I won't finish issuing orders for the next turn until tomorrow morning, so I'm open to further comments. Very helpful insights and suggestions thus far - thanks gents. For instance, Cap's comment about sending more PBYs to Midway is a timely reminder. I am about ready to begin staging PBYs from Hawaii to Wake to Guam to the Philippines, but I can instead send one to Midway to augment the search.
Thanks, too, Cribtop for the KB fuel info; and to several of you having enough knowledge to say the oilers, if sunk, would be a meaningful blow.
Desicat makes a good point about Shokaku; and what is the likely destination for KB: Kwaj? Truk? Palau?
I am a good 12 hours away from making a decision, but I feel much better "armed" now to make a knowledgeable one.
Highlights from the turn:
1. West Virginia went down. This is totally my fault. I am ashamed of myself.
2. As you can gather, the KB moved to the northwest. No additional strikes on Pearl.
3. Steve left a transport convoy at Kuantan without CAP, and the RAF hammered a bunch of ships including three xAK, two AK, one LSD, and one xAP. The Japanese took Kuantan and Kota Bahru. That means enemy LBA can now project pretty far south, so I'll have to move Force Z a bit further east.
4. Tons - I mean TONS - of sub action, mostly ineffective.
5. Tons - I mean TONS - of hammering of Allied xAKLs in the South China Sea and Philippine Sea, with a few other classes sprinkled in.
6. Mini KB moved a tad bit south again, SE of Davao.
7. I'm adopting the Nemo-inspired plan to defend Palembang, though I'm already getting a bit of a late start. But I'll see if I can put some teeth into that defense.
8. I "bought" the big naval HQ at Manila and will extract part of it to a safer zone.
9. No idea, yet, what Steve might have in mind, but I'm mulling over all possibilities I can think of, including China first, Russia first, India, Oz, SoPac, Hawaii, and West Coast raid (of some sort).
He can live without the oilers. Can you live without the Lex?
"You never gamble more than you can afford to lose"
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.
Sigismund of Luxemburg