesn't seem to be the case, as I still have over 160k armaments points in the pool. I think it's just a limitation of the speed of bringing repaired squads forward. Each turn, many of the squads damaged by the blizzard get sent back for 'repair' (this is where all the manpower and pooled ground elements come from- after the first turn in January I am up to 800k manpower in the pool). However, it seems I can only bring about 200k to the front each turn, depending on how far the infantry are from the railheads I suppose.

I guess the bright side is that, while they are in the pool, at least those men aren't getting further blasted by the blizzard and so they aren't going onto the disabled list.

(in reply to BigAnorak)
Post #: 33
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide - 3/6/2011 5:38:29 PM   
BigAnorak

The limiting factor must be the "demand" that being in refit mode creates. Pavel knows how all this stuff works, so I will check with him. I think the maximum I every saw return in one turn, with everything on refit was about 250k.

(new version)Gary Grigsby's War in the East is not a game - it is a way of life!

Post #: 34
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide - 3/6/2011 6:17:31 PM   
Marquo

A question, please.

"V1.03 does not give any benefit or protection to units in entrenchments, so at the moment "dig in in September" strategies are not likely to meet with any real degree of success. "

If this is so, then why would why one, "Position your HQs and construction battalions to make maximum use of 15.3.2.2:" to construct forts?

Much thanks.

Marquo  

Post #: 35
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide - 3/6/2011 6:22:57 PM   
2ndACR

Forts help you in defense, but they do not do anything to save you from the massive attrition losses you suffer or the huge auto slash of CV values that occur.

(in reply to Marquo)
Post #: 36
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide - 3/6/2011 7:09:29 PM   
gingerbread

Could it be worth the manpower to build FZs on the E-W supply rail lines to guard agains partisans and para drops? North of the "No axis allies"-line, at least.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 37
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide - 3/6/2011 7:11:48 PM   
2ndACR

I don't think it would be worth it IMO. Manpower is precious for the Germans. Use your cavalry units for partisan clearing. 

(in reply to gingerbread)
Post #: 38
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide - 3/6/2011 7:18:30 PM   
BigAnorak

quote:

If this is so, then why would why one, "Position your HQs and construction battalions to make maximum use of 15.3.2.2:" to construct forts?

Sorry, I should have been clearer - I should have said "to maximise entrenchment levels" I will edit the post accordingly.

edit: The post contains a paste from the manual that refers to Fort levels, not Fortified Zones which are the units you build.

< Message edited by BigAnorak -- 3/6/2011 7:28:15 PM >

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 39
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide - 3/6/2011 7:26:57 PM   
BigAnorak

quote:

Could it be worth the manpower to build FZs on the E-W supply rail lines to guard agains partisans and para drops? North of the "No axis allies"-line, at least.

I have and do use fort zones as garrison boosters in major towns and cities, but never as rail road guards.

The paradrop threat is trivial, and a waste of Soviet resources in my opinion - Guard Para Corps can do far more damage in the long term compared to dropping and vanishing after a couple of turns.

I have seen threads complaining about partisan activities, but I find that if my garrisons are all "blue", then the 2 ss motorised and the ss cavalry are enough to manage the partisans.

(in reply to BigAnorak)
Post #: 40
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide - 3/7/2011 3:31:02 PM   
comsolut

Thanks for the detailed numbers on the German Rifle Squads, how to find them, and steps to maximize. May seem tedious but an army runs on logistics.

I have made notes and will apply accordingly.

(in reply to BigAnorak)
Post #: 41
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide - 3/8/2011 5:10:35 AM   
randallw

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

quote:

The Slovaks are borderline, but the Hungarians and Rumanians morale needs to be in the 70s to give them any chance of surviving an attack, and we have seen some players train them up to this level.

It will NOT happen anymore, for games started with v 1.03 Beta 3, and beyond, due to the morale changes. Those are things of the past.

Let me rephrase that...

It won't happen, unless you keep them away from the frontlines, in good supply, for a 100 turns, or so. They won't be able to get that high in combat anymore. Unless, of course, you're running an old version, or have grandfathered in some high morale Axis minors from a game started with the earlier versions. Training them up in combat is a fool's errand these days.

The way I understand the morale changes there's a chance a unit loses a point if it's morale is over 30 above the national morale; the Axis minors can still reach 70 ( that's 30 above their national 40 ), the problem is holding it.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 42
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide - 3/9/2011 3:09:42 PM   
Q-Ball

quote:

quote:

But population can leave some of the bigger towns. So, is that die roll based on the towns ACTUAL Manpower, or the CAPACITY? If it's originally a size-4 town, but 1 Manpower took off, is the die roll 4 or 3?

Good point; don't know; will kick it upstairs.

Bob: Did you ever find out the answer?

(in reply to BigAnorak)
Post #: 43
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide - 3/9/2011 5:24:57 PM   
BigAnorak

Pavel says it is based on the capacity.

< Message edited by BigAnorak -- 3/9/2011 5:26:22 PM >

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 44
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide - 3/17/2011 8:22:05 PM   
JocMeister

Just went through my first winter. Ouch!

Thought I was doing fine up until turn 34 when 16th Army just crumbled. Soon after that most of AGC buckled and routed. AGS had done extremly well thou! And I will never ever complain about the Romanians again. They held their own!

Your guide was very helpful thou!

(in reply to BigAnorak)
Post #: 45
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide - 3/17/2011 8:37:05 PM   
2ndACR

HUH? The Romanians crumble like a deck of cards stacked on edge. Except for the mountain brigades. Just about every Russian will aim right for the 11th Army sector during the winter just for that reason.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 46
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide - 3/17/2011 9:31:44 PM   
JocMeister

Just stack them high and deep! I rotated them around when damage started to get to high! I put a whole bunch of them on digging trenches behind there own lines. So fresh ones in the front and the damaged one digging. Worked wonders!

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 47
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide - 3/20/2011 5:21:46 PM   
Infanteer

I'm about to enter my second blizzard. In my first blizzard I tried building a fort line on the Dnepr and rivers all the way to Leningrad. You can only guess how that went.

Now I'm reading in the manual that first blizzard rules only apply east of the 72 hex line. In the northern and central regions. This means a little east of the Baltic rail line/Minsk. In the southern region, hexes south of the northern Romanian border with the U.S.S.R and roughly south of Kirovograd, the region extends west into Romania. If I read this correct, your units west of these lines don't suffer the debilitating first winter rules. So why all the fuss about shipping units to the Europe weather zone? Just move anything you want to preserve to the Minsk region.

Am I missing something here?

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 48
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide - 3/20/2011 5:44:34 PM   
2ndACR

Nope, any area that says blizzard will see your units get clobbered. 11th Army will crumble with a few love taps from a few Russians.

Your German infantry will be roughly 2CV with a lot of 1CV after the first full blizzard turn and then they get massacred.

(in reply to Infanteer)
Post #: 49
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide - 3/20/2011 5:52:27 PM   
Infanteer

Hmm...must be an error in the manual then....

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 50
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide - 3/20/2011 5:55:03 PM   
2ndACR

Not sure but I know for sure that anything east of Odessa is toast down south.

Once Jan hits you will find a lot of your German infantry div with 7000 men and heading for unready status.

(in reply to Infanteer)
Post #: 51
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide - 3/20/2011 8:56:34 PM   
randallw

Infanteer may have the basic idea correct; any area with a blizzard is bad, it's the areas mentioned in the manual where there is the first-blizzard penalty.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 52
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide - 3/20/2011 9:19:35 PM   
2ndACR

Maybe. Not sure. I start the blizzard with a box of tissues anyway.

But I am trying the slow pull back method and it does have some promise. but after about 3 turns of blizzard, the divisions are getting critical manpower wise.

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 53
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide - 3/22/2011 9:04:19 AM   
sillyflower

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

Maybe. Not sure. I start the blizzard with a box of tissues anyway.

So do Russian players (sorry)

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 54
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide - 3/27/2011 10:54:40 PM   
sillyflower

My opponent is trying von Robin. Total axis casualties by end of winter likely to be only 1.5M and he has 400K manpower and arms point to spare (mid Jan)

However Russian front line likely to be Riga-Minsk- Vitebsk-Odessa or possibly quite a bit further West down there. Finns have Leningrad. Interesting to see how long it will take to crush him as we are playing to historical result not game VPs

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to BigAnorak)
Post #: 55
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide - 3/28/2011 6:47:42 PM   
Aditia

2 questions:

1> Is there anyway to adjust TOE through Commander's Report for an entire family of formations. For example I can select 'Yth Army' units, but this only shows subordinate hq's and combat formations directly attached to this army. If I know I have a certain Army in the rear that I want to adjust TOE for, do I need to manually click each subordinate HQ, to set the TOE for the combat units assigned to that HQ (and each division to set TOE for attached SU) or am I missing something?

2> When you say, adjust TOE of SU that use artillery, do you mean any SU that uses guns? like FlAK, AT guns etc. Or just the units that show when you click on 'Art'

< Message edited by Aditia -- 3/28/2011 6:48:30 PM >

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 56
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide - 3/28/2011 7:27:08 PM   
BigAnorak

quote:

> Is there anyway to adjust TOE through Commander's Report for an entire family of formations. For example I can select 'Yth Army' units, but this only shows subordinate hq's and combat formations directly attached to this army. If I know I have a certain Army in the rear that I want to adjust TOE for, do I need to manually click each subordinate HQ, to set the TOE for the combat units assigned to that HQ (and each division to set TOE for attached SU) or am I missing something?

2> When you say, adjust TOE of SU that use artillery, do you mean any SU that uses guns? like FlAK, AT guns etc. Or just the units that show when you click on 'Art'

Re 1: Yes, via the CR report if you click on the HQ tab, you can drill down from high to low level formations.

Re 2: Yes, every flak and AT "tube" costs armaments points, so the demand needs to be reduced.

(in reply to Aditia)
Post #: 57
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide - 5/28/2011 1:14:58 AM   
Pelton

Great guide.

(in reply to BigAnorak)
Post #: 58
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide - 6/23/2011 7:12:58 AM   
coolts

quote:

If you click on the Production report (p), then look at the line for rifle squads, you will see a number in the right hand column (units). If you click on this you will see this:

Im being dense here, but i cant see any line that specifically lets me sort by rifle squads here. Can someone help?

(in reply to BigAnorak)
Post #: 59
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide - 6/23/2011 7:23:59 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: coolts

quote:

If you click on the Production report (p), then look at the line for rifle squads, you will see a number in the right hand column (units). If you click on this you will see this:

Im being dense here, but i cant see any line that specifically lets me sort by rifle squads here. Can someone help?

Follow BA's instructions explicitly.

1. Click on Info Screens Tab
2. Click on Production Report
3. Scan down to the production item Ge Rifle Squads.
4. In the right-most column for this line entry, click on the hyperlinked number (number of units using this item).
5. You now have the Commanders Report open and showing units with Ge Rifle Squads as part of their TOE.
6. Look in the information near the top of this report, and you will see the total number of ready Ge Rifle Squads.
7. Done.

(in reply to coolts)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI