Matrix Games Forums

A new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936War in the West coming in December!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

disband issue - do I lose the pilots and planes?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> disband issue - do I lose the pilots and planes? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
disband issue - do I lose the pilots and planes? - 2/27/2011 11:05:15 AM   
obvert

So, for some groups that are reserved and used for training in the states, the withdraw option is not available. Yet they are scheduled to withdraw.

The disband option is usable, and when I use it it states the planes and pilots will be lost. Is this true? Did I train these pilots up for nothing?

I have been getting the good ones out early, but it seems silly to lose the planes as well. I don't have more crappy Bolos and P-26s to trade out the still useful P-40s and Hudsons.

I could wait to see if these pilots turn up somewhere, but I'm feeling a bit over-clicked lately, and just thinking this must be known and understood by many here already.

Thanks.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Post #: 1
RE: disband issue - do I lose the pilots and planes? - 2/27/2011 12:19:25 PM   
javnavy

Sorry I don't have that answer, but thanks for bringing it up. I thought it was just my bad luck (I'm cursed with computer gremlins). Why give me a restricted squadron with only 4-6 months on the board and not give me the 'withdraw' button? To hit disband and be warned you are losing pilots/planes for a unit I couldn't deploy-or get much training value from, didn't make much sense.

I'm looking forward to hearing on this (could this me a bug?)
Thanks

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2
RE: disband issue - do I lose the pilots and planes? - 2/27/2011 12:39:44 PM   
ADB123

This is a deliberate part of the Design. The air squadrons that can only be disbanded represent ones that were sent to other fronts and were no longer available to the Pacific War after a certain date.

You can always save the trained pilots by replacing them with green rookies.

Yes, it does take some planning and careful plane management to keep many of the more useful planes from the Restricted units, but with PDU "On" you do have some ability to do so.

(in reply to javnavy)
Post #: 3
RE: disband issue - do I lose the pilots and planes? - 2/27/2011 3:19:30 PM   
obvert

Thanks. Another place where a bit more instruction in the manual would help out. It would also be useful to have a replace all pilots button, so you don't sit there clicking for ten minutes getting 32 pilots out of each squadron.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to ADB123)
Post #: 4
RE: disband issue - do I lose the pilots and planes? - 2/27/2011 3:42:39 PM   
Tullius

Interesting is also that some formations are withdrawn by the game but used in the USA only as training squadrons and came later back. The 19th BG followed this part. At the start of the war it was in PHI, later transfered to Australia at the end of 1942 and then withdrawn in USA and served as training unit. At the end of the war the BG was back with B-29s. I would prefer when such units are not withdrawn in the game.

My Maximum Football Utilities:

http://www.abstract-football.com/max_tools.html

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 5
RE: disband issue - do I lose the pilots and planes? - 2/27/2011 4:13:38 PM   
Sardaukar

It is not bug. Units that have withdrawal date and have to be disbanded (no withdrawal button) historically went to other theaters with their planes and pilots.

You can replace their experienced pilots with rookies, sometimes you will even be able to "downgrade" their planes.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Tullius)
Post #: 6
RE: disband issue - do I lose the pilots and planes? - 2/27/2011 5:19:02 PM   
obvert

Well, 341 clicks and 27 minutes later I think all I'm losing is 93 rookies and mostly outdated planes, (along with 5 P-38E that had no available upgrade change).

And I've learned to be very careful with training squadrons. It is a haul getting them all sorted, but there is a strange masochistic enjoyment to getting the right guys into the rights planes at the right time.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 7
RE: disband issue - do I lose the pilots and planes? - 2/27/2011 7:57:39 PM   
anarchyintheuk

Either that or the beginning of an ocd.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 8
RE: disband issue - do I lose the pilots and planes? - 2/27/2011 8:28:56 PM   
obvert

More like the middle of the OCD.

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 9
RE: disband issue - do I lose the pilots and planes? - 2/27/2011 10:23:19 PM   
LonnyE

Ah, thanks about ready to ask the same question.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 10
RE: disband issue - do I lose the pilots and planes? - 2/27/2011 10:54:51 PM   
SuluSea

As mentioned in this area in the past if you press the "Y" key as the pilot is hi-lited you can save on mouse clicks. Still tedious at times but more economical way of moving pilots.

”How strangely will the Tools of a Tyrant pervert the plain Meaning of Words!” ~ Samuel Adams

(in reply to LonnyE)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> disband issue - do I lose the pilots and planes? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI