Matrix Games Forums

New information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What's the difference between LCS(L) and LCI(G)?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> What's the difference between LCS(L) and LCI(G)? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What's the difference between LCS(L) and LCI(G)? - 2/18/2011 6:53:51 AM   
Sredni

They're almost identical ships. The LCS(L) has a couple more AA guns, a bit more tonnage, slightly higher endurance, a little bit faster speed. But the LCI(G) can join amphibious landing TF's and the LCS(L) can only join barge and landing craft TF's.

Now I've never even tried out landing craft or barge TF's because the LCI's and LSM's are so very small, you'd be lucky to get a regiment loaded onto one TF. That and you can't put DD's, DE's, or APD's in a landing craft TF so you have no decent ASW resources protecting it! And no BB's or heavy units to counter CD fire. So landing craft and barge TF's have never seemed useful enough to me to look into actually using (am I missing something?).

But I'm starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel for landing fire support lately and I thought I'd use the LCS(L)'s I have laying around, only to discover they can't be put in amphib's. And it got me wondering why not heh.

Anyone know the reasoning that went to making LCI(G)'s amphib capable and LCS(L)'s incapable?
Post #: 1
RE: What's the difference between LCS(L) and LCI(G)? - 2/18/2011 1:11:02 PM   
Bullwinkle58

This

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landing_Craft_Support

basically says that even though they were built on the same hull form as the landing variety, they had different roles and filled a need learned after Tarawa.

The Moose

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 2
RE: What's the difference between LCS(L) and LCI(G)? - 2/18/2011 4:54:03 PM   
noguaranteeofsanity

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sredni
Anyone know the reasoning that went to making LCI(G)'s amphib capable and LCS(L)'s incapable?

Could it be the capacity to carry troops was removed/reduced with the LCS(L) and it lacked a bow ramp? The LCI(G) was a standard LCI with added guns if you like, while The LCS(L) was purpose built.

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 3
RE: What's the difference between LCS(L) and LCI(G)? - 2/18/2011 5:18:09 PM   
AW1Steve

The degree of their respective abilities to make loud "Boom" noises!

"Geezerhood is a state of mind, attained by being largely out of yours". AW1Steve

"Quit whining and play the game. Or go home". My 7th grade baseball coach. It applies well to WITP AE players.

(in reply to noguaranteeofsanity)
Post #: 4
RE: What's the difference between LCS(L) and LCI(G)? - 2/18/2011 11:02:29 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: noguaranteeofsanity

quote:

Could it be the capacity to carry troops was removed/reduced with the LCS(L) and it lacked a bow ramp? The LCI(G) was a standard LCI with added guns if you like, while The LCS(L) was purpose built.

I thought that too when I looked up the specs and saw what it was designed to do. But as I thought about it I'm not sure why you can include DDs and DEs in amphib TFs but not these guys. Not a big deal, just a headscratcher.

The Moose

(in reply to noguaranteeofsanity)
Post #: 5
RE: What's the difference between LCS(L) and LCI(G)? - 2/19/2011 7:07:15 AM   
Sredni

The more I read up about these types of ships the odder it seems that LCS(L)'s are limited to different TF types then the LCI(X) types. LCS(L) was used in the same capacity as LCI(G, R, and M) types, and was based on the same LCI hull. The LCS was just purpose built from hull up, but still an LCI hull, whereas the LCI (G,R,M) were simply modified LCI's.

Of the different types of landing ships. LST, LSD, LSV, LSM, LCI, LCI(R), LCI(M), LCI(G), LSM(R), and LCS(L). Only the LCS(L) cannot go into amphibious task forces. It's like it's classed along with barges instead of with the ocean going landing ships.

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 6
RE: What's the difference between LCS(L) and LCI(G)? - 2/19/2011 6:02:57 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

The more I read up about these types of ships the odder it seems that LCS(L)'s are limited to different TF types then the LCI(X) types. LCS(L) was used in the same capacity as LCI(G, R, and M) types, and was based on the same LCI hull. The LCS was just purpose built from hull up, but still an LCI hull, whereas the LCI (G,R,M) were simply modified LCI's.

Of the different types of landing ships. LST, LSD, LSV, LSM, LCI, LCI(R), LCI(M), LCI(G), LSM(R), and LCS(L). Only the LCS(L) cannot go into amphibious task forces. It's like it's classed along with barges instead of with the ocean going landing ships.

The best reason I can come up with is that the devs weighted these guys more to the firefighting/tow truck/support craft role than the gunship role they could also do. In those first roles they might make sense being seen as barge TF assistance. I'd have to say that unitl the OP I had never given LCS(L)s two thoughts. But it's an interesting question.

The Moose

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> What's the difference between LCS(L) and LCI(G)? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI