Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Breaktrough?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Breaktrough? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Breaktrough? - 2/20/2011 6:06:39 PM   
hoe ist?

I'v been playing against a soviet AI several times now and I find it very difficult to encircle or breaktrough soviet lines. The AI seems to pull back its forces behind a major river and wait for my troops. Then it's very difficult to punch a hole in the lines because there seems to always other soviet forces to plugg the hole. Any hints to break this deadlock?
Post #: 1
RE: Breaktrough? - 2/20/2011 6:20:48 PM   
cookie monster

Cant help until you provide a screenshot, of your available forces and the Soviet lines.

(in reply to hoe ist?)
Post #: 2
RE: Breaktrough? - 2/20/2011 8:01:36 PM   
2ndACR

River attacks hurt. No way around it. You just have to mass up 3 strong infantry Div in 1 stack and deliberate attack and cross your fingers. Before you do it, place a Panzer Corp directly behind the infantry, once they punch a hole, cross the river with your armor. Your armor will need almost max movement to cross the river into those ZOC but you are across and next turn begins the real break out.

But I am not the expert at it either. No matter how hard I push, I just cannot seem to make any serious headway after turn 6 or so. By turn 10 I have panzer div with 5-6 CV.

< Message edited by 2ndACR -- 2/20/2011 10:08:41 PM >

(in reply to cookie monster)
Post #: 3
RE: Breaktrough? - 2/21/2011 12:04:07 AM   
pat.casey

quote:

ORIGINAL: hoe ist?

I'v been playing against a soviet AI several times now and I find it very difficult to encircle or breaktrough soviet lines. The AI seems to pull back its forces behind a major river and wait for my troops. Then it's very difficult to punch a hole in the lines because there seems to always other soviet forces to plugg the hole. Any hints to break this deadlock?

The trick against the AI is to do your encirclements in one turn. The AI is reasonably good and not letting big salients develop in its line (which are easy to cut off), so you pretty much have to make your opportunities where you can.

That said, I've had pretty good success against the AI now that I've learned some of the game mechanics better. My first few AI games were ... challenging :).

There isn't really a trick, just a matter of execution:

1) Move your infantry up.
2) Use infantry to blast a hole
3) Move panzers through and exploit.
4) Keep panzer's supplied (I like to park the HQ on a panzer corps when in breakthrough mode).

Only other piece of advice is to say make sure you use your rail repair units.

(in reply to hoe ist?)
Post #: 4
RE: Breaktrough? - 2/21/2011 6:27:05 AM   
vsek

I have got the encirclements down to an art form. As a matter of fact I basically "encircle" my though the whole campgain.

Master rail repair and supply
know how hq buildup supply works

What I basically do to trick AI is a look at the map, I then concentrate my mobile units in one area back a hex or two from the front lines where I want the break out to occur. I make a feigned attack in some other viciinty with a limited break through(this way the computer keeps the bulk of their troops forward). Sure enough next turn they AI has moved a sizable chunk to secure my minor breakthough. Then my mobile units smash through the newly weakened lines. Works like a charm. You gotta understand suuply very well or your wasting you time though.

(in reply to pat.casey)
Post #: 5
RE: Breaktrough? - 2/21/2011 4:04:00 PM   
hoe ist?

How do I provide a screenshot?

Thanks for all the advice: I'll mass up my infantry with panzer divisions right behind it and will give that a try!

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 6
RE: Breaktrough? - 2/21/2011 4:10:13 PM   
hoe ist?

quote:

Thanks for all the advice: I'll mass up my infantry with panzer divisions right behind it and will give that a try!

Come to think of it; is it not the other way round? First in, panzers and then infantry?

(in reply to hoe ist?)
Post #: 7
RE: Breaktrough? - 2/21/2011 4:25:19 PM   
2ndACR

Shoot no, infantry and then your armor. Use the infantry to blast a hole, best for 3 hex wide and then you blast your armor thru.

While in game, press print screen, minimize game, open MS Paint or another program, hit edit, paste, and then save. Usually saves to Owner/pictures
then come back here, hit post reply, embed pic, upload your screen shot and you are good to go.

(in reply to hoe ist?)
Post #: 8
RE: Breaktrough? - 2/21/2011 4:25:40 PM   
NinetyNine

quote:

quote:

Come to think of it; is it not the other way round? First in, panzers and then infantry?

Infantry to break a line, panzers to exploit the breakthrough. On rivers you'll need the panzers high movement points to cross a river into a hex under enemy control. They then hold it until next turn when your infantry can cross.

(in reply to hoe ist?)
Post #: 9
RE: Breaktrough? - 2/21/2011 4:29:26 PM   
2ndACR

Crossing major river, make sure you have those tanks right behind the line too. It will take almost everything they have to cross.

(in reply to NinetyNine)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Breaktrough? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI