Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Any update on the ETA of new patch?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> RE: Any update on the ETA of new patch? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Any update on the ETA of new patch? - 4/20/2011 1:19:31 AM   
Arjuna

We now have the Game, ScenMaker and MapMaker running under VS2010. However, we are still to get the EstabMaker to compile under VS2010. Hopefully we can fix this within the next week and then get back to work on the patch. Thanks for your patience.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Antares367)
Post #: 31
RE: Any update on the ETA of new patch? - 5/2/2011 2:46:15 PM   
sharper

any further news?

All the best
Stephen

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 32
RE: Any update on the ETA of new patch? - 5/3/2011 12:55:37 AM   
Arjuna

We're still working on the EstabMaker. I can't put out a new build for testing till we get that working.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to sharper)
Post #: 33
RE: Any update on the ETA of new patch? - 5/4/2011 1:41:24 AM   
MarkShot

Dave,

I am still waiting for the BFTB HD app on the iPad2. Clicking on counters is so yesterday. I want to be able to multi-touch, tie in the battlefields with Google Maps/YP, and know where the best pizza can be found North of the Arnhem rail bridge ... you and Paul really have to pick up the pace here! :)

Panther Games (RDOA/HTTR/COTA/BFTB) Beta Tester

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 34
RE: Any update on the ETA of new patch? - 5/17/2011 12:45:34 PM   
phoenix

Well, for what it's worth, Dave - here's the question again - is there any timetable at all for getting the HTTR add-on out? Here I am - like many others, I suspect - ready and willing to pay for it. I'm not so bothered about the update, which is what, I believe, you keep referring to when you mention the VS2010 problems - is the update connected to the HTTR add-on - or can we have the add-on now, whilst you're still working on the update?

Has the defence contract worked out? I ask not only out of concern for your financial well-being, but because you hinted that if it ever went ahead in some form or other you might end up producing a tactical size product using the same model as the BFTB engine (which I would love to pay for!) Will that happen?

Thanks

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 35
RE: Any update on the ETA of new patch? - 5/18/2011 1:34:55 AM   
Arjuna

phoenix,

It's been a frustrating time for us here on the games front. Paul finally fixed the issue that prevented the EstabManager from compiling but now the release versions of the ScenMaker, MapMaker and Game won't compile because of another issue. Paul is now looking into that. We need both the debug and release versions to compile before we can release a new comprehensive build for testing.

I have been trying to debug AI issues but it's bloody difficult when the debugger under VS2010 reports all string variables as <Bad Ptr>. This is a known issue with VS2010 and MS say they are working on it. Their suggested workarounds have all failed to deliver for our project for one reason or another. It's making it nigh impossible to identify which unit or item of equipment I am dealing with when stepping through the game. If it's any comfort we're not the only developers complaining about this. But it's largely out of our hands. If you have any pull at MS give them both barrels please.

So where does this all leave things. The HTTR expansion needs to be playbalanced and tested. We can't do that till we can put out a new build. I can't do a comprehensive build till Paul can fix these other issues with the release versions of the apps. Hopefully he can address these next week but he's working part time on this. In the meantime I have made lots of tweaks to address most of the issues reported but I cannot really test to see if these are working as designed till MS fix their VS2010.

Re Defence. We are currently waiting to see if Defence are going to fund the development. The Govt delivered its budget last week and Defence was forced to make some significant cuts. So who knows. We won't know till mid June whether or not it will go ahead. But even if it does we'll probably have to go through a tender process and that can take some time and we may not win the tender. Welcome to the joys of doing business with Defence. ;)

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 36
RE: Any update on the ETA of new patch? - 5/18/2011 8:15:49 AM   
phoenix

Thanks for the answer, Dave. Bad news, then, for all of us waiting for the HTTR add-on. I'll have to revert to playing HTTR itself. Looks like there's no timetable, in effect, if you're hanging on a solution from MS.... From what Paul had said in earlier posts I had thought that the add-on was done beta testing etc, but now I see that it depends upon you solving things with the new build.

Good luck with the military. Hope you have a day job meanwhile!

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 37
RE: Any update on the ETA of new patch? - 5/18/2011 12:42:32 PM   
Wiggum

@ Arjuna

I just hope you guys will continue to make wargames (Command Ops series) !
After all im pretty sure that Panther Games is by far my favorite game developer and you have for sure done some of the greatest wargames of all time !

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 38
RE: Any update on the ETA of new patch? - 5/18/2011 9:19:31 PM   
parmenio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

This is a known issue with VS2010 and MS say they are working on it.

I have to wonder why you bothered to upgrade part way through the project life cycle.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 39
RE: Any update on the ETA of new patch? - 5/19/2011 1:26:17 AM   
Arjuna

We upgraded at the end of a cycle - ie the release of BFTB. We had been on VS2008 for three years and VS2010 had been out for over six months. I admit I should have investigated more thoroughly but hey life has been very full, too full in fact, so my bad on that one.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to parmenio)
Post #: 40
RE: Any update on the ETA of new patch? - 5/19/2011 6:12:41 AM   
parmenio

quote:

We upgraded at the end of a cycle - ie the release of BFTB.

I was referring to patch/expansion pack rather than BFTB.

quote:

We had been on VS2008 for three years and VS2010 had been out for over six months.

I resisted going for it until SP1 was out. I had been waiting for some quiet time to upgrade (god knows when) but issues like yours means I think I'll wait for SP2.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 41
RE: Any update on the ETA of new patch? - 5/19/2011 6:20:46 AM   
Arjuna

Yeh probably wise.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to parmenio)
Post #: 42
RE: Any update on the ETA of new patch? - 5/19/2011 6:22:41 PM   
gabeeg

Dave, If it makes you feel any better at work we updated to 2010 for an upcoming release and ran into so many compile issues and byte alignment issues we were forced to go back to our old compiler.... :( wasted about a month... you are not alone.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 43
RE: Any update on the ETA of new patch? - 5/20/2011 1:05:17 AM   
Arjuna

gabeeg,

Well on the one hand that makes me feel like I'm not alone but I really don't want to have to roll back to VS2008 and reimplement all the changes we have made since then. Either way it's PAIN!

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to gabeeg)
Post #: 44
RE: Any update on the ETA of new patch? - 5/20/2011 9:44:36 AM   
ulisin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wiggum

@ Arjuna

I just hope you guys will continue to make wargames (Command Ops series) !
After all im pretty sure that Panther Games is by far my favorite game developer and you have for sure done some of the greatest wargames of all time !

I agree

(in reply to Wiggum)
Post #: 45
RE: Any update on the ETA of new patch? - 6/9/2011 10:18:07 PM   
sharper

Any further news?

All the best
Stephen

(in reply to ulisin)
Post #: 46
RE: Any update on the ETA of new patch? - 6/10/2011 1:42:34 AM   
Arjuna

Not really. I took the plunge in desperation and installed SP1 for VS2010 despite there being a fair bit of flak about it on the dev forums. We're trying to resolve some project setting issues and until we get these done we won't know whether the SP1 fixes the corruption of the strings in the debugger which is the prime issue at the moment. I know it's frustrating and I am sorry for the delays.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to sharper)
Post #: 47
RE: Any update on the ETA of new patch? - 6/12/2011 1:09:06 PM   
sharper

Thanks for the update. Is there a "plan B"?
Looks like VS2010 may be a deal breaker?

It will the first anniversary of my first patch enquiry post soon. I stopped playing this great game last September looking forward to the patch. I'm starting to feel very glum BFTB wise.

All the best
Stephen

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 48
RE: Any update on the ETA of new patch? - 6/12/2011 2:49:57 PM   
BK6583

quote:

It will the first anniversary of my first patch enquiry post soon. I stopped playing this great game last September looking forward to the patch. I'm starting to feel very glum BFTB wise.

Well too bad! I also have been waiting for this patch which I had hoped and assumed would make a good game an excellent game. :-{

(in reply to sharper)
Post #: 49
RE: Any update on the ETA of new patch? - 6/12/2011 3:11:10 PM   
sharper

Thanks BK6583. I admire your patience. Mine is now to worn a little thin. I think it time for Dave & Co to sort this as matter of the utmost priority. As much as I can sympathise with ongoing software problems, I feel that the time this patch has taken is unacceptable.

< Message edited by sharper -- 6/12/2011 6:56:59 PM >

All the best
Stephen

(in reply to BK6583)
Post #: 50
RE: Any update on the ETA of new patch? - 6/13/2011 5:09:05 PM   
wodin

Why should they sort it as a matter of priority...there aren't really any game stopping bugs..so anything they do do in the patch is upto them...they don't even need to release one if they don't want to...I think some of you think a patch to a game that is working is owed you for some reason...it's not...you get it as an added bonus...so I think you all should be grateful there is going to be a patch at some point in the first place...and quit this moaning...

(in reply to sharper)
Post #: 51
RE: Any update on the ETA of new patch? - 6/13/2011 5:16:44 PM   
sharper

I think this product deserves a better attitude than shut up and make do.

All the best
Stephen

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 52
RE: Any update on the ETA of new patch? - 6/13/2011 5:34:38 PM   
phoenix

Well, the patch is a nice idea, but it's the add-on I want. The arnhem scenarios were my favourite and I want to play them in the BFTB format. BFTB works so much better than HTTR, I think. I still haven't had a definitive answer - I don't think - on whether the add-on (for which we will be charged, and for which I will happily pay) is inextricably linked to the patch, but I wish it wasn't. because it's clear the patch is going nowhere fast.

And why should Panther do anything for us? To make money. So if they've got a better way of doing that they will. After all, it's only a game. It's seems pretty clear that they have other priorities right now and I can't blame them. I'm guessing, but I would assume no one makes anywhere near enough to live on by making niche games for a niche corner of a niche market. There's no obligation on them to do anything at all. Obviously. And also no obligation on anyone to be 'grateful' they are doing a patch or anything else. We paid good money (in my case, on every single iteration of the AA engine thus far) - I could moan, but I wouldn't have a clue why they would listen. On the other hand, since it's economics that decide whether anyone has the motivation to spend all their spare time producing patches and add-ons, I don't suppose that anything said by any of the handful of people still posting here about BFTB is going to make any difference to anything at all. So might as well let people moan. :)

That all said - as I understand it (and I'm really really grateful for this) - all the work on the add-on has been done, even the beta testing and balancing, so I'll just put in my moan and ask why we can't get it out and then Panther could at least make some money on that work!

(in reply to sharper)
Post #: 53
RE: Any update on the ETA of new patch? - 6/13/2011 5:36:59 PM   
phoenix

Now, if I were Bill Gates, I might say - hey Dave! How much do you need to do the patch and these six add-ons of my choice over the next year or so? Just give me the bill. I'd commission the tactical version too. That kind of talk might make a diff....

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 54
RE: Any update on the ETA of new patch? - 6/13/2011 6:02:49 PM   
sharper

Its more bloody frustration than anything else.

If this going to take another six months or a year, then I will with great sadness forget BFTB.

All the best
Stephen

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 55
RE: Any update on the ETA of new patch? - 6/13/2011 11:31:17 PM   
simovitch

I suppose the HTTR scenario pack could be released half-baked before the patch but I really wanted the issues with exiting units looked at, since most of the new scenarios include this condition for victory points. There were a couple of other minor issues but no real gamestoppers and I would say the scenarios and UK estab overhaul are very nearly complete except for some final balancing.

It is indeed unfortunate that this VS2010 snag has disallowed final playtesting after I spent hundreds of hours over the last few years developing them. Alas they will come... it's just a matter of when.

simovitch

(in reply to sharper)
Post #: 56
RE: Any update on the ETA of new patch? - 6/14/2011 2:25:19 AM   
Lieste

Depends on how long the patch can be expected to be.. if there is another month of VS2010 problems, and then at least a few more of fixing and tweaking/testing, then it might be beneficial to push the HTTR expansion sooner, and patch the scenarios if needed. OTOH, if SP1 has fixed the worst of the problems, and all tests as working as designed, then incorporating the two is easier and makes sense to revise the scenarios before release to use the modified code and subsequent balance changes.

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 57
RE: Any update on the ETA of new patch? - 6/14/2011 4:08:54 AM   
Panther Paul

Well, some progress. One of the two issues has been resolved.

Fingers crossed the last issue is also resolved this week.

Paul Scobell
Panther Games Pty Ltd

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 58
RE: Any update on the ETA of new patch? - 6/15/2011 12:54:56 AM   
Arjuna

As Paul mentions we got the game project compiling now under SP1 of VS2010. I have just checked it out and it does not fix the string corruption problem. I have this morning gone back onto the MSDN forums to see if we can get MS to address this issue. In the meantime we are going to explore options for a workaround with the new SP1 version of Visual Studio.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Panther Paul)
Post #: 59
RE: Any update on the ETA of new patch? - 6/15/2011 8:36:03 AM   
wodin

I'd like to know whats so wrong with BftB at the moment that make you give up on it if no patch comes out? I for one can play quite happly...where are these game breaking experience ruining bugs?

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> RE: Any update on the ETA of new patch? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI