Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pride goes before a Fall Blau - 42-45 GC AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> Pride goes before a Fall Blau - 42-45 GC AAR Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pride goes before a Fall Blau - 42-45 GC AAR - 2/27/2011 6:04:08 PM   
Tarhunnas

So I'm starting a new 42-45 campaign PBEM, now as the Germans. Full FOW, random weather. This time I will write up the AAR as I go along, but I will delay the posts a turn or two so as not to give anything away to enemy intelligence.

< Message edited by Tarhunnas -- 3/2/2011 8:19:12 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Pride goes before a Fall Blau - 42-45 GC AAR - 2/27/2011 6:06:39 PM   
PeeDeeAitch

Good luck!  Remember the best way to win is to not lose.

"The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny."

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 2
RE: Pride goes before a Fall Blau - 42-45 GC AAR - 3/1/2011 6:21:33 PM   
Tarhunnas

First turn. I am attempting a rather ambitious encirclement in the south. I am not sure it will hold, but even if it doesn't, It will hopefully leave a lot of Soviet units out on a limb and easy pickings for next turn. I have taken Voroshilovgrad and put a unit next too Rostov to prevent evacuation of the industry. Rostov should fall next turn, or at least be ripe for encirclement.
My first target in the center is to capture Voronezh. But above all, the object is to destroy the Soviet forces west of the Don. My long term campaign objective will remain secret for a couple of turns more...

In the north i have encircled the tip of the Soviet penetration towards Smolensk. I am trying to do a thorough job here to prevent the russkies making trouble for me like I did to the Germans the last time.

Here is a map of the Rzev sector after Germann turn one.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to PeeDeeAitch)
Post #: 3
RE: Pride goes before a Fall Blau - 42-45 GC AAR - 3/1/2011 6:23:20 PM   
Tarhunnas

And here is the area around Voronezh. As you can see, an ambitious encirclement (for 1942 conditions). Hope it holds...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 4
RE: Pride goes before a Fall Blau - 42-45 GC AAR - 3/1/2011 6:25:45 PM   
Tarhunnas

And here is the southern sector after turn one. Vorozhilovgrad taken and a whole bag of russsians in the sack. But will it hold...? My aim is not only to push the Soviets back but to destroy them!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 5
RE: Pride goes before a Fall Blau - 42-45 GC AAR - 3/1/2011 7:50:39 PM   
CharonJr

Nope, the encirclement in the second screenshot will not hold and I have doubts about the one in the third screenshot as well ;)

< Message edited by CharonJr -- 3/1/2011 8:27:55 PM >

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 6
RE: Pride goes before a Fall Blau - 42-45 GC AAR - 3/1/2011 10:12:51 PM   
Tarhunnas

Right, it didn't hold, the russians managed to squiggle through and open a supply line. But they are still in a precarious situation and I improve my positions, moving the panzers forward and aiming for an even bigger encirclement. In the South, Rostov has been encircled, but I don't have the resources in place to storm it yet. Shot from end of German turn 2.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Tarhunnas -- 3/1/2011 10:17:26 PM >

(in reply to CharonJr)
Post #: 7
RE: Pride goes before a Fall Blau - 42-45 GC AAR - 3/1/2011 10:15:53 PM   
Tarhunnas

To the west of Voronezh I make some smaller pockets. I know there are plenty of Soviet reserves to the north, and I don't want them crashing into my flank, so I establish a solid line to ward off any counterattack from the north...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 8
RE: Pride goes before a Fall Blau - 42-45 GC AAR - 3/1/2011 10:25:42 PM   
Tarhunnas

BTW I have issued a Fuhrer directive:

1. The first object of the campaign is to destroy the Soviet forces to the West of the Don. Further operations to follow subsequent orders.

2. No Rumanians in the frontline! They only create dangers.

3. No Hungarians in the frontline! They only create dangers.

4. Absolutely no Italians in the frontline! They only create dangers.

5. Allied forces are to be used only for mopping up operations and as garrisons. In garrisons, only numbers count, and a Rumanian can oppress the local population just as well as a German, but in the front, quality counts.

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 9
RE: Pride goes before a Fall Blau - 42-45 GC AAR - 3/2/2011 3:13:41 AM   
cap_and_gown

I don't like this use of regiments in 42. This is not 41. Even in 41 regiments can be smacked around, but in 42 you are just asking to get hit by a soviet corps.

Also, the Romanians may stink, but the Hungarians might be OK if used to hold a major river line, such as along the Don. Particularly if they are stacked. You have numerous German infantry regiments holding the front line around Velikiye Luki that are even weaker than the Hungarians.

Also, whats happening with the 11th Army? I take it you smashed Sevastopol on turn 1, yes? So now what happens with 11 Army? That is 6 fresh divisions you can use to reinforce you front! Using the Romanians to garrison the Crimea might be a good use for them.

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 10
RE: Pride goes before a Fall Blau - 42-45 GC AAR - 3/2/2011 3:19:37 AM   
2ndACR

Train them up and they get really good. But you have to babysit them to be sure.

(in reply to cap_and_gown)
Post #: 11
RE: Pride goes before a Fall Blau - 42-45 GC AAR - 3/2/2011 3:23:36 AM   
jjdenver

I'm glad to see a 42 GC AAR. It will be interesting to watch.

FYI - I could be wrong but I think the industry could rail out of Rostov on turn 1 - just having a unit adjacent shouldn't block it - you have to ZOC the rail line I think - but I could be wrong.

Good luck!

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 12
RE: Pride goes before a Fall Blau - 42-45 GC AAR - 3/2/2011 5:12:10 AM   
Klydon

No rail movement next to enemy units, so the Rostov industry is not going anywhere.

I just happen to fire this scenario up as the Russians vs the German AI and the Russian rail is tough the first turn of the game. They have several cities that are fairly close to the front lines that need to have stuff moved out. This pretty much means there won't be a lot of help coming down for SW and Southern Fronts. Bryansk front has several tank corps, but the tank corps at this stage are not very strong. They are more dangerous to the Axis because they can flip the extra hexes and don't pay the movement penalty of smaller than division units. In comparison to a tank brigade, they motor very well in enemy territory, so the Axis need to watch for that or find his panzers out of supply really fast. This also makes it really hard to make pockets hold.

Something else to note as the Axis is where the Russian shock armies start at. Three are on the western side of the NW Front area of operations and the last one is up on the rail line just below the Svir River where the Finns are at. None are going any place right off the bat with most of their units on static and the Russian AP's being what they are.

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 13
RE: Pride goes before a Fall Blau - 42-45 GC AAR - 3/2/2011 5:48:10 AM   
molchomor

Hi, yes nice to see a 42 AAR. Is this on normal difficulty level btw ? Those lvl3/4 forts that the russians have at start for sure did not do much to slow you down.

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 14
RE: Pride goes before a Fall Blau - 42-45 GC AAR - 3/2/2011 8:15:58 AM   
Tarhunnas

quote:

ORIGINAL: molchomor

Hi, yes nice to see a 42 AAR. Is this on normal difficulty level btw ? Those lvl3/4 forts that the russians have at start for sure did not do much to slow you down.

Thanks for the encouragement! This is PBEM against a human opponent, Full FOW, random weather, normal difficulty. I didn't notice any level 3/4 forts though, except in Rostov, most of those in the front were lvl 1/2.

BTW the random weather has not yet impacted front operations, but an unseasonable rainfall in july ruined the Fuhrers vacation at the Berghof. As a result, some changes have been made to the management of the Reich weather forecasting bureau.

(in reply to molchomor)
Post #: 15
RE: Pride goes before a Fall Blau - 42-45 GC AAR - 3/2/2011 8:25:20 AM   
Tarhunnas

quote:

ORIGINAL: cap_and_gown

I don't like this use of regiments in 42. This is not 41. Even in 41 regiments can be smacked around, but in 42 you are just asking to get hit by a soviet corps.

I agree, I will be have to be very careful, but in some situations there just aren't enough mobile divisions to seal the pockets, so I will have to take some risks. For the turn 2 encirclements I could use the Don to help with flank protection.

quote:

ORIGINAL: cap_and_gown
Also, whats happening with the 11th Army? I take it you smashed Sevastopol on turn 1, yes? So now what happens with 11 Army? That is 6 fresh divisions you can use to reinforce you front! Using the Romanians to garrison the Crimea might be a good use for them.

They are presently sitting around Kursk. I haven't decided yet just where I am to fritter them away . I keep them as a kind of resrve. I do expect trouble in the Voronezh region, as that is the logical place for the Soviets to stir up trouble with the plentiful reserves available around Moscow (at least, that is what I did when playing the Soviets).

< Message edited by Tarhunnas -- 3/2/2011 8:26:12 AM >

(in reply to cap_and_gown)
Post #: 16
RE: Pride goes before a Fall Blau - 42-45 GC AAR - 3/2/2011 2:55:37 PM   
Tarhunnas

Fuhrer directive number 2

1. Further operations during 1942 will not have the purpose to take geographical
objectives, but rather to deal blows to the enemy forces that will establish
favorable conditions for a continuation of the war in 1943. (=delay the enemy
entry into Berlin, but we will not tell that to the troops).

2. Blocking positions shall be established in the region of Rostov to protect
the southern flank against enemy offensive actions (see map).

3. Blocking positions shall be established in the region of Voronezh to protect
the northern flank against enemy offensive actions.

4. In the area Voronezh-Boguchar and east, mobile operations will take place
with the aim to engage the enemy in a war of maneuver where our superior
mobility will enable us to cut off and destroy enemy forces. Geographical
targets are only to be pursued in so far as a threat to them will force the
enemy to react in a way favorable to our operations.

5. The northern part of the front will only react to destroy enemy attempts at penetration.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Tarhunnas -- 3/2/2011 2:56:15 PM >

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 17
RE: Pride goes before a Fall Blau - 42-45 GC AAR - 3/2/2011 3:02:14 PM   
Tarhunnas

Turn 3.

Our giant encirclement holds! Enormous masses of enemy troops are trapped i a giant kessel to the west of the Don! Mopping up opperations by our infantry yield unimaginable hordes of prisoners and piles of enemy captured equipment! Thiis is like te heady days off 1941! Maybe the Soviets are at the end of their ropes after all...?

Start of German turn 3 with pocket to the north of Voroshilovgrad.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 18
RE: Pride goes before a Fall Blau - 42-45 GC AAR - 3/2/2011 3:09:06 PM   
Tarhunnas

The Soviet positions appear weak. Northwest of Voronezh we have an opportunity for a further pocket, and we take it...

Shot after German turn 3.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 19
RE: Pride goes before a Fall Blau - 42-45 GC AAR - 3/2/2011 3:17:14 PM   
Tarhunnas

In the south, Soviet resistance crumbles. Audaucious panzer commanders find the way to the east unbarred, except by weak remnants of Soviet formations, that dissolve like the steppe wind when approached. Stalingrad beckons just 6 hexes away from our spearheads. But is this smart? Our plans are forgotten. Following targets of opportunity has resulted in two diverging axes of advance (see map), and there are ominous reports of Soviet reserves assembling north of Boguchar (red circle)...

Strange how you can continue to do something stupid, even though you have a feeling this is not very smart... wonder if they felt the same way at the OKH...? Next turn will tell if we have put our panzer head into a noose.

Map of southern sector after German turn 3.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 20
RE: Pride goes before a Fall Blau - 42-45 GC AAR - 3/2/2011 3:28:08 PM   
Tarhunnas

Turn 4.

The Voronezh pocket holds. However, our panzer spearheads west of Stalingrad are asssailed by enemy forces, but their feeble attempts at counterattacks are easily repulsed. However, our panzers need to be extricated. Hope this does not involve us in fighting we do not want...

West of Stalingrad, start of German turn 4.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 21
RE: Pride goes before a Fall Blau - 42-45 GC AAR - 3/2/2011 4:33:49 PM   
Klydon

Really surprised that Russian tank corps that is next to the Slovakian motorized unit did not sweep just a bit further west to regain contact with the pocket. Now, any attack you make there will cause them to surrender where if he had re-established contact, any attacks would have likely resulted in units routing out of the pocket or it would force you to take another turn to reestablish the pocket.

I will be interested to see what sort of restraint you can place on yourself with very few forces left in front of you to keep your lines somewhat short. I would also think you would look to take some measures up north in order to try to shorten your lines up a bit over time.

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 22
RE: Pride goes before a Fall Blau - 42-45 GC AAR - 3/2/2011 5:01:01 PM   
Tarhunnas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Klydon

Really surprised that Russian tank corps that is next to the Slovakian motorized unit did not sweep just a bit further west to regain contact with the pocket. Now, any attack you make there will cause them to surrender where if he had re-established contact, any attacks would have likely resulted in units routing out of the pocket or it would force you to take another turn to reestablish the pocket.

I don't think they hade the MP, there is a river in front.

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 23
RE: Pride goes before a Fall Blau - 42-45 GC AAR - 3/2/2011 5:09:27 PM   
Tarhunnas

Yes, I did put myself in trouble! There are enourmous amounts of Soviet units in the Don bend, and I can't reach my cut off advanced divisions! They will have to hold out for another turn with air supply!

In the north, I cut off Vlasov and 2d shock army outside Leningrad in a carefullly prepared operation!

On the Voronezh front, the pocket is duly eliminated and Voronezh taken. I sense a weakness north of Voronezh, there doesn't seem to be much Soviet strength in the area... But I keep my panzers back, they need to rest some after the previous 3 tuurns of headlong advance.

In the south, surrounded Rostov is captured. I had been joyriding a bit with SS Wiking south of Rostov, cutting the railroad between Stalingrad and Krasnnodar, but they were tar-babied by hordes of 1=1s and had to be extricated.

Shot of the area west of Stalingrad after German turn 4. Not a good situation, but such are the fruits of overconfidence...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 24
RE: Pride goes before a Fall Blau - 42-45 GC AAR - 3/2/2011 6:02:43 PM   
gids

idd didnt have the MP to go over the river :(

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 25
RE: Pride goes before a Fall Blau - 42-45 GC AAR - 3/2/2011 6:10:23 PM   
Tarhunnas

quote:

ORIGINAL: gids

idd didnt have the MP to go over the river :(

A spy! You said you wouldn't read!!!

(in reply to gids)
Post #: 26
RE: Pride goes before a Fall Blau - 42-45 GC AAR - 3/2/2011 7:33:32 PM   
Tarhunnas

Turn 5.

Well, that didn't end too well. One panzer, one motorized division lost, just because of overconfidence...

To top it, there was mud all over the map! I really don't like the possibility of mud in july when playing with random weather! Nothing much happening turn 5 due to the mud. Vlassov is slowly starving in his swamp, the small pockket north of Smolensk is still holding out (amazingly resilent they are). I make some spoiling attacks where I have good odds to keep the russkies from digging in.

The mud makes antipartisan operations almost impossible due to low movement.

I have instituted an aptidude test for my commanders (commanders report - leaders - sort on inf or mech). Some generals are apparently unfit for command! Paulus is replaced by Kempf, and some bad apples among the corps commanders are sent to command the army mess kit polishing school in Breslau and similar honorable posts.

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 27
RE: Pride goes before a Fall Blau - 42-45 GC AAR - 3/3/2011 9:01:04 AM   
Tarhunnas

Turn 6

The mud has dried up, just as mysteriously as it started. The SS troops have apparently beeen praying to some old Germanic weather god or other...

The turn is spent regrouping to more tenable positions in preparation for further operations. My armor is beginning to seem really depleted and Soviet resitance is stiffening appreciably.

In the North, Vlassov is still holding out in his swamp, despite serious attempts to induce surrender (including promises of important posts on the German side).

Map of southern sector after measures to straighten the front (not to be confused with retreats). End of German turn 6.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Tarhunnas -- 3/3/2011 9:02:39 AM >

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 28
RE: Pride goes before a Fall Blau - 42-45 GC AAR - 3/6/2011 5:01:32 PM   
Tarhunnas

In the Voronezh sector, I have an evil plan brewing. The Soviet forces on both sides of Lipetsk appear weak. I make some preliminary thrusts by the infantry and keep the Armor behind the front to let them rest. To hopefully shield them from enemy reconnnaisance, I park a panzer corps in Voronezh. No forests nearby, and the city is supposed to shield them from recon IIRC.

"In the city, the mighty city, the Panzers sleep tonight..."

Next turn, the infantry will attempt a breaktrough helped by the newly arrived 11th army. If the initial attacks go well, I will unleash the panzers...

Map of Voronezh sector and planned attacks, end of German turn 6.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 29
RE: Pride goes before a Fall Blau - 42-45 GC AAR - 3/6/2011 7:39:37 PM   
Tarhunnas

Turn 7

Success! The Lipetsk operation goes even better than planned! Relatively weak Soviet forces on the flanks are brushed aside and the panzers move in to encircle Lipetsk, and more importantly, the Soviet forces defending it. As an added bonus, Tambov is found ungarrisoned and occupied by an SS-brigade.

More good news. Vlassov finally surrenders in the north, and a small penetration is achevied north of Smolensk by local forces. The inhabitants of the Demyansk pocket are slowly oozing westwards towards safety.

Below map of textbook encirclement of Lipetsk. This time, nothing is left to chance! A double ring of encirclement with no holes to creep through. This operation will be studied at the panzer school for years to come...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> Pride goes before a Fall Blau - 42-45 GC AAR Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI