My aces fall far short of historical

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.
flyingduk

My aces fall far short of historical

Post by flyingduk »

Having played BOB and BTR through several times each, vs computer, I find whilst i do generate aces, they never score anywhere near the historical high scores... Galland, Molders and so on all scored 30+ in the real Battle of Britain, and the top Brits were in the 20s, yet i am yet to see an ace over 10 or 12 in my games. Similarly, in BTR i would rarely get a German ace over 20 or 30, no where near the 100 or so that the top Luftwaffe scorers reached in the West. Is the game missing that certain 'je ne sais quois' that let the top aces be what they were historically?
john_txic

RE: My aces fall far short of historical

Post by john_txic »

The RAF would have been glad to have aces scoring 20 or more in the BoB - I think Ginger Lacey, the top-scorer, got 17. 10 or 12 is about right.
The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind.
flyingduk

Post by flyingduk »

top Brit was apparently Lock on 23, with Lacey and McKellar 18 each http://jpgleize.perso.neuf.fr/aces/ww2bob.htm

top German was Wick on 42, Galland on 35, Oesau on 34, Molders 28
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Dont forget these figures are claims only, IMHO you could halve most of the figures.

Afterall, if the claims where believed the RAF was shot down 3 times and the Luftwaffe twice
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
HRL58

Post by HRL58 »

ORIGINAL: flyingduk

Having played BOB and BTR through several times each, vs computer, I find whilst i do generate aces, they never score anywhere near the historical high scores... Galland, Molders and so on all scored 30+ in the real Battle of Britain, and the top Brits were in the 20s, yet i am yet to see an ace over 10 or 12 in my games. Similarly, in BTR i would rarely get a German ace over 20 or 30, no where near the 100 or so that the top Luftwaffe scorers reached in the West. Is the game missing that certain 'je ne sais quois' that let the top aces be what they were historically?

I have only played the Talon soft versions of BOB & BTR, but in BoTR (as Axis) I always had some german pilots with more than 30 kills as early as dec 43 (still living), you could get pilots with 60-70 kills, at least in your Stab Schwarms, if you match them well and let them take on stragglers.

Return to “The War Room”